Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 11:11 pm

I used Pro10Active in my shakes for breakfast for the first 4 months.
I eat enough now, so don't need to have added protein anymore.

I still have some left, so if I do have a shake I always add some, no sense of wasting it.
Back to top Go down
LFed.

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 2:06 pm

Thanks a lot for that.
I have tried musashi years ago before all of this and I didnt really like it.
The whey powder I got isnt a brand. Its just one from a health store. My mums friend owns a health store I might go there tomorrow and get some advice.
Too many to choose from hey!! I wish there was just 1 that was the best and to use that. I will see how I go using the one I got in my soup and shakes touch wood it works.
Thanks x
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 11:48 am

Hi LFed
I'm not doing the Pro10Active any more. Haven't done it for a long time.
I found when you start to read the nutrition labels on containers it really does get very confusing! And the calorie/kilojoule content varies quite a lot between brands. I've ended up with Musashi 92 Hybrid Slow Release protein powder. 30g is the amount. It's also chocolate flavour. [Why do they mostly go chocolate???] I also found Chemist Warehouse has been the cheapest place to buy it. I haven't tried online as I find the postage a bit prohibitive. Anyways, I mix it with half water and half proper milk! lol. We don't have skim milk in the house!! Tastes quite nice. I use it now to take my morning pill concoction. It's also quite filling!
Good luck with it all!
Back to top Go down
LFed.

Female

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 10:12 am

Thanks Applesauce.
Theres so much to think about!
this is so stressful!!!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 10:09 am

depending on WHAT type of protien powder you brought to how much you put in. As a rule 30grams . Some of the powders with fillers in need 40gra,s. When buying protien powder look for WPI that is usally the best with the highest level of protien per gram. If you intend using it often the best price can be found on eBay. Those that sell it on eBay tend to know what they are talking about. Be careful as some protien powders do not mix well in hot stuff.

If it all gets way way to confusing just grab sports edge protien powder from the supermarket it is a chocolate tasting one that tastes okay in skim milk as a milkshake. My son uses it and I tasted it and it is drinkable. But there are far better bargains out there to be had, I just know what it is like when you start out hunting down the protien stuff that some times the easy option just makes sense until you feel more confident.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
LFed.

Female

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptySat 19 Jun 2010, 9:40 am

I know this is an old post but I bought just a whey powder from one of the health stores. As usual the lady there actually had no idea what the hell is was or how to use it.
Just wondering how much you are actually suppose to put in? For example I want to put it in a cup of soup or even an optifast shake.
Thanks in advance! x
Back to top Go down
Manzie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 878
Registration date : 2010-05-23

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 31 May 2010, 9:51 am

Aha! Thanks kxy1983 for both tips!! Dissolving some in some hot water is a brilliant idea, and adding it towards the end should prevent curdling - v good thinking. And turned my signature on! Yahoo! Big thanks!! :)
Back to top Go down
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 31 May 2010, 9:43 am

if you are going to add it to cooking, try adding it as close to the end as possible, and even dissolve it in a small amount of water first if you can, so it doesnt just cook into chewy protein lumps. and there is a setting in your profile where you check to always attach signature to posts
Back to top Go down
Manzie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 878
Registration date : 2010-05-23

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Aussie Bodies' 'Perfect Protein'   Protein Powder EmptyMon 31 May 2010, 9:11 am

Hi all,

Today I bought the Aussie Bodies' 'Perfect Protein' as it is meant to be the natural one and unflavoured. Of course it's in a HUGE tub (750g) and was quite pricey at $58.20. It's not unflavoured! It's not sweet, but has a bland flourey taste. I'll try using it in cooking tonight - but I can't see myself putting it in shakes.

I also bought an iron booster 'tonic' from the same health food shop - and it has really helped with the lack of energy with only one dose.

Also - silly question - I've set my signature, but it's not attaching to my posts (I've copied and pasted it to this post..hopefully it doesn't appear twice!) Does anyone know how I can fix it? Thanks!!

Cheers,
Manzie
Day of surgery weight: 113kgs
Current weight: 108.3kgs
Weeks since surgery: Almost 2 down! :)
Surgeon: The wonderful Dr Michael Talbot, St George Private Hospital
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 12:43 pm

thanks mapar a total blond moment for me not to think of ebay :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 12:27 pm

what about here....depends on how much you want to buy...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5kg-Whey-Protein-Isolate-Powder-WPI-UNFLAVOURED-/320486365049

http://professionalwhey.com.au/whey_protein_isolate.html?gclid=CN-D-f-a8qECFRFLbwodLgt-mw
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 12:15 pm

Has anybody found WPI cheaper than this place...................

http://professionalwhey.com.au/products/protein-powder/wpi-whey-protein-isolate.html

or the Leucine cheaper this is a fith of the price of the other brand I found

http://professionalwhey.com.au/products/bodybuilding-supplements-performance-enhancers/l-leucine.html

just doing a price check before ordering.

and yeap I need both the WPI is for the son not me so I dont get my Leucine that way and am doing opti at the moment and dont want to burn muscle.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
DancingOnTheInside
Part of the furniture
DancingOnTheInside

Female
Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2010-04-03

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 17 May 2010, 10:05 pm

The only one I've been able to get locally (with all the desirables ie WPI low/zero carb/sugar, cross-flow microfltration) is Vital Strength WPI+. I bought vanilla but also available in chocolate (isn't everything!)

It's a bit pricey but tastes really nice and I can see myself enjoying it as part of my post-op plan. I've weighed the price up against loss of muscle and all other associated problems and, for me, what I spent on it will be nowhere near the cost of food for a week. And whilst it's pricey locally, due to lack of competition, I've now found it online for 2/3 price with free delivery.

x
Doti
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture
Keridwyn

Female
Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-05-03

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 17 May 2010, 10:03 pm

So glad you liked it :D
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 17 May 2010, 9:52 pm

so carrie share......where do u get it?? sounds good..
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 17 May 2010, 5:41 am

Keridwyn wrote:
Balance Summer protein or Balance WPI Tropical Fruit Punch (which is same thing). Tastes like orange raro. I love this stuff and any excuse to drink it. 100cal less than 1g carbs and 1g fat - perfect. Can even chill in fridge and drink later.

Hi Keridwyn,

I managed to track this down last week. Thank you!!! it's delicious. I'll keep using the vanilla one with skim milk on cereal too for now, but I really like this. It's my current favourite :-)

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-02-15

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 10 May 2010, 2:35 am

Thanks kxy1983, actually the carbs and fat a much higher on it so it's out. Thanks for the advice, I'll be off to the shops instead of looking online so I can read some labels
Back to top Go down
http://gastricsleevesandy.blogspot.com/
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 10 May 2010, 2:09 am

sandy, Im a bit dubious about that product, it seems to be whey protein concentrate (no where near as good as whey protein isolate) with added Hydrolised wpi, Im sure this product would be fine and would be a good protein source, but not the best out there. The product you are looking for is simply WPI. If you are sticking to a budget, for $30 that mega whey is probably fine. I pay $45/kg for my wpi and the brand name ones are $55 and up per kg. I also note the one on that site appears to be tropical flavour, which sounds like you might not be able to mix it to a lot of things because of conflicting flavours.

If your getting confused about the millions of protein choices, You could try calling local health food, or bulk food stores in your area, and ask them if they have a whey protein isolate product that doesn't cost the earth. You can also ask if they get sample doses of any of these products, so you can maybe try a few to see if theres any you prefer. Tell the salesperson what you need, that you need a product that you can add to a variety of foods or drinks to increase your protein intake, because you cant eat massive meals, low or zero carbs and sugar, neutral flavour is prefered, and your trying to keep cost down as best possible. Stay away from stores with bodybuilder salespeople (ie bodybuilding supply shops) those sales people will usually just steer you towards an expensive brand name product, without much thought about what your specific needs are.

The beauty of a bulk food store is there is no minimum quantities, so you can buy a few tablespoons worth and try it at home before committing to buy a kg or so.
I understand that in some regional areas, your choices are limited, I am just lucky that where i live on the gold coast, within 100m walk of where i live i have 6 different Sports nutrition/bodybuilding supply stores, 3 health food stores and a bulk food store. The bulk food store is by far the cheapest, I also buy other foods such as soy crisps for snacks, herbs and spices by weight, different sorts of flours for cooking experiments (rice flour, almond flour).

At the end of the day, most of these products are a quite reasonable protein source, if they are based on whey (not soy or some other protein) you cant go too wrong. The point of this surgery is you have made a lifestyle change for a whole lifetime. you may not find the perfect product for you the first time, If you end up with a less than ideal product, use it til it runs out and try something different next time. I'm at the stage where i keep about 4 different products around, a pure WPI for adding to food, and some different flavored ones to make shakes, the pure wpi is neutral flavor, non branded from the bulk food store, the others are from my local "Ma and Pa run" health food store. My favorite brand for flavored protein drinks, which i use pre and post workout is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey,

http://www.supplementwarehouse.com.au/enlarged.aspx?id=9&cat_id=38&prod_id=241

This is actually a blend of many different sorts of proteins, and has some great flavors. Their chocolate flavor is pretty nice (i hate most shakes choc flavors), they also have rocky road and cookies n cream flavors. I use these shakes pre and post weight training for random shakes throughout the day, but i don't use them for adding to foods like porridge etc.
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 10 May 2010, 1:17 am

I out the pro 10 active in my coffee and cant tell, actually i put it on everything!!! Protein Powder 314562
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyMon 10 May 2010, 12:33 am

Would this https://www.cityhealth.com.au/onlineshop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=146&cat=Protein be similar to what you are talking about kxy1983? The Amino Nutrition Mega Whey 1kg ? It's all so confusing, I can't believe how many products are out there.
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 4:56 pm

Yeah... you're right. Sorry folks. Must be feeling more or less exposed around the arse... Better check the foundation garments in case they're letting in a breeze.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 12:49 pm

darkstar wrote:
I reckon that the official letters are legalistic arse-covering exercises. It's a way of making sure that you assume responsibility for the risks in a situation
darkstar wrote:
...Well... "recommended " might be a bit strong...
LOL Protein Powder 314562 Whose arse covering now??? Protein Powder 314562 LOL

Luvya xxx
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 12:35 pm

CarrieK wrote:
I looked up the powder that Dark recommended and it is a "cross flow microfiltration" type so I'll definately be getting that one next!

Well... "recommended " might be a bit strong. It's not offensive, but I wouldn't say it's a flavour riot.

It is, however, from New Zealand, while some of the competing products are from the US, so if you want to be retrospectively patriotic...

Good luck,

Dark
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 10:58 am

I agree about the Pro10Active, not tasteless, its like adding milk powder to your food.
But, its cheap, currently $12 for 525 gms on ePharmacy and is gluten free.

It's great to use in shakes, and thats what I mainly bought it for Protein Powder 314541

I have 2 containers of it that I am trying to use up, so I am adding a couple of teaspoons to my porridge of a morning, small amounts are ok.

I am going to experiment at the weekend with pumpkin soup, replacing the cream with Pro10Active ..........will see how it tastes Protein Powder 697586
Back to top Go down
sandy_lou
Part of the furniture
sandy_lou

Female

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 10:54 am

LOL. Yep, clear as mud. Thanks for all the responses
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Protein Powder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Powder   Protein Powder Empty

Back to top Go down

Protein Powder
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: