Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Reflux   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 19 Sep 2014, 10:52 am

Thanks for that Nini, I definitely won't be eating or drinking close to bedtime. If anything happens to me I expect my nurse husband sleeping (or should I say snoring) next to me to jump into action.

Check out my blog for some riveting diary entries:    http://willowgirl62.blogspot.com.au/
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 19 Sep 2014, 10:41 am

Sometimes you can develop temporary food intolerances after VSG surgery which can cause diarrhoea. Keep an eye on what you eat that triggers it. Often it is a lactose intolerance, high sugar or fat content that is the culprit. Hope it settles soon for you.

Willowgirl, If you have reflux it is important to make sure you don't eat or drink for an hour before going to bed to prevent choking.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Reflux   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 19 Sep 2014, 10:36 am

Last night I had reflux for the first time really, it was dreadful and I couldn't sleep, started to feel really off and got what I think is called the slimeys.
I ended up having a Nexium at 2.00 am and propped myself up on endless pillows and within half an hour I did feel so much better and slept for the rest of the night.
I am now going to change my Nexium to night time instead of morning and hopefully my sleep will be better. I hope this is just a passing thing as I don't want to be on reflux meds forever.
Fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Lucygoose
Lucygoose

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2014-05-31

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 19 Sep 2014, 10:16 am

I'm so glad I found this post!

I didn't move my bowels for 18 days post op!  Even then it required multiple suppositories, coloxyl and senna and lactulose to get it going.  

My bowels were normal for 1 week and then this morning I have woken up with violent diarrhoea.  It doesn't matter what I eat or drink, it goes straight through me.  I feel a bit nauseous with it so not sure if it is just my bowel finally emptying out or if I've caught a bit of a hug.  Either way ATM least the bowels moving
Back to top Go down
Sneezy

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-10-20

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Forgot   Diarrhoea post op EmptyMon 15 Sep 2014, 5:03 am

Forgot to add that with nexium I take Gaviscon double strength....works a treat.
Back to top Go down
Sneezy

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-10-20

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Diarrhea/ constipation   Diarrhoea post op EmptyMon 15 Sep 2014, 5:00 am

I don't think it will EVER be the same. If it's not one....it's the other.

On a good note....I am now 77 kgs from 105kgs at 4 months.
Reflux a tiny bit better....that was the worst part of it. Toilet time close second!!!! Still, no regrets.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Proably too much information   Diarrhoea post op EmptySun 14 Sep 2014, 12:22 am

There is nothing worse than being constipated, it is so uncomfortable and painful when you feel you need to go but nothing will come.
I would recommend Benefibre twice a day mixed into your drink or your normal foods. It completely disappears like magic so is easy to take.
If you go to the loo and it is a bit explosive then welcome it, at least you are getting cleaned out.
I haven't found that I need to go to the toilet all the time with diarrhea but when I go it comes fast (never trust a fart).
Make sure you drink lots of fluids and it is really hard, I can't believe how hard some times.
I have a goal of two drink bottles of water per day and I rarely drink more than half of one. I do up my fluids with a cup of coffee, skim milk, or flavoured milk or cordial which all go down so much better.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptySat 13 Sep 2014, 10:58 pm

My friend's husband had the sleeve back at Christmas time and she told me that he doesn't have a lot of trouble in that department, so there is hope. I am hoping to be one of the lucky ones as I'm having no issues on Opti in either direction, ie; too easy or too difficult, lol.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptySat 13 Sep 2014, 2:03 pm

Sadly, no.  It will be up to your diet and how your body reacts.  Been like this forever for me so I constantly have precautions.
Back to top Go down
sleeverella
sleeverella

Female
Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2014-08-25

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptySat 13 Sep 2014, 1:57 pm

Uh-Oh.    Garfield99, please tell me it settles down pretty quickly.  Especially the runny part.  I will be on the school run with other peoples kids too a week or so after leaving hospital.  And its a 25 minute drive.  It will be a run alright!!
I will definitely get some Immodium.  Thanks for this tip!!
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptySat 13 Sep 2014, 1:00 pm

Things will never be the same again after.  You will need to ensure you drink enough liquids every day or you will end up with constipation.  With diarrhea just make sure you don't end up dehydrated.  If you do, make sure you have Hydralite (available in powder form to mix up, icy poles or pre-mixed bottles), poweraide (bottles or also available in powdered form) or gatoraide etc

You will need to keep on stock Imodium to stop the diarrhea  and also some over the counter solutions to get yourself going again.  Find what is right for you but sometimes it depends on the situation.  There are tablets you can take at night time and in the morning it has softened enough to expel (you will need to drink enough fluid to assist with that too).  Other times you need to go but can't without pain so you may need the liquid gel insertion style which works a treat so it doesn't rip you a new one.

Just remember, you won't be as regular as you used to be as you are no longer consuming the same quantities or types of foods you used to eat and you will have all types of different things to get used too :-)
Back to top Go down
bmtalwalsh
bmtalwalsh

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-08-10

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 12 Sep 2014, 11:39 pm

Oh good, nothing out of the ordinary by the sounds, good to hear. Good an bad! :P
Back to top Go down
Jarrah
Part of the furniture
Jarrah

Female
Number of posts : 911
Registration date : 2013-02-13

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 12 Sep 2014, 2:04 pm

The runs were a stinky and common thing for me post-op. Have to say that I have more diverse bowl activity since the op ... but I just look at it as "a price to be paid" for being lighter ... ie a small price to pay :)
Diarrhoea post op 697586 Diarrhoea post op 63412
Back to top Go down
nightowl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 12 Sep 2014, 12:08 pm

Yep, I was "liquid in - liquid out" for a week or so postop. I wouldn't've dared break wind unless over a toilet.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Yes   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 12 Sep 2014, 12:02 pm

Yes never trust a fart in the early stages.
Back to top Go down
veronica simcoe
Part of the furniture
veronica simcoe

Female
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 12 Sep 2014, 11:00 am

yep, did, had it off and on for awhile
Back to top Go down
bmtalwalsh
bmtalwalsh

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-08-10

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op EmptyFri 12 Sep 2014, 10:41 am

Not the nicest topic... But did anyone else experience diarrhoea post op? I had the sleeve done tues and have had it since wed afternoon. Not badly with cramps but diarrhoea all the same. TIA!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Diarrhoea post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diarrhoea post op   Diarrhoea post op Empty

Back to top Go down

Diarrhoea post op
Page 1 of 1