AuthorMessage
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Weight Gain after op???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight Gain after op????   Weight Gain after op???? EmptyTue 02 Sep 2014, 12:24 pm

Be careful of natural fruit juices as your dietitian won't suggest them due to the fact they don't actually provide any hydration and they are full of natural sugar.  Sure it's easier for your body to digest the natural sugars - taken 1 fruit at a time, but when it's in bulk it will store it.

For backed up, natural pear juice (just the tinned variety fro Coles etc) as well as many over the counter remedies are available.  There are some in powdered form, pill form and can vary on how long it will take to react (usually overnight) but if you ever get in a position you are really stuck (and in pain) there is a liquid insertion form available over the counter.  It's in a slim container thingy so you can insert, squeeze, then try to hold on for as long as possible then it will come out.  It can be repeated.

So this is a timely reminder to make sure you drink enough hydrating liquid.  The moment your tongue feels dry you are already dehydrated so grabbing a poweraide or mizone to help quench the thirst, plus hydralite (also available in icy poles) always a good idea to keep on hand.  Find out exactly what you will drink (no matter the calories) to ensure you keep your hydration levels up because if you don't, the worse the other end problems will be.  I have seen 3 dietitians and all of them have agreed, drink cordial with water because it's what I like and what I will happily drink 2l plus every day of.  I can't stand the diet cordial.

As for putting on weight after surgery, completely normal as they have a drip in your arm plus constantly asking you to drink.  After my emergency bypass I wasn't allowed to leave hospital until I could prove I could drink 2L of water a day.  Without access to cordial and I can't tolerate tap water, I was buying bottled water out of a dispenser and had to prove it for 3 days!!  Was expensive but worth it because he finally let me go home LOL
Back to top Go down
Beachesbabe
Beachesbabe

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Weight Gain after op????   Weight Gain after op???? EmptySat 30 Aug 2014, 10:36 pm

Thanks everyone, I am happy to report as of this morning I am down 4kg. I was just so disappointed to come home heavier than i went in and thanks to the gas just as big. i was also a bit backed up….which my husband fixed, yesterday he made a fruit juice of orange, apple, carrot and ginger. He asked me later if he should have felled the carrots as there was a funny taste in the juice..I said no you shouldn't have to peel the carrot. Wasn't until last night he fessed up he didn't peel the orange either! So to anyone wanting to get things moving believe me it works i was at my daughter's netball grand final and had to go….feel sorry for anyone who had to use that cubicle after me!
Weight Gain after op???? 63412
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Weight Gain after op????   Weight Gain after op???? EmptySat 30 Aug 2014, 7:02 am

It's normal to put on fluid. AFTER my last surgery I put on 9kgs and I was only 55kgs at the time so boy did it show. Can take a few weeks to come off.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Weight Gain after op????   Weight Gain after op???? EmptySat 30 Aug 2014, 6:25 am

not only will you have extra fluid but they pumped your abdominal region full of air at time of surgery. You may also be 'backed up' in relation to bowels. So between fluid, gas and poo you will weight abit more.
Back to top Go down
fleur8
fleur8

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2014-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Weight Gain after op????   Weight Gain after op???? EmptySat 30 Aug 2014, 5:37 am

I was sleeved on 18th August and came home 8kgs more than when I went in. Fortunately that 8 has come off plus an additional 4kgs. A bit disconcerting at first though!
Back to top Go down
Beachesbabe
Beachesbabe

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weight Gain after op????   Weight Gain after op???? EmptyFri 29 Aug 2014, 12:57 am

Thanks Nini
I hadn't seen it mentioned before so although i hoped it was just fluid was a bit concerned. Thank goodness for this support forum
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Weight Gain after op????   Weight Gain after op???? EmptyThu 28 Aug 2014, 11:54 pm

Don't stress, most people gain weight after surgery due to fluid. They pump you full of IV fluids so that you don't get dehydrated. They know most people struggle to drink all their water to begin with. Once your kidneys process it you will wee it out and your weight will drop. You may also have a stall at about 2 weeks and again when you start eating solid food. All completely normal, just stick to your eating plan and it will be OK

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Beachesbabe
Beachesbabe

Female

PostSubject: Weight Gain after op????   Weight Gain after op???? EmptyThu 28 Aug 2014, 10:22 pm

Hi I had my sleeve done on Monday 25th August, no complications and recovery seemed ok. I did experience some low blood pressure for which they pumped me full of fluids. My question to anyone is that I have gained weight???? I went into surgery after 2 weeks on opti weighing 92kg and after my release yesterday I weighed myself this morning and i am 97….. not what i was expecting!
I have been following the post op diet to the letter. I haven't had any vomiting but I haven't pushed it either. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am hopping like hell it is just fluid and will go but???Weight Gain after op???? 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight Gain after op????   Weight Gain after op???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight Gain after op????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: