Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Any sleevers over 55? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyThu 27 Nov 2008, 7:58 am

Hello from another over 50. I am 53, three adult kids still at home plus and extra and no grandchildren. Its great to see such a range of ages. Everyone seems to get on so well that you don't notice any age gaps.
Back to top Go down
tin ribs

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: over 55   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyMon 17 Nov 2008, 11:30 pm

yes I am over 55.... I am 62! I have 12 grand children, nearly 3 great grand children, and plan to get down on the beach next summer with them.... now that I can run around.
I had surgery on the 28th of Oct have suffer some pain but at last it seems to be going or maybe I am getting used to it, lost over 2 stone already feels easier when I breath and can walk a lot further too, I am getting my life back at last!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptySat 01 Nov 2008, 6:40 am

Yeah, that's great, Suziq!
Back to top Go down
suziq1040

Female
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptySat 01 Nov 2008, 6:38 am

Hi everyone

I'm 59 and being sleeved December 8. Thank goodness I wasn't considered to be too old by my doctor....such a welcomed relief!!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyMon 27 Oct 2008, 8:43 pm

Well done, Annden.
What a great state of mind you're in!
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
Annden
Annden

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyMon 27 Oct 2008, 2:37 am

Hi
Im 60 in end of this November and had my sleeve done 2 weeks ago. I figured that to reach 80 or over as I want to do, my best option for a fit and energetic seniorhood was to ditch the weight. Lots of heart problems in my family and as I dont have any yet and I wanted to make sure that I wouldnt. Go seniors Go!!!! Any sleevers over 55? 89269
Back to top Go down
suze100

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyThu 23 Oct 2008, 8:34 am

Yes I had mine done 3 weeks ago at 61 yrs of age.....so far so good.
Back to top Go down
John Andrews

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyMon 15 Sep 2008, 10:42 am

oldfart wrote:
I was wondering if there was anyone who is over 55 that has had the sleeve op done. I don't mind saying I am 57 in November ........ :lol!:

I am very new had sleev surgery on 1st September 08. I am 60 years old and wished I'd done this years ago
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptySat 13 Sep 2008, 10:22 pm

Hi Jlweb55
I'm sorry to hear that you've gained a few pounds, but I bet it won't last. Unless you're on a diet of chocolate, anyway! LOL
I remember at about 5-6 weeks post-op my weight loss stalled for about 2 weeks, and I think it was when I started having more solid food, so my question is whether your weight gain happened when you were able to eat more, or eat more variety, or eat more solid foods? Or maybe you lost more than you should have, eg from losing too much fluid, and have now re-balanced? (I heard of someone who lost heaps due to not enough fluid, and when she started having enough fluid put it back on).
But I guess the main thing would be to talk to your doc quickly, and get it sorted out before it becomes a real problem - even if it's just to reassure yourself!
Best wishes, and let us know how you're going.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 7:58 pm

Hello in Magnolia, Texas- I am really sorry and concerned to learn that you have gained some weight back. Are you keeping a list of what you are eating? Also- most importantly are you keeping track of how much sodium you are consuming and how much walking you are doing? Maybe if you give us more details about what is going on someone here could suggest something that could help out. We are all here to support each other so let us in on the details and lets see what we can brainstorm together.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 4:48 pm

Shanna we cant move individual posts over. You need to start a new thread in the general area where you can chat about anything off topic.

jlweb55, I am sorry to hear you are not feeling very good about your surgery! Try to keep in mind that you are still recovering from a surgery, so you wont be moving around as usual, therefore, any exercise may be difficult which will slow weight loss in those first 5-6 weeks. I dont know of anyone that has gained weight, apart from gaining weight with fluid retention during surgery. But I do know that my body went on a major 'go slow' immediatley after surgery, and I did not lose any weight for about 8 weeks, and I thought that I had just stuffed up the whole surgery! I thought I had failed. I have lost about 18 kilos since my surgery, which is very good, but also, slow.
Please let me know how you are going, and remember if you need to chat, or vent, or complain, or whatever, you know where we all are.
Hugs,
Hayley
Back to top Go down
jlweb55

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyFri 12 Sep 2008, 1:49 am

Hi I had the gastric sleeve on 8/14 and i lost 7 lbs pre op and 21 lbs the two weeks after surgery. I am 4 weels post op today and I have been on regular food for two weeks. I have gained back 5 lbs. I am not very happy. I have talked to others that say this happens between 3 to 4 weeks or rather they say a stall , but I haven't heard from anyone who has gained. I am also 55 . thanks Jlweb55
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Oops   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyMon 04 Aug 2008, 1:46 pm

Sorry I started the thing old fart- still the Skype thing is sort of interesting so I was wondering if you were able to move the inappropriate posts over to general chat where nothing is ever considered off topic?
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

Male
Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyMon 04 Aug 2008, 12:48 pm

Newlife that is one very brave mother you have there eh! and don't forget to encourage her now will you ....... very gently and lovingly I might add. ...... and it's been along time since I could spring anywhere thats for sure........
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyMon 04 Aug 2008, 9:40 am

Back to topic.

