AuthorMessage
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

weight gain after being "sleeved" Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySun 06 Sep 2009, 1:52 am

Hi Gail. There are so many people on here now that I forgot that you had just been "done".

I definitely wouldn't do it until your Doctor OKs it. It works on the core muscles and this means the abdominals, so I doubt very much that you would even be able to attempt the program until further down the recovery track. I found my abs wouldn't co operate until about 2 months post op. You would be in more agony than was normal. LOL.

Do check with a professional and take it at your own pace. The program is worth waiting for and you will be thrilled with the results and how you feel once you are able to start.

Let me know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 8:22 pm

Hi everyone
Rice Cake, you're right, and I'm guilty.
When I mentioned that I put weight on, I was only talking 1-2 kg at a time. Then it usually comes off again fairly quickly, when I begin to eat healthily again.
Apple, my doc also told me that dumping is possible with the sleeve, so perhaps it's a more general term than specific these days? Anyway, whatever it's called, the effect is there.
Gail, you're doing well if you're walking a lot after just 9 days, so keep it up. I'm sure that walking won't hurt you, no matter how much you do! Check with your doc before doing anything more strenuous, though.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 3:06 pm

Hi Janey,
How soon after surgery do you think that it would be ok to start that kind of exercise.
I am walking a fair bit already because even though it is only 9 days I feel pretty good, however I don't want to do any damage.

Cheers Gail.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 2:35 pm

Hi Gail.

Glad you managed to find out about T Tapp with Jo's help. You will not be disappointed. Just expect to be really, really sore for the first couple of days. I found massaging some Voltaren into my thighs...as these get the most of the workout.....a great relief.

Good luck.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 2:13 pm

we have had a few of these posts and I really wish people who post them would return and clarify a few issues as how much weight has this person put on? 5 kg or 50 Kg.

By posting things like this and then not actually going into a bit more deatil it just scares people.

The sleeve is only a tool, you still have to put in the effort and make the best food choices ect..I know the weeks I really put in effort I do lose more than weeks I sit oin my bum. However, now when I do sit on my bum, I try and make the healiest food choices, dont always succeed but I try.
Back to top Go down
Adelaide_Jo
Part of the furniture
Adelaide_Jo

Female
Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 11:06 am

Gail, I did think that would probably be more your style!
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 10:53 am

Hi Jo,
Thanks for that I have book marked it to have a good look at.

Not likely to close the shop more my style to get all the customers involved LOL
Back to top Go down
Adelaide_Jo
Part of the furniture
Adelaide_Jo

Female

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 10:48 am

I just watched a couple of T Tapp videos and Gail I can see you closing the shop for daily T Tapp sessions!
Back to top Go down
Adelaide_Jo
Part of the furniture
Adelaide_Jo

Female

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 10:43 am

Hey Gail,

I googled T Tapp and found this website -> http://www.t-tapp.com

If you google it you will find heaps of other resources.

Cheers Jo
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 9:39 am

Hi Janey,
Can you tell me in what section you explained T Tapp. I would very much like to read it.
I am walking everyday already and it will take a while before I can do heavy exercise but would like to have the information ready to go.

Cheers Gail.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 8:15 am

Oh Kylie. Take heart gorgeous. Yes I am working hard and it is harder than I thought it would be but remember this is my 2nd turn at WLS. You are a first timer and I'm sure you will have a much speedier and easier time of it.

I never thought I ate a lot either. Certainly not what you would expect an obese person to put away. So I'm totally there with you on that. I have no idea whether my metabolism in normal or not and have never bothered to find out. The weight is oh so slowly coming off but it is moving.
I do exercise most every day, 30 minutes on the treadmill uphill and I have found that the program I mentioned on here before...T Tapp....has made a HUGE difference in the past couple of weeks. The cms have melted off, though this is not reflected in the scales. To prove this point....I was getting dressed this morning and had chosen an outfit I wore less than 3 weeks ago. At that time the pants fit comfortably. Today I put them on and they fell off!! Now I have only lost about a kilo or so in that time but the change in my body shape has been nothing short of miraculous. So I highly recommend this 15 minute workout to everyone. It kills when you first start doing it but does get easier. I am going to slowly advance onto the 45 minute one.
If it triples the effects of the shorter workout I will be melting away...LOL.
So you can succeed Kylie and even if I don't lose another kilo I am so much better off than I was 3 months ago. I'm sure you will be completely successful with the sleeve.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptySat 05 Sep 2009, 4:08 am

A couple of things. Just because somebody is a surgeon doesn't always make the terms they use always correct. Please people it is important to have faith in the surgeon you pick, but you are responsible for your own health always do your own research and always double triple check everything you are told. And no trusting somebody on a msg board is not the way either *LOL* Being grateful to somebody who gave you this amazing life doesn't equal blind faith, that is dangerous.

