Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long until your post-surgery pain left you?

Go down 
+15
*Lib*
Manzie
Paul
kaysa9
Diafol
jodie_mc
Belle
Bibliophile
colli71
workdanceplay
Tempest
Janette
Raingold
Caz
LJohn
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LJohn

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-16

How long until your post-surgery pain left you? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 2:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi there, I'm new here and I had a little glance around but couldn't see any topics on this (aside from someone mentioning they were pain-killer free 3-days out which I can't imagine as although I'm off morphine I'm still doing panadol and some other one starting with t every six hours).

I'm 3 days into the sleeve, still in hospital actually, however I'm finding it really hard to know when I'm full because with the pain of the incisions and gas, there's a lot of contradicting messages going on in there!

I just got off the IV this morning and I'm eating jelly / custard / soup etc, however I still have some gas in my stomach and my incision pain is 2-3/10 sore 24/7 so I'm really worried about overdoing it. Normally I wouldn't mind, I know that at some point I'm going to need to test how much food I can eat or accidentally overdo it -- however considering coughing is 7/10 pain I'd imagine vomiting in this current state would be insanely painful and definitely something I'd like to avoid.

So I don't know, I guess I'm just wondering how long it took for your post-surgery incision / gas pain to leave you so you could start focusing on listening to your body? My surgeon thinks I'm a bit behind the recovery of the standard patient which I think is surprising since I walked around for an hour last night and I'm due for discharge tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
LJohn

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 2:54 am

Hmm.. I am a bit concerned at my level of pain then. Nothing serious, but it's kind of annoying. I am doing a lot better -- I can walk around, sit down, go to the bathroom, roll over (albeit with a lot of groaning). My main incision to the right of my stomach still hurts even on panadol when walking slowly and moving in bed, though.

Not sure why. I'll check with my surgeon tomorrow but I think I'm still ready for discharge.

I can't believe how pain-free your first night was. Quite frankly mine was one of the worst nights of my life (pain coupled with insane dehydration since my operation was delayed 10 hours and I hadn't drunken anything in like 27 hours).
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 2:15 am

You aren't going to want to hear this - I was on a pain drip with just liquid panadol for 2-3 days then had some tablets to take home. I hardly needed them at all. I didn't get any gas pain at all and could lie on my side and get up (carefully) without pain on the night of the operation.

Don't think you have to test how much you can eat though - if you eat too much, or eat the wrong things, you'll know about it. Just take things slowly - sip a lot and chew a lot and you'll be fine.

Don't be afraid to take the pain meds when you get home and just look after yourself.

Good luck
Caz
Back to top Go down
LJohn

Male

PostSubject: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 2:09 am

Hi there, I'm new here and I had a little glance around but couldn't see any topics on this (aside from someone mentioning they were pain-killer free 3-days out which I can't imagine as although I'm off morphine I'm still doing panadol and some other one starting with t every six hours).

I'm 3 days into the sleeve, still in hospital actually, however I'm finding it really hard to know when I'm full because with the pain of the incisions and gas, there's a lot of contradicting messages going on in there!

I just got off the IV this morning and I'm eating jelly / custard / soup etc, however I still have some gas in my stomach and my incision pain is 2-3/10 sore 24/7 so I'm really worried about overdoing it. Normally I wouldn't mind, I know that at some point I'm going to need to test how much food I can eat or accidentally overdo it -- however considering coughing is 7/10 pain I'd imagine vomiting in this current state would be insanely painful and definitely something I'd like to avoid.

So I don't know, I guess I'm just wondering how long it took for your post-surgery incision / gas pain to leave you so you could start focusing on listening to your body? My surgeon thinks I'm a bit behind the recovery of the standard patient which I think is surprising since I walked around for an hour last night and I'm due for discharge tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How long until your post-surgery pain left you?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2