Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
xena-warriorprincess
xena-warriorprincess

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post Op Questions... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 11:11 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

My surgery is in 7 weeks but I find some nights I cannot sleep with questions going through my head and feeling so ready to go. It's going to be a looooooong 7 weeks for me! I have some questions I would like to ask those of you who are post surgery. Hope you don't mind! :)

1 Immediately after surgery were you in pain, apart from the shoulder tip pain? What did you have to ease the pain? Was it a pump thingy (I know, great english huh?);
2 Did you have a drain? If yes, how many? Did they hurt coming out and how long were they in for?
3 Did you feel different right away after surgery? Was it evident part of your stomach had been removed, as in did it feel different?
4 Were you weighed in Hospital as you went along or did this happen later at say the Surgeon visit after the operation;
5 Were you up and walking about the first day or did it take a couple of days to get back on your feet?
6 I'm a mum of 3, with a house to keep and cats to feed and all of the standard chores a Mum does. Do you think it would be wise to stay in Hospital the full 5 days after surgery to make sure I rest? I know me and I know I won't be able to resist cleaning the house;
7 I am taking 7 weeks off work all up. This is a purely vain question but do you think my weight will have dropped a fair bit from the 110kgs I currently am and how did you handle questions around how you went about losing the weight?

Thank you so much if you have managed to make it this far. :cheers:

Best Regards.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Neat

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Reflux   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptySun 02 Oct 2011, 8:01 pm

Hi

chasedbytigers and josie2, thanks for getting back to me. My doc had me back in for another gastroscopy the day after I called, first of all they gave me a light anaesthetic but I coughed so much where my oesophagus was so burnt, that they gave me a much stronger anaesthetic, once he saw my stomach he drained out the gastric acid. Im now on nexium once in the morning, and sulfracate half an hour before meals and another before bed, Im also on zantac one before bed and maxolone 2 before bed. It's been 5 nights now that I havn't woke up choking, and I have a voice back too, the acid burnt me so bad I was really croakey, then after surgery I had NO VOICE for 2 days, when I went back and saw my doc last week I said "what happened" so he drew me some piccys and we had a talk, if taking these tablets didn't work then he was booking me in for a gastric by pass which I did not want. I wasn't on nexium before my op. I will ask doc about pariet.

THANKS girls

Neat xx
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whYcUXL/]
chasedbytigers
chasedbytigers

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2011-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyFri 30 Sep 2011, 2:04 am

Hi Neat,
I am on Pariet (similar to Nexium) and when I took it in the morning then by nightfall I had the worst heartburn, so my doc increased it to 1 in the morning and 1 at night, it has worked perfectly. Maybe ask your doc about it.
Back to top Go down
Josie2
Part of the furniture
Josie2

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyThu 29 Sep 2011, 8:58 pm

Hi Neat - this happened to me when I stopped taking the Nexium so I started taking them again. I have my 6 month check up next week and this is one of the things I am going to ask about. Pre surgery though he sis warn me that one of the possible side effects of the sleeve is long term reflux so I suspect he is going to tell me I need to stay on Nexium for the rest of my life. Have you been on the Nexium long? It may be you need to discuss with the Dr as he may be able to change you to another medication or it may be that you need to take more not less. I hope it goes well and if I get any helpfu info from my Dr next week I will let you know.
Back to top Go down
Neat
Neat

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Heartburn as I wake up   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyMon 19 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

Hi Everyone

Im 2 weeks post op and for the last 3 mornings I have woke up with severe heartburn. Then this morning I woke up choking on my stomach acid, it had come up my oesphogus and gone down my air way, OMG I was frightened I couldn't get a breath, eventually I was sick and it was just bile, but I could breath better afterwards.

Mr Doc put me on nexium tablets (these make more stomach acid) I think I should stop taking them!

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do?

Neat
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/whYcUXL/]
DBFiveGirl
DBFiveGirl

Female
Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptySun 29 May 2011, 12:41 am

Hi there

I'm five days post op - had a sleeve and a hiatus hernia repair. My first post-op bowel movement was diarrhoea Friday night and it's not stopped since. At the same time, I've developed mild nausea. The thought of eating repulses me and I struggle to drink the amount of fluids I'm meant to. At this stage I can't imagine being well enough to return to work in a week's time. I gather that the diarrhoea may be a fairly common side affect of various things, including the general anaesthetic so am not too concerned at this point.

Did anyone else experience anything like this? I just want to feel 'normal' again:(
Back to top Go down
http://absolutelygutless.blogspot.com/
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyWed 30 Mar 2011, 11:04 pm

While I was in hospital, no poo. Don't forget, your stomach was empty prior to the operation, and you have been living on liquids post op, so your bowel isn't really processing all that much fibre yet!

I think it was about three days after I got home. I added two teaspoons of benefibre to my liquid intake (I got the clear, tasteless benefibre...it dissolves into nothing) and I managed a small bowel movement 6 days post op.

However, nearly 2 and a half weeks out, I find a cup of coffee first thing in the morning works well for me. I am still on purees and I find every one - two days seems to be the norm at present.

Everyone is different though. Ask your dietitian while you are still in hospital.
Back to top Go down
realme
Part of the furniture
realme

Female
Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyWed 30 Mar 2011, 10:26 pm

I'm currently in hospital, 3 days after my sleeve op ( yay), & I wanted to ask how long it took people before they did a poo ( sorry but desperate times calls for desperate measures lol)? I haven't gone yet and I don't want to strain/ push invade I damage something.
Back to top Go down
Matt

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptySun 28 Nov 2010, 12:44 pm

Had some opti today and must say I didn't mind it again.

Stranger thing have happened.
Back to top Go down
Matt

Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptySat 27 Nov 2010, 12:19 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I am confortable with the liquids at the moment. I see my doctor about three weeks after the surgery so I may make a call on the Al Capone and ask if I go puree sooner.

All good though. Very happy now after a few days of dead set hell.

:)

Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptySat 27 Nov 2010, 11:07 am

Hi Matt,

It vary's from surgeon to surgeon & patient to patient, you really should check with your own team to see how quickly they want you to progress. My plan was 2 weeks liquids; 2 weeks purees; 2 weeks soft foods; then gradually introduce solid food,

Cheers - Carrie :-)
Back to top Go down
Matt

Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptySat 27 Nov 2010, 7:57 am

I am sure this has been answered in here somewhere else but I cant find it.

When is the average people go from liquids onto the mushie stage?

AND... then we onto the small solid foods?????

Ta
Back to top Go down
Emmessee

Male
Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 10:32 am

Welcome fellow same day sleever.
Back to top Go down
Seamus
Seamus

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Nausea   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 Nov 2010, 3:00 pm

Had the operation on Thursday 18th and was sipping on broth and water and even some up 'n' go as well.

But by Friday the nausea had really kicked in and I felt like throwing up every time I tried to "eat" something. I am on fluids and all I could eat was half a cup of Sustagen and maybe half a cup of pureed minestrone soup. I gave up because of the nausea and sent back untouched everything else I was offered throughout the day - things like broth and apple juice and sustagen.

The Surgeon said it would be easier to eat on the day of the operation but as the swelling increased, so would the nausea by the following day - or day one.

Back to top Go down
http://www.southerncrosscruiserclub.com
Jay Jay

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 5:50 am

Thankyou sooo much for replying. The pain you are describing is exactly what i am experiencing! It is so good to know that eventually it will get better. Good tip about the anti inflammatory. I will ask the dr when I speak to him. Jay Jay
Back to top Go down
freedom2Bme
freedom2Bme

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 4:48 am

Hi Jay Jay Im 15 days post op today and I to found it very hard going was actually scared of comming home as I was having lots of pain mid uper chest area around 2-3 seconds after swallowing.
I asked surgeon and he told me that it is just residual bruising from breathing tube and the sleeving tube and that there is also a bit of swelling to contend with as well, so I found for me that warm fluids where easier to swallow and that anything other than water eg skim milk or warm milo etc as I to didnt like the up and go (to sweet), the surgeon also put me on an anti inflamitory twice daily.
I found that it seemed to be easier to swallow very small amounts at a time eg 1Tbl spoon sips or around 5ml, and that it helped to stand and sip (gravity helps), I can honestly tell you that by around day 7 I was allot better still not perfect but deffinatly better and by around day10 back to normal and can comfortabley drink a cuppa in around 15-20mins with no troubles.

