Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Me

Female
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2013-08-14

Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery    Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery  EmptySat 18 Jan 2014, 9:45 pm

Thanks everyone, 

Didnt think of the cushion but will do, also will stock up of liquids (we are in a cabin) and I like the idea of milking down the yoghurt thanks. 

One sleep to go

Hope you are all do well in this heat!!!!!!!!!!!

me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery    Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery  EmptySat 18 Jan 2014, 8:13 am

Hi me

I was sleeved in August last year on a Monday and left hospital on the Friday. I was in agony until 12 days post op. This is NOT everyone's experience. Most people leave hospital with their pain meds and only have to take them for a couple of days.  Not me.  Every 4 hours I needed a dose. The pain woke me up at night even. 

Now I'm not saying all this to scare the crap out of you. 

I'm just giving you another perspective. MOST people have a breezy recovery where sight seeing through Ballarat and Bendigo for the last 2 weeks of the holidays would be ideal with the slow walking following the kids etc. 

So my first advise is to make a plan B for the kids for if everything goes pear shaped and you just aren't up to it all.

Next bit of advise it to get a small blender like a magic bullet or something similar. Also a strainer. Hand held is fine. Tea strainer even lol.

You can purchase fresh soups from coles and woolies and blend and add extra stock to thin then strain so u get no lumps for your first two weeks. Beats the hell out of Optifast, and you don't have to try to cook in the caravan when you feel like crap.  One soup will do for a full day so don't go overboard.

Another fluid option is yoghurt. Now don't bother getting the drinking yoghurt, just add a little bit of milk into your Greek yoghurt - or whichever flavour you like - to thin it down. Remember to strain.

I'm sure you will have a list of things from your dietitian and doctor. Join facebook groups as well. Sometimes the wait time for answers here can be annoying lol. Most of the sites that aren't secret are American and that can be rather annoying coz they have such a love affair with their protein drinks. Join a couple anyway. Sooner or later you will find some Aussies online that will get you onto the Aussie facebook groups :)
Back to top Go down
Katie4646

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery    Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery  EmptySun 05 Jan 2014, 3:26 pm

Hi there, it's good you have 5 days in hospital before a big drive and staying in caravan park. I went home after 3 days in hospital and then just stayed in bed at home for the next 3 days. I felt extremely weak and unable to do much at all in those first two weeks. And when going from clear fluids to nutritious fluids I needed to be very close to the toilet! (If you know what I mean)!! I wouldn't have been able to do what you're preparing to do so I hope that you feel well enough to have your holiday and your plans don't interfere with your recovery/healing. Having all the liquid food supplies ready before your trip might be a good idea and definately the pillow for the car too!! All the best. Katie
Back to top Go down
CrazyDaisy

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery    Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery  EmptyThu 19 Dec 2013, 12:13 am

Haha. Zooper doopers are 70ml tubes of cordial that you put in the freezer. Unfortunately I cannot find sugar free ones so don't have too many.  They are refreshing in the heat, crunchy but ok in the fluids only phase and provide a little liquid. They are in the same aisle as deserts at Coles supermarkets.  
Have a small cushion for between your tummy and the seatbelt to spread the pressure across your abdomen. It's more comfortable for your incisions.  
All the best.
Back to top Go down
Me

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery    Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery  EmptyWed 18 Dec 2013, 11:45 pm

Hi CrazyDazy, 

What on earth are zooper doopers????

Not sure which date we are in Ballarat but will send you a post if we are around. 
Would be good to meet with some others to chat. Thanks again, 

me
Back to top Go down
CrazyDaisy

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery    Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery  EmptyWed 18 Dec 2013, 11:27 pm

I had a  trip scheduled 5 days after surgery, staying in a caravan at a caravan park for 5 days. I did delay my trip 2 days and shortened to 3 days because there was a 2 1/2 hour drive. If you accomodation is air conditioned and you allow yourself to rest when tired you should be fine. An ensuite or site close to the amenties will be preferable also.In the heat I find zooper doopers wonderful, add plently of sips and liquid protein also.
I did not have a drain, main pain was on the right where the unwanted tissue was removed through.
I will be in the Ballarat area after 29/1/2014 if you would like to catch up PM me.
Back to top Go down
Me

Female

PostSubject: Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery    Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery  EmptyWed 18 Dec 2013, 10:20 pm

Hi All, 

I'm booked for the 20 January 2014. 

Feeling good about my decision. However just wondering if I could have some "tips" for the 2 weeks after surgery. 

As I live in Tassie I will be spending 5 days in hospital (Melbourne) then my partner and 2 sons will be coming over to join me and we plan to have a "holiday" seeing Bendigo and Ballarat. 

Don't want to wear myself out and also want to ensure that I'm prepared as we will be staying at a caravan park for the first week then with a friend for a week before I have my checkup and return home to Tassie. 

Also I'm expecting it to be rather hot, other than the "sip, sip, sip water could some of you please provide some helpful hints for surgery, week after then holiday then home. 
Im expecting to have a drain in after surgery. 

Thank you, 

me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery    Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery  Empty

Back to top Go down

Help!!!!, some tips for 2 weeks after surgery
Page 1 of 1