Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
workdanceplay
workdanceplay

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyThu 11 Feb 2010, 12:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just had sleeve surgery with Dr Costa Karihaloo at lake macquarie private hospital and he and his staff have been fantastic!

any questions ask away.......
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
alter ego

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyFri 09 Apr 2010, 11:03 pm

Op on the 17/03 and 1st week fairly quite, then up and running, not back at work till Monday 12th, but my daughter got engaged before Easter and she has been on holidays as well, so we have been doing the wedding looking thing.

I am really so glad I have had this done, I now know I will be a thinner me in November the?? Wedding date.

When op was done there was no drain or catheter for me, there was pain pump, IV Panadol, IV Nexium, and Saline IV, TED stockings and leg pumps, stayed in Hospital gowns with my PJ bottoms for about 2 days until IV’s came out and then yay into my own gear – which was also pretty stunning.

Puree stage is not that good, so far everything I have pureed looks or smells like dogs food or other end, and texture in mouth is not that good, I cant handle the taste or texture.
Nicole my dietician is off on maternity leave but she did say I could contact her, which I did on her mobile but she has not got back to me!! Oh well lots of info on the site for what if’s
So at the end of my dilemma, I have found Lattina and Leggo’s fresh Bolognaise sauce, with a sprinkle of parmesan on it at least 2 meals a day is going great.
Have a Optifast with added protein powder, equal sweetener and have only started Benefibre, for breakfast, Try to get in 2 glasses of V8/fruit juice as well as all the water.

Feel really good, a little muscle fatigue from not enough protein, had to go and buy whey isolate protein powder to help me thru.
PS: weight loss since Opitfast – 5 weeks , 13kg.
PPS: Constipation was never an issue, I had the reverse problem, back at work on Monday soooooooo hoping the diarrhoea does not come back with a vengeance.
Luv

Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 2329
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyFri 09 Apr 2010, 6:04 am

sandy_lou wrote:

How's everyone going with their losses? Alter, haven't seen you for ages, you must be out living life!

Ditto to the above!
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyFri 09 Apr 2010, 5:34 am

KatieJ wrote:
our son is playing his first AFL game down there on the weekend. I figured I could sleep just as well in Melbourne as I could at home!

Wow! That is exciting! Who does he play for?

How's everyone going with their losses? Alter, haven't seen you for ages, you must be out living life!
Back to top Go down
http://gastricsleevesandy.blogspot.com/
KatieJ

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyWed 07 Apr 2010, 2:31 am

Hi Sandy Lou, am feeling good! Tiredness is the only thing that I'm having to deal with physically, but it's school holidays, so there's plenty of time for resting up. Have been for a swim and a few little walks, no discomfort at all. Steve and I are just packing to make a slow and steady trip to Melbourne, as our son is playing his first AFL game down there on the weekend. I figured I could sleep just as well in Melbourne as I could at home! Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 19756
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWnB0bB/]
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 10:45 am

How are you feeling, Katie?
I think he's done more than 10 sleeves but I did notice that myself. I know of 4 since I first made my appointment in February so I don't think it's been updated for a while. I'm with HCF, sorry, can't help you there. Try emailing them with the item number 30518 and see what they say.

Last edited by sandy_lou on Fri 09 Apr 2010, 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 6:57 am

[quote="Girly"]

I was looking at Dr Costa Karihaloo web site with Dr Jon Gani, and it says he only has done 10 cases of laparoscopic gastric sleeve. Not sure how old this is? Anyone know what his current figures are?

Hi Girly, I can't quote exact numbers, but I'm fairly sure Costa has performed way more than 10 sleeve surgeries, maybe one of the girls done recently will jump on here & give a more accurate answer. Every one of his patients on here have had really good recoveries, & lots of praise for Costa & Lake Macquarie Private

Welcome aboard KatieJ!
Back to top Go down
KatieJ

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 2:03 am

Thought I should move to here as I'm not really a newbie any more. I'm on the other side now, surgery on Wednesday and home yesterday. All going well, just super tired! Don't know where to start, so if you have any questions or are scared about things, just post it here and I'll do all I can to make you feel better! The most important thing to remember is that you have so much courage to even be considering this step...so feel good!

PS. Thanks to sandy lou and cos I'm worth it for being so welcoming and letting me know that all of us Dr K fans are right here!
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWnB0bB/]
Girly

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptySat 03 Apr 2010, 10:56 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I live on mid north coast and currently deciding which dr to go through for my surgery.

I was looking at Dr Costa Karihaloo web site with Dr Jon Gani, and it says he only has done 10 cases of laparoscopic gastric sleeve. Not sure how old this is? Anyone know what his current figures are?

Also anyone with MBF? What did your upfront and the your total out of pocket expenses add up to?

Thanks so much, very much excited about getting the ball rolling
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 2:39 am

Thanks Cos
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 2:18 am

sandy_lou wrote:
I'm putting together a blog of the whole experience and doing an entry on the costs. Can someone tell me how much Dr Costa charges for appointments after the initial one? And if you know how much you got back from Medicare? Thanks

Mine have been $60. Havent been to Medicare yet.

Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 697586

Happy Easter!
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 1:55 am

I'm putting together a blog of the whole experience and doing an entry on the costs. Can someone tell me how much Dr Costa charges for appointments after the initial one? And if you know how much you got back from Medicare? Thanks
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyWed 31 Mar 2010, 4:04 am

workdanceplay wrote:

Just an update i am sitting on 100kgs just want to get to double digits instead of triple.
I have lost 21.3kgs in 10 wks.

Well done! That's awesome! I didn't see the person you're speaking of, what size do you think she is? I go to Curves 4 times per week and I have a BMI of 41! (gee, up 2 points from the start of this thread and Costas scale has me heavier than mine)

cos im worth it wrote:
Remember the lady at the seminar that spoke to us? I believe she had the gastric by-pass. I also think she said if you wanted to discuss anything with her that the Dr's rooms will give you contact details?
Yes, she lost heaps so quickly, didn't she? I don't think the bypass is for me, nice to have a backup plan. Maybe I misheard him, recall is not my strong point.

I saw Cathy this morning and got my blood drawn as well. She said that I have a great diet, nothing to change except how much of it I shove down my throat. She wants me to have a bone scan because of my Mum, Nan and Aunty's osteoporosis. Does anyone know where you get these done? I don't really want to ask my Mother as she will pry and I don't want her to know what I'm doing. How did your appointment go, Alter?
Back to top Go down
workdanceplay
workdanceplay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyWed 31 Mar 2010, 3:39 am

Hi cos im worth it,

Yes i did have a pain pump, i told them straight away that i was allergic to morpheine. I wasnt too keen on having the pump, but glad i did in the end, remember you dont have to use it, plus im pretty sure i was also on a drip of panadol at the same time.
Speak to them about it - (the anaethetist) before your op,thats usually just before you go in.

For anyone that did see the lady with the black/dark hair, that had the lap band, she did later end up having the bypass- she probably wasnt the best example of weight loss surgery, as she didnt give a clear representation of one surgery in particular ,eg lapband or sleeve or bypass. she was a combination of both she had lapband then bypass. The nurse at the clinic also told me that she goes to the gym 4 to 5 times a week.
I am not denying that she looks great, im just letting you know the bigger picture, and keep in mind that bypass is usually the last resort for of weight loss surgery, due to the risks involved. I think its best to use less radical surgery and then if that doesnt work opt for the bypass.

Ps/ I did go to see Costa to have the bypass until he explained to me the pros and cons and said that he usually only does bypass on extremely morbidly obese patients, and he thinks that the bypass will give them quicker and better results. The other deciding factor was Costa and Dr Garni work together on a sat to perform this operation due to the fact that neither of them have performed the operation alot- i think combined they had only done 5 ops and that was when i saw him in january.
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 11:48 pm

My appointments.
Shane on the 16th April
Nicole 4th May
Costa on the 11th May.
Not too long to wait.

workdanceplay - congratulations on your weight loss so far. Soooooo close to double digits now!
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 11:01 pm

sandy_lou- Remember the lady at the seminar that spoke to us? I believe she had the gastric by-pass. I also think she said if you wanted to discuss anything with her that the Dr's rooms will give you contact details?

workdanceplay - Great to hear all going so well for you!

Did you have a "pain pump" when you woke up? I'm going to ask not to have one, unless it can administer straight panadol. This probably sounds weird, but I get migraines, & also "re-bound headaches" from anything containing codeine. Think I will have enough to contend with, without headaches thrown in for good measure!
Back to top Go down
workdanceplay
workdanceplay

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 12:23 pm

hi all,

Just an update i am sitting on 100kgs just want to get to double digits instead of triple.
I have lost 21.3kgs in 10 wks.

The comments i am getting are great, it makes you feel so special and even more motivated.
I finally feel alive!

None of you will regret this decision. Like many say on this sight say - "you will wish you did it earlier".

