Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!

Go down 
+50
sophia
Max
Caz
wombat
Deb
TheCloudPainter
amthi
Oma
purplehaze
Denise1971
firefly71
Relle
Tamara
Couchsurfer
MissKax
lastchancelil
Gail
horseapplerancher
Jelle
minimizeme
Jillybean
El Jefe
kittycat
Magic Princess
ang
Sam
Xantia
tracefromspace
Kaili
Peter1969
jodi
jacquilove77
Cathy
Shanna
newlife
ssteph2342
Kiwi
chrysalis
Captain Legless
Donna-lee
Liquefied_stars
KahunaLou
applesauce
bigbugger71
Jezzybel
sue
nicolev1969
chrisbychic
FaddingAway
Admin
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 08 Jul 2008, 1:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hey all,

Firstly, I am going to put a warning here, so that everyone can see there will be some talk with appropriate adult content here. If you are easily offended, please dont read this thread it may not be for everyone, however, there are some valid questions that need asking and answering, and after all. this is the place for it!!!
Thanks gals and guys!

Hayley
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
wombat

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Mar 2009, 4:25 am

Risk serious surgery to loose weight? Not a problem
Remove 2/3 of my stomach? Not a problem
Change my eating habits for life? Not a problem

applesauce wrote:
Your legs are either spread apart and the surgen stands between them and does the surgery. Or your legs are placed in styrups like having a baby

OMG i wish I hadn't ventured into this thread, I *really* didn't need to know that choice bit of information. No wonder surgeons think their patients look good at their one month appointments!
:[img]http://sm :[img]http://sm :[img]http://sm The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 878453 The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 427584
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Mar 2009, 4:20 am

Hi Jacqui,

I really don't think it would be a leak after that long.

I have noticed that my stools are really dark in colour since the sleeve which I attribute to the very low quantity of carbs I eat while trying to lose weight.

I think your problem may be related to the crap food you have been eating and as you suggested, I would give it maybe a week of healthy eating to see if that sorts things out.

Leon may not be doing the sleeve at present (I'm not sure) but he is still consulting. I saw him a few weeks ago and have an appointment with him late next month for a 3 month check. I think you could get in to see him if you feel you need to.

Funny this topic should come up today. I normally have probs in the department we have been talking about- very small, hard and infrequent. Today I did a big bowl filler- just like the old days before surgery and with no problems at all. Well...YOU started it.

Jaqui, I am sorry to hear that life has been hard lately, and sorry to hear about your relative's passing.
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Mar 2009, 3:22 am

alright - here's a really gross subject for you all.
i've had a good experience with the sleeve
i was healthy although overweight prior to the surgery.
i've been good with my food and exercising most of the time.
in the last week or two i haven't been so good, there's been a death in the family and a lot of travelling, eating on the run and basically not caring about what i eat until all the stuff gets sorted.
now i'm ready to get back on track

in the last couple of days i've noticed my faeces to be very dark, oily and sticky. to the point where i'll generally have a shower after gonig to the loo because it's not wiping clean very well. last night i had a HUGE stool which would not flush - i had to keep flushing and got to the point where i had to use the toilet brush to break it up and eventually got it down. (toilet brush now thrown away - must get a new one today) it was very traumatic HAHAHAHAH and it smelt AWFUL!

now, part of me is thinking it's just due to the poor diet i've had lately, much more unhealthy fat than usual which perhaps my small stomach is struggling to digest thus letting go of the awful fatty stuff in the faeces.

but another part worries that it might be some internal bleeding, i saw someone on here had talked about having leaks. i'm feeling ok apart from a little indigestion which again might just be the crappy food i've been having.

i haven't seen my surgeon in ages, i'm eight and a half months post-op and it's quite difficult for me to get out to see him (a long drive, work is crazy and difficult to get time off, and he's usually pretty fully booked). also my surgeon was leon cohen who i have heard rumours isn't involved in the bariatric surgery anymore. i'm not sure whether to book an appointment with the centre or maybe see a GP which will be easier to do.

or maybe just wait until i've been eating healthier for a few days and see what effect that has before doing anything?

any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 7:04 am

Tnanks for the replies. Luckily I've not got diabetes or PCOS etc. I did come off the Pill the month before the op to help prevent DVTs so maybe its just doing what it feels like. Just wish it would come so I can go back on the Pill.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 6:22 am

Not the sleeve itself stuffing up your cycle but the fact you had a general plus a major change in eating habbits. All play a big part in messing with your cyble. It can go either way. Tho I gather if you diabetic and or taking metaformin it is more likely to be forced bleeding than the other way around. But again it is more likely not a yes this will happen, or a no chance of periods stopping.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 5:24 am

Gail - I've had the opposite problem, even though I am on the pill I get my period at all different times. So from my point of view having the sleeve can stuff up your cycles.

Im just giving it a few more weeks to settle down, and if I am still having problems I am going to go to the gp and see what she says.
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 4:03 am

Hi everyone

Quick question, can being sleeved muck up your monthly cycle? I know I'm not pregnant as it would be immaculate conception, but things aren't happening when they should if you get my drift.

Thanks
Gail
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 25 Feb 2009, 11:18 am

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

Can I just clarify that things seem to be OK in the BM department thanks to daily Benefibre.
Motions are only about every 4 days I would estimate though due to low intake of food.

It is more of a fascinated observation here- I have often had the sensation of needing to poo and gone to the toilet to do so only to find that it is only air that wants to come out. I have had gas in the past but prior to the op I knew the difference between gas and needing to do a BM. I was wondering if I am alone in this? I am not distressed about it at all.

Re the burping. I don't really notice increased burping, just that they are small and lady-like now as opposed to the noisy belches that sometimes came out prior to the op. Again I am not concerned about it but was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience.

As an aside, an ex-boyfriend used to joke that my burps came from Satan's Bottom because they smelt so bad. I suspect that the hiatus hernia repair might have fixed this problem but don't have anyone close to be burped on to find out!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 24 Feb 2009, 7:56 pm

No, Deb, you are definititely not alone with your BM and burping problems.
All I can say is that things will improve over time. Your BMs will become more normal, but you may need help in the short term.
And the burping - it took me months before I was able to have a proper burp again, but now it's all good.
But hey, in the scheme of things, if that's all that's worrying you - you're doing well!
Hugs
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 24 Feb 2009, 3:21 pm

Keeping someobdy under longer than is needed is just not safe when it comes to most having weight loss surgery as most have health issues to begin with. Being that heavy makes it risky enough as it is, and most times only life saving surgery will be done at such weight.

They do lipo as in large amounts of now to drop 10kg or so BUT it is high risk comapaired to the stuff skinny girls have on their little bums. this is because that fat has blood vessels feeding it and can trigger massive blood lose if not very careful.

applesauce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 24 Feb 2009, 1:28 pm

TheCloudPainter wrote:
Faddingaway - is that a new way to get the *seamed stocking* look? LOL!
On a serious note, I have to wonder why a burn unit wouldn't want some of the excess skin?
Just a thought... *S*

On an even more serious note, how come the surgeons just snip the stomach out...why not scrape some fat out at the same time..liposuction ect. The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 697586
Back to top Go down
TheCloudPainter
Part of the furniture
TheCloudPainter

Female
Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 24 Feb 2009, 1:21 pm

Eeeeeek!
*yanks the sheets up to my neck, blushing hotly*
Ohhhh my Gawd!
There's a GUY in here!
Are they allowed I'm here? LOL!!
The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 2329
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thecloudpainter
Couchsurfer

Male
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-12-30

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 24 Feb 2009, 12:05 pm

Deb, you're not alone. I've had to resort to some little helpers from the medicine cabinet on more then one occasion.

Frustrating doesn't begin to describe how it feels while you're sitting there waiting, does it?
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 24 Feb 2009, 11:38 am

Pardon the colourful language, but I am just going to say it like it is...

I have not heard anyone else describe this phenomena post sleeve so I am wondering if I am alone in this.

I go to the toilet with my bowel convinced in needs to do a huge poo. When I sit down on the seat only air comes out and I didn't really need to go at all. I have experienced gas before, but this has me fooled so often and it didn't feel like that in the past.

Also burps have changed. I used to do good ol' loud Aussie Shiela burps sometimes. Since the op my burps are small and silent.
Back to top Go down
TheCloudPainter
Part of the furniture
TheCloudPainter

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Feb 2009, 5:00 pm

jacquilove77 - they insert a foley cath into your urethra and then blow up a little balloon with air so it can't be pulled out, without causing MUCH PAIN.

I was so nervous about that, as my period had started 2 days before my surgery.
I asked the nurse about that, NOT THE GOOD LOOKING YOUNG MALE DOCTOR that was there, and she said to not worry about that. They'd take the tampon out and put a pad on when you get cathed. Mortified, I finally let it go as I laid on the OR table, thinking these were all medical professionals, they've seen everything before...
Much to my surprise, when I woke up later, sure enough, my panties were gone, but the tampon was still in place.
Very tricky to change that the same day as my surgery... with a foley in place... ugh!

I blushed to high heaven just thinking about it afterward... *S*
Back to top Go down
TheCloudPainter
Part of the furniture
TheCloudPainter

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Feb 2009, 4:49 pm

Faddingaway - is that a new way to get the *seamed stocking* look? LOL!
On a serious note, I have to wonder why a burn unit wouldn't want some of the excess skin?
Just a thought... *S*
Back to top Go down
amthi

Female
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-10-05

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 11 Feb 2009, 4:21 am

Oma, ive got a bit of the batwings going with my arms due to prolonged increase of weight and muscle wastage due to 2 tennis elbows (dont play tennis!) am not looking forward to these getting worse. Friend who is a fitness instructor just says, protein and exercise - easier said than done.. best of luck
Back to top Go down
Oma
Oma

Female
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 09 Feb 2009, 6:26 pm

Thank you ladies for your replys, does exercise help fill in he lose skin with new muscles as opposed to fat? Just wondering if I should be doing more of that type of thing prior to weight loss surgery as well as after. Just trying to psych myself with what I need to prepare myself with. I know my skin has stretched out on my legs and arms. I could actually feel it pulling when I was at my highest weights and nothing I could do about it. I could feel the strain on the skin and know it was pulling, as you say like a balloon filled up with air, except I was filled up with fat. Arggggghhh.
Thanks for a reality check, I guess I will deal with that when the time comes. I am sure the hospital does the work for health related issues, so will have to come up with all those reasons after surgery is done.
Oma
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 09 Feb 2009, 5:25 pm

I agree with Chris,
But the skin can only be stretched for so long without losing its shrink factor. Like a balloon you know if you blow it up and let it down straight away it will go back, keep doing it and it won't go back all the way( yoyo dieting) or leave it blown up for a long time and not return at all. Sorry just a fact of weight loss.
With the stomch and being over weight for a long time the muscles in the adbomin actually come apart so no amount of sit ups will put it back .A tummy tuck( abdominoplasty) is the only answer.Where the muscles are stitched back together.But hey you get that flat tight tummy, excellent The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 446871 Oh and they take that skin that is left over.lol.
We should be able to donate that somewhere! Gee I did try to donate my fat to the starving nations , but that one didn't work. (bad joke sorry)
I am saving my $ for a bottom lift and leg refit , if you know what I mean.lol
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 09 Feb 2009, 7:18 am

I'm not sure there's anything much you can do about it, Oma. Depending on how long you've been obese, and how obese you were, and how old you are, the amount that you are left with will differ - but I was told that it's just one of those things that you have to accept will happen and then deal with it however you choose.
I'd be happy if there's any conflicting advice!
Chris - who is currently admiring her slimmer, shapely legs, but having fun playing with the saggy baggy bits!
Back to top Go down
Oma
Oma

Female
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Any insight in reducing loose skin during weight loss?   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyMon 09 Feb 2009, 5:36 am

I have a question for anyone who has already lost a lot of weight and has avoided having the lose skin we read about. Does anyone have any insight or advice on how to avoid this as much as possible so as not to have to worry about surgery after weight loss?
I haven't read anything other than exercise helps. Is there anything else anyone can advise?]
Thanks,
Oma
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 Jan 2009, 11:06 am

firefly71 wrote:
hi all

has anyone got any remedies/had any experience with constipation...had my op last friday and haven't been since!! is it something i need to let the doc know or can i sort it myself??

Hi Firefly,

you might want to check out the following thread

http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-post-op-page-f4/about-constipation-and-bowel-movements-with-the-sleeve-t66.htm?highlight=constipated
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 15 Jan 2009, 7:39 am

We are not alone!!!!!!!!!
Following my surgery I didn't go for about 5 days then they gave me a liquid and I went for three days very loose. Have been struggling since I came home. Have been taking Agoral twice a day, doctor told me not to take Benefibe until things settle down a bit. The Agoral wasn't working so I have some Movicol (much stronger, used for cleaning out the bowel before colostomy etc). Anyway, a few days of that then back onto the Agorol seems to have helped but I still feel uncomfortable at times, as if I haven't really emptied. At least I am back to daily.
The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 308167
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Jan 2009, 9:23 pm

yep as Chris has said..you are not alone
I have pain meds and they help to cause constipation so I take senicot every day, if I wanna go that is.and hey the scales say yes you wanna go.lol
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 14 Jan 2009, 7:29 pm

Hi Firefly
Has anyone had it? Did you read from the beginning of this thread? You're definitely not alone! And sometimes you can get the opposite problem, as well.
Don't worry - it does settle down after a while. But in the meantime, a lot of people benefit from benefibre.
Good luck, and take a longer look at this thread for some useful info.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!   The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Thread for those awkward Questions-Warning!!!-May offend!!!
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next