Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Denise1971
Denise1971

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-20

New to the forum - Thinking about surgery - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: New to the forum - Thinking about surgery   New to the forum - Thinking about surgery - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Jul 2008, 12:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking about the surgery option :scratch: well the metabolic doctor I went to see wants me to have the gastric sleeve surgery.

First things first I want to have a baby, biological clock ticking, Mr Perfect hasn't come knocking on my door (my last experience has put me off ever getting involved with anyone ever again - that is another story), and I want to become a parent and know what it like to bring a life into the world. Anyway took myself off to a fertility clinic they said yep we can help you but we need you to drop you BMI to under 35 (which is thier cut off), so the doctor I saw referred me to the Metabolic Medicine Clinic in West Perth to help out with the weight loss.

Saw Dr Singh at MMC and he was really good, spent an hour with himtalking about my eating habits my history of the billion diets I had been on before and how successful they were - more to the point how unsuccessful. By the end of the hour he suggested the gastric sleeve operation and had me doing a million blood tests, heart tests, urine tests, diet diary etc etc etc... The tests came back and in his words I was "unremarkable :| , according to these tests". So he has put me on a low fat "eating plan", set me up with a Personal Trainer in the gym at the clinic and referred me to an Upper GI Surgeon Dr Thomas, who I have an initial appt with on Wednesday to see if I can have the surgery and get on his list.

I told my parents what I was doing and they far-eaked out!!! "Thats major surgery", "You could die!" thanks for the positivity, "what about the band?" blah blah blah...

So this is where I am at... I've read through alot of stuff on the Gastric Sleeve surgery - advantages and disadvantages, risks, complications and so on. I 've read alot of your posts on the forum and have read alot of positives but not a lot of negatives.

My questions are;
Has anyone on this forum had thier sleeve done by Dr Thomas he works out of SJOG Murdoch (Perth)?
What are the real negatives and positives? It's all well and good ready the blurbs by the doctors but you guys are living this, so what's the real story?
What should I be asking this surgeon when I got to see him?

I am confused!!! :?:

Hope you can help me out. ☀

Thanks Denise
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum - Thinking about surgery   New to the forum - Thinking about surgery - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Jul 2008, 12:29 pm

Hi Denise, and welcome to the site, great to have you with us.

I have been sleeved for about 15 weeks now and have had no negative effects, although some might say that my shopping for clothes habits have increased dramatically!! LOL.
Honestly I have had no negatives, just getting healthier and better every day. There is a really good thread here called Milestones, if you go there and have a read, you will see alot of successful stories, both in new sleevers, and shall we say, more advanced sleevers. Also have a read of the Post-op page, and there is a questions page too.
Feel free to ask all you like!!
Welcome again, hope to chat soon. And might I say, Its great to have another Perthy among us!!
👽
Hayley
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum - Thinking about surgery   New to the forum - Thinking about surgery - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Jul 2008, 12:24 pm

Denise. the risk with this surgery is a leak, which is serious but nobody has ever died from it. It occurs in the first week or two after surgery, once you get past that time frame it is practically nothing that can go wrong. Dr Thomas is in practise and trained my surgeon Mr Epari, so you are in good hands. It also means you should see Nikki Cummins as the ditician again a lovely lady her husband as the sports physcio and Andrew as the Physcician.
Any questions ask away :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Denise1971
Denise1971

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: New to the forum - Thinking about surgery   New to the forum - Thinking about surgery - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Jul 2008, 12:02 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking about the surgery option :scratch: well the metabolic doctor I went to see wants me to have the gastric sleeve surgery.

First things first I want to have a baby, biological clock ticking, Mr Perfect hasn't come knocking on my door (my last experience has put me off ever getting involved with anyone ever again - that is another story), and I want to become a parent and know what it like to bring a life into the world. Anyway took myself off to a fertility clinic they said yep we can help you but we need you to drop you BMI to under 35 (which is thier cut off), so the doctor I saw referred me to the Metabolic Medicine Clinic in West Perth to help out with the weight loss.

Saw Dr Singh at MMC and he was really good, spent an hour with himtalking about my eating habits my history of the billion diets I had been on before and how successful they were - more to the point how unsuccessful. By the end of the hour he suggested the gastric sleeve operation and had me doing a million blood tests, heart tests, urine tests, diet diary etc etc etc... The tests came back and in his words I was "unremarkable :| , according to these tests". So he has put me on a low fat "eating plan", set me up with a Personal Trainer in the gym at the clinic and referred me to an Upper GI Surgeon Dr Thomas, who I have an initial appt with on Wednesday to see if I can have the surgery and get on his list.

I told my parents what I was doing and they far-eaked out!!! "Thats major surgery", "You could die!" thanks for the positivity, "what about the band?" blah blah blah...

So this is where I am at... I've read through alot of stuff on the Gastric Sleeve surgery - advantages and disadvantages, risks, complications and so on. I 've read alot of your posts on the forum and have read alot of positives but not a lot of negatives.

My questions are;
Has anyone on this forum had thier sleeve done by Dr Thomas he works out of SJOG Murdoch (Perth)?
What are the real negatives and positives? It's all well and good ready the blurbs by the doctors but you guys are living this, so what's the real story?
What should I be asking this surgeon when I got to see him?

I am confused!!! :?:

Hope you can help me out. ☀

Thanks Denise
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the forum - Thinking about surgery   New to the forum - Thinking about surgery - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

New to the forum - Thinking about surgery
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3