8 posters
AuthorMessage
OzGreek
OzGreek

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyThu 13 Aug 2009, 12:24 am

i used benefibre for the first two weeks post surgery to help me move bowls. i found it easy to use cause i put it in everything i ate or drunk. so a teaspoon in each meal and tea did wonders for me.
now i just boil some prunes and drink the juice which i find just as great. i even get to eat the very soft prunes too(bonus to chew something soft without hurting going down because im still in the puree soft food stage)
but everyone is different and end of the day its trial and error what works for some and not for others.
goodluck
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyWed 12 Aug 2009, 2:10 pm

well it moved without benefibre but I might start taking some to get back to normal
Back to top Go down
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyWed 12 Aug 2009, 9:45 am

My secret cure for need-to-fix-constipation .... drum roll.... a glass of pear juice!!!!

However, I did find it was better when I took Benefibre on a more regular basis, at least for the first few months. I stopped taking it about 4 1/2 months out as my body has adjusted.
Sophia
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyWed 12 Aug 2009, 12:23 am

Thanks everyone. I think I will give the doctor a call
Back to top Go down
suzie002

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-26

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyTue 11 Aug 2009, 11:40 pm

fatgeek wrote:
I was told that once you are constipated there is no point trying Benefibre etc as they are preventatives and you will need a stool softener.

I was told to stay away from Benefibre from several people. The MiraLAX is a stool softener and I swear by that. I would recommend it to anyone after surgery. It has no taste and within 2 days, I was fine and didn't have a problem after that. I was told that Benefibre can cause gas and bloating. I had nothing like that with the MiraLAX.
Back to top Go down
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyTue 11 Aug 2009, 11:12 pm

I was told that once you are constipated there is no point trying Benefibre etc as they are preventatives and you will need a stool softener.
Back to top Go down
suzie002

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-26

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyTue 11 Aug 2009, 3:20 pm

Hi Allie,

I had the same trouble and found out in our group meetings that we all did. We were told to take a stool softener as long as it was liquid. I could take pills at the 6 weeks mark but until then I used MiraLAX and it worked wonders. I actually think it worked better than the pills but the pills are more convenient. You do need to take something though so I would call and ask to speak to a nurse at the doctor's office to see what you can take. I wouldn't wait until Monday to see the doctor. Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
NanJo
NanJo

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyTue 11 Aug 2009, 1:22 pm

Hi Allie,
I know my doctor prefers Benefibre as it doesn't swell inside the stomach, but I suggest you contact your doctors office. The advice seems to be different for each doctor, each state, each country. Just call and ask them if they have a prefered product, your questions won't be anything that they haven't heard before and you will have the benefit of knowing for sure what is best for you.
I hope the earth moves for you soon. ;-)
Jo
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyTue 11 Aug 2009, 12:47 pm

there may not be much waiting to come out Allie, but you can try benefibre, it works for some people, if not try metamucil or something that dissolves, maybe not normacol just yet, its too big a granule... if you are uncomfy try something, it can't hurt if its water soluable
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyTue 11 Aug 2009, 12:44 pm

Hi Allieswans,

I haven't been sleeved yet but I can only assume that as your body hasn't actually digested anything 'solid' that there shouldn't be too much to move.

Hopefully you will get some good advise on how to budge it.

:[img]http://sm
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements EmptyTue 11 Aug 2009, 11:37 am

Okay this is a TMI thread

I have read the previous BM thread but didn't get my answer. I am seeing my surgeon on Monday but can't wait that long so thought some of you long term sleevers could help.

How many people take benefibre or something similar?

Normally a regular once a day kind of gal. I have gone once since I got home from surgery but now I can't go and its causing me discomfort because I think I need to go but it just won't budge.

What have others done when they experienced this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bowel Movements Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowel Movements   Bowel Movements Empty

Back to top Go down

Bowel Movements
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: