Sponsor
tracey

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptySat 18 Apr 2009, 10:38 am

Deb, can i step in and just add a bit more to your post...ta

Mancans, any WLS is not a magic cure for obesity. yes, you still have to exercise (especially if you want to get rid of some of that excess skin). and yes, you do have to do that healthy eating thing. while i am a big fan of biggest loser, unfortuneately most of us don't have a full time personal trainer , a medic team, and the luxury to be completely removed from the rigors of life. while we can all learn life lessons from biggest loser that type of weight loss is unreachable in the real world for most of us, thus making the show so popular.

if you take the time to read all about us you will find that our biggest hurdle is keeping the weight off, making the idea of an unreversable operation so good.

good luck with your choice
tracey
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptySat 18 Apr 2009, 10:07 am

Mancans, I don't know how to say this without sounding like a total bitch but the answers to ALL of your questions are here on this website. We are happy to answer your questions but there is at least some obligation on your part to have a look for yourself. There are threads on exercise, eating out etc. Have you even looked in them? There is a search function where you can type in key words to find the information you are seeking as well- eg lapband.
We are happy to welcome people, chat about ideas and help inform eachother but you have to do some work too- not expect everything handed to you on a plate.
I truly do wish you well in your journey and welcome all memers whether they be trying to lose weight naturally, with a band, with a bypass or a gastric sleeve but you need to make some effort too.
(I can feel a flaming coming on from my fellow members).
Back to top Go down
mancans

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-04-13

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptySat 18 Apr 2009, 8:50 am

I also wanted people's thought's on lap banding i think i would have a better chance at that anyhow through public, also cheaper. The reason i been thinking that is it's not permanent too, i can get to my desired weight , then try to keep it off. The though't of cutting me in 1/2 well tbo is a bit scary to say the least.. Anyone else feel that way?.. Newbie SA 697586 , If the lapbanding works ok for me psychologically too , then i might consider GS. How do you guys cope with the psychological part of this process?.. moods etc?, also how do you find eating out restaurants catering for smaller portions, oh another Question too , i watch biggest looser i bet alot of you do too, they approach things with that overall, healthy eating thing, dealing with issues etc. is it still recommended to do exercise with the sleeve? all these Questions soz cheers MC
Back to top Go down
mancans

Male

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyFri 17 Apr 2009, 8:53 am

[quote="janey261"]Hi Mancans and welcome aboard. Love the name BTW.
I can't help you at all with any info just wanted to say hello and good luck in your quest. It will be worth it.

Cheers,[/quote

Thanks Janey i did get email back today saying take out private health from ermmmm Dr leong i think so no go there Newbie SA 725676
Back to top Go down
mancans

Male

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyFri 17 Apr 2009, 8:52 am

*Lib* wrote:
Hey Mancans I totally get where you are coming from about people saying that. My husband is stick thin, and thinks its only a case of stopping eating. I am a compulsive eater, so usually when he pisses me off I eat Crazy He just doesn't get it! Skinny people never do!

Newbie SA 595690 Lib always the way huh?
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyTue 14 Apr 2009, 6:44 am

Hey Mancans I totally get where you are coming from about people saying that. My husband is stick thin, and thinks its only a case of stopping eating. I am a compulsive eater, so usually when he pisses me off I eat Crazy He just doesn't get it! Skinny people never do!
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyTue 14 Apr 2009, 4:47 am

Hi Mancans and welcome aboard. Love the name BTW.
I can't help you at all with any info just wanted to say hello and good luck in your quest. It will be worth it.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
mancans

Male

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyTue 14 Apr 2009, 3:17 am

hi guys thanks for the replies, well i dont have private cover no or super I am a student, i shot an email of to Dr Leong so i will wait and see, the Dr at Ashford is who did my friends surgery, I'ts a pity he doesn't do public no more. Well if i hear anything i am sure to let you know. Newbie SA 697586 Till then i will keep on Newbie SA 369315 My best a kilo is a kilo right?... i will browse through the forums so far it all seems very positive, went to target this morning brought a jacket oh no 6XL how depressing i remember i used to be XL!!!!! damn not alot of choice in Mr Big.....oh i forgot does anyone ever get from people they know the old " STOP EATING" shoving food in comments that really bugs me sure i see there point "kinda" but the brain says different it's like a magnetic force straight to the food......... thanks MC Newbie SA 89269
Back to top Go down
Mez

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyMon 13 Apr 2009, 10:31 pm

Hi mancans

Welcome to the forum.

Dr France use to have a public hospital list at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, but has since then resigned from the public system and only works privately now.

Dr Paul Leong, Dr Philip Game and apparently Dr Lilian Kow (Flinders) are three other surgeons that perform the gastric sleeve. Dr Philip Game works at the Royal Adelaide and sees patients publicly I believe so maybe check them out and see how you go.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and remember if you have any questions, remember to ask away!!!
Back to top Go down
sunland
Sponsor
sunland

Male
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyMon 13 Apr 2009, 8:23 pm

Hi Mancans,

I was one of those who were 120kg when I was 40 and at 59 I got to 160kg.. Don't leave it till you get too old, they are wasted years.

I agree with you regarding public funding, I was not diabetic however I have stopped taking BP & cholesterol medication since surgery at a saving of about $1500 a year on the public purse..I take it you don't have private health insurance, the only solution for you probably is to take out PI and wait your 12 months, you can join as a single (even if you are married) and that will cost less than $1000 OR access some of your super...Read about how to do it in one of the topics here..

You must remember surgery is only a tool for weightloss, everyone can loose weight by normal means BUT 99% can't keep it off.....Surgery should make sure you keep it off..

Best of luck in your decision making, read....... read through all the topics, especially the diaries and you will see what can be achieved..

Cya

Greg
Back to top Go down
lucy i
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyMon 13 Apr 2009, 4:32 pm

Hi Mancans,

I don't think anyone does the gastric sleeve in Adelaide publicly. As far as I know there is only 2 surgeons that proform the gastric sleeve full stop. One is Dr France, who is at Ashford, and the other is Dr P leong, who is in Tynte st North Adelaide. Everyone on this site that I know of from adelaide has gone through Dr France - that's not to say anything about Dr Leong - I just don't know anyone that has seen him. All that I could suggest is google Dr's names for Adelaide, and then ring around.
I would love to hear how you went.

Good Luck

Lucy i
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyMon 13 Apr 2009, 4:19 pm

Hi And Welcome MC

I had my sleeve done in the public system here in Perth but i dont know about SA ive been told its on hold here at the moment cause of cutbacks. But you could ring your major public hospitals and ask or your gp might know good luck hope you get some help

Cheer Sue Newbie SA 63412
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyMon 13 Apr 2009, 3:31 pm

Sorry I cant help you either, Im another Perthie.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope that someone will be able to help you out with the information that you need :-)
Back to top Go down
mancans

Male

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyMon 13 Apr 2009, 2:10 pm

Deb wrote:
Not sure about surgeons and the public health system in South Australia sorry MC, but welcome to the forum anyway.

Thanks Deb Newbie SA 65317
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyMon 13 Apr 2009, 2:09 pm

Not sure about surgeons and the public health system in South Australia sorry MC, but welcome to the forum anyway.
Back to top Go down
mancans

Male

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Newbie SA   Newbie SA EmptyMon 13 Apr 2009, 1:49 pm

Hi all, im new here and looking into GS, I am 40 male 6ft1 about, and weight 123kilos Newbie SA 697586 A friend of mine had it done and hasn't had any major drama's yet. I have tried the shakes drinks, treadmill etc..... I also have a bit of a bad back too, as well restricts me to exercise a bit however i did try on the treadmill, i don't want to get to 160kilos before i do something, everything i do doesnt work i just keep well eating Newbie SA 878453 ... Does anyone know who does it on the public list? I'ts crazy this isnt offered on the PBS, i mean if i was to come down with diabetes it would cost more, anyhow no convincing you guys i would imagine. Thanks and i hope to hear if there is any one that does it under medicare regards MC
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newbie SA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie SA   Newbie SA Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie SA
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: