Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
xena-warriorprincess
xena-warriorprincess

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post Op Questions... - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 11:11 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

My surgery is in 7 weeks but I find some nights I cannot sleep with questions going through my head and feeling so ready to go. It's going to be a looooooong 7 weeks for me! I have some questions I would like to ask those of you who are post surgery. Hope you don't mind! :)

1 Immediately after surgery were you in pain, apart from the shoulder tip pain? What did you have to ease the pain? Was it a pump thingy (I know, great english huh?);
2 Did you have a drain? If yes, how many? Did they hurt coming out and how long were they in for?
3 Did you feel different right away after surgery? Was it evident part of your stomach had been removed, as in did it feel different?
4 Were you weighed in Hospital as you went along or did this happen later at say the Surgeon visit after the operation;
5 Were you up and walking about the first day or did it take a couple of days to get back on your feet?
6 I'm a mum of 3, with a house to keep and cats to feed and all of the standard chores a Mum does. Do you think it would be wise to stay in Hospital the full 5 days after surgery to make sure I rest? I know me and I know I won't be able to resist cleaning the house;
7 I am taking 7 weeks off work all up. This is a purely vain question but do you think my weight will have dropped a fair bit from the 110kgs I currently am and how did you handle questions around how you went about losing the weight?

Thank you so much if you have managed to make it this far. :cheers:

Best Regards.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
kittycat

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyMon 01 Sep 2008, 10:59 am

hi, sleeves are nearly always keyhole in New Zealand as well, havent heard of anyone having open surgery for a sleeve downunder here.
Catherine
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyMon 01 Sep 2008, 10:19 am

wow just overnight.... Mine was done keyhole. I watched the op on the net and it was done in the US by keyhole and he also said the person would only be in overnight. I really could not imagine having had come out the next day....i was very tired and i was still hooked up to pain relief, saline drip and i had a drain in my stomach. I stayed in for 4 nights.
I also had 3 weeks off work...like Bigbugger i work at a school and made it fit in with holidays...i could have gone back after 2 weeks but it was nice to have 3 weeks break.

Nicole

Last edited by nicolev1969 on Mon 01 Sep 2008, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbugger71
bigbugger71

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyMon 01 Sep 2008, 7:46 am

Dear Holly
I'm in the UK, it was done keyhole (easier to spell but same as that laparos... word!) I thought I would be out sooner but there is no way on this earth I could have come out before 2 nights. They like to make sure you have attempted something else to eat rather than water here too. The first 10 days were the worst, but I've been on school holidays so been lucky to have 5 weeks post op to recuperate. I was on holiday after 2 weeks, and was fine, some stomach pain when hungry/sneezing or eating! I think a week before going back to work is optimistic, as you can't be lifting or doing too much, you're just too tired and washed out! Saying that, everyone is different! I'm not a great one for recovery! You could always plan another week off to convalesce!
BB
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyMon 01 Sep 2008, 12:08 am

Holly

mine was done laparo... lapra... keyhole surgery hahahaha. And most people I've heard of have also been.
But I was advised to take two weeks off... I needed the break from work anyway - although I healed pretty quickly and probably could have gone to work earlier, I did feel it was good to take it easy and to be at home while I got used to the whole eating experience after the op. I guess the fact that I didn't tell anyone at work about it made it better for me to have more time off work. And I have certainly experienced times where I am quite exhausted - I have an office job so only slows my work down a bit, isn't a huge problem.
Back to top Go down
holly369
holly369

Female
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: I have a post - op question   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptySun 31 Aug 2008, 10:54 pm

Hi, I am wondering since most of you are from overseas (from me here in the US) does your doctor do your surgery laporoscopiclly? (sorry about the spelling). It seems like you are staying in the hospital a long time if it is.

Here, I will be in the hospital only over night. They have already told me that I will be up and walking the day of the surgery so I need to be sure and take my pain medicine. And I will be out the next day. They say I only have to stay off work for one week also.

It seems like a lot of you are staying off work for weeks.

That is why I was wondering if they are doing your surgeries laparoscopically? or a major operation where they open you up for the surgery?

thanks
holly
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptySat 23 Aug 2008, 9:01 am

Yes there are a few to choose from, several in Auckland, a very popular one in Hamilton and a few elsewhere, haven't heard of any in the South Island yet.
Cat.
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female
Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptySat 23 Aug 2008, 7:40 am

Are there many surgeons to choose from in NZ? I am from the Waikato but moved over 6 years ago. :-)
Back to top Go down
enfinsusie
enfinsusie

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: dietetician   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyFri 22 Aug 2008, 2:40 pm

Here, we are seeing a dietetician before and many times after the surgery. She gives us ideas how to live with a sleeve and what to do to continue to lose healthy.
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 10:45 am

Hi Kittycat,

I'm sorry to hear what you went through.

You are the first bad news story I have heard about this surgery. I hope you recover quickly and are feeling much better soon.

steph
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 10:23 am

HI Cinni, No we had different surgeons, I was bit put off using her one, funny that !!
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 10:19 am

Thanks for sharing Kittycat. :)

Wow did you have the same surgeon as your neighbour? That is freaky how you both had complications.

Cinni
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 9:00 am

Hi Lynette, I've just posted on the other thread under 'Complications' about my neighbours one.
Catherine
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 7:00 am

Glad you are feeling better now, but sounds horrible that you went through all that yukky stuff. Post Op Questions... - Page 9 878453

What complications did your neighbor have? I'm still two weeks pre-op, but would like to know. Post Op Questions... - Page 9 697586
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 6:55 am

Thanks, I'm feeling bit better each day, just tired and a bit sore and definitely feeling sorry for myself !! why me ?? why me ?? my neighbour had sleeve with a different surgeon last october and had worst complications than me so i thought i'd be safe cause to have two in the same street would just be unfair !! :<a href=htt
anyway can't change it all now and I think I'll be happy when i'm finally allowed to have some REAL food, am way over having Optifast now.
Catherine
Back to top Go down
ang
ang

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 6:29 am

Heck Kittycat, My op is in 5 weeks and I was pretty confident that things would go well.
But I will still be positive as the journey will be here before I know it.
I hope you recover fully and have no more hiccups.
Get well, Ang Post Op Questions... - Page 9 878453
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 6:21 am

Oh gee, kittycat, what a trauma. I can only imagine what it was like with that tube - I would have been distressed over that, too. :[img]http://ww Ranting :[img]http://sm
I know you didn't want to go through any of this, but at least the guy admitted his mistake and didn't just try to cover it up. Does that mean he'll cover your bills? I guess that'd be too much to ask, wouldn't it?
But it sounds as though the worst is now over and you're starting to heal okay, so I hope that's the case and that you continue to improve steadily.
I'm so sorry that you had to go through it all though. Get lots of rest and take care of yourself, won't you? Post Op Questions... - Page 9 19756
Chris
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 6:14 am

WARNING !!! Bad post-op story follows !!!
I went in Sunday night (10 days ago), had the op Monday lunchtime and woke later in the day to people around my bed, my surgeon looked worried...I thought I would have an IV in but there was a gastric tube in my nose, I could hardly swallow, wicked sore throat and nose and tummy sore cause a drain in there and some icko liquids coming out and the stuff coming out of my nose -ewww and had the IV of course. Surgeon told me he had made a tear when dissecting my new stomach and so i had a special part there that needed special healing in other words would need all that stuff on for a week and just the iV etc...I was pretty devastated as you can imagine.
The gastric tube completely did my head in. Felt like someone had their fingers down the back of my throat trying to make me sick 24/7. Couldnt sleep so got quite emotional and exhausted. Anyway...the worst day was Wednesday morning when they came in and said they'd ordered an ambulance to take me to radiology and then transfer to intensive care cause probably having stomach leak from wound !!! (don't know why they thought that)
but xrays were OK so went back to provate hospital very relieved. Got the tube and stuff out on Friday and went to Mums late in the day. Now I'm home and feeling alot better. Am on water and diluted optifast for several weeks.. THATS the short story ....
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 2:59 am

Gee Pretzel, who wouldn't be happy with that! You're doing amazingly well - good on you!
Chris
Back to top Go down
pretzel.1970
pretzel.1970

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2008, 1:32 am

Hey Steph
I'm at 9.5 kilos loss today - nearly 4 weeks.

I'm happy with that as it's about 3 kilos a week.
I've been super busy with work and haven't done any real exercise yet so hopefully that will help as well as it starts to slow down.
You look like your doing brilliantly - are you still losing consistently every week?
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyTue 19 Aug 2008, 9:54 am

Wow Pretzel,
I'm amazed........... that's great. You are doing fabulously. How is your weight loss going?
steph
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyTue 19 Aug 2008, 8:31 am

OMG - you did ROLLER COASTERS????? Post Op Questions... - Page 9 878453
I'm in awe!!!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyTue 19 Aug 2008, 8:21 am

Quote :
I'd rather hear the bad stuff and be prepared then be 'protected' from the truth. :)

I second that ! :)
Back to top Go down
pretzel.1970
pretzel.1970

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyTue 19 Aug 2008, 8:09 am

Hi Jo,
I might not be the best example because I seem to be brezzing through all of this but I drove day 4 - when I got home from hospital (i forgot what the Dr had said, plus I live in a small country town so if you need o go anywhere you have to drive) My car is automatic and not a huge 4WD but one of the Holden Captiva AWD cars.
I didn't have any problems.

My Dr says I am one of those very lucky people who has no reaction to anaethetic and seems to heal and bounce back very quickly. I was walking to the toliet the night of my operation and watching tele with the nurses 3 hours after recovery - fully awake and alert.

Last week at 3 weeks post op I had a business trip in Qld and even went on a few roller coasters at Movie World when we had a free day - I asked my Dr and he said it was OK.
I guess what I'm getting at is that we are all different, how you heal and recover may be like me or you might be a much slower healer like Chris, your not going to know until the OP unless you can guage past experiences.
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyMon 18 Aug 2008, 9:06 pm

Hi Catherine
Welcome. I'm sorry you've had such a bad first week, but hopefully it will improve very soon.
I agree - it's good to let others know, so that we can all make more informed decisions.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyMon 18 Aug 2008, 11:55 am

I'd rather hear the bad stuff and be prepared then be 'protected' from the truth. :)
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 EmptyMon 18 Aug 2008, 9:58 am

Hi Kittykat and welcome to our group.

Do you mind me asking what sort of problems you had post op? Or maybe here is not a good place to put it in case it might scare the pre oppers. You could always PM me.

steph
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Op Questions...
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next