18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DaisyMay

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Newbie here. Hello! Empty
PostSubject: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 11:32 pm

Hello Nastygirl,

I'm now six weeks post op and really haven't thought about the procedure being reversible. I couldn't entertain the thought of going back. However, I have been hungry and I also have felt very full.

It is only the past two days that I realise how little I now eat compared to others. In work we have had buffet lunches and my colleagues have eaten mountains compared to me. It felt good to know the limit. I can now walk comfortably and wear my clothes without breathing in until it hurts. I don't know whether its the passing of the shame of overeating but I feel much more confident. I'm so greatful!!!

Take care of yourself ....approach the op with the knowledge that for us sleevers there is a new beginning.

Daisymay.
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 8:32 pm

Hi Nasty Girl

Like Allie I cannot believe how full I feel and want to finish the plate!!! I too have had the full feeling and I am on a steep learning curve. I am 5 weeks out tomorrow and am still happy I got the op done. This is a whole new beginning - a good one!
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptySat 29 Aug 2009, 9:51 am

Hi Nasty Girl

I also have comments about the surgery not being reversible and will i miss eating lots of food and adapted teh same response as you.
I will be 4 weeks post surgery on Tuesday and my biggest challenge is getting my head around not being able to eat very much.

As for the missing out on the full feeling where you want to lie down - well I have had that feeling about 3 times since surgery except now its after eating a very small amount. It is very easy to get to that level if you eat too quick.

I was so scared but no regrets.
Back to top Go down
nastygirl
nastygirl

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-08-07

PostSubject: Getting closer   Newbie here. Hello! EmptySat 29 Aug 2009, 7:31 am

Hi guys and gals,

I have my surgery scheduled for the 14th sept, I am extremly scared and this forum makes me very excited about the future. I have had concerns with people asking me if I am worried as it is not reversible, but like many of you I'm sure I can't see why I would want it to be reversible as that is why I am the way I am today my many diets I have done before Clearly are reversible and hence the weight comes back with a vengence. People also ask about it bothering me as I can't stuff myself when you have those moments and want to over induldge, but I don't think it will bother me as long as I can still eat a little of everything when I want to I don't really think I will be missing out on anything. Especially not that huge full feeling when you just want to lie down and can't get comfortable or want to undo your pants in a restaurant but you can't. LOL
Anyway I haven't really posted much on here but I do read this daily which is what makes it easier for me to want to walk through those theatre doors on the 14th sept.
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptySun 23 Aug 2009, 2:27 am

I've read on here several times about the only 'regret' (if thats what you want to call it) is that you can't ever enjoy a big meal again but hey.......isn't that why we are all overweight? Personnaly I know that I won't stop until the plate is clean.

I will need to remember that once i'm sleeved as i'm sure I will suffer.

A friend of mine asked if I would miss having a big Christmas lunch? I'm sure I will, but if I have a mouth full of everything i'm sure i'll be fine.

My mantra will have to be "I can't eat big meals anymore coz I don't want to be big anymore"
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptySat 22 Aug 2009, 5:29 pm

Congratulations on joining the loosers bench. Don't worry about the burping it will subside.

Tinacton - I did have a little cry to myself cos it is a big change to your life and I mourned the loss of being able to stuff my face ever again! I am only 3 weeks out but wouldn't change a thing and I am bloody determined to stay positive as the pluses more than outweigh the minuses.

I too had no real pain - just a feeling like I had been kicked by a horse LOL but manageable.
Ask lots of questions and read lots of diaries.
Back to top Go down
Tinacton

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Newbie here hello   Newbie here. Hello! EmptySat 22 Aug 2009, 11:53 am

So glad you are feeling ok after your op,i am being sleeved on Octber 27th so its good to here from somebody who has just had it done. I am really dreading my op its not the actual precedure just the whole new changes you have to make after,i dont mean to sound so negative i am just scared.Good luck to you and please keep us all updated xx
Back to top Go down
jennyg

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptySat 22 Aug 2009, 10:46 am

It's just fabulous hearing all this positive feedback from the actual surgery.
One friend I talked to said she had a lot of post-op pain and then a lady at work that had hers recently said she had no pain. Oh please, let that be me.........
With the pre-op shakes diet, did you eat anything other than shakes. I'm a little sketchy on that part of the talk with the surgeon....xx
Back to top Go down
http://url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvYfAIU/]
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptySat 22 Aug 2009, 10:14 am

Good to hear everything went well. Like you I didn't have any pain just nausea for first 24 hours.

The burping after each little bite gets better. I still have it if I eat too quick but its minimal now.
Back to top Go down
invisiblenomore

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptySat 22 Aug 2009, 8:44 am

Thanks everyone! I am back out of the hospital and though I am feeling weak I am so happy and excited! I was scared to swallow anything initially but I am now taking small sips of fluids. With each sip you have to wait to burp which I am not used to and I wonder if it will eventually go away as I cannot imagine eating in front of people and having to burp for the rest of my life. I am taking it easy at the moment but will try and walk a little outside tomorrow.

For everyone who has not had the surgery yet just to let you know that I had no pain. I had no drains or catheters. So far no vomiting but I was nauseas whenever I sipped anything for the first 48 hours, but that has gone now. I have 5 keyholes in my tummy. There was a lady who drank 1L of water after the time she was told she needed to be nil by mouth and because of that she had terrible nausea and vomiting for the whole 2 days after surgery.

I am really happy. I am weak at the moment but very upbeat. I have been having home made soups that have been made by my hubby and strained which tastes better than the tinned soups. I have also been having fruit juices and chai teas and regular.
Back to top Go down
jennyg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyThu 20 Aug 2009, 12:02 pm

Hey ladies
Just wanted to pop my head in and say congratulations for your weight losses so far. I am just about to start my shakes and have surgery scheduled for 23.9.09.
I have found this site both informative and invaluable.......xxxx
Hello
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyThu 20 Aug 2009, 11:54 am

Welcome Sheree

Good luck for Tuesday - it will come round quick. Any questions just ask away.

xx
Back to top Go down
sheree

Female
Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyThu 20 Aug 2009, 10:28 am

Hey Invisiblenomore,
I'm a newbie too, I'm booked for my surgery in five days, (Tuesday 25th Aug), so excited. Hope yours has gone well and you're now on the road to your new life.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Piglet
Piglet

Female
Number of posts : 86

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyWed 19 Aug 2009, 5:50 pm

Good luck today. Newbie here. Hello! 542174
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyWed 19 Aug 2009, 12:47 pm

Good luck with tomorrow you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyWed 19 Aug 2009, 10:29 am

OMG invisiblenomore not long to go now. It is an omen that your appointment came through the day before your birthday (that if you believe in that stuff, I do).
My surgery day was my younger brother's birthday (he had died the year before) so my sis-in-law said he would be with me in the operating theatre watching over me.
Everthing went according to plan and I was on my feet and recovering quicker than they had ever seen anyone recover, so something worked!

Good Luck and see you on the 'loosers' bench.

xx
Back to top Go down
invisiblenomore

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyWed 19 Aug 2009, 10:17 am

Hi everyone. I am having my surgery today. I feel a bit numb but not quite. I do feel a little sad and scared at the same time. I do not know why- as if I am in mourning. I feel like I am about to start a new chapter in my life. Tomorrow is my birthday and this is my birthday present to me. I was hoping to get a surgery date for September but was lucky to get one this early and it so happened that it was the day before my birthday.

Last week I bought 5 books on obesity surgery to help me prepare for my new life. I am determined to ensure that this works. I have only told a few close people so far plus my immediate manager and all have been positive.

Thanks for all the kind words and information!
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptySat 08 Aug 2009, 3:19 am

the hair loss is whne you don't get enough protein hence why you need to paln your meals to ensur eyou get enough protein. My dietitan recommends half an opti for lunch. She has given me a number of high protein foods to eat.
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyFri 07 Aug 2009, 11:11 pm

Sorry folks didn't mean to scare you (though the first time I read it I scared myself). There is a thread on this subject, I think you should read it and try not to worry too much.

Honest didn't mean to scare anyone but if you ask your surgeon or dietician they will explain that a certain amount is inevitable.
Back to top Go down
jennyg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyFri 07 Aug 2009, 12:14 pm

I hear you Tazza. Am a little scared of the hair loss factor.
How and why does this happen and how do I prevent it????
Back to top Go down
Tazza
Tazza

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyFri 07 Aug 2009, 12:12 pm

I'm almost afraid to ask but... what's the hair loss factor?? Does the surgery (or simply losing weight) make you lose your hair? Does it happen to everyone? How bad is it? This is the first time I've heard of it and I'm 3 days away from surgery!
Back to top Go down
Moolie
Moolie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyFri 07 Aug 2009, 10:28 am

Jenny

I, like you, had Diet Coke as my main and often only drink and only form of caffeine so completely understand how you feel. I am no 8 days post op and can honestly say that you will be fine. I can even watch other people drink 'my' tins of DC in front of me and the only time I really think about it is when I am out and looking for something to drink other than water. I am manging fine without it. My focus is now on keeping hydrated (to keep all your bodily functions working lol) and get enough protein in to reduce the hair loss factor. I have resigned mysel.
Good luck
Back to top Go down
jennyg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyFri 07 Aug 2009, 8:29 am

Yeah, my caffeine addiction is pretty severe. Don't drink tea or coffee though so it's my only source of caffeine. I did the Tony Ferguson program a couple of years ago and had to stop the caffeine for that. I remember the headache for the first few days was terrible. Makes you wonder what it's doing to your body, hey? Have been told by a "sleeved" friend that it takes her all day to drink a 600ml bottle. Or she has it over ice so it goes a bit flat.
I think if it's the only thing I have to really watch then i'm going to be just fine.
Thanks for your reply.....xx
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyFri 07 Aug 2009, 7:42 am

Hi Jenny - I also used to be addicted to Diet Coke. Not that I had 2 litres a day - more like a 650 ml bottle. I had absolutely none after surgery until about the 3 month mark. I can drink it now, but only do so occasionally - and one small can lasts me for hours (you can't drink it fast).

The first couple of times I did have it, I did feel a little 'frothy'! Not a good feeling.

Just think how healthier you'll be - once the headaches from caffeine deprivation are gone.
Back to top Go down
jennyg

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! EmptyFri 07 Aug 2009, 7:34 am

Hi
My addiction is diet coke/coke zero too. It's the only thing I'm worried about giving up - stupid as that sounds. The surgeon was a little taken aback when I told him that I drink up to 2 litres a day. (now that's an addiction). The dietician told me of a lady that tried to drink a can just after her surgery and foamed from the mouth for over an hour. Wouldn't that be a little scary?
In the post op diet stage I am prepared for some headaches as my body struggles to cope without that level of caffeine.
I'm scheduled for surgery on 23.9.09 so still have a while to wait...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here. Hello!   Newbie here. Hello! Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie here. Hello!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next