Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long until your post-surgery pain left you?

Go down 
+15
*Lib*
Manzie
Paul
kaysa9
Diafol
jodie_mc
Belle
Bibliophile
colli71
workdanceplay
Tempest
Janette
Raingold
Caz
LJohn
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

How long until your post-surgery pain left you? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyMon 21 Jun 2010, 1:01 am

Hi Marg

Congrats on being sleeved and getting home safely...I needed panadol until about the end of the first week and after that was OK...although I didn't really have wind pain too badly. All the best as you relax and recover....and don't hesitate to contact your doc if you're really worried..

cheers

S
Back to top Go down
marg2511

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 20 Jun 2010, 10:34 pm

ok Thanks for your help It certainly describes what I am feeling. I felt a little better this morning. Day five might turn out to be a good day. Thank you for replying :) How long until your post-surgery pain left you? 618285
Back to top Go down
kmsbj
kmsbj

Female
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 20 Jun 2010, 12:53 pm

Hi Marg, Hugs, I think i know how you feel as I had a similar thing except in my right hand side. The pain was not constant but if i breathed too deeply, moved a certain way or tried to sit i felt as if someone was stabbing me with a knife. For me this continued up unitl a few days before my 6 week checkup. I almost rang the surgeon thinking he may have left something in me but decided to stick it out till check up unless things got unbearable. I spent most of my time either walking around or lying down. Sitting just wasnt an option. I also found after trying to bend and pick up something one day the pain moved from just under my ribs to upper pelvic region. Although at my 6 week check i was pain free my surgeon was not very impressed that i had not contacted him sooner. Whilst it may just be an 'air-pocket' left from surgery causing your pain as was in my case (which will be reabsorbed naturally given time) I suggest you contact your surgeon and discuss it with him.
Cheers Kellie
Back to top Go down
marg2511

Female

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 20 Jun 2010, 5:59 am

Thanks Carrie,
walking helps, I am concerned it is serious, if it normal to experisnce a sharp pain no where near the incisions I will accept, I will try packs did you use ice packs or heat packs , thanks for replying you are a champ
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 20 Jun 2010, 5:43 am

Hi Marg,

I didn't have it too badly, but found heat packs helped a lot, and a little gentle walking (just around the house) seemed to ease it too.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
marg2511

Female

PostSubject: Pain $ days after sleeve please help   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 20 Jun 2010, 5:31 am

Hi I just got home 4 days since sleeve down 4 kg. I have a sharp pain under my left breast . the nurses
said it was collected wind pain from surgery. It is so bad took 2 algesics. any ideas on what can help.

Love and wishes to all
Back to top Go down
Manzie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 878
Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 23 May 2010, 8:35 am

Yeah - I can do 1/2 days. Thanks for your concern, most appreciated! :) I have a 2 hour door to door commute so I'm used to being tired! I was exhausted on the optifast pre-surg diet. One of the things I'm most looking forward to is having more energy!
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 23 May 2010, 8:28 am

Don't over do it Manzie. Do you have the option of doing 1/2 days? You'll find you'll get tired by the end of the day. The little 'food' you are ingesting will leave your body lacking energy.
Back to top Go down
Manzie
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 878
Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 23 May 2010, 8:06 am

I'm 5 days post surgery (had 2 nights in hospital) and I'm still taking 1 x di-gesic 3 times a day. Starting to panic because I don't have many left! Arrgh! I'm also going back to work tomorrow because I'm bored sitting around at home thinking about food!
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Pain   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySat 15 May 2010, 11:23 am

My pain left overnight on the 7th day after surgery. Fantastic!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 09 May 2010, 11:14 pm

Hang in there, the first couple of days are the worst. How long until your post-surgery pain left you? 217555
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female

PostSubject: Weight gain   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySun 09 May 2010, 6:06 pm

Paul wrote:

The funny thing I found was that I gained 4KG since the pre-op weigh in...I figured it would be less since they cut out a fair bit of my stomach...

Me too. Gained 1.5 kg. Very odd. must be liquids. And still in pain as well. Almost regretting the whole deal.

Kaysa
Back to top Go down
Paul

Male
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySat 08 May 2010, 7:02 am

I had no pain while in hospital, there was some tightness in my stomach and the 'stab' wounds were itchy, but no pain as such. I got home yesterday and have found that my favourite lounge chair sits me in a position where I feel shoulder pain, but that seems to have subsided a bit. Wounds are itchy, stomach is still a little tight and I have slight shoulder pain...not nearly as bad as I thought it would be and to be honest I am happy I have some discomfort to remind me I have had the surgery and need to take it easy.

The funny thing I found was that I gained 4KG since the pre-op weigh in...I figured it would be less since they cut out a fair bit of my stomach...
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female

PostSubject: The gas pain is nasty   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptySat 08 May 2010, 6:47 am

LJohn wrote:
Hi there, I'm new here and I had a little glance around but couldn't see any topics on this (aside from someone mentioning they were pain-killer free 3-days out which I can't imagine as although I'm off morphine I'm still doing panadol and some other one starting with t every six hours)..

I had surgery yesterday and the gas pain was severe. I could only take small breaths. Feeling a bit better today. However I still have gas pains in my back and shoulder. Yesterday it felt like i had stabbing knifes under my lungs, down the spine and in my collar bones. The liquid morphine helped a bit. Trusting that it all will improve as I see positive changes hour to hour.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Diafol

Male
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-09-03

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyWed 14 Apr 2010, 2:19 am

Hi all,

I have had a dream run and I didnt have any pain at all and I only took the panadol they offered as I thought it couldnt hurt.I was prepared for pain but it never showed up,im thankful it didnt and my recovery has been great.I think they thought i was trying to be a hero as the nurses would say its o.k and to make sure I told them if I was in pain lol I hope others have the same painless experience as I have.
Back to top Go down
jodie_mc

Female
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-03-08

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyMon 08 Mar 2010, 1:08 pm

Hi,

I'm 4 days Post-Op and had the Morphine (PCA) attached for 3 days, ridiculous because after the first night I wouldn't use it. The horrible foggy feeling was awful in my opinion. I also had IV panadol a couple of times a day, which I looked forward to as it got rid of that foggy feeling, and to be honest I would much rather have just had that. On the 2nd day I started having really bad ripping pains when I tried to get out of bed or move at all around the site of the drain. A quick call to my amazing Surgeon Dr Padovan and he had them take it out (the gastrograph showed no leaks so it was all fine). I have to say the worst pain of the entire surgery was the pain around the drain (the nurse said it was caught on some tissue). Day 4 and only on 1 or two normal panadol tabs a day (not the panadeine forte they gave me) and things are pretty easy. Starting to get some of that shoulder tip pain now though but I have the heat pads so it's all good.

Now if I could just understand what my new little tummy is trying to tell me!!
Back to top Go down
http://asleeversjourney.blogspot.com/
Belle
Part of the furniture
Belle

Female
Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2009-11-16

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyMon 22 Feb 2010, 9:01 pm

I didn't really have any pain either. Was in hospital one night during which I had pain meds through the IV. Apart from soreness when sitting up or turning in bed for maybe 5 nights at the wound sites, I didn't really experience any other pain or gas pain. Sometimes a twinge when bending or moving too sharply at one of the wound sites for a couple of weeks. Also had a bit of an achy cramp feel in my back at times from between my shoulder blades down the centre when sitting, but not enough to warrant any pain meds.
Did feel a bit disoriented fom the anesthetic (sp) (prob the pain meds) for a couple of days... a bit fragile.
Apart from that my journey has been problem free, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones that flew through the process. Touch wood, are just out 3 weeks now :)
I guess some credit should go to my excellent surgeon Dr Mark Daoud :).
Best wishes,
Belle :)
Back to top Go down
Bibliophile
Bibliophile

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyMon 22 Feb 2010, 2:20 pm

I had my surgery two weeks and three days ago. I had a morphine pump that I used for the first two days post surgery. I was given a liquid pain killer when the IV was taken away. The medicine was so vile, I decided that I would rather endure the discomfort that drink that yucky medicine. It suggests to me that the pain was not so bad.
Back to top Go down
colli71
Part of the furniture
colli71

