Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
xena-warriorprincess
xena-warriorprincess

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post Op Questions... - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyTue 10 Jun 2008, 11:11 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

My surgery is in 7 weeks but I find some nights I cannot sleep with questions going through my head and feeling so ready to go. It's going to be a looooooong 7 weeks for me! I have some questions I would like to ask those of you who are post surgery. Hope you don't mind! :)

1 Immediately after surgery were you in pain, apart from the shoulder tip pain? What did you have to ease the pain? Was it a pump thingy (I know, great english huh?);
2 Did you have a drain? If yes, how many? Did they hurt coming out and how long were they in for?
3 Did you feel different right away after surgery? Was it evident part of your stomach had been removed, as in did it feel different?
4 Were you weighed in Hospital as you went along or did this happen later at say the Surgeon visit after the operation;
5 Were you up and walking about the first day or did it take a couple of days to get back on your feet?
6 I'm a mum of 3, with a house to keep and cats to feed and all of the standard chores a Mum does. Do you think it would be wise to stay in Hospital the full 5 days after surgery to make sure I rest? I know me and I know I won't be able to resist cleaning the house;
7 I am taking 7 weeks off work all up. This is a purely vain question but do you think my weight will have dropped a fair bit from the 110kgs I currently am and how did you handle questions around how you went about losing the weight?

Thank you so much if you have managed to make it this far. :cheers:

Best Regards.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 3:57 am

do you need six weeks off surgery after the sleeve. I've not got enough annual leave. I was planning on two weeks off after the surgery. Now I am worried.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 3:55 am

Also, the first night of the operation, where you able to have anything orally? I will need to take my tablets and there is no intravenous form of them and I am worried. They make me dry retch when I take them on an empty stomach.

Last edited by Rice cake on Wed 08 Oct 2008, 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptySat 04 Oct 2008, 8:45 pm

Hi Rice Cake
Yes, I spent the first night in ICU, and it was great. I was pleased I was there, as I got really ill from the painkillers, and they were just so good. In fact, I missed the wonderful care that I had there when I went to the ward! It was very noisy, though, so you might want to take some ear plugs.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptySat 04 Oct 2008, 3:28 pm

Rice Cake:

I spent the first night in the SNU (Special Nursing Unit). My understanding is that at the hospital I went to, this is standard practice. The lady who had a lap band done on the same day also spent the night there.

Kaili.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptySat 04 Oct 2008, 2:56 pm

hey, did anyone have to spend a night in ICU post op?

I have been told I will probably have to! EEK
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyMon 08 Sep 2008, 2:46 am

Hi Kaili
Glad to hear that you're doing okay after the op, and I hope you sorted out the medication issues.
Hayley, no, it doesn't sound silly at all - if you felt that way at 29, then you were feeling pretty terrible about your health, and you've obviously done the right thing for yourself with the sleeve.
Holly, I laughed when I read what you said about being sick and tired of being sick and tired - I say that all the time! Actually - I USED to say that all the time - but haven't said it much since the op, I must admit! LOL
Chris
Back to top Go down
holly369
holly369

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: I had an EGD today (I think it's the same thing)   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptySun 07 Sep 2008, 1:50 am

Donna, I had an EGD which I think is the same as the gastroscope. It's a breeze. Nothing painful, you won't remember anything or have any pain from it at all. As a matter of fact, you can go and eat right after the procedure. They put me to sleep, I woke up, no problem at all. Don't be afraid of that. They are just looking to see if you have a hiatel hernia and possibly taking a biopsy to see if you have any infection in your stomach. No big deal!
Back to top Go down
holly369
holly369

Female

PostSubject: I got my EGD done today. One day at a time...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptySun 07 Sep 2008, 1:48 am

Hayley wrote:
Hi Holly,

When I read that you said that you feel like you are dying faster the way you are now, it struck so familiar with me. I know everyone will possibly laugh at me for saying this, as I am only 29 but I really felt before surgery that I was running out of time. I almost heard the clock ticking away every day. Thanks for sharing your story. Please keep us all up to date with how you are going.
Hugs to you dear,

Hayley

Hi Hayley,
My friend is a worry wart! She is all worried that I am not worried about having the surgery (and the doctor-is he good?) etc. Well, I told her this, I am 54 years old and I'm going to die someday, everyone does. And I am going to die earlier because I am overweight, have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea. So hopefully the surgery will help, but if it kills me, then I was meant to go. But if it doesn't, I'll live much longer because of it and with a better quality of life. At this time, the way I feel, I can't imagine even wanting to live that much longer anyway (I know, pretty morbid). I just want to have my surgery and get my damn life back (without medicines, being out of breath with just a little exercise, being in pain (knees, etc.)). That's all I care about. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!! Post Op Questions... - Page 8 65317
Back to top Go down
holly369
holly369

Female

PostSubject: Shanna, I know what you mean.   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptySun 07 Sep 2008, 1:39 am

Shanna wrote:
holly369 wrote:
Well, looks like I just need to take it one day at a time. I usually bounce back pretty quickly. Hopefully, this will be the same. At any rate, I just can't wait to get it done. I swear maybe it is psychological, but I feel like I'm dying faster or something and need to get it done quickly.
holly

I am getting mine done at Mt. Sinai in NYC and I just can't wait to get it done. I went through a panic attack for about 2 weeks that I was going to die of a heart arrythmia before I could get the surgery so I think I know precisely what you are feeling. My operation is Monday and wouldn't it be ironic if something went wrong with me now? Lord, let this waiting be OVER

I know exactly what you mean. I keep thinking I hope I don't get sick or whatever before I can get it done. Ugh! I have nine days now. I just can't even wait. Maybe once I start the liquids I feel better. I don't know. Good luck on your surgery, you only have two more days!!!! Yeehaw!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyFri 05 Sep 2008, 4:15 am

Peter, the male of the species was driving all be it short distances on day 7. Just watch it if you are still on any meds.
Kali yes not this Sunday but the flollowing one we will be at Sticky Beaks, it would be great if you are feeling up to it then. lucky ducky on apple and custard already :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyFri 05 Sep 2008, 1:22 am

the only difference between swallowing tabsules and capsules are that with the tabsules you can break them into smaller bits which you cant do with capsules. I took panadol but broke them into small pieces first.
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyFri 05 Sep 2008, 1:19 am

Hey Kaili- I can tell you from my previous surgeries- all types- you can take your pick- that more the more you can move the quicker you will feel better. Even if it is just a few steps from one end of the room and back into bed every couple of hours. It helps all the anesthesia and drugs go through your body more quickly, and limits the chance of deep vein thrombosis- a clot in your legs. Those are the facts, but on an emotional level, I think it helps your mind set even more.

Post Op Questions... - Page 8 217555 You are doing great- All of the September Sleevers are so proud of you.... our leader.
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 10:10 pm

I crushed up my sleeping tables for a few nights in hospital and out, the anaesthetist said this was OK to do. I'd heard a few stories of people getting the tablet stuck and having alot of pain straight afterwards so i think you should crush them up and take liquid panadol to be on the safe side.
Catherine
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 10:09 pm

I think as long as you dont have surgical complications and don't have alot of stomach pain you will be fine to drive a week out.
Back to top Go down
Peter1969
Part of the furniture
Peter1969

Male
Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 8:29 pm

I have just found out that a friend has just bought non-refundable air tickets to come for a surprise visit 7 days after my Op. :[img]http://sm

They will only be here a few days, what do you think the chances are of being able to drive a week out? From looking at various posts, it seems 1-2 weeks is the norm, does this sound right?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cpapestore.com
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 4:08 pm

Thanks apple :)

I decided I was going to brave the tramadol capsules and I'll leave the digesic tabsules until later. I had it with some custard and pureed apples (which actually tasted a lot better than I was expecting it to) and, beside some slight discomfort, I've been okay. I'm unsure whether the discomfort was related to the pill or not, because I'd been feeling more uncomfortable over an extended period anyway (possibly related to sitting in one spot for a while).

On a side note, I saw that you wont be at SB on Sunday. Not sure whether I was going to be able to make it anyway, but look forward to catching up next Sunday, if you're going to be there.

Thanks again,
Kaili
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 3:11 pm

Kali I was taking reasonable size capsules with no problems, I just took one at a time and waited 10 minutes between each to start with. I was on tramadol and pandol capsuletes as i would not use liquid pandol ile vile stuff hehehe Along with somac and a fewother tablets by day 6 or 7

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 1:57 pm

Hi Holly,

When I read that you said that you feel like you are dying faster the way you are now, it struck so familiar with me. I know everyone will possibly laugh at me for saying this, as I am only 29 but I really felt before surgery that I was running out of time. I almost heard the clock ticking away every day. Thanks for sharing your story. Please keep us all up to date with how you are going.
Hugs to you dear,

Hayley
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 1:01 pm

holly369 wrote:
Well, looks like I just need to take it one day at a time. I usually bounce back pretty quickly. Hopefully, this will be the same. At any rate, I just can't wait to get it done. I swear maybe it is psychological, but I feel like I'm dying faster or something and need to get it done quickly.
holly

I am getting mine done at Mt. Sinai in NYC and I just can't wait to get it done. I went through a panic attack for about 2 weeks that I was going to die of a heart arrythmia before I could get the surgery so I think I know precisely what you are feeling. My operation is Monday and wouldn't it be ironic if something went wrong with me now? Lord, let this waiting be OVER
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 12:52 pm

Shanna - Unfortunately I left it too late to call. It's 7:50 pm now! :/

I was erring towards the capsule as well though for that very reason.

I was planning on having some pureed fruit with thin custard a bit later so thought I'd take it with it.

Kaili.
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm

If you are worried you could call and check. Capsules are made to dissolve and release the medicine so I think you should be OK but if there is a chance that you can call, I would.
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyThu 04 Sep 2008, 11:41 am

Hi everyone.

I was giving tabsule and capsule pain killers when I left the hospital today. The only thing I'd been taking that was remotely solid was the Solmac and that's pretty small.

I'm thinking I'm going to probably need something to help me sleep through the night... am I okay to take the ones they gave me???

Thanks!

Kaili.
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyWed 03 Sep 2008, 4:26 pm

Know how you feel, sometimes I think I'm having a heart attack (which I'm not) but is just stress, so makes me want to hurry things on a bit a get it done. But tomorrow is here quicker than I thought.
Back to top Go down
holly369
holly369

Female

PostSubject: Looks like we'll all be different.   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyWed 03 Sep 2008, 8:06 am

holly
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyMon 01 Sep 2008, 12:11 pm

Hi Holly,

Mine was also done laparoscopilly???? (is that spelt right?) I had 3 nights in hospital but I also had a hiatus hernia repair and had breathing problems afterwards so spent those 3 days on oxygen.
Like Jaquilove, I had 2 weeks off work and could have gone back sooner but the extra week was good to sort out food issues.
Good luck,

steph
Back to top Go down
kittycat
kittycat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 EmptyMon 01 Sep 2008, 10:59 am

hi, sleeves are nearly always keyhole in New Zealand as well, havent heard of anyone having open surgery for a sleeve downunder here.
Catherine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Op Questions...   Post Op Questions... - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Op Questions...
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next