AuthorMessage
Jigglypuff
Part of the furniture
Jigglypuff

Female
Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Newbie here needs advice please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie here needs advice please   Newbie here needs advice please EmptyThu 02 Dec 2010, 3:33 am

Welcome belladingo!

I have had a band and a sleeve and in short.....the Sleeve is everything the band isn't. I would never recommend anyone get a band, I know it works for a moderate amount of people, but long term you will need a follow up surgery, they aren't for life. Life for me with the band (5yrs) was spent throwing up, not being able to eat healthy food like steamed fish and salad...forget it.

I have only recently been sleeved and know I have made the right choice. I don't have to worry about slippage, erosion or constant vomiting from things getting stuck in the 'plug hole'.

I went to Mr Alan Thomas also, he is a very experienced surgeon and I can't say enough good things about him...he has changed my life for the better.

Find out everything you can about the surgeries and make an informed choice.........Good luck with your decision.

Jiggly

Newbie here needs advice please 120705
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here needs advice please   Newbie here needs advice please EmptyWed 01 Dec 2010, 6:48 am

I had my sleeve done 14 months ago and love it. Two of my girlfriends just got done as well by Dr Alan Thomas. He's great. I had to travel to Perth for the op and they let me stay as long as I wanted.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here needs advice please   Newbie here needs advice please EmptyWed 01 Dec 2010, 3:43 am

Hi BellaDingo and welcome,

I had my sleeve op in February this year and am very happy that I went this way, rather than the band which I initially enquired about. Having said that, I know that there are many people who are happy with their lapbands. As the other ladies have said, your best bet is to make an appointment with a surgeon, preferably one who does a variety of surgerys, who can give you unbiased advice about what surgery will best suit YOU. They will take your own circumstances, how much weight you have to lose, and your eating patterns into account.

Have a good read around the site, there is a lot of great information here to help you and by using the "Search" tab at the top of the page you should be able to find answers to most of your questions. Here are some links to get you started: The Diaries are a great read, along with Pre-op & Post-op sections which should be helpful too. And in the Band to Sleeve section you will find members who have also had bands in the past but now hav or are going to have sleeve ops.

Please also have a read of the Welcome to Newbies section too, it will give you an idea of how the site works and if you want to put a ticker in your signature, the instructions are there.

If you still have questions, ask away, there are lots of lovely people here who will do their best to help.

Cheers – Carrie
Back to top Go down
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here needs advice please   Newbie here needs advice please EmptyWed 01 Dec 2010, 3:20 am

Hey,

I've had both. The band and the sleeve. Only a week out from getting the sleeve. I wish I'd gone straight for the sleeve instead. The band was trouble. Too much can go wrong.

I agree also about Dr Jon Armstrong. I love that man. He is brilliant. Just book a consult with him and see :)
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here needs advice please   Newbie here needs advice please EmptyWed 01 Dec 2010, 2:11 am

dont be scared.... but it is a natural feeling anyway... you will love the sleeve and I highly recommend Jon Armstrong... he is the most fabulous surgeon!
Have a good read on here and you will find all the info you need!
Back to top Go down
belladingo
belladingo

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-12-01

PostSubject: Newbie here needs advice please   Newbie here needs advice please EmptyWed 01 Dec 2010, 1:36 am

Hi there my name is Trish and I am a newbie here just joined today. I have like everyone else tried every diet under the sun some successful some not I always seem to put the weight back on and just cant seem to find the motivation or willpower to stick at any of them long enough. I get starving hungry and then think stuff it and eat whatever I want only to break the whole diet cycle and this just continues to go around and around in a viscious circle. I had been considering lapband but have now come across this gastric sleeve and am just wanting some info on what others think is the better option. I am scared shitless (sorry bout the language) about dying on the table or something and want to make sure i find the right surgeon. I live in Bunbury so was wandering if anyone recommended a surgeon this way at all or I would be happy to travel up to Perth if that was a better option. Anyways I look forward to your answers. Cheers Newbie here needs advice please 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here needs advice please   Newbie here needs advice please Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie here needs advice please
Page 1 of 1