AuthorMessage
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Not getting enough protein? Empty
PostSubject: protein powder   Not getting enough protein? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 7:57 am

Hi

Thanks to Lulumac from the forum I use a protein powder which is odourless and tasteless. I add it to just about everything I eat - it goes lumpy if added to hot food so I mix it in when the food is cold and then heat. I have even baked with it adding to home made museli type bar which I carry in my bag for emergencies. Unfortunately, I don't have the packet so can't tell you the name but if you contact Lulumac she might be able to help. I am almost positive it is soy based and I am fairly certain that Lu is also diary intolerant

G
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Not getting enough protein?   Not getting enough protein? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 7:17 am

yodacat

Hi Suzy Blue here, due to be sleeved March 20th. I have been doing some homework on Protein.

Went into a health shop yesterday and the loverly lady behind the counter was telling me that egg whites are the best food to acheive a higher intake of Protein.

I am going to buy some powdered 100% egg white to add to my protein drinks, soups, stews etc.

I dont know weather you will be able to use it, because of the Dairy factor

Starting to prepare foods for after Surgery, will use it were ever I can.

Please let me know what you find - will be very interested.

Suzy Blue
Back to top Go down
yodacat
yodacat

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Not getting enough protein?   Not getting enough protein? EmptyFri 24 Feb 2012, 6:51 am

I'm bumping this thread up as I need a little advice please and I have not been able to find an answer on the site to my question.

Since my sleeve I have become lactose intolerance (may have always been, but the extra dairy in opti triggered it in a big way). I am also having difficulty with particular foods (and keeping them down) and as a result, am not getting an adequate amount of protein each day (and my hair is starting to thin). Just the thought of protein shakes now makes my gut churn, even with Lactese to address lactose issue.

I have looked on the net for info on protein tablets to supplement my protein intake but there is limited information.

Has anyone used any good protein supplements in the form of a tablet that are not dairy based or been given any advice on the suitability of these types of supplements?

Thanks heaps.
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Not getting enough protein?   Not getting enough protein? EmptyThu 27 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

Crisalida, I have also been using BIOTIN supplements (recommended by a friend) as I didn't want to lose more hair - I'd alteady lost heaps in the months before surgery after being unwell and on iv antibiotics for 6 weeks. My hair has certainly now grown back thicker and stronger than it's been for years and I haven't had any more loss post surgery (touch wood). I Can't say why with certainty of course, maybe my extra protein? maybe the biotin? maybe both? Might be worth researching if worried about hair loss.
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Not getting enough protein?   Not getting enough protein? EmptyThu 27 Oct 2011, 3:20 pm

I've tried the orange protein drink - was my saving grace - could not tolerate the dairy based ones.

"Musashi P30 Protein Drink (Water Based) 500mL". 30g Protein, 0 carbs, 122cals. My dietician approved. Comes in strawberry as well, although I have not tried this - I was happy with the ORANGE. Good too freeze and crush and eat if you are wanting some protein with texture. Or to make into little icy poles. I sip sip sipped on a couple each day on fluids and 1 when on mushies - helped me keep my fluid and protein requirements each day.

They also have ones with carbs(blackcurrant flavor) 235 cals - if you need a wee boost whilst not eating. I haven't tried this one as I am diabetic but my more athletic better half loves them.

About $3.50 - $4.00 a bottle online, haven't been able to find them in regular stores.

Also tried whey "bullets" - like protein cordial concentrate smells horrible, didn't like the taste somewhat tolerable if diluted megaheaps with water and a dash of sugar free cordial(more chemicals though). Didn't reorder after I used up the bullets.

Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Not getting enough protein?   Not getting enough protein? EmptyWed 26 Oct 2011, 10:29 pm

There are non-dairy orange-flavoured protein drinks around. I don't know the name of them, but my dietician mentioned one and Jacko84 posted about one not so long ago I think. Hang in there! You won't be this restricted forever :)
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Not getting enough protein?   Not getting enough protein? EmptyWed 26 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm

Yep, definitely contact your dietician. In the meantime, whatever product you used for pre-op should help you through - even 1 shake a day will help.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Not getting enough protein?   Not getting enough protein? EmptyWed 26 Oct 2011, 5:23 pm

Because you are limited by some things that you can't have I would contact your dietician and discuss with him/her what would be the best protein supplement for you to take.
Back to top Go down
crisalida
crisalida

Female
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Not getting enough protein?   Not getting enough protein? EmptyWed 26 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

I am worried about my protein intake at the moment.

I am managing a few teaspoons when I eat a meal, but I am not able to eat more than those teaspoonfuls before I am full. I am worried about my protein intake, but the mere thought of taking anything remotely dairy as a supplement (whey protein etc) makes me want to be sick. I was looking at different protein powders, anyone have experience with rice protein? I don't think I will risk the pea protein and I know the egg protein would gross me out if it went slimey once liquid is added. I can't have soy or nuts.. so, any ideas for protein?

I am super happy so far with my sleeve, but I don't want to lose my hair in a few months time from lack of nutrition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not getting enough protein?   Not getting enough protein? Empty

Back to top Go down

Not getting enough protein?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: