ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions   Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions EmptyMon 17 Aug 2009, 11:58 am

I totally agree. I have been working at putting on weight for 6 months and it's not working lol.
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions   Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions EmptyMon 17 Aug 2009, 10:15 am

Hello

hi,

i was sleeved 2 and half months ago and the fear of failure is at the back of my mind, and i do have a food addiction, but i am seeing a great psychologist who is helping me with this and i also joined the gym after my surgery, can't say i enjoy it totally but it was a pact i made with myself before the op, i want this to succeed and i am going to do everything i can to make it happen. i still have a bit of chocolate or chips, but nothing like i use to. But like apple says, i think you'd have to work very hard to make yourself put on weight.

congrats on your decision!!!!

take care

del.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rkm.id.au
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions   Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions EmptyMon 17 Aug 2009, 6:32 am

In the more than 2 years I have been researching and talking to sleevers this is what I have found out. I have found exactly ONE failed sleeve now. bad surgeon. Rumors of late regain but not a single one who has actually come forward to confirm this. So i feel if your surgery is done correctly here in Australia, I can not say for other countries as it can be done very differently os, that more the standard 10% expected regain should not happen. You could if you really realllllllllly tried after you had fully healed gain weight but it is not oooooops I am not being careful sort of thing it would take deliberate well planed eating to do more than that 10%. You would have to hand pick your food to be extremely calorie laden easily digested and disolve down to nothing. I mean sure you could eat enough fairy floss in a day to gain weight if you ate it all day every day. It would fit..

Leaks happen, they are serious never let anybody tell you otherwise. It can be months in hospital. Pick your surgeon with great care. There are some surgeons out there with HUGE numbers of well done sleeves and zero leaks. Ask the questions. There are also surgeons out there that are leak central. What you pay a surgeon is NO reflection at all on the amount of leaks or how well the sleeve is done, do not fall into that trap.

Once you have fully healed your food digests much much easier and your stomach empties so much faster allowing you to snack. Snacking is the vice of sleevers. You can easily snack IF you plan it well. If you try to stick to 3 meals & 2 snacks a day you should not have problems. Nobody is a saint everybody is allowed to have a life and enjoy treats just do not make snacking constantly an every day thing. We banded snacks in our house besides the occasional cheese on cracker, bit of fruit but still enjoy a bit of cake when out for afternoon tea. It is all about balance. You want a life not a diet. You just want to make sure that your life is not about how to eat around your sleeve.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chook00
Part of the furniture
chook00

Female
Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions   Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions EmptyMon 17 Aug 2009, 1:38 am

Hey Claire

Yeh I know your devil - I have a monkey on my shoulder (as I call it), and well he is a bit miffed as I have achieved what I want to, but he now laughs and tells me I won't be able to keep it off. I am sure he's just keeping me honest. LOL
You'll do great, just believe in yourself, it worked for me - the power of positive thinking is what I believe in. Enjoy the "journey" and the new lease on life it will give you. Don't be scared to reward yourself (I love chocolate), but learn to be a princess around food.

Cheers Chook
Back to top Go down
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions   Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions EmptyMon 17 Aug 2009, 12:10 am

Hi Claire,

Have you seen a psychologist? If not, I would really recommend seeing one.

This op is great, but "head hunger" is something that needs to be dealt with in a slightly different manner in my opinion. I did a Mindfulness Meditation Course based on Jon Kabat Zin's (outlined in Full Catastrophe Living book) which really helped me get to a place mentally where I could "manage" the "devil" that delights in self-sabotage and failure well before I considered surgery.

Yes, it is possible to in some ways to "subtley manipulate" one's diet. The obvious ones are - drinking your calories, and eating high calorific foods that take up minimal space... and here I am thinking chocolates and crisps. But I have found it next to impossible the large amounts I did sometimes pre op (not that chocolates were ever my thing) so a "pig out" is one small packet of chips... hardly worth the effort really *grin*
Regards,
Sophia
Back to top Go down
claire
claire

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions   Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions EmptySun 16 Aug 2009, 11:15 pm

Hi all

Have my surgery date booked for September 7 and am counting down the days to Optifast and surgery with excitement and some trepidation.

Most of questions have been answered in their entirety by the posts on this fab website, but having lived with a band for ten years, failing, removal and a weight that creeps and creeps, I wonder, does anyone "fail" post sleeve.
What are the pitfalls if any? The obvious ones /I know, leak, abscess etc. but what about the subtle manipulations of one's diet? I am hoping to be as phenomenally successful as the postees I read daily, but I have this nagging devil on my shoulder, whispering in my ear (in fact most of the time laughing) and telling me that it would not matter what I did I would fail to lose weight.
Is there anyone else out there who has this nagging sense of self sabotage and failure? and if so, do you have any advice? I am very grateful for the support and guidance you have all given to date, and as I head into surgery I want to smack that devil into next week so that I don't have to listen to him anymore!!

Thanks

Claire
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions   Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Fear of failure - questions wuestions questions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: