Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
finally

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Post Surgery Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post Surgery Questions   Post Surgery Questions EmptyFri 06 May 2011, 8:48 am

Hi Naomi,

I had my sleeve done on the 11th, so I'm just ahead of you. I know exactly what you mean by the pains after some mouthfuls, I had them too, regardless of how slow I was eating and how runny my food was. The good news is that it has settled down a lot now. The Dr said its quite normal, and that your insides are still recovering.

Onto your other note about the hunger pains, I get them too. I have spoken to a few people I know who have had the surgery and they don't think its possible. I take my reflux medication every morning, so I'm not sure why I'm still getting them. I eat regularly - breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. I'm assuming though because its still early days things will settle down.

My weight hasn't really changed all that much either in the past week or too, so I understand that frustration as well, I just keep trying to tell myself its still so new and things will improve with time.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Post Surgery Questions   Post Surgery Questions EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 2:38 pm

Hi Naomi and welcome,

With the Hunger, quite a few people have problems with feeling hungry in the early stages, reflux can certainly make you feel hungry and I did have that. My Dr explained that what we normally do to soothe reflux is eat or drink something, so we are conditioned to feel hungry when we get reflux, but it is really just a "head hunger". That made a lot of sense to me as, once I thought about it, what I was feeling was in my throat and oesophagus rather than my stomach. Once I remembered to take my reflux medication regularly I was fine There have been a few people who do still feel "normal" hunger after their op, but that does seem quite rare. Here's some links to some threads on Hunger.

Lots of us stall at around 2-4 weeks or so, don't worry, it will get going again soon. Here's a link to some info that Zoe gave us about why it happens Weight loss stall at 2-4 weeks

You do have to go very gently and slowly at first. Weetbix and potato might be a bit thick and heavy, I know some people can have them this early, but I couldn't, I was only on liquids for the first two weeks, then purees for two weeks, so I didn't start on soft food until week 5. Only progress through the stages as quickly as YOU are comfortable with. But if you keep experiencing pain... call your surgeon and insist on speaking to them, don't wait for your follow up appt.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
Kati
Sponsor
Kati

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Post Surgery Questions   Post Surgery Questions EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 2:12 pm

Chris, you are such an asset to this site.
Post Surgery Questions 446871
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Post Surgery Questions   Post Surgery Questions EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 2:08 pm

Hi Naomi and welcome
Kati has given some good suggestions, and I'll just add a couple of things to consider (in no particular order).
1. Pain - when you're eating, are you sure you're making the mix runny enough for where you're at, AND chewing it up really well, AND stopping before you feel full? Any one of these things can cause you to feel mild to severe pain after eating, if you don't do them right. Even half a teaspoon too much, especially just 2.5 weeks out, can be way too much, and I know it feels odd to chew mushies, but you still need to do that. Oh, and eating too fast can be a big problem too.
2. Hunger pains - are you on reflux meds? If not, get on them now - you can get a script from your GP if needed, if your surgeon didn't give you them.
3. Call your doc's office and tell them of the problems that you're having - I'm sure they'll try to fit you in somewhere earlier if you need it.
4. If the pain doesn't go away, or if it's severe, don't delay - go and see the surgeon immediately.
5. Is the pain at a particular time of the day? Eg if it's in the morning, try having a warm drink before trying to eat - lots of people find that it helps. And make sure that your last drink is at least 1/2 an hour before you eat, especially at this early stage.
Hope this helps, but the main thing to remember is that if you're having problems, call your doc - s/he is required to provide after care, and most are very approachable, especially if you're having problems.
Good luck, and let us know how you go.
Big hugs
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kati
Sponsor
Kati

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Post Surgery Questions   Post Surgery Questions EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 2:00 pm

Hi Naomi,
Firstly, congratulations on your sleeve!
Secondly: It sounds like you are already doing the most important things like getting enough fluids, and eating small amounts regularly. This is no mean feat when you are only two and a half weeks out, so well done!
Be proud of how well you are adjusting to the sleeve, and don't worry about the scales too much, especially as it is only very early days, and your body is undergoing a lot of change.

Now, I am no expert, but I have read somewhere on this forum that reflux can mimic hunger pains for some people, or even cause a rumbly tummy. Perhaps check out the reflux thread (from the Post-op part of the forum): http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/t1403-reflux-indigestion

Is there another dietician you can see? Perhaps someone who is also from Sydney can recommend one who is familiar with gastric sleeves.
I have found my dietician to be so very helpful - both for constructive advice and reassurance.
Otherwise could you bring the post-surgery follow up forward? Maybe just ring their office, and explain your concerns and see what the staff can do for you - you won't be the first person to ask these things, and they are often very 'clued in' if they deal with bariatric patients on a regular basis.

I found eating a bit painful early on, and had to concentrate on taking very small amounts, and just sipping water slowly (gets annoying when you are really thirsty, doesn't it?).
I am under the impression a little pain or slight discomfort is normal, and will improve over time. [Naomi, I am talking about minor pain or moderate discomfort. If you have strong pain please do not ignore it, and seek medical advice.]
It certainly is not easy, and I hope you are not feeling alone and worried.
Hopefully other people on this forum will have better advice for you, and I look forward to hearing how you are going.
love, kati
Back to top Go down
naomileigh
naomileigh

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Post Surgery Questions   Post Surgery Questions EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 1:20 pm

Hi Everyone!

I had my sleeve done on 15 April which puts me at about two and a half weeks into the "journey"... and I am having some issues that I am hoping you guys can shed some light on? I've spoken to the dietician, but she was absolutely no help unfortunately. I can't get a post surgery follow up with my surgeon until the end of this month, and even then it's with his off-sider and not him...

Firstly - does anyone else suffer from acute hunger pains during the course of the day, despite eating regularly? I am eating plenty of food and drinking almost two litres of water each day, but finding that about an hour after I eat I am as hungry as if I haven't eaten in days. This only started in the last week or so - the first week I had to remind myself to eat and had no issues.

Next - my weight loss has completely stalled, and I think it's creeping up, albeit it only by a few hundred grams. I have checked the calories I am consuming to make sure that is low and I am definitely under 1000 a day at most.

Finally - when I eat, I get a bit of pain after some mouthfuls, as though the food can't get through and has to push it's way in. This happens no matter what I eat (yoghurt, mashed potato or weetbix) and sometimes when I drink water.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as the support from my surgeon and dietician isn't great at the moment!

Naomi Post Surgery Questions 81722
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Surgery Questions   Post Surgery Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Surgery Questions
Page 1 of 1