Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
xena-warriorprincess
xena-warriorprincess

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post Op Questions... - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 11:11 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

My surgery is in 7 weeks but I find some nights I cannot sleep with questions going through my head and feeling so ready to go. It's going to be a looooooong 7 weeks for me! I have some questions I would like to ask those of you who are post surgery. Hope you don't mind! :)

1 Immediately after surgery were you in pain, apart from the shoulder tip pain? What did you have to ease the pain? Was it a pump thingy (I know, great english huh?);
2 Did you have a drain? If yes, how many? Did they hurt coming out and how long were they in for?
3 Did you feel different right away after surgery? Was it evident part of your stomach had been removed, as in did it feel different?
4 Were you weighed in Hospital as you went along or did this happen later at say the Surgeon visit after the operation;
5 Were you up and walking about the first day or did it take a couple of days to get back on your feet?
6 I'm a mum of 3, with a house to keep and cats to feed and all of the standard chores a Mum does. Do you think it would be wise to stay in Hospital the full 5 days after surgery to make sure I rest? I know me and I know I won't be able to resist cleaning the house;
7 I am taking 7 weeks off work all up. This is a purely vain question but do you think my weight will have dropped a fair bit from the 110kgs I currently am and how did you handle questions around how you went about losing the weight?

Thank you so much if you have managed to make it this far. :cheers:

Best Regards.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Peter1969
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2008, 1:36 am

Annden, don't confuse Optislim and Optifast, they are made by different companies.

Optifast is a product of Nestlé Nutrition, and Optislim is made in Australia by OptiPharm.

In the OptiPharm range, I think only the Optislim2000 is a VLCD product the others are not a complete meal replacement.

Peter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cpapestore.com
Magic Princess
Part of the furniture
Magic Princess

Female
Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2008, 1:25 am

Hi Annden, my dietician actually told me to get Optislim cause it tastes nicer and that's what I did. I say Opti Fast because it's a wider known brand (kinda like the old esky, kleenex type of thing). I didn't mind the Chocolate Optislim with about 6-7 drops of peppermint essence added...tasted just like a mint slice biscuit. But the whole process is the tiring and horrible thing, I don't know how people are supposed to do it for 12wks at a time...sheesh
Back to top Go down
Annden
Annden

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Optifast#@+   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyThu 13 Nov 2008, 12:41 am

Crikey, if the manufacturers of Optifast read this page, they would have to do something serious about their product. However, here in Perth I've trialled their range Optislim which is not so bad.
Back to top Go down
Magic Princess
Part of the furniture
Magic Princess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyWed 12 Nov 2008, 1:24 am

I have to agree with you on that one Rita....even the refulx I had initially was better than the Opti Fast diet....ugh I hope never to have to do it again!!
Back to top Go down
RitaB

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-26

PostSubject: Shoulder pain   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyTue 11 Nov 2008, 7:48 pm

Hi all,
I had shoulder pain immediately after surgery, but just for that day. I had painkillers that day, but none after that. Truly, the 3 week diet before the
surgery was the worst part of this whole experience!

Rita B

Surgery date: July 21, 2008
Highest weight pre-op: 323 lbs, ; 147 k
Weight now: 260.5 lbs. ; 118k
Post Op Questions... - Page 7 542174
Back to top Go down
Magic Princess
Part of the furniture
Magic Princess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyTue 11 Nov 2008, 12:51 am

Hi guys, I also didn't have any shoulder tip pain and haven't had any pain killers since coming home.
Back to top Go down
Peter1969
Part of the furniture
Peter1969

Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyMon 10 Nov 2008, 12:22 pm

I didn't have any of the shoulder tip pain, and by the 2nd day I was only taking panadol which I didn't feel like I needed anyway.

Since leaving the hospital I have not had any pain killers.

So everyone's journey is different, hopefully you will be similar.

Peter.
Back to top Go down
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyMon 10 Nov 2008, 8:20 am

Op is scheduled for 10 December but not sure if family is OK about it yet. I am.
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyMon 10 Nov 2008, 8:10 am

yes i believe its related to the gas, but is the exception to get it rather than the rule
when is your op ?
Back to top Go down
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyMon 10 Nov 2008, 6:56 am

HI Kittycat, I also appreciate you sharing your story, helps keep it all in perspective. My surgeon has spoken about the problems they had with the leaking but they now use a glue as well and haven't had any problems since then so fingers crossed.

Re shoulder pain, a few people have mentioned this and that scares me ( a bit silly as I have had two total knee relacements and three children), I had shoulder pain following the lapband and was not a pleasant experience, apparently something to do with gas??? is this the same??
Back to top Go down
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyMon 10 Nov 2008, 6:38 am

holly369 wrote:
Hayley wrote:
Hi Holly,

When I read that you said that you feel like you are dying faster the way you are now, it struck so familiar with me. I know everyone will possibly laugh at me for saying this, as I am only 29 but I really felt before surgery that I was running out of time. I almost heard the clock ticking away every day. Thanks for sharing your story. Please keep us all up to date with how you are going.
Hugs to you dear,

Hayley

Hi Hayley,
My friend is a worry wart! She is all worried that I am not worried about having the surgery (and the doctor-is he good?) etc. Well, I told her this, I am 54 years old and I'm going to die someday, everyone does. And I am going to die earlier because I am overweight, have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea. So hopefully the surgery will help, but if it kills me, then I was meant to go. But if it doesn't, I'll live much longer because of it and with a better quality of life. At this time, the way I feel, I can't imagine even wanting to live that much longer anyway (I know, pretty morbid). I just want to have my surgery and get my damn life back (without medicines, being out of breath with just a little exercise, being in pain (knees, etc.)). That's all I care about. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!! Post Op Questions... - Page 7 65317

HI Hayley and Holly
I said something similar to a frien of mine a while ago when I mentioned the sleeve as I had just heard about it. I have had total knee replacements both knees, my ankle are giving me trouble, my cholsterol is bordering on high, there is diabetes in my family so I worry about that every time I have a blood test.I also suffer with trigeminal neuralgia which is not associated but a very painful nerve condition that comes for a few months then goes away. I also am sick and tired of being sick and tired and of dying soon if I don't get the weight off. Its good t talk to others that feel/have felt the same way
Back to top Go down
Peter1969
Part of the furniture
Peter1969

Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyWed 08 Oct 2008, 6:25 pm

The Post op plan from Mercy is:
2 weeks liquid Diet, avoiding all solid foods. Starting with only foods that can easily pass through a straw for the first few days, increasing to thicker liquids like yoghurt or pureed fruit (if tollerated)
4 weeks transition diet to thicker foods (Mushies)
Then start a solid diet, and cut out any high calorie liquids that you may have been taking.

Peter.
Back to top Go down
Xantia
Xantia

Female
Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyWed 08 Oct 2008, 10:25 am

My doc has given me some instructions that i thought were a little odd compared to what everyone else is given.

i have 2 days of clear fluid, day 3-4 till week 3 puree diet and soft diet weeks 6-8.

cheers Xan
Back to top Go down
http://xantias-jouney.piczo.com
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyWed 08 Oct 2008, 9:51 am

2 days on clear fluids
2 weeks on full fluids ( including thin purees)
4 weeks on mushies
Then gradually making my way up to real food

Now im nearly 15 weeks post op and can eat whatever i like

Nicole
Back to top Go down
Mareeki
Mareeki

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyWed 08 Oct 2008, 9:30 am

Hi everybody

I would like to know how long you were on the liquid stage after the op and how long on the mushi stage.
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyWed 08 Oct 2008, 12:25 am

Hi Mareeki,

If you are talking post op then my dietitican said it's fine to have Up N Go's.

steph
Back to top Go down
Mareeki
Mareeki

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyWed 08 Oct 2008, 12:22 am

Hi

I really want to leave the optifast and would like to know if I will be fine if I use Up and go, V8 and milkshakes, custard and jelly. I hate optifast.

Mareeki
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyMon 06 Oct 2008, 8:18 am

That is so good, it really fills me with hope and makes me realise I am doing the right thing going for this op.

I went for my inital appointment a week ago and have lost 4 kilos already...only because the doc decided to weigh me when I am pre menstraul and carrying my usual extra 4 kilos of fluid around. Men! You think they could wait for the right time!! They just never get it right!! Ranting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptyMon 06 Oct 2008, 2:39 am

I'm going to start practising because seriously, some poor nurse will be wearing a mouthful of dissolved pills if I don't.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 8:33 pm

Don't worry, Rice Cake, it's not as bad as it seems.
I agree that dissolved pills are disgusting, but I managed it for weeks, where some only have to do it for a few days. So if I can do it, so can you!
And in the scheme of things, it's not long at all. And ICU is only for the one night - you'll be fine.
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 3:35 pm

chrisbychic wrote:
Hey Rice Cake
Don't worry - most people seem to go back to work after just a few weeks - depending on what you do, of course.
As for the tablets, they'll crush them for you, or dissolve them if they can. They'll work it out for you.
I had heaps of tablets that I usually take, but didn't have for a while because I couldn't swallow a tablet for ages - but that's uncommon, apparently, so you should be fine.
Chris

well, if they dissolve them in water and make me drink them, I can guarantee now some nurse will be wearing them. They are vile, I struggle now just to swollow them.I don't know why they have to make them taste so bad. I'd rather have some medicine up my bum than have to drink my tablets. :[img]http://ww

Last edited by Rice cake on Wed 08 Oct 2008, 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 10:09 am

I spent my first night in HDU (high dependency unit). i think most people do after surgery.

I went back to work after 3 weeks but could have gone back after 2

Nicole
Back to top Go down
dragonrider
dragonrider

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 9:47 am

hiya

I am going to be 11days post op tomorrow and am planning on heading off to work. i sit at a desk for most of the day so nothing stenuous, and tomorrow is only half a day to see how i go!

cheers
DR
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 4:15 am

Rice cake wrote:
do you need six weeks off surgery after the sleeve. I've not got enough annual leave. I was planning on two weeks off after the surgery. Now I am worried.

Hi Rice Cake!

I was back at work two weeks after surgery, although I think I could have gone back sooner. I just took my time and tried not to over do it.

- Hayley
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 4:00 am

Hey Rice Cake
Don't worry - most people seem to go back to work after just a few weeks - depending on what you do, of course.
As for the tablets, they'll crush them for you, or dissolve them if they can. They'll work it out for you.
I had heaps of tablets that I usually take, but didn't have for a while because I couldn't swallow a tablet for ages - but that's uncommon, apparently, so you should be fine.
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 3:57 am

do you need six weeks off surgery after the sleeve. I've not got enough annual leave. I was planning on two weeks off after the surgery. Now I am worried.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Op Questions...
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next