AuthorMessage
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2010-08-02

About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyFri 03 Jun 2011, 9:55 am

I think it's disgraceful the way hospitals release patients early. I insisted on staying on for 5 days / 4 nights, despite the "tut tuts" from the staff. If you have comprehensive insurance you should be able to stay for a week. Ofcourse those people who have to pay would want to get out asap.

If you're unsure or in pain, phone the hospital and speak to the head nurse. They should have discharged you with a contact name and number should you have concerns. Otherwise call your surgeon's office and seek assistance there.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
killerbabe82
killerbabe82

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-04-08

PostSubject: been sleeved since monday the 30th may   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyWed 01 Jun 2011, 11:15 pm

hi i had my sleeve done 3 days ago, monday the 30th may at 5pm, i was in a bit of pain and groggy the first day and a half but especially yesterday i wasnt taking much pain releif and had the swallow test and then was released last night, since about 2 hours after the swollow test i started having diareah, quiet bad, the nurses and doc said its fine its probley from the stuff in the test.
last night was very uncomfortable trying to find a spot that didnt cause pain to sleep in and every few hours having cramps and diareah which has continued into today, has anyone elce felt likt this, i am worried i am loosing more than i am putting in as i can still only hand sips of apple juice and water
i also feel bubbles like small burps every time i drink is this normal?

is it normal for the doctors to release from hospital after only less than 3 days?
Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyFri 29 Apr 2011, 3:48 am

Hey Lib,

Did you find anything that works for you? I also have the opposite problem to most on here at the mo! I have had the constipation thing a lot, alternating with diahorrea but for the past 2 weeks it's been the second extreme and it's killing me... every day i end up running to the toilet at some point or another :( thought it might be the type of food, but it happened this avo after drinking a glass of water.

On the upside, the weight has been melting off this past fortnight :)
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyWed 27 Apr 2011, 9:54 am

Kylie enough wrote:
I have found Carob coated licorice works wonders for me takes just one or two sticks and the bowels open up easy. Only do it when i am planning on staying in for the day.

Yummy! Any excuse to eat licorice is a good reason! Ha!
Back to top Go down
Kylie enough
Kylie enough

Female
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-10-10

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyWed 27 Apr 2011, 12:06 am

I have found Carob coated licorice works wonders for me takes just one or two sticks and the bowels open up easy. Only do it when i am planning on staying in for the day.
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 12:14 pm

great! let me know how the passionfruit goes xxx
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 10:29 am

Big Softie wrote:
I use Blackmores Peritone - it's a herbal laxative. Take 2 and then 1 each day after that.

Great! I'd much rather have a herbal laxative if it's as good as coloxyl. Thanks for that.
Back to top Go down
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 8:56 am

Well, Mel, ate the passionfruit, had steak and salad and all is well with the world, could have been the movicol!

I'll try the passionfruit every day for a week and see what happens and let you know!

Great to see you today....legend!!!

XXXX
Back to top Go down
tarnz
Part of the furniture
tarnz

Female
Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 8:54 am

dont know if this will help anyone else but a small amount of flavoured milk gets me going .. less than half a glass
Back to top Go down
Big Softie

Female
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 7:58 am

I use Blackmores Peritone - it's a herbal laxative. Take 2 and then 1 each day after that.
Back to top Go down
didles
Part of the furniture
didles

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 7:24 am

Just a quick thought I take endone (morphine) for pain and have issues, well big issues with the loo and I found that movicol and apple juice helped as well as coloxyl with senna. PLain movicol does nothing and the taste argh but once I said to the nurses (was in hospital) if I cold have it with apple juice after a couple of doses it worked.
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 3:20 am

Yep ladies - I hear you and can sympathise!

They should inform as when we get the op about how bad constipation is so at least then we'd be prepared for the embarrassment! I'm terrifed that I'll be having to have haemorroid ops soon! Ugghhh!!!!!
About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve 878453
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 3:14 am

jane just sms'd u
Back to top Go down
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 3:12 am

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry!

Coccolocco, nothing works for me, thats the point!!!

Might try narmacol and see if it works............

At least we are all in this together!!

xx
Back to top Go down
cocoloco
Part of the furniture
cocoloco

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 2:59 am

Oh Janelou - that's awful :-(

As someone who is most of the way through a 'rebuild' I can empathise.

When things were desperate I used dulcolax suppositories for almost instant relief.

Long term I am now a convert to narmacol plus as I have waffled on about in previous posts!

Find something that works for you and save yourself a whole load of hassle down the line :-)

Coco x
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 2:53 am

oh love :(
Back to top Go down
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 2:21 am

Well, I had 2 sachets of Movicol last night and nothing...........!

Thats how bad I am, I can see myself in hospital for a whole rebuild down there as my a*se will fall out soon from all the straining!!

Hope that made everyone laugh!!!
Back to top Go down
cocoloco
Part of the furniture
cocoloco

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 2:19 am

Each to their own and I guess we all have to find what works for us :-)

Personally Benefibre made me worse and my Doctor (Colorectal surgeon) told me that it can have the opposite of it's desired effect and effectively 'clog' your plumbing - noice!

On my surgeon's adviceI have been taking normacol plus which is a natural fibre supplement & gentle laxative combined. The granules look like ground coffee/cat litter and are not exactly a joy to take but the have made a huge difference to me. I have a teaspoon every day (sometimes every other day) and wash it down with a glass of water/juice and it keps everything working beautifully!

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001877.html

I prefer to stick to something that is more fibre supplement and less pure laxative that my body may become dependent on iykwim? So I would sugest that if Benefibre is not working for you maybe give them a try before resorting to the stronger laxatives :-)

Coco x
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 1:41 am

i think though with benefibre it's meant to be safe to use indefinitely whereas laxatives like coloxyl are short term use

i am having a lot of problems with my bowels - i have to keep on top of it otherwise i get really constipated

i'm trying to drink 1.8L of water
taking benefibre twice a day
taking metamucil capsules
and i have some nuts for breakfast most mornings

it's a neverending cycle
Back to top Go down
lilac
Part of the furniture
lilac

Female

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyMon 25 Apr 2011, 1:37 am

Benefibre actually makes me worse not better. I don't know how it helps people at all quite frankly. The doctor tells me that Benefibre is only of use when you're not constipated - it is supposed to prevent constipation. The Coloxyl with Senna is the best - as it's not too powerful but still works.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptySun 24 Apr 2011, 9:33 pm

Well i got the trusty benefibre out this morning.

So will up my intake of this and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptySat 23 Apr 2011, 9:34 am

No I don't.

What I do though..............

Eat high fibre bread, crackers, cereal.
Have a piece of fresh fruit each day.
Also I eat some nuts and sultanas each day.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Constipation Issues?   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptySat 23 Apr 2011, 8:34 am

Hi guys

Im about 8 months out, and just wondering if you guys have any probs with constipation.

If you do, what do you take for it?

And please, I wont be able to stomach prune juice or anything foul or festy like that.

Thanks!

N
Back to top Go down
Josie2
Part of the furniture
Josie2

Female
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyFri 22 Apr 2011, 1:15 am

Hi Aquarius,

I have found when I have taken laxatives in the past they have made me feel awful and have given me that thirst you are describing, but no matter how much I drank it did not go away. I would try and avoid the laxatives and have managed to do so since the sleeve by just adding benefibre to everything. I have found it does not make me feel yuk as the laxatives did. I would try fishyoutofwater's suggestion of 4 serves of benefibre a day in place of the laxatives if u can. Best of luck.
About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve 217555 About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve 217555 About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve 217555 About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve 217555 About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve 217555 About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve 217555 About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve 217555
Back to top Go down
AzinOZ
Part of the furniture
AzinOZ

Female
Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve EmptyFri 22 Apr 2011, 12:38 am

I've had this prob off and on since my surgery too, coloxyl with senna always works like a charm for me :)
Back to top Go down
http://meltingawayinoz.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve   About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

About Constipation And Bowel Movements With the Sleeve
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next