Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just another "Newbie" with a question :)

Go down 
+2
Changed Mind
WondaWendy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Heidi
Part of the furniture
Heidi

Female
Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2010-10-29

Just another "Newbie" with a question :) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just another "Newbie" with a question :)   Just another "Newbie" with a question :) EmptyFri 11 Apr 2014, 11:10 pm

Hi Wendy,

I think it's great you are taking a proactive step, and I do think the sleeve is a much better option than the band.

I was sleeved over 3 years ago and have lost all my excess weight.

I think it's good to get balanced opinions, but remember a lot of the success stories don't tend to hang around here anymore.  They sort of just get on with life.  I have only just dropped back in recently.  So a lot of the people who haven't had success are here, rightfully, seeking answers and to find others in the same situation for support.

I think it's important to hear their stories and understand what went wrong.  I wish the ladies below all the best and I wish you all the best on your journey x
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Thanks and a Decision   Just another "Newbie" with a question :) EmptyWed 09 Apr 2014, 3:47 am

Thanks everyone for your replies and PM's,

I've noticed that all the regrets seem to be due to complications rather than from the change in lifestyle and I really feel for those of you who have not had a successful journey.  I hope things continue to improve for you over time.

I have done loads of research and am feeling pretty comfortable with my decision now.  I saw my GP today and she was surprised but supportive. As I'm going to try and get it done over the big school holidays in December/January, I have time to get my head in the right place for it between now and then (or back out if I do actually change my mind).

Before I began my research (which was supposed to be about gastric banding) I was pretty anti-sleeve due its permanency but I kept coming across things about the sleeve procedure.  The number of Australian success stories combined with the potential loss of gherlin (hunger hormone) has ended up changing my mind about the sleeve procedure and I now feel it will be more suitable for my situation than the band. Another big factor for me was that whilst you still eat far less than you did with the sleeve, your stomach opening is still the same so you can eat more normally than with the band (once the initial recovery time has passed).

Thanks again to those who replied :)
Back to top Go down
Ottopia
Part of the furniture
Ottopia

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2014-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Just another "Newbie" with a question :)   Just another "Newbie" with a question :) EmptyTue 08 Apr 2014, 10:24 pm

Hi there
This reply is my opinion only but I am speaking from my heart and from personal experience. The band nearly killed me with complications that saw me very very I'll-and in 3 years of the band I lost less weight than I have in nearly 3 months of the sleeve.
The band didn't help at all with hunger.....I was starving all the time. The vomiting was gross and I could feel the bloody thing constantly.

Now that my fantastic surgeon had righted the mess made by the band and it's complications and I have a sleeve, I am happy healthy and feeling fabulous.
Private message me if you want more info
Regards
Llyr
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Just another "Newbie" with a question :)   Just another "Newbie" with a question :) EmptyTue 08 Apr 2014, 1:08 pm

I've had lapband/sleeve/bypass and bypass revision.

Out of all of my WLS friends that have had lapband, 80% have gone on to have the sleeve and had a better success rate and improved quality of life.

My experience with the lapband was inability to eat healthy foods.  Want a salad?  Forget it - no way you can get nice soft lettuce down. Most meats are out unless you know they have been slow cooked to death and they are falling apart so you can put a shred of meat in, chew it until it's mush, wait a minute then have another shred. 

You actually learn to buy those plastic sandwich bags to keep in your bag, car, home, friends, work as you projectile vomit regularly, wait for the pain to subside, try to eat some more because your starving or just give up so you end up in frustration.  I know some bandits would slam me for saying this, but I speak from personal experience and added in some girlfriends.

Sure I know some successful bandits - they look great.  They get to spend their time racing to the toilet to vomit up every bite (even a crisp can cause it).  I imagine their dental bill is going to be huge as they realise the enamel is wearing away from the stomach acids from constant vomiting.  Sometimes they get fluid taken out so they can enjoy their holidays or a special event coming up then moan how they have put on 5kgs in a week... why?  Because they haven't learned proper & healthy eating habits - just how to deal with restriction and vomiting. 

But if you are not sure, then go with it - it's a stepping stone and it is reversible.  You can get a taste of what life is like with WLS.  Maybe even investigate the balloon - its less invasive although I have never heard of any surgeon in Australia doing it but could be worth researching so you can try alternatives before putting yourself on the surgery table :-)
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Just another "Newbie" with a question :)   Just another "Newbie" with a question :) EmptyTue 08 Apr 2014, 9:56 am

Hi Wendy, I'm one of those who has had a nightmare from the sleeve, and subsequent bypass to help with those complications, however if there is one thing I'm grateful for, it's that I didn't have a band. I started off wanting that til my surgeon said if I want to lose weight the sleeve is really my only option. As with anything you may find some successful banders out there but the main thing I see in the halls of the hospital when I'm there is slipped bands, or complications from subsequent wls like a sleeve or bypass, due to band damage. I cannot morally standby and let anyone conceive of a band. Remembering I'm a sleeve disaster.....19 months later I'm bed bound most of the time, still on a feeding tube and been hospitalised 19 times with 11 surgeries, 20 endoscopies and many other procedures so aside dying, it's probably as bad as it gets but If I can say go for the sleeve, then you know I'm giving you an objective view. In all my time on these sites, I can honestly say the majority of successes, and fewest complications, are with the sleeve. Like any surgery, it is tough and there will be days you deeply regret it but I truly have seen so many happy sleevers I have to still believe in it. Good luck in your decision.
Back to top Go down
Changed Mind

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Just another "Newbie" with a question :)   Just another "Newbie" with a question :) EmptyTue 08 Apr 2014, 6:46 am

Hi Wonda wendy,
I am one of the ones who totally regrets their decision.  My first week post op was a dream run and then everything went down hill.  Like all post op people you are put on anti reflux meds, in my case  i had an allergic reaction  and went into acute renal failure which at 12 weeks i am still getting over.  Then for the last 8 weeks i have had severe reflux and nausea, a side effect of the sleeve, so my run has been one horrible nightmare....  there are so many people on here who had a dream run but for me if i could reverse  it i would.  I may have been overweight but i was happy but at the moment this is just the most frustrating time of my life and i HATE it. If i knew what i know now i would have tried lapband at least if things go pear shaped you can have it removed....
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Just another "Newbie" with a question :)   Just another "Newbie" with a question :) EmptyTue 08 Apr 2014, 3:45 am

Hi all,

I'm a 42y.o. primary teacher from Brisbane and have been overweight most of my life. I've tried lots of things, diets, exercise and even hypnosis which was very successful and I lost 26kg in a year.  However, I always regain the weight over time.  I have been seriously considered getting gastric banding done and had pretty much made up my mind to go and see my doctor to start the ball rolling - My reasoning for banding was that it is a reversible procedure, but after watching a show on telly called embarrassing fat bodies and then spending some time doing Google research, I have come to the conclusion that whilst the gastric sleeve is not reversible, it seems to provide a more normal lifestyle as far as eating goes.  I love and enjoy eating healthy food but just want to eat less and not feel hungry all the time.  What I would like to know is... Does anyone out there regret getting their gastric sleeve done and, if so, why?  It is the permanency that I find hard to deal with but I am feeling pretty close to taking the step anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just another "Newbie" with a question :)   Just another "Newbie" with a question :) Empty

Back to top Go down

Just another "Newbie" with a question :)
Page 1 of 1