I would be asking your surgeon for the anti inflamitories as I feel for me this realy helped to settle things down quite quickly- just remember that befor taking the anti inflamitories that you need to have drunk at least 1/ 2 cup of nourishing fluids eg 1/2 cup skim milk or 1/2 cup of milo or other thin nourishing fluid this can be done by drinking 1/4 cup before tablet then take tablet using this fluid then sipp any thats left over after tablet (dont worry the tablet is very small only alittle bit bigger than the birth control pill)
Hope you are drinking more comfortably sooner Post Op Questions... - Page 4 217555 Post Op Questions... - Page 4 217555 Post Op Questions... - Page 4 217555
Back to top Go down
tarnz
Part of the furniture
tarnz

Female
Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 12:37 pm

I just read back through my diary and I was managing about 50 mls at four days out and that was a huge effort
I was on liquids for two weeks ... I definatley didnt have meat cheese on my menu plan but everyones surgeon and dietitian is different

I qiuckly got over the sweet taste of up and go but it was only for two weeks so I persevered

Then I moved onto mushie foods for two weeks this is when I could blend up casseroles etc with lots of liquid eg gravy

So you have a dietitian ? or did your surgeon give you a list of things you can have ?

I would say dont be in a rush to move onto other foods especially while you are still coming to terms with your current restriction
Use to time to get to know your new tummy I know that sounds silly but the more you re-train your mind and body now the less likely you will be to eat to quickly later

Tarnz
Back to top Go down
Jay Jay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 12:13 pm

Thanks so much tarnz. I have tried the up and go but like you it is probably taking 2 hours of concentrated effort to drink. I am really weary of the very sweet taste. Tried to drink an optislim this pm (to get some more protein) but struggled to get thru even 50 mls. HAve noticed on the recipe thread that people are drinking all sorts of homemade soups with meat, cheese and vegies. do you think this would be ok??
Have to keep reminding myself of why I really wanted and needed this surgery!!
Back to top Go down
tarnz
Part of the furniture
tarnz

Female
Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 11:55 am

Hi JayJay

To put your mind at rest I dont think I ever finished a cup of tea in the first month
You need to remember that you have had major surgery and that your tummy is still swollen which means there will be some restriction with liquid

Can I ask what kind of liquid you are drinking ?

I know I couldnt stomach water unless I added apple juice or diet cordial eg ribena light
I also drunk up and go it would take me all day to finish one of these

and YES IT GETS BETTER ... honestly it does

Tarnz

Back to top Go down
Jay Jay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 11:38 am

Hi all, have posted this qs on another thread but not sure if anyone is still responding. I am 5 days post op and am getting a dull but sudden pain about a second or two after swallowing a small sip of liquid. Did anyone else experience this pain? Did it go away, settle? It is not heartburn cause i am getting that at random times but this pain is only when i try to drink. It is making me hesitant to want to drink very much which is a struggle because am trying to get that magic 2 litres. I would be lucky to be getting 700 mls.

Also I seem to be very slow it took me about 1 hour to have 1/3 of a small cup of coffee today, when i spoke to the dietician she said there should be no restriction of fluid?? and that it should just go right thru the sleeve. Suggested I ring dr in am in case its a staple in the wrong place. Now Im really worried!!

Someone pleeease tell me this gets better?? Jay Jay Ps sorry for the random Qs must be the lask of nutrition!!
Back to top Go down
netty9526
netty9526

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: how all is well tigga   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 11:32 pm

Hope it is ok and your result come back ok , Post Op Questions... - Page 4 217555
It has been two weeks since my op and i had the same pain last week buty it has moved down into my back and i am having trouble walking , let me know what your results say ? Post Op Questions... - Page 4 697586
Back to top Go down
Tigga
Part of the furniture
Tigga

Female
Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2009-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 9:16 am

I have the stitch type pain but on my left side, and is unbearable at times - have seen the dr, and have had a ct scan, won't know until tuesday what it could be.
All is good though would not change my tiny tummy for anything.
tigga
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyFri 06 Aug 2010, 10:49 pm

No......and I am 8 months out!
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyFri 06 Aug 2010, 2:40 pm

Sorry Lauren ive been sleeved for over 2 years and have neva had that sorry cant help you

hugs Sue
Back to top Go down
lauren_melb
lauren_melb

Female
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyFri 06 Aug 2010, 2:05 pm

anyone...?

Post Op Questions... - Page 4 697586
Back to top Go down
lauren_melb
lauren_melb

Female
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyFri 06 Aug 2010, 6:24 am

14 mths ago i was sleeved and i am wondering is there anyone out there who gets a stitch if they lay on their right hand side at night????

this is so FRUSTRATING as it happens about 90% of the time and i've tried determining if its because i have just eaten or drank or over eaten but it even happens when i haven't eaten for AGES :(

if it normal???

it feels like a sharp stitch,just like a night cramp in your leg (if u know what i mean)

regards
Lauren.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 EmptyTue 03 Aug 2010, 6:11 pm

Thanks Kylie :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Op Questions...
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next