Female
Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyMon 22 Feb 2010, 12:56 pm

I'm a week out today & had the PCA pump on the first night only & then panadol elixir (soluble gave me nausea) every 6 hrs while in hospital (no real abdominal pain, just a little bit of shoulder tip pain, the heat pads & walking also helped with this) since being home 4 days ago, only had panadol twice, just to help sleep the first night (the long drive home made me feel like I had done too many situps) and the next morning out of habit & haven't used them since. I have been taking the Nexium every morning religiously though.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Colleen
Back to top Go down
workdanceplay
workdanceplay

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyMon 22 Feb 2010, 12:09 pm

I was on the PCA thingo for 3 days and then on panadol tablets, i could have liquid if i wanted. I stopped panadol after 1 and a half weeks and I am 2 weeks post op today and pain free.
Although i do have one stab site wound that rubs on my other fat roll - sounds grose. Other than that i did have gas pain under my left rib which was really uncomfortable and at one stage i was becoming so bloated i felt like a puffa fish. I took de-gas tablets and a suppository and it made an enormous difference. But the gas/wind pain was only there for 1 and a half weeks then gone.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 9:19 am

Hi,
Sorry to say I was a bit of a freak as well.
Two nights in hospital, slept like a baby both nights. Was up walking around the night of surgery.
Had stab site pain but not bad enough for me to not go for walks along the corridor constantly. I was told that this would help the gas pain so just kept having a nap and then going for a walk. Worked a treat for me but remember that we are all different and heal at different rates.

Cheers Gail
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 6:17 am

I was only on the pain drip (PCA) for 24 hours, then IV Panadol. I was operated on Monday morning, by Wednesday evening pain free. Just soreness when I sat up, or tried to roll onto my left side. I had no gas pain at all and no shoulder tip pain while in hospital, although did get it on Day 11.

First 3-4 days at home I took Digesic which I was given when I left hospital, before bed. Helped me sleep better, as not used to sleeping flat on my back. It was 2 weeks before I could sleep on my left side again, just didn't feel right.

I couldn't gauge fullness when in hospital, I just had no more than 100 mls in one sitting in the first week or so, and sip, sipped on fluids.
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 4:27 am

Hi. I'm nearly 4 weeks now. I didn't get wind/abdominal pains at all. Stab site pain was only when I went to sit up from lying down, or lie down from sitting. And that was only for the first say 5 days max. And it wasn't really bad pain either. Just something to be aware of. I had no stab site pain otherwise. The only "pain" I did get was the dreaded shoulder pain, then a bit of chest wall pain. But it was more of a dull ache, if that makes sense. This was from day 4-7 then it's been all gone since then. Dissolveable panadol were my friends. Worked a treat!
I eat about 100 - 125mls quantity of liquidy type size meals at the moment. That fits fine. Any more I feel nauseaus.
We all heal at our own rate. You'll be fine.

How long until your post-surgery pain left you? 217555
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 2:57 am

I've been told by many on this forum that I was freakishly lucky - not all were - so I think you are still absolutely fine.
Back to top Go down
LJohn

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-16

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? EmptyFri 05 Feb 2010, 2:54 am

Hmm.. I am a bit concerned at my level of pain then. Nothing serious, but it's kind of annoying. I am doing a lot better -- I can walk around, sit down, go to the bathroom, roll over (albeit with a lot of groaning). My main incision to the right of my stomach still hurts even on panadol when walking slowly and moving in bed, though.

Not sure why. I'll check with my surgeon tomorrow but I think I'm still ready for discharge.

I can't believe how pain-free your first night was. Quite frankly mine was one of the worst nights of my life (pain coupled with insane dehydration since my operation was delayed 10 hours and I hadn't drunken anything in like 27 hours).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long until your post-surgery pain left you?   How long until your post-surgery pain left you? Empty

Back to top Go down

How long until your post-surgery pain left you?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next