I will support ANY of you ALL the way. Just say the word! Any Q's fire away.....
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 10:16 am

All went well for me, my case is a little different but the Dr in Sydney gave the ok to go ahead with the surgery!!! So happy!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 9:42 am

Bypass scares me, it looks so complicated
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 9:40 am

Nope. He only mentioned the bypass in regards to it being an option further down the track.
Sorry I can't help.
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 9:35 am

Did he say anything to you about gastric bypass? Wish that I asked him why he brought it up. I wrote down all my gains and loses so 20kg on, 30kg off, 15kg on, 40 on, 30 off for 20years...not sure whether that made a difference to bypass over sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 9:33 am

No idea. He just mentioned he would be 'away' at the end of June/ beginning of July. It might not be personal time off, maybe he is going to seminars or something.
Certainly sounds as if our operations will be close, even if we aren't all in hospital together.
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 9:25 am

My social calendar is normally pretty clear but I've got so much on lately! Seeing Diesel on the 4th April, Kelly Clarkson on the 15th, Mother's Day, then Lovedale...that's incredibly busy for me!

I'm beyond excited!

Oh, what happens at the Psyc evaluation? I'm seeing Dr Shane someone at the Junction (cards upstairs, if I go and look my kids will corner me for something). Computers down undernearth off the garage, nice quiet little cubby hole.

Edited to add, we might be in at the same time, Eternlslday and my friend was the 12.30 appointment today and she said looks like mid-May for her too. April should fly by, with a bit of luck.

Why's Dr Costa going on leave again?
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 9:22 am

I might get lucky with appointment times...my appointment with Nicole is on the 4th (which is exactly 1 week after my appointment with Dr Costa was supposed to be... DH has been on the phone all day today so I haven't had the chance to call them back yet)
If I get in quick enough after that I still may be sleeved before Dr Costa goes on leave again (at the end of June)

Sandy_lou - Congrats on the windfall of a cancellation appointment! That is so awesome! And I agree, the nurse was wonderful.

CIWI - May will be here REALLY fast. 4 kids. Easter holidays. Mothers Day and my birthday. If I have to wait a month at least it's a full one!
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 8:33 am

Hey sandy_lou, looks like its all falling into place for you!
Well done on getting the dieticians appt., that was lucky!
Guaranteed you'll be offerred a surgery date that mucks Lovedale up for you! Things have been really quiet, socially for me, for aaaages. Blow me down, two lots of friends want to get together after Easter to go out for dinner & a catch-up. Thats when I'll have started on the Opti-fast. Bugger! See, at this stage I'm not telling anyone only immediate family. I really want to do Opti to the letter, looks like I'll have to get the excuse manual out. Bugger.

Eternlslady- May will get here before you know it! I can't believe I'm almost counting down the sleeps till my op. Aaaaaggghh.........
Good luck with the appointments.
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 4:39 am

My appointment was at 2. Its now 2.35. I got in to see the nurse at 2.15 and just got out. My friend had an appointment at noon and was leaving as i arrived at 1.50. I've managed to put on 8kg since i made the initial appointment, shocker! Thank goodness for net phones to pass the time.

Edited to add. I was out by 3pm so he definately caught up. My BMI is now 41 and he said something like, "I would recommend gastric bypass for you" but we are getting such good results with the sleeve. I was a little surprised and it didn't register properly exactly what he said, I'll ask next appointment.

I have an appointment with the Dietician tomorrow (someone cancelled whilst I was there...yay). Just made an appointment with the psyc on 16th April and back to Costa on the 27th April to make a surgery date. It's going to be right on Lovedale..isn't it? LOL. My sister and two friends are coming up from Sydney and they have paid and it's not refundable. I really don't want to push the surgery date back, hopefully my sister and friends are okay with going without me. It will be a lovely Mother's Day present. Oh, how nice was the nurse? Just lovely, bubbly person. Everyone was really nice. So I was in and out in an hour, pretty good considering how late he was in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 3:24 am

WOW! Was he running late today or what? I didn't get in to see the nurse until 11 and my appointment was for 10:15!

All is set for me. I have to do the compulsory running around trying to find a dietician who isn't on holiday *grin*
I have an appointment with Nicole in May and as soon as the slack receptionists get back I will make my appointment with the psychologist (which is an hour away from my house, DH isn't a happy chappy!)

Dr K is quite happy to go along with the sleeve (he told me referral was a first. I was actually referred specifically for a sleeve, not for 'weight loss surgery'... not quite sure whether to believe him) there was a mention of me probably having surgery in May, but that was before finding out that I can't get an appointment with a dietician before then, so I guess I will be waiting a little longer.

How did everyone else go today? And did I miss waving at any of you?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next