64 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
shazza73

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Alcohol   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptySun 24 Aug 2008, 3:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone

I could not find another post on this, So I hope its ok. Im not a raving alcoholic but a couple of times a year eg. weddings, christmas etc I like to drink too much , do you think this is possible with the sleeve, I still wont to be able to enjoy these types of things, especially much thinner.

sharon
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
nimue
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Jul 2010, 1:47 am

I was invited to have a glass about 8 days out , took 2 sips and thought yuk... then last week (6weeks out) I drank 3/4 of a bottle of Margret River Tate and loved it, got a bit tipsy and was seedy the next morning, but that nothing new LOL Tiny Terri
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Jul 2010, 10:09 pm

I am not a big alcoholic drinker, but do enjoy a few vodka's when I got out and have been doing so since I was 3-4 weeks post-op. And yes it is fluids......love i Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 314541
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Jul 2010, 1:27 pm

ssjad wrote:

It's a fluid isn't it? Surely as soon as you're cleared for fluids... I think you should have taken some into hospital with you!

Love it! I'm with ssjad. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://gastricsleevesandy.blogspot.com/
Tinker

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Jul 2010, 1:16 pm

I just had some wine with dinner - went down a treat! although only 1/4 of a glass just in case, going to increase quantity slowly ;)

I'm 12 days out...

Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Jul 2010, 1:09 pm

keryn2010 wrote:
Hi All,

How long do I need to wait before I can have a sip of the liquid gold?? My Doc didnt mention it....

It's a fluid isn't it? Surely as soon as you're cleared for fluids... I think you should have taken some into hospital with you!

I'm pretty sure I'd had a drink by 8 days, but like the others I didn't really feel like it... just being sociable!
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
keryn2010
keryn2010

Female
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Jul 2010, 7:26 am

*sigh* so 8 days is a little early......god give me strength then Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 595690
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Jul 2010, 7:02 am

I had a bourbon and coke 3 weeks post op, but I just sipped it and it took me over an hour to drink (more like 2 hours), but no problems with it though.
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Jul 2010, 6:42 am

I had red wine at 3 weeks post op, no problem. I really didn't feel like it before that.
Back to top Go down
http://gastricsleevesandy.blogspot.com/
keryn2010
keryn2010

Female
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Alcohol!!   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 27 Jul 2010, 6:27 am

Hi All,

How long do I need to wait before I can have a sip of the liquid gold?? My Doc didnt mention it....
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 6:40 am

the sleeve doesnt have this magical effect on how you handle booze as so many misunderstand. You tho have VERY little food in that new tummy to sop up that booze and then slowely release it into your system. It tends to hit you rather fast and hard. Straight to the blood stream. Most people tho find they sober up rather fast. I would advise not driving the first few times you have a drink, and be prepared for 1/2 to one drink making you feel very silly. As you progress and are able to eat more the feeling will lessen to a degree when you drink with more food in your stomach. But quiet a few tend to find they still get that inital rapid silly rapid sobber feeling an hour later to a degree still.

Do be aware that these drinks take up room that you need for food, and that you should really limit them until you can comfortably get in an entree size meal and a glass of drink at the same time. BUT having said that every body has a life and should enjoy it. I limit my drinks to when out, that seems to work for me. everybody has to find the balance that works for them. But hey once a week drinkies with the girls is not going to hurt anybody :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
renee3012
renee3012

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Is it true alcohol affects you quicker after the sleeve?   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Mar 2010, 5:33 am

Hi everyone,

I am only 4 weeks out so I haven't had a drink yet, however I was wondering after having the sleeve does alcohol affect you more? I am not a big drinker but occasionally will go have a drink with the girls after work. Just wanted to know so I don't total myself! lol

P.S I drink Vodka and Orange Juice

Thanks
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 6:29 am

a lot trying the tipple for the first time try things like kahlua and milk or balies and milk. Just giving their stomach that lining with the booze. I had kahlua and milk about 3 weeks out and sipped 1 shot in milk over and entire evening out hehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 4:32 am

So spilll...what did you do? Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 50622
Back to top Go down
Skrappy

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2010, 4:03 am

I did this at about 3 weeks post-op haha.

Took the whole shot of tequila at once and it filled my little tummy up almost straight away. Felt absolutely terrible. Had the alcohol sit in my tummy for about 30 min whilst I got stupidly hot and was pouring sweat like no tomorrow. Felt hammered for about an hour and also had to go to the bathroom to 'dry-reach' (gag).

Haven't taken a shot since then haha. If I do then sipping might be a better option.

I'd suggest a mixed drink like vodka and orange juice or jack and coke (if you can handle fizzy).

Last edited by Skrappy on Sat 20 Feb 2010, 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Feb 2010, 10:54 am

1 should be fine but be VERY careful if you are driving and do make sure you are eating with it :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
LJohn

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-16

PostSubject: How long until you can have alcohol?   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Feb 2010, 10:51 am

I'm djing at a party right now (posting from iPhone) wondering what would happen if I did a shot of tequila.

3 weeks in eating cruskits and canned tuna and bolognaise chewing a lot. Could I handle a drink or 2?
Back to top Go down
xbandit

Female
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyWed 13 Jan 2010, 5:03 am

I only got sleeved last Tuesday...so I haven't had a drink yet. When I was on the band, though, I used to enjoy my optifast..by turning it into a cocktail of some sort. Bannana Rama or Toblerone...or some such thing. I was getting a bit worried myself especially after seeing a thing on Oprah.

Oprah did a show on people having bariatric surgery and then becomming alcoholics ... Aparently after surgery the alcohol effect you quicker. It was also suggested that we swap one compulsion (overeating) for another.

Cheers (whoops)... Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 878453
Back to top Go down
El Jefe
El Jefe

Male
Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyThu 07 Jan 2010, 3:26 pm

I find that I can eat a lot over a very short amount of time when I am drinking alcohol. I don't know if it loosens everything up down there or what. Two bourbon and cokes and I am drunker than Cooter Brown these days... However, I do sober up fast, and never have a hangover anymore...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?id=138585
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyWed 06 Jan 2010, 11:24 am

Sorry thought you were talking about drinking water... I don't drink alcohol, not much help there. havent drunk for a long time now.
Back to top Go down
garysweat

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-01-04

PostSubject: struglling with alcohol!!   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 9:26 pm

ever since my surgery, may 09, lost 100 lbs, but struggling with drinking everyday!! anyone have the same problem??
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 7:17 am

Thanks for your comments guys!!

I think I need to take up eating little nibblies while I drink. Hey its a sacrifice but I'm sure I can manage to put away some cheese and crackers with my red vino to avoid a hangover.

Life is so cool post-sleeve
Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 314541

ps: You are looking fantastic Libby!!!
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 6:31 am

I just get really giggly, really quickly. But no hang over.
Back to top Go down
manda
manda

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 EmptySun 03 Jan 2010, 7:57 pm

see i am 8 weeks post op and i dont have this trouble, i can still drink a bottle of wine and feel perfectly fine with no drunkeness or hangover the next day... HOWEVER i eat little things like crackers and cheese the whole time i am drinking so the food absorbes most of the alcohol before my body does... this was recommended by my dietician, but i have always been able to drink a fair bit if i ate with it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Alcohol after Sleeve
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next