AuthorMessage
Max
Part of the furniture
Max

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2009-03-19

Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyThu 08 Apr 2010, 11:51 am

Hi,

I don't want to lead anyone astray,

but I had my white tea, a little milk won;t hurt, but I did cut down my 5 cups a day to 1 and I did also have the occasional full milk cappaccino.

I believe if you stick to opti 95% of the time a little slip up here and there especially a little milk in tea won;t hurt. Well it didn;t me anyway. I stuck to opti 95 - 99% of time but chose carefully when I was going to break the rules.
I lost 6 kgs on the 2 weeks of opti, my sleeve was done so I guess I must have done ok.

Max
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyThu 08 Apr 2010, 2:23 am

JudyC wrote:
I have so much to gain from losing weight, not just feeling good, but being able to walk (hopefully without pain, my knees are bad) and wanting to, getting rid of my CPAP machine, not having to take blood pressure tablets, being able to buy decent clothes, being able to turn over in bed easily (who would have thought that was important), getting up out of low chairs, maybe even being able to sit on the ground again and know I can get up by myself, there is more, but I am sure some of you know what I mean. All sounds a bit trivial, but means a lot to me.

Hi Judy,

None of that sound trivial to me, it's all those little things that add up and form a huge dark cloud over our heads.

I am only half way to my goal but am already noticing huge benefits:
After an accident a couple of years ago, and the subsequent weight gain, I was unable to walk for more than 5-10 minutes without my knee killing me. I can now walk solidly for about 40min at a time and getting better every week.
After over 8 years of being a hosehead every night without fail, I have only had to use my CPAP 3 nights this year - when I had a bit of a cold. I still have it by the bed, but don't need it.
Although I am still taking blood pressure tablets, they have already been reduced and I am being reassessed again next week.
I'm not buying new clothes yet as I'm too tight to spend money on something I hope will only last a little while. But my clothes are getting so baggy I've had my sewing machine serviced and I'm going to have a go at taking them in.
Turning over in bed, getting up out of low chairs or off the floor is improving but still has a way to go. But those cafe chairs with arms don't scare me anymore.

Like you, I think I have used eating as a way of suppressing emotions. With me I think it is mainly grief and anger. The thing with the sleeve is that you just can't do that anymore, and I am finding that the confidence I am already gaining is helping me to try and deal with how I'm feeling rather than just smothering it with food.

I really think that having my sleeve has been the best thing I have ever done, not only for my physical health but also for my mental well being.

Hugs - Carrie
Back to top Go down
JudyC
JudyC

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-04-02

PostSubject: Re your replies   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyWed 07 Apr 2010, 3:58 pm

Dear Caz, Tempest, Shelly, m3angels, Old Mark, Janette and Carrie

Thanks so much for the replies to my questions and worries. It was great. Your information is most welcome and helpful and I so appreciate the support you are giving me. Went to the Psych today (she thinks I use food to suppreess emotions - grief etc and thinks I eat to make myself feel better when emotions arise, she is probably correct, but I also like food!! She says that when you have exhausted all physical reasons for being overweight, you then have to look at the reason being a psycholgoical reason. But she was most against this op. I think from a psych's point of view, she thinks I can solve it with concentrating on breathing and focussing on other things when I go to eat when I shouldn't. She thinks that if I haven't learned to deal with my emotions, this will only make it worse and will be just another way of suppressing emotions. She wants me to wait a year and try her method but I told her I couldn't wait that long and it would be just as hard for me. She hasn't shaken my resolve, it was just interesting to hear her point of view, obviously she thinks I am taking a short cut and trying to find an easy way out and therefore won't solve my eating problems because they are psychological, but I am sure that whether I diet or have the op, it won't be easy and even if I diet, the emotions which cause me to eat are still going to be there and still have to be dealt with. And really, I don't want to waste another year of my life being the way I am. Nevertheless, day 2 of the diet and I am still surviving, but am sick of broccoli, beans and cauliflower with protein at night but it is only short term and I keep reminding myself of that. Well, that's all for tonite, better head off to bed, hope you are all coping and my prayers and good wishes are with you all.

Hugs to all of you,
Judy
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyWed 07 Apr 2010, 12:20 am

You bring up some great points!

I am handling the Optifast so far, but was soooo hungry today, my first full day of diet and ended up with a huge headache.

This is normal and should go away after 2-3 days. Just make sure you drink lots of water too.Your body is detoxing.

I have so much to gain from losing weight, not just feeling good, but being able to walk (hopefully without pain, my knees are bad) and wanting to, getting rid of my CPAP machine, not having to take blood pressure tablets, being able to buy decent clothes, being able to turn over in bed easily (who would have thought that was important), getting up out of low chairs, maybe even being able to sit on the ground again and know I can get up by myself, there is more, but I am sure some of you know what I mean. All sounds a bit trivial, but means a lot to me.

None of that is trivial! It is a great summary of many of the reasons we considered surgery.

I am 58 years of age and healthy in all other aspects so hope my age won't be a problem with the surgery.

I was nearly 60 when I had the surgery - and am about to turn 61 a much healthier, happier and fitter person!

I still can't believe I will lose weight with this, but your stories tell me differently so I must believe it will happen.

It WILL happen - and once you taste the success, your motivation (and confidence) will go up hugely!

Am worried about the 6-8 weeks after the op and wonder how others coped with this time - is there much pain?? is it difficult to drink so little so often, can't imagine that, please tell me how it was for you and what you did to make sure everything was OK.

I didn't have much pain at all. And by a week post-op absolutely none. Drinking for the first few days was not too bad - but you do need to concentrate on it. I just kept a drink nearby at all times.

Good luck
Caz
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 11:46 pm

Hi Judy,

None of that is trivial and I felt the same way you do now.
I could not sit in a low seat without help to get out. Couldn't get down on the ground, couldn't walk up or down stairs without excruciating pain and being puffed out after just a few. AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON

I was absolutely petrified of the Not being able to eat a real meal afterwards, that just kept going through my head as well.

OK on this side of the sleeve and over 7 months out.

I go on picnics and run around after my grand daughter, I get down on the ground and up again no probs. Same with low chairs.
I handle stairs and even the ladder now without a problem, still have some pain in my knees but that is arthritis.

I eat anything that I want and I have only thought a couple of times Oh I wish that I could eat a big meal. Both times I was out and it went as fast as it came. I am more prone now to thinking Good God what are those people doing to themselves !!!

Trust Michael he is a lovely caring man and you deserve to have a wonderful life where you can do all the things that you now only dream about.

Keep going with the opti, it isn't easy but it is worth it.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 9:56 pm

The first few days on Opti are rough, hang in there.

Your circumstances sound very similar to mine, except I never had a CPAP machine, but had everything else. I can now walk every morning, had my BP meds reduced, GP reckons another 10 kgs and I will be off them, I move around in bed quite freely. I haven't done much on the shopping side of things as I am still losing weight, so only been buying what I have to to see me through. Have become quite a bargain hunter.

The things you want to achieve are not trival, and I definitely know where you are coming from.

Everyone has different levels of pain, I thought the first 24 hours were the worst, but I had a PCA (drip loaded with pain meds) so used that for the pain. I only had pain the first 3 days, soreness after that for a couple of weeks.

With the diet post-op I just followed the diet given to me by the surgeons dietician and I had no problems what so ever. Its just sip sip sip! The 6 weeks passes quickly. I can now eat and drink anything. I am never hungry and have to eat by the clock, or I forget!
Back to top Go down
JudyC
JudyC

Female

PostSubject: Wow, what a wonderful response   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 5:19 pm

Thank you so much to all of you who have replied to my desperate messages, I feel much more reassured and will take all the advice on board. Dr France who is my surgeon is also as some of you know, very supportive. I sent him an email today with some questions (mainly to be armed when I get the questions from friends). I am handling the Optifast so far, but was soooo hungry today, my first full day of diet and ended up with a huge headache. I have so much to gain from losing weight, not just feeling good, but being able to walk (hopefully without pain, my knees are bad) and wanting to, getting rid of my CPAP machine, not having to take blood pressure tablets, being able to buy decent clothes, being able to turn over in bed easily (who would have thought that was important), getting up out of low chairs, maybe even being able to sit on the ground again and know I can get up by myself, there is more, but I am sure some of you know what I mean. All sounds a bit trivial, but means a lot to me. I feel my weight has really affected my life over the last 2 years, before I was this heavy (around 105kg) I could still do things but now it is very different. The extra 17kg really made life hard. Still can't believe I am doing this and at times doubt it, scary only being able to eat tiny meals for the rest of my life (food really shouldn't be so important hey) and knowing it is permanent but then I have to remember what my life is like now and I have tried diet after diet and my willpower is not there when I need it. So, won't go on anymore, but I do so need your support and really appreciate it. I am 58 years of age and healthy in all other aspects so hope my age won't be a problem with the surgery. According to Dr France's scales I am 120kg (on my own scales it says 122kg - I like his better). He said if I can lose 30kg it should be life changing for me but I am only 5' 2" and really should only weigh about 70kg at the most. I still can't believe I will lose weight with this, but your stories tell me differently so I must believe it will happen. Am worried about the 6-8 weeks after the op and wonder how others coped with this time - is there much pain?? is it difficult to drink so little so often, can't imagine that, please tell me how it was for you and what you did to make sure everything was ok. Once again, thank you all you lovely people.

Judy
xxx
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 9:55 am

Hi I read your comment on your friends thinking its to extreme and to have the band
i also thought it was extreme when i went to the seminar but after researching both the band and
the sleeve i knew the sleeve was right for me.Its your body and nobodyelse should tell you what is right for you.Im 4 weeks sleeved now and know ive made the right choice for myself.
Back to top Go down
my3angels
my3angels

Female
Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 7:59 am

Hiya Judy do you mind me asking who is your DR.Welcome to the April sleevers Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks 542174 & Im lucky my Dr doesnt really mind what I eat or drink he just said not to go overboard.I love my Dr Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks 63412
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 7:47 am

Hi Judy,
I conveniently forgot to ask about tea and coffee before the op so that he couldn't tell me not to have it.
Mind you it is better that you ask him LOL

He is a fantastic man, he was my surgeon as well and so I just love him to bits.

We have a fantastic bunch of people in Adelaide that are very supportive, if you need someone to talk to in person send me a PM and I will give you my phone number.

Cheers Gail
Back to top Go down
OLD Mark
Sponsor
OLD Mark

Male
Registration date : 2010-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 3:53 am

Warm welcome to the forum Judy...I was allowed to have tea & coffee prior to surgery with skim milk.

It sure does take some getting your head around....the fact you are removing most of a perfectly good
stomach & putting it in the bin vs something like a band which is reversable. Most people who haven't
had it done (incl many dr's) cant understand it & we cant ask them to...but talk to those of us who have
had it done & we will tell you differently. YES it is a life changing op & YES you will never be the same
again & YES you will loose a stack of weight & YES all those who doubt it (the op) now, will be "blown away"
by your stunning new look & healthy outlook on life.

I even doubted my decision on the op table......7 weeks later & 22kgs lighter....ask me if I doubt it now.

Stay strong, we will walk beside you every step of the way...just ask if & when
you want support

OLD Mark
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingwithgrief.info
JudyC
JudyC

Female

PostSubject: Re pre-op surgery   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 5:13 am

Hi Janette, thanks for your quick reply too, it was much appreciated. Thanks for the tips, I will get in touch with my dr because he only said shakes breakfast, shakes/bar lunch and small salad/meat/chicken/fish for tea with nothing to get me through mornings or afternoons until the meal for the next 3 weeks before surgery. I now weigh 120kg and it will be interesting to see what happens during the next 3 weeks.

Thanks for your good wishes, I think I will be living on here but am not sure where to go and post, bit hit and miss for me.

Judy
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 5:12 am

Hi JudyC

Welcome to the forum...you'll find there's lots of chat here about all the topics you mention throughout the forum. You might also want to pop into the "sleever's Monthly" thread...and look at the april 2010 topic...you'll see there are 15 of us (16 with you) being sleeved in April and not surprisingly we're talking a lot about optifast (many of us are already on it) and counting down the days to our surgeries... There's another member of the forum who's also going to be sleeved on 22 April...

cheers

S

Last edited by sssss on Fri 02 Apr 2010, 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 4:42 am

Hi Judy and welcome.

You do not want a gastric band Boggled
Too much can go wrong, lots of here are x-bandits and they can tell you about their problems with the band.

I don't drink black tea, but I did for the 2 weeks I was on Optifast, it was better than nothing.
Just remember its only for 2 weeks of your journey, most of us had to do the pre-op diet and you will cope also, just like we did.

I had a shake for breakfast, salad for morning tea, bar for lunch, fruit (I was allowed fruit) for afternoon tea and a bar and soup I made from the vegetable allow for dinner. Plus you need to drink heaps, I think I was taking in about 4-5 litres per day with water, diet soft drink, diet cordial and tea.

Good luck with your journey. Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks 542174 Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks 217555
Back to top Go down
JudyC
JudyC

Female

PostSubject: Re pre-op surgery   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 4:18 am

Thanks for your quick reply Carrie, guess I will have to give it a go. I have spoken to several friends telling them I am having this op and they are horrified and this is too drastic and I should just have a gastric band, they are making me doubt what I am doing, what do you thing one versus the other??
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 3:07 am

Hi Judy,

I didn't think I would cope either, I don't drink much tea and although I am a coffee fiend, I love lattes (I'd only have full strength milk) and didn't like black coffee much at all. But a funny thing happened, while I was on opti, I wasn't allowed milk but still needed caffine so I grudgingly gave long blacks a go. It must be some sort of survival thing, cos for the period that I was on opti, my body temporarily loved black coffee. I'm back on (light milk) lattes now but I don't mind black coffee any more.

-Carrie
Back to top Go down
JudyC
JudyC

Female

PostSubject: Re pre-op surgery   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 2:55 am

Thanks CarrieK, can't drink black tea or coffee,got to have a little milk, better ring Dr France and find out if I am allowed, I will not cope if I can't even have a cup of white tea :(.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 2:45 am

Hello and Welcome Judy,

I was allowed black coffee or tea, I wasn't allowed fruit apart from a small amount of berries.
I was also allowed non-starchy veges and diet jelly so I used them for snacking.

Have you seem a dietician yet? They should be able to tell you exactly what your surgeon prefers.

Check out the "Pre-op" thread, you should find info there.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
JudyC
JudyC

Female

PostSubject: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks EmptyFri 02 Apr 2010, 2:28 am

I am due to have surgery in under 3 weeks on 22/4/10, can someone tell me if I am still allowed to have tea and coffee before surgery? I guess we are not allowed to have fruit or anything mid morning or mid afternoon to get through to the shakes for lunch and tea?? What did others do to cope??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks   Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks Empty

Back to top Go down

Surgery in 3 weeks, how do I cope for the next 3 weeks
Page 1 of 1