Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
krakow57
Part of the furniture
krakow57

Female
Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2016-03-24

Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully)   Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully) EmptyMon 11 Jul 2016, 4:48 am

Hi CBear 70 and welcome!

I was only obese for 2 years, and this was enough to put me in a pre-diabetic state and beginning of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver disease. High cholesterol, high BP.

For me, it was the best decision to make, as I could see myself doubling my weight in little over 2 years time (2014-2016). I had massive, rapid weight gain, some of it due to my thyroid conditions, but I can't blame this all on my thyroid disease.

I actually did not even do much research on WLS, I spoke with someone who had bypass done, and she looks and feels fantastic, so I went to the surgeon she had her op with.

I read up a bit of info on WLS on the internet, didn't even know about any forums for WLS, until 3 weeks post op.

I just wrote down my questions and any concerns, and took this list with me to my first appointment.

My first appointment was my medical history, explanation why a band would not be a good idea for me, or bypass. Gastric Sleeve was suggested. I was given a big folder with all the necessary information.

I had to have myriads of tests done, see team's endocrinologist, bariatric psychologist and Dietician.

The surgical team have meetings each week to discuss each patient, and give recommendations and voice any concerns. Being compliant is very important to them, as this is a type of surgery that compliance with both pre-op and post-op care plan is a Must!

Even though I was then below the recommended BMI, my surgeon gave me the go ahead, but I then found out re my thyroid disease, so my op had to be put on hold for 9 months, to stabilise my thyroid.

I too have top BUPA cover, so I requested a private room, and got it.

I have no regrets, and I am so glad that I was finally operated on 8th March 2016.

Best of luck to you and best wishes!
Back to top Go down
Ree84
Ree84

Female
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully)   Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully) EmptyMon 11 Jul 2016, 4:40 am

Hi and welcome CBear70!

It can be a real battle can't it. All the ups and downs can be hard to deal with. You're on your way now though - good luck :) Unicorn
Back to top Go down
CBear70

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-07-11

PostSubject: Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully)   Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully) EmptyMon 11 Jul 2016, 3:23 am

Hello everyone ,
Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully) 355206
I've been lurking around on here for a few months now , on and off , reading everyone stories.

my story,
I'm 46 , married with two sons, 21 and 19 , live in Brisbane , current weight is 116.2 , BMI around 44 , been overweight or obese since my pregnancies , had gestational diabetes, two csections, I've got high BP , high cholesterol and am prediabetic.   My family has heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes. Not good , is it?

My wonderful GP recommended the procedure to me about 2 years ago , (she's had it done herself , with amazing results to her health) , but I was in denial about my weight, and thought " I can do it myself" - well , I sort of can , but then gain it back , plus more.

I've been battling my weight for nearly  20 years and I'm over it , I want to move forward, and be healthier , and eventually get my tummy tuck that I've wanted for nearly 20 years too , I have massive muscle separtation , and it just hangs - gross.

I've tried Weight watchers, Optifast (did really well on this and felt amazing , but so hard to stick to) , CSIRO total wellbeing , Tony Fergsuon (worked here for 2 year and had free products , and gained weight!!!! )

my number one fear is diabetes complications or a massive heart attack , so , the time has come to take this seriously.

For the past year , I've been following people who've had the sleeve on instagram , they're amazing, I've done lots of research ,watched loads of youtube videos (some good , some not so good)  I feel mentally ready now. When I think about the op , I'm a bit scared, but also excited about changing my health and my life.

My surgeon might be Dr Michael Hatzifotis , and I've read really great things about him , ( I haven't met him yet, but he operated on my GP and two of my close friends) .

I've had top hospital with BUPA for the past two years, so fully covered , so I'm ready to do this.

Looking forward to getting to know you all more!!!

any advice, or what to expect at the first surgeon appointment will be much appreciated!

wishing you all the best in health and happiness :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully)   Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully) Empty

Back to top Go down

Finally made the decision!!!! Brisbane sleever to be (hopefully)
Page 1 of 1