Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
nevergiveup
nevergiveup

Female
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-02

About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyMon 09 Jun 2008, 2:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know this is kind of a weird question :cyclops: but how do our bowel movements (BM) change with the sleeve?
I think i might be constipated or maybe this is normal for being on fluids but I haven't had a BM since surgery 4 days ago and I am starting to get concerned.
I am adding benefibre and prune juice to everything i take in (and yes its gross) and I am still having no action :oops:
The dietician told me that the BM's will be less and happen less often - but what is less often? A week or more? And do things change later on when you move to mushies and then solids?
How long should i wait before panicking about not having one? :pale:
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Shanna
Sponsor

Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 7:52 pm

newlife wrote:
My dr told me to expect very loose movements post op as your body adjusts to new foods, which first few weeks are liquid, so I got extreme runs first few days, then nothing, then mostly water consistency last few days. So I think it is pretty normal. He did suggest that pain meds with codeine (if you need pain meds) can bind you a bit, but I wouldn't suggest this unless you need the pain meds. I have just been using paracetomol only the first few days but nothing since. It does seem to be getting a bit firmer on its own as my food is starting to thicken a bit.

Hey newlife- there is loose and then there is total brown water and that is where I am at. So far I have lost 11 pounds of water since I got home on Wednesday afternoon- but remember I went up 16 pounds in two days at the hospital so my stomach is still distended about 3 inches. Am on diuretics because the cardiologist wants this fluid off my heart now.

Just think of the variety I am adding to all the constipation posts.
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: befo   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 7:48 pm

KahunaLou wrote:
Shanna. It's too soon to take a laxative!! Only two-three days out??? I question this action, primarily due to the risk of malnourishment.

I'm not sure if I posted this earlier, but it happened to me starting a week and a half ago. I was doing great on getting back to solids. Doing fine on everything, EXCEPT.......

You guessed it.... the water.

Trying to get that 64 oz (1/2 galllon!) in each day.... even with Crystal Lite! Well, by not getting the water intake, sure enough, two-three days of discomfort... It's RIGHT THERE and not coming out!

I drank prune juice. I took laxatives. Finally, things moved PAINFULLY! after 5 days of true discomfort.

I'm forcing down that 64 oz now and things are back to normal after a week. I'm taking a low dose stool softeners, just in case.

Hey big Kahuna - you need to reread my post again. I took the laxative three days BEFORE THE OPERATION- not after. Oopsy daisy - have you watched Are you smarter than a fifth grader lately- I find that I am consistently not as smart. Pretty funny as I always used to think I was one sharp cookie.
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 5:05 pm

My dr told me to expect very loose movements post op as your body adjusts to new foods, which first few weeks are liquid, so I got extreme runs first few days, then nothing, then mostly water consistency last few days. So I think it is pretty normal. He did suggest that pain meds with codeine (if you need pain meds) can bind you a bit, but I wouldn't suggest this unless you need the pain meds. I have just been using paracetomol only the first few days but nothing since. It does seem to be getting a bit firmer on its own as my food is starting to thicken a bit.
Back to top Go down
KahunaLou
KahunaLou

Male
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 2:30 pm

Shanna. It's too soon to take a laxative!! Only two-three days out??? I question this action, primarily due to the risk of malnourishment.

I'm not sure if I posted this earlier, but it happened to me starting a week and a half ago. I was doing great on getting back to solids. Doing fine on everything, EXCEPT.......

You guessed it.... the water.

Trying to get that 64 oz (1/2 galllon!) in each day.... even with Crystal Lite! Well, by not getting the water intake, sure enough, two-three days of discomfort... It's RIGHT THERE and not coming out!

I drank prune juice. I took laxatives. Finally, things moved PAINFULLY! after 5 days of true discomfort.

I'm forcing down that 64 oz now and things are back to normal after a week. I'm taking a low dose stool softeners, just in case.
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: NOT constipated   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 8:44 am

what a rip- I read about everyone being constipated, and I wanted to start out my new skinny life fresh and clean so two days in a row a few days before the surgery I took a mild??? vegetable laxative that cleaned me out- seemed to work a charm but it has turned into a disaster because my movements are total water---I will spare you too many gory details other than I kept having to change my hospital linens myself since I felt well enough to move around by the next afternoon when they took out the catheter. I had this once before when I went to the hospital and had a raging viral infection, so I am going to email my doctor and see what he suggests if there isn't some improvement by today at noon.

Any suggestions anyone- I was thinking a banana might help
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female
Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyWed 10 Sep 2008, 8:37 am

DONE About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 2329
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyWed 10 Sep 2008, 8:28 am

lax now, do not wait. 8 days is long enough you will start feeling ikky soon.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyWed 10 Sep 2008, 3:00 am

Hmm I am 8 days and counting now I have started adding benefibre three days ago and managed 30 mls of prune juice (gawd I am glad I didnb't buy the litre bottle of that). Do you guys think I should use a lax now or keep the benefibre and prune juice up for a couple more days?

Cinni About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 796297
Back to top Go down
bigbugger71
bigbugger71

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Aug 2008, 11:07 am

I find that Benecol yogurts/yakult and fruit pouches (pureed fruit in a pouch for children!) help to keep me quite regular, I've been 4 times this week!
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Aug 2008, 9:30 am

Hi Cinni,

I go once a week now and that's only because I take laxettes to help me go. My doc told me to add Benefibre but I have found it doesn't agree with me. When I take it I get the worst agonising stomach pains and I bloat up with gas and even then it wasn't helping me to go so I take the laxettes once a week on weekends when I know I won't be at work LOL.

When I am able to get back onto a more normal diet and can get in real fibre hopefully things will go back to normal because I was a very regular daily girl before and now the longest I have been without going is 2 weeks before I sought help.

steph
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyTue 26 Aug 2008, 4:32 am

Thanks girls I will try the benefibre today. :-)
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyMon 25 Aug 2008, 11:44 pm

Hi Cinni.

My dietician recommended I get some Benefibre for taking while on Opti (and post surgery). She said with the Opti people usually either blocked up or had diarrhea.

Kaili.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyMon 25 Aug 2008, 8:26 pm

Hi Cinni
I wouldn't say I got constipated on Opti, but I did go less regularly - probably every few days.
Some people who had trouble found that if they increased their water, they went easier.
Others had to take Benefibre to help them out, or some other laxative.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyMon 25 Aug 2008, 1:18 pm

Seen as this is the bowel thread can I ask how long is normal to go without a BM? Did anyone get constipated on Opti?

Cinni
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 11:14 am

Hi Chrysalis,
I can relate exactly to what you are saying.
I started off with the runs with my protein shakes and then didn't go for 2 weeks. Upon Hayley's wonderful advice I went and bought some laxettes which helped me go (eventually) and spoke to my surgeon who told me to use Benefibre. I had bought it before the surgery but hadn't started on it but I find that when I use it I get awful stomach cramps and bloating and gas pains and would be in total agony at work and still I don't go. What I have started doing now and I know it's not good but I take the laxettes on a Thursday night as I don't work Fridays and I have to take again Saturday because I still feel full so to speak. And until I'm eating properly and getting more natural fibre in my diet I think this is the way I will have to go.
Good luck,
steph
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 1:50 am

go to the chemist and get Lactulose I think mine was called genlac. It is a liquid they use it for cancer patients it makes you go. No pain not nothing. Mind you it is pure runs when you go. so take it and it works about 1 hour later. BUT plan to be near the loo for the next couple of hours just incase. It never even gave me a real urge to go as such totaly odd you just think maybe you should try and wham it works. If you have not felt the urge to go about 2 hours after taking it try going to the bathroom just incase you do not get any sign of an urge. I took 50ml the dose said 45ml and I took it in 100ml of prune juice, but found 50ml of prune juice worked as well next time I needed it. It tastes pretty much like the prune juice vile thinck sweet stuff, like thick sugar water,, just just swollow I am afraid and suffer the taste.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrysalis
chrysalis

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 12:47 am

Ok guys need some help- had op last Tuesday had 1 episode loose stools last Wednesday, nothing since- have been having benefibre, prune juice, tried suppositories at weekend and 1 colloxly and senna tablet, had lactulose yesterday, colloxyl and senna had 2 tabs last night, still nothing.
Drinking about 1200-1300mls a day hard to do more- keeping physical active- but still nothing HELP!!!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Aug 2008, 4:52 am

Glad to hear you went, Jacqui - I felt like I was right there with you! LOL
Probably a good idea to go back a little on the diet - can't hurt, and might help.
Chris
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 Aug 2008, 3:50 am

OMG just had movement at the station.... holy moly it was like giving birth (I imagine!) This is waaayyyy TMI but it took a long time coming - but it wasn't giving up this time (ie it wasn't me trying to make it happen) and when it finally came it was about 20cm long! Feeling exhausted now.

Have not had a problem with constipation since the first one after the op - have been monitoring fibre and fluid and been ok - although struggling with the water and timing it with meals etc. So this kind of came out of the blue - one day was fine the next day very much struggling. So it's been about two/three days and my body kept wanting me to go, and there was something RIGHT THERE ready to go - but it just was too dry perhaps to come out.

I think the culprits may have been:

1. I've moved a bit too quick on my diet - although I've felt fine with it my body might need some more time to adjust. I'm so keen to get onto lean protein, vegies/salad/fruit and wholegrains that I may be rushing myself - so going back to mushier foods for a little while and then just introducing things a little slower again. There may have actually been too much fibre too soon.

2. Not enough water (ongoing struggle) and not good water - the water here is heavily chlorinated right now - I've just scored some bottled water and will buy some more tonight to take to work - I think the chlorine might actually be drying out my insides as well as my outsides (skin very dry after a shower).

Right now I just don't want to get back to that stage again so will have to keep a closer eye on it even than I was.
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyWed 16 Jul 2008, 4:12 am

Hey Chris,

I slept in the family room last night and watched tv off and on through the night so that's why I slept so long again this morning (that was after my 6am call as well) :lol!:

I'm still on the antibiotics he put me on last week so hopefully this well help me too.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyWed 16 Jul 2008, 4:06 am

Ha ha ha - isn't that interesting?
As I posted this, I thought to myself that no-one else would be up at 4am! :x Sounds like you get a good sleep again after you get up, though. Lucky you! :D
Like you, Steph, I have a bug at the moment - and it's getting worse, not better. Looks like I'll end up on antibiotics again, the way it's going. Oh well, that's okay.
I'm lucky because I don't have small kids and I'm not currently working, so I don't have to worry about anyone else except hubby, and he's pretty self-sufficient (although he's at home, sick with the same bug, at the moment).
:afro:
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyWed 16 Jul 2008, 2:05 am

Hi Chris,

Boy I'm lazy, LOL, only just woke up. Although I have decided to do absolutely nothing for the rest of the week as I'm on my own till Saturday and I've got a sore throat and ear so hopefully will be able to shake off before I go back to work next week.

I have been waking up through the night too and yes always at 4am but not with diahrea though, thank goodness. I have been waking several times to go to loo but that's because I'm not used to drinking so much fluids during the day. I have had diahrea a couple of times post op but never through the night.

Hope things settle down for you.

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyTue 15 Jul 2008, 11:38 pm

Hi everyone
Has anyone else been waking up early in the morning to go to the loo?
The other night it was just wind, and then yesterday it was a normal BM. And today I had diarrohea again.
All at exactly 4.00 am.
Weird, huh?
This hasn't happened to me before, so I assume it's just my body's way of adapting, but gee, I wish it would wait until at least 6am!
And of course to top it off, I haven't been able to go back to sleep afterwards...
A very tired Chris
:afro:
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyMon 14 Jul 2008, 10:07 am

steph can I suggest you put at least one extra upngo in your bag incase you lag in the early afternoon. they are tetrapack so doesnt matter if it doesnt get used and might make the difference between a good day and a gawd I just feel like ikkkkkkkk. The male of the species found his little packs of those and the tiny tins of tuna where his life savers to have with him :) All be it the little tins of tuna where a few weeks later :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyMon 14 Jul 2008, 9:50 am

I have decided that I will either stick with the Up and Go or Optifast or take a sachet of Sustagen Hospital formula and my shaker and just have that for my lunches at work. I don't want to risk trying new foods while I am there. I don't get a lunch break anyhow so have to eat and work (my choice so I can finish earlier). By doing this it will work out easier for me as I can sip away as I am working.

Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 EmptyMon 14 Jul 2008, 9:46 am

I think that is why you suddenly go limp in the third week you are back at work or running around and going from those calorie laiden nourising liquids to mushies and suddenly if you do not watch it I was on like 300 calories in a day and wondering why the world was spinning and I felt like I wanted to sleep all the time. I think we run to mushies very fast and dump those nourising liquids rather to quick without keeping track of how low in calories we are dropping. I agree tho on the protien thing. the more you can make protien the better for you :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next