I'm 46 (47 in November) but not a granny yet. My son is 22 and his girlfriend is 20 (he wants at least 4 kids, sooner rather than later). My mum had the lapband surgery at 69 (four years ago) without any complications post surgery. Although her weight loss has only been moderately successful. She had some other health problems non-banding related so had to have it loosened a few times to help with recovery and I think she lost a bit of motivation. She just recently had it tightened again so hopefully will lose some more.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptySun 03 Aug 2008, 8:29 am

You're right, oldfart - sorry!
Chris
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

Male
Number of posts : 212

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptySun 03 Aug 2008, 7:42 am

Sorry ladies, but you are moving off topic re Skype

Please try to PM this sort of non topic information as it wil reduce the scroll times for people using the forum at a later date Any sleevers over 55? 618285
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptySun 03 Aug 2008, 5:00 am

Hi Chris,

We were using skype here for a while too but without a webcam or microphone so we could see and hear who we were talking too but had to type in reply.

My son mainly uses it to talk to his friends next door.

steph
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptySat 02 Aug 2008, 9:54 pm

Hey, I was using Skype all the time until I had some problems with the computer, and we haven't set it up again yet. But we were using it for voice only, as we didn't have a webcam.
But last week I bought 2 webcams - one for us and one for my daughter in Adelaide. We'd have bought for the others too, but for one reason or another they don't use their computers much.
I've sent it down to her, but she hasn't received it yet. Hopefully we can figure out how to make it go, and be able to re-connect to Skype. And I am looking forward to our visit when the new baby, Ethan, comes!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Grandkids far away   Any sleevers over 55? EmptySat 02 Aug 2008, 10:32 am

Have you ever considered using a program called SKYPE-

It lets you see whoever you are talking to on the computer.

Great for seeing grandkids... and you still don't have to change their diapers

My daughter uses it all the time.

Actually, we could all also use it except that anonymity has its allures.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 10:26 pm

Well, everyone, we all know it's different from place to place, and from doctor to doctor, so I'm not surprised that there are age limits here and not elsewhere. And that doesn't mean the docs won't operate outside those limits, just that they want a bloody good reason - as if being obese isn't reason enough!
And thinking of so many grandkids would be exhausting to me, too, if I ever got to see them - but I live north of Sydney, and the kids are all in Melbourne and Adelaide, so we don't get to see them often, which is a shame.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 1:10 pm

I wouldn't stress about being 'too old' to be a good candidate. I think healing etc. differs heaps between people, regardless of age, so just because you're older doesn't mean you'll cope better/worse with the surgery. My mum is 51, had her surgery 2 weeks after me, and is progressing better than I am in terms of eating.
Also, if 40 is the new 30, then 30 is the new 20, and I'm practically an infant...
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Ignorance is bliss   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 12:13 pm

I had no idea that they only did bariatric surgery in Australia up to age 55- another thing to worry about.

Oh well, I will just have to get out the rocking chair.....

Now I am never gonna tell how old I am- the bariatric police might come get me!
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female

PostSubject: Upper age limit for bariatric surgery   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 12:05 pm

Any sleevers over 55? 427584 Any sleevers over 55? 427584 Any sleevers over 55? 427584

9 and 1/2 plus grandchildren- I am exhausted just thinking about it chrisbychic

Anyway- if you go on the surgically slim website for Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC they say there is no upper age limit for bariatric surgery. So even if you are old as meeeeeee..... and I am giving Methusaleh a run for his money........ you can still have surgery.

SO STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT OLD FART. YOU ARE GOING TO DO JUST FINE - YOU WILL JUST BE A

MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, THINNER FART!!
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 12:25 am

Okay, asnewme, you have to tell us now!
The preferred age for weight loss surgery over here is 18-55, and although they do go outside that range occasionally, it's not usual. So now you have to tell -how old are you?
I'm 51 - and I have 9 grandchildren, with another on the way. I was 17 when I was married (the first time) and had a daughter when I was 19. Yes, we were too young- but we didn't think so at the time! LOL The other 3 children and 6 grandchildren come from my second husband's prior marriage.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any sleevers over 55?   Any sleevers over 55? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any sleevers over 55?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next