AuthorMessage
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

Newbie questions. So many questions... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie questions. So many questions...   Newbie questions. So many questions... EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015, 2:07 pm

Here's my answers.  sorry there rushed... pls excuse my spelling mistakes!

Day 2 after surgery was my what the hell have I done day... but after that I have been fine.

I don't feel left out re food, and I don't miss anything I can eat a little bit of everything and I'm not as interested in bread as I used to be.  Its not like I made a choice to not eat it, its just not that interesting anymore.  I will eat it occasionally.  I have my moments.

I eat about a cup of food give or take.  I focus on eating more protein.  So, for example I have a cup of bolongnese sauce.  Or a crustless quiche the size a of a normal meat pie etc.  or I go out for breaky a lot and order chispy bacon, avocado and goats cheese (3 sides).

Nope, can't drink a bottle of water in one go.  It takes my possibly 30 minutes, of actually drinking to drink a 600ml bottle.  Its hard to explain, but 1 y & about 3 month post op I can now drink 4 'small gulps' of water in one go.  I also hardly ever have plain water, I have half water half juice, or ribena.  Makes it easier for me to get it down.

For me it was hard at the start to get my head around the food I could or couldn't eat.  I weas scared I would stuff something up so I took it easy.  But on the other hand my head was also saying... eat... while my body said... woah! stop... too much...  It did take a while to sort that out.  Also getting used to being organised for lots of small meals.  I always bought my foo every day at work.  So that was a big change for me. Being organised food wise.  Even now... I find myself at 10 in the evening opening the fridge and cupboards because I am hungry.  I end up eating savoys or other cheeky things before bed.
Gotta get out of that habbit (but its easy for my head to convince me its only 6 savoys, what harm can it do...)

Also... going ot teh loo for the first few weeks was a nightmare!  Got better but took me quite a while to be 'regular' again.

Peoples questions are also hard to deal with, and you need to sort out what your going to say if people ask before hand.  Unless your a quick thinkier.  There was a couple of times I was totally shocked at the things people asked or said to me.

I haven't told anyone except my brother and siter-in-law.  I did tell my Osteo and naturpath, but really they don't count... hehe  I have also told random people I know I will never see again!  But I didn't tell my parents of any friend int he end.  When I brought it up before hand, I got more negative comments than positive, so decided to go at it alone and see how I went. 

But thats my experience. 

Maybe read some of the diaries to get a better understanding of what people have gone through.  Especially for the first few months after surgery some of them are really good and really detailed with the good, bad and ugly.

There are risks, and you need to take them into account as well.
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Newbie questions. So many questions...   Newbie questions. So many questions... EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015, 12:07 pm

I just wrote about my WTH moment over on the June thread.  Go have a read, and the replies.  People here are marvellous.  

No real other negatives for me so far.  I am glad I spent the months before the surgery losing a bit of weight and getting fitter.  I do think that has helped my recovery.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie questions. So many questions...   Newbie questions. So many questions... EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015, 11:55 am

Also what is weighing on my mind is the loose skin issue. Statistically how high is this?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie questions. So many questions...   Newbie questions. So many questions... EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015, 11:46 am

Hi Box Of Jewels.

Thank you for your reply. Have you had any other "negatives"? And what was it that triggered your wth moment?
Are you positive as well?
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Newbie questions. So many questions...   Newbie questions. So many questions... EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015, 11:43 am

I'm only a month out, so can't answer most of your questions.  But, given I had my "what the hell have I done" moment today....I'm guessing the answer for 1. is Yes.  Even if it's only fleeting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Newbie questions. So many questions...   Newbie questions. So many questions... EmptyTue 18 Aug 2015, 11:32 am

Hi guys.

Here goes, I had my first appointment with Dr. Harsha Chandraratna a week ago. I have been approved to get the sleeve. Next April as thats when PHI kicks in. Im 100kgs and Ive never been more sure of anything in my life for multiple reasons. My eating habits are affecting my son, (he over eats and eats too much) my partner went through cancer so had chemo and was told if he doesn't change his own eating habits he will end up with heart problems.

ANYWAY I've done some research and even watched youtube videos. A few posters wrote about things like regret, missing food, turning into a completely different person, complications etc etc. 

What I want to know is 
1. Is it normal to go through a "i should have never have done this" phase?
2. Do you feel left out and miss food so much it makes you sad?
3. After everything settles down after surgery how much can you eat per meal?
4. Can you drink a bottle of water easily in one go?
5. Are there things that hard to deal with post op?
6. Who have you told and how did they take it?

Ive told my partner and he's 100%. I don't think i can tell anyone else, parents, in laws etc. I KNOW they wouldn't be supportive especially my mum. They'd be a lot of criticism and i don't need that. Was anyone able to keep it a secret?? And if so how when you eat so little now? I live in Australia and all my other family live in NZ so ill only see them once a year but how would i hide how much i don't eat anymore?

Thanks so much to all who take the time to read this. I really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie questions. So many questions...   Newbie questions. So many questions... Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie questions. So many questions...
Page 1 of 1