64 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
shazza73

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Alcohol   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptySun 24 Aug 2008, 3:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone

I could not find another post on this, So I hope its ok. Im not a raving alcoholic but a couple of times a year eg. weddings, christmas etc I like to drink too much , do you think this is possible with the sleeve, I still wont to be able to enjoy these types of things, especially much thinner.

sharon
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Dec 2010, 5:57 pm

I went to my staff Christmas party last night and over the course of the evening drank a whole bottle of sparkling wine.......went down a treat, along with the food I grazed on.

I haven't had any problems with alcohol since being sleeved, and I think I was only 3 weeks out when I had my first vodka! It doesn't affect me any differently than it did before I was sleeved. I only drink once a week/fortnight socially, so not a big drinker.
Back to top Go down
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Alcohol after the sleeve.   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Dec 2010, 11:17 am

So it's coming up to the festive time! YAY!
When can we drink after a sleeve? (Never fear, I'm off to see my dietician next week and will ask her what she recommends) but am curious as to when you tasted booze again after the sleeve?

I'm only new out and don't want to drink, yet! :P
But coming up to Xmas and new years... I wouldn't mind some champers!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyThu 23 Sep 2010, 8:23 am

there is NOTHING that stops you having a drink with the sleeve. The volume you can drink tho will be reduced. Greately so in the first few months. You will also feel the effects a lot faster in the first few months as there is not the usal volume of food in your stomach to absorb and slowely release the alcahol into your system. but by about 6 months you will be back to drinking wine and spirits pretty much the same as before. Beer and large cocktails still tend to be limited to a degree. You do tho need to remember that when you have food in your stomach the amount of drink you can fit in becomes dramaticly less but enjoying a glass of wine with dinner is no problem then a couple more after.

You also have to remember that it is empty calories and can slow weight loss, but everybody needs a life and enjoying a drink or two once a week or the occassional big night out is not going to hurt.

I tend to stick to double bailies it takes up no room hehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyThu 23 Sep 2010, 7:22 am

Hi,
I am not a big drinker but love my glass or two of wine on a Friday night.
If I go out sometimes a gin and tonic or ouzo and coke, no issues.

Love my sleeve, now get called a pixie which I love after being overweight my whole life LOL
If you are overweight and have and are struggling with your weight, my advise, just do it (I know I sound like a Nike adLOL)

This is without doubt the best best best thing that I have ever done for me.
If you are in two minds read some of the diaries and go to the gallery and have a look at people journey there.
Good luck
Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
Kylie0707

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyThu 23 Sep 2010, 6:03 am

Thankyou. I am not a regular drinker but when I go out I like to have a few and have fun.

How do you like the sleeve, any problems. I am in two minds about it and just dont know what to do.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Kylie0707

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Drink alcohol   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyThu 23 Sep 2010, 5:42 am

Hi,

Just wondering if you can still drink alcohol when you have the gastric sleeve done.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptySun 05 Sep 2010, 3:19 am

Hi,
I can drink about 1/3 what I used to and if I go a little more than that, instant leggless LOL
You shouldn't have a problem with the coke zero as long as you let it go flat first and drink it slowly.
I have not stopped eating or drinking anything since the sleeve, that is what I love so very much about it.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
alotta

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-09-05

PostSubject: Phew!!   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptySun 05 Sep 2010, 2:08 am

I'm new to this but I am so glad I will be able to drink post op! I know it sounds silly but it has been something I've really been concerned about!
Probably won't be able to have my usual ..vodka & coke zero but I'm happy to change. And by the sounds of it I most probably won't be able to drink as much as normal (which is somewhere between 10-20 vodkas in a night out) for some reason it takes a lot to get me drunk! ...Hopefully as my weight decreases it will take less :-)
I love this forum, there is so much helpful info on it!
Back to top Go down
jac
jac

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Aug 2010, 11:55 am

ROFLMAO Lynette!!! That is hilarious. I have to go out for a social dinner with my hubbie's work in about 2.5 weeks and I hope that doesn't happen to me. I will only be 4-5 weeks out but thought I might have a small drink with diet soda and ask for lots of ice.... Wish me luck - it would be very embarrassing for hubbie if I plonked my head down on the table!!! hehehe
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Aug 2010, 4:04 am

Well I have to say got a bit caught out myself the other day. Was enjoying a glass of wine or three when mum and dad were over for a visit on election day. Now I have to say these were large glasses of wine (probably double the standard drink, lol). I got very very inebriated and I realised why (as I had drunk before but didn't get so p.......). I had not eaten since breakfast cause I forgot. hmmm. Had 1 slice of bacon, 1 egg and 1 piece of toast for breakfast, then nada all day till I had the wine. Needless to say, went straight to my head. My partner then came home from work after I had consumed 1 glass and he knew straight away given the flush in my face that I was reacting to the wine. So after parents gone and carefully munching ungainly through 3/4 of a parstie, my head then gently blonked down on the dining table, my partner then gently guided me to the couch where I was out to it for a couple of hours. Apparently quite funny according to partner (don't think he had seen me quite that p....... before, so much for me dressing up for him in my heals and stockings (and not much else) as I had promised. ROFL). lol. (oh and I should add but maybe not cause would be admitting something - smoking some hmmmmm may have had something to do with it as well. OH DEAR, Im such a bad girl sometimes, oh and that was before and after the parent visit). Still I enjoyed myself and when I was a bit more compos mentos, so to speak, partner put on an hilarious dvd Carl something or other comedian stand up show, so, so funny, so then pissed myself laughing as well. What a night. So definitely a 3 pot screamer now.
Lesson learned, eat before you consume too much vino. LOL.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Aug 2010, 3:46 am

Emily - you could always tell them you're giving up. I used to hate it when people pressured me to smoke (back in the days when it was strange to be the one that didn't smoke rather than the one that did). I never smoked, but I did resort to telling people I'd just given up - and strangely they used to leave me alone then. Very odd.

I don't drink a huge amount, but can drink wine now at the rate I used to before surgery.
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Aug 2010, 3:38 am

One year out and one glass of wine would be my absolute max limit and even then maybe not even that much. Alcohol hits me hard now.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 9:04 pm

I am a vodka drinker and I think I was about 4 weeks post-op when I had my first diet.
No problems, just plenty of ice to cut the bubbles.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 6:18 pm

I was 24 days postop when I went out last night and didn't know if I could have my usual vodka diet coke, due to the bubbles. So I had a glass of sangria. Didn't taste very nice so sipped verrrry slowly and only drank half the glass over about 2.5hrs. My friends (who don't know about surgery) were very confused by my slow drinking! Luckily I only flew in from overseas 2 days ago so could tell them I am still jetlagged and weird. Hoping this settles.. if I can't do happy hour, the people at work will know there's something wrong!
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 12:04 pm

The only change I noticed is it takes longer to drink a beer or something with soft drink in it because its gassy. Wine...no difference. Inebriated state...same as before...depends what mood/time of month I'm in....
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 11:41 am

Hasn't stopped me. Love drinks and nibbles.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 11:12 am

for the first couple of months anything more than a sip or 2 is a bit difficult after that it is fine. Just remember in the early stages that you need room for food that alcahol takes up so stick to just a glass over an evening. But pretty soon you will be able to enjoy an entree size meal and a glass of what ever you fancy then another one later on in the evening. Tho beer usally takes a bit longer to drink in more than half a glass amounts as very froathy.

But go out with a bunch of sleevers for dinner and you will see plenty of them enjoying a drink or 2 and the odd 3 hehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Elle81

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-08-16

PostSubject: Sleeve + alcohol   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 9:01 am

Hi

I'm looking at having the sleeve done and I'm wondering will I be able tro drink alcohol after the procedure?

I do enjoy a social drink and its not something I particualy want to give up and I'm wondering for those who have had the sleeve have you noticed any change in your intake and tolerance levels?
Back to top Go down
keryn2010
keryn2010

Female
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyWed 28 Jul 2010, 10:18 am

Diamonds,

Ive got a toddler, need I say more.....?? Mind youa toddler that is 2 in 1 week and is already very defiant, its going to be a long year.

I sms'ed my doc hehehehe and asked. He said of course they dont recommend it, but i can, just a tiny bit as I will now be a cheap date - something my husband is very happy about, o more 2 bottles of wine/champers and a few beers for good measure for me!

BUT I am going to wait till the weekend and maybe have 1/4 glass to see how I go, just dont want to hurt myself!

And ssjad, we could get on very well hahaha :D

Cheers!

Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyWed 28 Jul 2010, 4:29 am

I had a little at a week out, didn't love it.
4 weeks out no problems, lovely glass of white wine.
Problem is that even now if I have the second glass I am slurring my words.
I get leggless so very fast these days, mind you I only have the two glasses on a friday night.

Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 EmptyWed 28 Jul 2010, 1:47 am

I was invited to have a glass about 8 days out , took 2 sips and thought yuk... then last week (6weeks out) I drank 3/4 of a bottle of Margret River Tate and loved it, got a bit tipsy and was seedy the next morning, but that nothing new LOL Tiny Terri
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alcohol after Sleeve   Alcohol after Sleeve - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Alcohol after Sleeve
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next