A sleeve will ONLY restrict the volume of food. now what food you put in that volume is YOUR responsibility. Now I have heard the stupidest things before. People who swear on their children's life that they have eaten nothing but optifast for 6 months and not dropped a kg THEN say the band or sleeve is the answer for them. It simply is not. Because they either out and out lie to themselves over what they are actually eating and thus will continue to do just that and sabotage their wls OR they have an extremely rare medical condition that means that their body will not lose weight which again makes wls a waste of time.

Personally my body will not lose weight unless under 600 calories a day. So I just accept that and get on with my life. The sleeve gave me back my health and my life. I love it for that. But the reality is if you want your ass to look good in a size 10 pair of jeans 95% of sleevers will have to WORK and do that DIET thing to get them there. A few about 5% will do it with no diet or exercise but do not fool yourself into thinking it will be you (that you being anybody) Either make up your mind that the sleeve is a tool to get you to a safe weight that makes you healthy and live with it as I have, or be prepared to work your buns off to lose that last 10-15 kg.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyFri 04 Sep 2009, 10:50 pm

Hi Applesause,

Dumping is the term my surgeon used.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyFri 04 Sep 2009, 8:22 am

riasedbycats it is not possible to actually get dumping from a sleeve as all the bits that cause this are still intact. People tho Can experence a sensation that feels like it. this is just your body reacting to food it is not use to. If you are diabetic or pre diabetic you are usally far worse with it. Liquid sugar or lollies on an empty stomach are the worst offenders for most people. As you are able to eat more and thus have a better so called mix of food in your stomach for sugar based things to absob more slowely this tends to not be as big a problem. But even now nearly 2 years out I accidently drank a huge slug of coke on an empty stomach by mistake and it made me feel vile. I thought it was diet coke.
But it is important not to confuse what happens from not being use to something and calling it dumping.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyThu 03 Sep 2009, 10:03 pm

Hi Opus,

Your reaction sounds like dumping syndrome. I get the same effect and mentioned it to my surgeon and that's what he called it/ He viewed it as a good thing and I'm in agreement.

I also got it when I broke the rules once and drunk too soon after eating. I suspect the food was being washed out before being sufficiently digested. I felt so bad I haven't done it since and I doubt I will.

Likewise I can't drink sweet drinks - I'm strictly a trim flat white person at the coffee shop now.

I haven't even considered eating biscuits or sweets (cookies or candy in your language).
Back to top Go down
OpusKV626
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyThu 03 Sep 2009, 6:22 pm

I find posts like this really interesting. I'm 3.5 months out and still can't eat more than a few ounces at a time. I couldn't eat a whole sandwich if I wanted to. I understand that I could eat a larger volume of mushy or creamy foods, but I really can't do it. Food that passes easily through are those that I've learned to avoid.

Trust me. It has nothing to do with willpower. I just notice that foods that pass quickly past my tummy make me feel terrible. So my body queues are still the main reason why I'm on track. Two cans of creamed rice would have me vomiting, and sweating and nauseous and my heart would be racing. I think someone on the board noted vomiting blood after overeating. I have a great fear of hurting my tummy. Fear is a great motivator.

The few times I've accidentally gone overboard, usually when I've skipped a meal and then ate too fast, have been horrid.

I know that things may change a year out. That's why I keep my eye on threads like these. I hope it's not common.

I wish all the best to those struggling. I know I've been lucky so far.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 9:00 pm

Hi Pam
Sorry to hear you're putting on weight. You're just a little ahead of me, as I was done in June last year.
I find that I put on weight if I graze, or if I eat a lot of junk food.
But I couldn't fit in a whole bread roll (crusty or otherwise) and filling - well, not at one time.
Why not talk to your doc and see what s/he says?
Like others have said, though, the sleeve is just a tool - we have to work with it. So first you should look at what you're eating - perhaps you eat more than you think by nibbling between meals. That's the biggest no-no with the sleeve and a sure way to gain weight.
Perhaps try a food diary and keep track of everything you eat over a few days (without changing it), so that you get a better idea of exactly what's going down - then you can take that to the doc and get some answers.
Best of luck.
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 12:35 pm

weight gain after being "sleeved" 355206

I haven't had my WLS yet but there has been 3 other people from what I can remember asking the same thing about the amount of food they can eat going up. One lady ate 2 large cans of creamed rice and said she could of easily had more whilst having a realtime X-ray to see the size of her sleeve. None of them have come back to shed some light but I did find another website a few weeks ago that has heaps of people that have had different types of WLS and heaps of info. I don't know if I can put another site up on here but I can pm it across to you if you want.

Best wishes
chrystale weight gain after being "sleeved" 65317
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster
Libby

Female
Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 11:41 am

My surgeon advised me that the tummy stretching over time was one of the risks. He told me that if it stretches too much they can redo the sleeve but I don't know how safe that would be as the stomach was originaly stretched over the bougie and then if it's been stretched with food only to be stretched over another bougie....well thats a lot of stretching.
Back to top Go down
invisiblenomore

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-08-02

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 11:25 am

Def see your doctor. If you continue to put on weight, you can look into progressing to the gastric bypass. Initally, the sleeve gastrectomy was the first stage of a gastric bypass for patients who could not tolerate a long surgical procedure. However, it was found that many people lost enough weight and did not need to do the next stage which is the bypass. In the US I know that some patients who do not lose all the weight do still progress to the full bypass after losing some weight from the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 9:09 am

I think you need a better example of what you are now able to eat. A crusty roll is nothing, they are all air and compress down to nothing so does salad. So if the roll really is one of those mostely air crusty rolls and a bit of chicken and some salad it isnt a huge amount. More than I would expect but we are not talking a an entire pizza or a large plate of pasta. Something like a subway roll is a lot denser and getting down a 6 inch is not something I think I could do. I can some days get down a wrap and other days not finish it. Just depends and it is not like last week I could and this week I can It can be this week I can't but last week I could. What I fit in goes up and down. How easily I digest food has changed dramaticly. so grazing is a big problem to be avoided at all costs. Honestly I would try something like mac cheese and see just how much of that you can get down, as in a cup or 2 cups etc. That would be a far better guide to see how much you are actually eating.
Have you had any problems along the way ? Is there any foods you can not tolerate ? who was your surgeon ?

You could look at the pouch shrinking diet, it is on this forum. Basicly following an eating pattern for about a week from memory and see if that makes any difference. It is a bit hard to give any advise as you are only the first person to come forward with this problem. We have heard rumors but nobody actually who has come forward.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 8:53 am

Hi Pam and welcome to the site.
That's scary....... I'm 9 months sleeved and have lost 32kgs and its been quite a slow ride....lots of humps and bumps (won't mention the word plateau's).
There is another stage to the sleeve - not sure if anyone on the forum has done the stage 2 but shadesailundies (Jen) had the gastric bypass which is the gastric sleeve and then they shorten the intestines somehow but hope she will come on and explain it to you or you could PM her perhaps. Others will know more about it than me and will probably pop in and post more about it for you.

Perhaps if you go back to your Surgeon and ask. Who was your surgeon?
Has it been a gradual thing that you can now eat more? I certainly can't eat a bread roll at all - well to be quite honest haven't even attempted it. If I go to Subway I eat a wrap and struggle to eat the whole wrap. I can manage a whole sandwich though (homemade one).

I know you can put on weight if you graze and it has also been drilled into us that the sleeve is just a tool for weight loss. There haven't been many on the forum over 13 or 14 months I don't think and we haven't had a lot who have put on weight so its good to have the other side to warn us this can happen if we don't watch ourselves. A few have put on weight at times and then gone on shakes to get back to where they were.

How much weight have you put back on?? Sorry to ask so many questions but it is something on the back of all sleevers minds - are we going to put the weight back on or how easy is for the kilos to creep back on. Perhaps if you could tell us more of your story it could be so useful to all of us on here and by you telling your story perhaps some of us could help you and come up with a solution.

Thanks Pam for you post and good luck with further options and solutions.
hugs
Jilly
Back to top Go down
pam4411

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" EmptyWed 02 Sep 2009, 7:41 am

My op was 1.5 years ago and I find now that my capacity to eat is almost getting back to normal, consequently I have gained weight as I have no self control when it comes to eating :( (and drinking). Example I can eat a large crusty roll with chicken salad etc and drink a flat white.
Has anyone else had this problem and knows a solution to it? ( obviously the solution is to eat less but if we could do that we would not be here in the first place) Is there another surgery you can have or is that it now?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: weight gain after being "sleeved"   weight gain after being "sleeved" Empty

Back to top Go down

weight gain after being "sleeved"
Page 1 of 1