Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
workdanceplay
workdanceplay

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-02-01

Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyThu 11 Feb 2010, 12:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just had sleeve surgery with Dr Costa Karihaloo at lake macquarie private hospital and he and his staff have been fantastic!

any questions ask away.......
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 1:57 pm

Hi Kirsty,

Have a read of the Welcome to Newbies section. The instructions for the ticker are there, have a read of the whole section, it will give you an idea of how the site works.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
Kirsty.byrnes
Kirsty.byrnes

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 12:08 pm

Thanks so much for that. yeah i have read that the opti fast seems to be pretty bad for everyone. not looking forward to it. :-)
I hope i don't get reflux. I sometimes get a bit of heart burn and it's awful. Could you please explain to me how i put the tracker (Trickery factory) on my profile?

Kirsty
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 8:54 am

I've been sleeved since 31st May this year.

My biggest struggle since surgery.... Probably drinking enough. I can scull a few mouthfuls at a time now but I still struggle to get in my full 2L/day. I simply forget to drink frequently enough.
My biggest physical issue is that I still have reflux when I don't take my medicine but Costa gave me a 6 month repeating prescription for Nexium. When I take it I don't suffer at all. And the reflux goes away within half an hour of taking it.

As you can see from my ticker, I've lost an amazing amount of weight and, other than week 3-4 I haven't really felt tired from lack of energy so I'd call it a complete success. I eat whatever I feel like, but I've always loved proteins, a good thing considering how the meat portion of a meal is all I can fit in now! It really has been the best thing I have ever done.

I'll be really honest. The 2 weeks of optifast is hellish. And while you are in hospital you will cry. (Don't ask me why... it's a bit like the 3 day blues you get after having a baby... maybe the loss of stomach, the hormones trying to repair you or trying to get the anaesthetic out of your system) but you will almost forget all that after a little while.

If you want to know what the surgery/ hospital stay/ first few weeks is like I wrote out my experiences in my diary.
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/eternl-truth-t2763-50.htm
Back to top Go down
Kirsty.byrnes
Kirsty.byrnes

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 17 Sep 2010, 10:27 pm

Hi Eternlslady,
Thanks for you reply. i was worried it would take a bit longer than i thought. I am just a bit worried about taking so much time off when i would have only been there around 6 weeks to 2 months. i suppose will just have to see. How long have you been sleeved for now? and if you don't mind me asking what was your biggest struggle?
Kirsty Cat
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 12:50 am

I hate to say it, but although I could get back into light physical housework in week 2, I had to take frequent breaks until about 4 weeks after surgery.
The simple reason being that with so little food being consumed I had very little energy.

I have done night fill... whether you will be able to handle it will depend on a couple of things
1) How long is your shift? I would have been able to do a 4 hour shift 3 weeks after surgery as long as someone else was loading the trolley up for me (ie. I avoided lifting heavy boxes).
2) Will Woolworths give you light duties when you go back after surgery? Technically they have to, but it doesn't always work out that way, especially if you are a new staff member.
3) Will you be casual or permanent? If you are casual they might just cut your hours right back while you are still recovering (giving you short shifts every couple of days) but you might suffer from very few shifts for quite some time. If you are permanent then they might not be able to be as flexible.
Back to top Go down
Kirsty.byrnes
Kirsty.byrnes

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 12:23 pm

Hi peoples.
I have just spent the last half hr reading all of your interesting posts. So much great info. I am a newbi to the Sleeve club. i have had my first appointment with Costa and have done the xrays and am due to see the phsyc next wed then see costa again late sep to organise a date for surgery. i am a bit worried about work as i am applying for jobs and might get one in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping to get a night fill position at woolworths which i have herd is physical demanding which wouldn't normally worry me but i don't want to take too much time off if i have just started. can anyone let me know how long after surgery would you have felt like you could have done a physical job like night fill.
Also can anyone give me any feed back on Dr Costa. Good or Bad.
Thanks heaps and glad to be sleeving it up with you all. :-) Dog
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptySun 18 Jul 2010, 11:57 pm

Just noticed that Dr Costa has a new website http://www.newcastlesurgeon.com.au/
Back to top Go down
http://gastricsleevesandy.blogspot.com/
baygirl
baygirl

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyThu 15 Jul 2010, 9:05 am

Thanks girls. That's all great to know. Can't wait for mine to be over.
Cheers
Baygirl
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyThu 15 Jul 2010, 3:28 am

1.How long did the surgery take?
My Anesthesiologist bill said 2hrs15mins. I was wheeled out of my room around noon and woke up at 4pm. I remember waking up, kicking my legs and in a far bit of pain. Ask for as many drugs as they will give you.

2.How many incisions did you have?
5, 4 across the stomach, one tiny one between the boobs.

3.Were they stitched?
No idea, I think they might be stitched inside, disolvable stitches perhaps? I don't know to be honest.

4.How long did they take to heal?
One weeped and I think I should have seen someone about it but it has a scab now. It's been 6 weeks and they are thin red lines. I saw Flo yesterday and hers look better than mine so I think it's an individual thing how quickly you heal. I took the dressings off by day 6, I couldn't stand the itching.

5.What about scars?
Too early to tell if they will scar or not.

6.I have no idea what happens with the anaesthetist. Do they contact you before and when do they get paid??
I received a letter from Tom Eggleton before surgery. He came and saw me about an hour before the operation. I received a bill for $2500 two weeks afterwards which said if you pay my the end of the month it will be $1500. It said I could have a post op appointment which lasted all of 30 seconds and he would bill HCF if I paid the gap at the appointment. My out of pocket was $400.

7.How long were you in hospital?
Surgery Monday, out on Thursday lunchtime.

8.Did you get a private room?
Yes but Alter Ego and Cos I'm Worth it had shared rooms, not sure how it worked out.

9.Did you take a laptop in with you, and if so did the wireless broadband work OK?
Yes, it worked great.

10.How long were you drinking that Fresubin for??
I didn't buy any, I just sticked with Opti and soups. Liquid diet for 2 weeks, you don't want to stretch your sleeve whilst it's healing

11.What was the first "real food" you ate and how long after surgery.
I had mince in heaps of gravy 2 weeks out. At 6 weeks I have a go at anything but pancakes never again

12.How long till you went back to work?
I'm a stay at home Mum, I did a load of washing and cooked the kids hamburgers the Thursday I got home. No rest for the wicked! I would get really tired and collapse with exhaustion regularly. If you have good friends and family that will help you, take them up on it, I lucked out in those areas.

13.Finally, where are you all up to with foods now. And has anyone had a wine?? Beer??
I had a sip of my husbands red 3 weeks out and it went down a treat so I poured a glass. I can sip a glass over 2-3hrs with dinner but if I have an afternoon drink with no meal, I can drink 3 glasses easily. I love red wine and am glad I can still enjoy it. I've had a beer but burp a lot and don't enjoy the second part as much. I like beer cold and it tends to warm up after half an hour. I'm glad I can't scull half a carton in no time flat anymore. (Listen to me, I sound like a 16yr old binge drinker)

Feel free to ask anymore questions. The first week after the operation sucks but it's all up hill from there.

Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyThu 15 Jul 2010, 2:13 am

I 'lost' about 3 hours starting from when I was taken down to prep until I was back in my room. You will be given an injection that is supposed to relax you but a side effect is short term memory loss. I don't remember recovery at all.
I'm pretty sure the surgery itself is less than an hour.

5 incisions - 4 in a line below my ribs, the longest is about 5cm, 3 about 2cm and 1 tiny little 1 cm one between my breasts
3.Were they stitched?
No. Costa glues them. Nothing to be removed except the dressings 1-2 weeks after surgery.
They looked mostly healed by the time I took the dressings off (about a week after I went home from hospital).
5.What about scars?
By 6 weeks out I was left with neat pink lines. They are still getting better though.
6.I have no idea what happens with the anaesthetist. Do they contact you before and when do they get paid??
Good question... I didn't see him until I was being prepped for surgery and I still haven't gotten a bill (although it is supposed to be posted to you after surgery). I didn't sign a financial consent form either... I don't even know who my anaesthetist was so I can't contact them. I am chasing it up with Costa when I see him next.
Operation on Monday evening, home on Thursday afternoon.
Yes. You can request one but the hospital can't guarantee it. All 4 of us who were sleeved on the 31st got private rooms.
9.Did you take a laptop in with you, and if so did the wireless broadband work OK?
Yes and yes. Don't expect to play World of Warcraft or anything, but it worked great to browse and chat to DH over Skype. Honestly, I am a computer addict and I wasn't well enough to get the laptop out until Wednesday night and that was to say goodnight to my kids because they couldn't get to the hospital to see me.
I wasn't. They DON'T give it to you in hospital (you'll get sustagen, but only if you order it on your menu). I threw all of mine out after taking 2 sips when I got home. I bought sustagen instead.
11.What was the first "real food" you ate and how long after surgery?
My first 'real food' was the broth from takeaway noodle soup 2 weeks after surgery... it was the first "real taste" I had afterwards. But the first SOLID food I ate was cruskits while I was on the puree stage. I'm not very good at sticking to the recommendations but I always chew well.
I don't work. I have 4 boys though... I could do light stuff about 3 weeks out, most household jobs at 4 weeks and by 6 weeks I was back in the swing of things.
13.Finally, where are you all up to with foods now. And has anyone had a wine?? Beer??
I can now eat anything I want including bread. I have had some issues with fried food (no throwing up or getting stuck or anything, it's just the fat doesn't sit well and made me feel yuck). I don't drink alcohol but anything with bubbles will take a bit longer to learn to tolerate. There isn't a lot of room for bubbles. I have had coke but need to let it get semi-flat first.
Back to top Go down
baygirl
baygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyWed 14 Jul 2010, 2:08 pm

Hi again to Costa's girls.
I am battling on with the opti and starting to think about surgery. The questions are starting in my head so anyone that can help..here goes.
3.Were they stitched?
5.What about scars?
11.What was the first "real food" you ate and how long after surgery.
That's enough for now. Maybe now I've written them down I might just get some sleep tonight. I know this opti should be getting easier, but on day 9 my tummy is still rumbling and I'm dreaming of burgers and fries.
Thanks in advance
Baygirl

Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptySat 10 Jul 2010, 4:25 am

Hi Baygirl - and welcome.
You are in good hands with Costa.
Stay strong with the opti - it does help... even if it's just a nice boost to that weight that is never coming back.
I look forward to seeing how you go :)
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptySat 10 Jul 2010, 12:48 am

Hi Baygirl, how exciting! Opti will be just a distant memory soon. Are you having stir fry veges? They were a saviour for me with a bit of so. Also Opti mixed with jelly makes a nice pudding too, just to mix it up a bit. All the best for your surgery and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Look at you sneaking in Alter, 23kg! You go, you skinny minnie!
Back to top Go down
alter ego
alter ego

Female
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 09 Jul 2010, 11:59 pm

Welcome Baygirl, we look forward to hearing your story, mine has been very good thus far, although weight loss has slowed, was operated on 17/03/2010 and have lost 23kgs, the other ladies are aslo doing very well,

Lots of Hugs and a great big welcome to the forum and Dr Costa's beautiful ladies ( no men have come out of the woodwork yet)

baygirl
baygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 09 Jul 2010, 3:02 pm

Hi to all the Newcastle girls. I am booked in with Costa for surgery on 21 July and looking to see if anyone else is going to be in at the same time. I have really enjoyed reading all the stories from the May batch of Costa's patients and excited by all your results so far. Not too long and I will be on the other side and moving my ticker along too. Just got to keep up the Opti Starve in the meantime while every cell in my body is screaming for carbs.
Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 68366
Cheers
Baygirl
Back to top Go down
Flo

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptySun 09 May 2010, 12:22 am

Hi Eternlslady thank ,fingers crossed that you might get done on the 31st may .Flo
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 8:36 pm

Eternlslady wrote:
Yay Flo!
Sounds like Costa is really trying to fill his day on the 31st. I hope he left room for me!

Congratulations on getting your date!

I hope he did too. Fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 1:42 pm

Yay Flo!
Sounds like Costa is really trying to fill his day on the 31st. I hope he left room for me!

Congratulations on getting your date!
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 11:06 am

Not until Monday the 17th. They have a weird system there, lol.
Back to top Go down
Flo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 11:04 am

Hi all,thanks Georgie,cant wait .I will have to start organising myself (more getting things organised for the hubby) 31st of May is not far away, but for sure it will drag out.
Sandra I see the Dietitian next Wednesday the 12th when do you go? Flo
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 5:15 am

Woo Hooo!! Yay Debbie! Awesome, can't wait. When's your dietitian appointment? Awesome, now for Eternal to get in and we can have shindig.
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 4:58 am

That's so exciting Flo! Sandra will be wrapt that she has a sleeve buddy that she knows!

Not long to wait now either! Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 446871
Back to top Go down
Flo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 4:48 am

Hi Im finally really one of the group ,been to see Dr Costa Will be having my WLS on 31st May.
He was in an extra good mood today asked when I would like to have it I said tomorrow would be good. he rang threw to the desk and the girls said 31st may .He said looks like its all sleeves that day. So its you me and someone else Sandra.I cant wait
Flo Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 542174 Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 65317 Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 63412
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 4:36 am

You only need Hospital, the other stuff is covered by Medicare. Unless you want dental, optical etc then go top but you don't need to for the sleeve. Oh but the Dietician I claim on my PHI but it's only $30 rebate a pop, not really worth the cost of the extras. I'm with HCF. I emailed them with the item number 30511 and they replied that they cover 100% of my theatre costs and the staples but I have to pay an excess of $250. Try reading this section of the forum http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/about-paying-for-your-surgery-c5/ and compare funds. I don't know whether one is better than the other, I'd go for cheaper monthly payments but I'm a tight-arse, lol.
Back to top Go down
correva

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 4:03 am

Thanks for the reply Sandra. Looks like I will be needing to join a health fund. Is there a particular one that would be best? I was looking at Medibank Private top fund (may as well go all the way), but I could not see where they mention bariatric surgery.
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 2:09 am

Hi correva, welcome to the forums.

Dr Costa does bands, sleeves and bypass, Dr Gani does bands and bypass so it's Dr Costa you're after. I'm pretty sure he doesn't accept self funded patients either but wouldn't hurt to ask. Dr Costa's seminar is much better than Dr Gani, I went to both and Dr Gani skims over the sleeve whereas Dr Costa discusses it more. You could ask him at the seminar about being self funding.

I think they don't allow self funded patients because if there are any problems at $800 per day you could be in hospital for months with a worst case scenario and would cost a fortune. There are a lot of people on the forums that got basic hospital cover (around $40 per month) and waited out the year and did all the other stuff (psych, bloods etc) while they waited or you could try a Sydney surgeon. Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted to hear.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!   Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area! - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dr Costa Karihaloo - newcastle area!
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next