Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MollysMummy
MollysMummy

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Protein Powder - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Protien powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyTue 13 Oct 2009, 11:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Can you get a tasteless protien powder? I went to our local health food shop and they were all chocolate or vanilla flavour to be made as shakes. The sales girl had no idea. I want something that can be added to just about anything (soups etc). Any ideas???
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 10:54 am

LOL. Yep, clear as mud. Thanks for all the responses
Back to top Go down
http://gastricsleevesandy.blogspot.com/
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 10:36 am

Hey Sandra - Got it all sorted now then...? Protein Powder - Page 2 89269
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 10:13 am

Thank you Jonathan,

Once again you are a wealth of useful information. Unfortunately I have one and a half huge jars of the "ion-exchange" protein. So I'm stuck with that for now.

I looked up the powder that Dark recommended and it is a "cross flow microfiltration" type so I'll definately be getting that one next!

Gawd this whole protein thing is driving me even nuttier than normal.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 8:04 am

Ill add a few points here,

I personally dont like Ion exchange protein, according to the nutritional information it has the highest percentage of proteins of all the powders (up to 99% in some cases). however a lot of the good parts are lost in the process, and some brands end up having quite a lot of chemical residue in them from the extraction process.
Here is an exerpt from a protein forum

Ion Exchange
It yields the highest protein levels of any whey processing method (on a gram-for-gram basis), but don't be fooled. Ion-exchange isolates, like many concentrates, have sacrificed biological activity for quantity.

Ion-exchange isolates are made by running concentrates through what is called an ion exchange column, which separates proteins based on their electrical charge. During this process, many valuable and health-promoting components of whey are selectively depleted or completely lost. One of these is glycomacropeptide, or GMP. In its place, ion-exchange isolates give you an increased concentration of the protein subfraction beta-Lactoglobulin (beta-Lac) - known as whey's least interesting and most allergenic subfraction.

Cross-Flow Microfiltration
In direct contrast to ion exchange, cross-flow microfiltration produces the highest level of undenatured protein available among WPIs. It's a delicate process which comes quite close to the protein concentration levels of ion exchange, while keeping the valuable "extras" that ion exchange discards.

Instead of using destructive chemicals, cross-flow microfiltration uses filters to separate protein from undesirable fat, cholesterol and lactose, based on molecular size and shape.(18) The low-temperature process isolates the native protein of whey at its biologically natural pH, carefully preserving its biological activity. GMPs and other immune-boosting components remain in tact.

Whereas ion exchange keeps only some of whey's biologically active components, cross-flow microfiltration sustains a more complete protein profile-one of optimal balance, as found naturally in whey. There are virtually no denatured proteins, a superior amino acid profile, more calcium and less sodium. WPIs derived from cross-flow microfiltration are widely advocated as the very best source of whey protein.

This is why i prefer mircrofiltration protein as it is basically the same protein that is in whole foods. My local bulk foods store sells microfiltration WPI for $45 per kg, I just scoop as much as i need into plastic bags like at the fruit and veg shops and transfer them to my jars at home. It is a neutral flavour, so basically tastes like skim milk powder. I am yet to find a protein powder that is truly tasteless, and i would imagine any that are, would be quite artificial in a lot of their components. Some people are quite happy to add WPI to juices, it gives them more of a milk smoothie taste.

There is a reason it can be difficult to add protein powder to cooking, such as a boiling soup, protein denatures when it cooks, (the strands of the molecules change form) and some of the completeness of the protein is lost (it is still mostly usable by your body). when cooked it clumps horribly, its like when egg white or the blood from a piece of meat hits a hot pan and it immediately congeals, thats the proteins denaturing. I tried adding WPI to porridge before i cooked it, to increase its protein content, but all it did was make these horrible protein lumps in the porridge, i found it was better to cook the porridge first and let it cool a little and then stir in the protein. If you are still having trouble, it can help to mix the protein with some milk or other cold liquid you are using for a dish and dissolve it before adding it to the dish, that way it will form less lumps as it denatures. Mixing with water is also fine. If you are having problems finding ways to incorporate protein powder into your cooking, you may just have to be having extra protein shakes in between your meals, although make sure these are carb concious shakes, as you dont need to add extra calories in between meals. I just mix my wpi with skim milk and diet chocolate icecream topping (sugar free) and a few ice cubes and in my bullet blender to make a quick protein smoothie. they are great for morning or afternoon tea because they feel like a meal without bad carbs, and i then eat normal foods for my meals of the day.

If you spent big dollars on Ion Echange WPI, dont fret, its still a great protein, there are just better protein choices (in my opinion). Better to have ion exchange than none at all. But maybe look for microfiltration options on your next purchase, i certainly wouldnt throw out $80 protein because there are better options out there.

Sorry for the long winded post again, but its hard to be short and sharp about this info
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 3:25 am

CarrieK wrote:
I have also had the following recommended but haven't tried them yet:
Pro10active (I am put off a bit by the higher calories but apparently it is tasteless),

Pro10active is not tasteless, sadly. Nasty, cloying dairy sweet undertone which I don't like (although others on the site do). Also, because it contains added vitamins, you need to watch your overall consumption of vitamin A if you're also taking multi-vitamins and/or Opti. Otherwise you can give yourself a toxic dose.

I got a New Zealand WPI online that's 'neutral' in flavor (which means kind of "skim milk powder flavor" -- but not sweet, at least). It was about $40 per kilo before postage.

www.myopure.com.au
http://www.myopure.com.au/mf-whey-protein-isolate-2.html

It mixes up OK in cold things, but don't try mixing it into boiling soup, however. You'd be better off with skim milk powder from the supermarket there.

Best,

Dark
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 2:10 am

Hi Sandy,

Whey Protein Isolate is apparently much better than Whey Protein Concentrate. Jonathan (kxy1983) posted some really good info about protein powder here:
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-post-op-page-f4/protein-vs-fiber-t2978.htm#66988

So far I have tried:
Beneprotein (good), NaturesWay-Soy (horrible), & Balance-Vanilla (good but sweet).
I have just bought some Balance-Unflavoured but not tried it yet.

I have also had the following recommended but haven't tried them yet:
Pro10active (I am put off a bit by the higher calories but apparently it is tasteless), & Body Science Protein shaping for women from Planet Max.

Ideally I want one that is tasteless and low calories so I'm hoping that the unflavoured Balance does the job. Unfortunately none of the protein powders are cheap, so even if I'm not keen on them, I still have to finish them off before I try another, LOL.

I thought that the fruit flavoured one that Keridwyn recommended sounded nice and did try to buy some but I was told it was only available in Australia for a limited time last summer. It is still shown on their website though so I might investigate further.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 1:16 am

The one I have is: Balance Muscle Technology - 100% Ion Exchange Protein - WPI. I chose it as it is unflavoured, so can add to soups & savoury foods. Also it contains only 0.2g carbs & 0.1g fat per serve, whilst providing 27.6g protein.

Downside is the cost. $80 (at least, you know what my memories like) for a 750g tub.

I find I need to mix it to a paste before adding, otherwise it can be lumpy. Also don't add to your food before zapping, for same reason.

I purchased mine from health food store when I was in Newcastle, didn't really have time to shop around, so there probably are others that are comparable & perhaps cheaper.
Just remember to check the carbs content!

Phew! That was a long answer to a simple question... sorry Protein Powder - Page 2 308167
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 1:10 am

Balance Summer protein or Balance WPI Tropical Fruit Punch (which is same thing). Tastes like orange raro. I love this stuff and any excuse to drink it. 100cal less than 1g carbs and 1g fat - perfect. Can even chill in fridge and drink later.
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 12:58 am

I've seen scatters of posts about the best proteins powders but I'm getting confused as there are so many. Can you tell which protein powder you use and if you like love or hate it? I'd like a tasteless one but not sure which is best. They are pretty expensive so would hate to buy the wrong one. Protein Powder - Page 2 697586
Back to top Go down
http://gastricsleevesandy.blogspot.com/
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyTue 09 Feb 2010, 10:33 am

I <3 my Pro 10 Active!!
Back to top Go down
OpusKV626
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyTue 09 Feb 2010, 1:23 am

I have found a great flavorless protein powder. It is called "natural" protein powder. I'll post the brand name when I get home. It is whey protein. There is also flavorless / natural egg white protein powder. It tastes like egg whites -- pretty flavorless -- but tends to make things slimy. Look for the keyword "natural" when shopping.
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptySun 07 Feb 2010, 5:53 am

Got it in Chemist Warehouse. OMG they got masses of stuff! I hardly ever normally go in there. Don't usually go to that shopping centre....
lol
Will be going more often tho
They have Target!
rofl
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptySun 07 Feb 2010, 4:18 am

WTG! Protein Powder - Page 2 217555 Look out for energy plus this week.

You did well to find it in the chemist locally. I had to buy it online, as no chemist near or the neighbouring town had it. Which reminds me, I must buy more, plus I hardly have any shakes left either! Need to shop!!
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptySun 07 Feb 2010, 3:32 am

Hey Jannette, found the Pro 10 Active stuff in the chemist today when the MOTH and I were trawling for "healthy things"!
Took my first lot, so we'll see if it makes a difference. That + Opti = more active me?
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 11:11 am

you're a legend Yools!!

ta!
Back to top Go down
snow1081
Part of the furniture
snow1081

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 10:35 am

Hi Raingold,

I purchased ISS research - Complete Whey Protein today at a health food store...
It's 24gram protein in one scoop and 2.5gram of Carb.
It tastes GREAT! I was kinda afraid when purchasing it... but ended up it tastes fantastic!! Having it at the moment... I purchased the Chocolate flavor :)
I will let you know how it goes...

XOX

Yools
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 9:31 pm

Thanks Gail. Went back and had a look.
Some interesting ideas there now.
:D
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 10:38 am

No you can't use protein powder like benefibre, it is high in milk based proteins.
You have to let hot food cool a little before adding, or it will curdle.

I was adding it to my porridge and soup in the puree stage, but found it tasted like I was adding powdered milk, hence I went back to just adding it to my shakes which are skim milk based anyway.

I use Pro10Active, its Australian made. I don't think it matters which one you use, they would all do the job.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 9:33 am

Hi Rainy,
I was reading this one earlier and they are sounding like they know what they are talking about

http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/general-chat-f9/food-help-needed-please-t2692.htm
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 8:26 am

Thanks Gail, but which protein powder? This is where I'm getting stuck. I presume you can add it like we do the benefibre stuff...
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 8:22 am

Hi Guys,
You can put the protein powder in pretty much anything so it doesn't have to be a shake.
I have read somewhere that it goes in pretty much anything but can't remember what thread it was and it was a while ago. I fried my memory years ago so you will have to go a hunting. LOL

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 8:11 am

I use Kate Morgan shakes with added Pro10Active (protein powder).

They have the same amount of protein as Optifast but taste alot better and come in about 12 different flavours.
Back to top Go down
snow1081
Part of the furniture
snow1081

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 6:48 am

Hi Rain,

I might give Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey protein a try. I will let you know how I go...
Probably is going to use it as replacement shake... maybe for lunch or dinner...

XOX

Yools
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 6:04 am

Yools, you looked at the same link huh?
Interesting, isn't it?
I've been trying to figure how to incorporate more protein into my mushy stage diet... looks like revisiting Optishakes is going to be it, but I'd be very interested in reading ideas on this!
RG
Back to top Go down
snow1081
Part of the furniture
snow1081

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 5:39 am

Oh I forgot to add,

Has anyone tried Premium Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein shake? It has 24gr protein in one serving!!
Usually body builders drink them to gain muscle instead of FAT. Do you think it's wise to give it a try? Since we want muscle and not fat?

XOX

Yools
Back to top Go down
snow1081
Part of the furniture
snow1081

Female

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Feb 2010, 5:19 am

I heart Biggest Loser's protein shake has the highest protein in them..
Anyone knows about this?

XOX

Yools
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Protein Powder
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next