Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptyThu 17 May 2012, 1:36 pm

Well done! Great news!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sydneyinsurancebroker.com.au
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female
Number of posts : 1211
Registration date : 2012-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptyThu 17 May 2012, 12:36 pm

Just thought I would share my really good news re diabetic meds. I have been off all diabetic medication since the surgery (one month ago) and so far so good. My sugar levels consistently read between 5.4 and 5.9. This may be just very slightly on the high side for the readings pre-meals but I'm absolutely thrilled. At this stage I can't foresee that I will need to start meds again.
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptyThu 17 May 2012, 12:36 pm

Just thought I would share my really good news re diabetic meds. I have been off all diabetic medication since the surgery (one month ago) and so far so good. My sugar levels consistently read between 5.4 and 5.9. This may be just very slightly on the high side for the readings pre-meals but I'm absolutely thrilled. At this stage I can't foresee that I will need to start meds again.
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm

That is truly fascinating that Doctors are calling it diabetic surgery. I read the other day there are predictions of an explosion in the number of Australians with diabetes. The surgery is certainly drastic and has its own inherent risks but the long term benefits far outweigh those risks I think.
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 1:58 pm

Wow, well done to all of you for getting rid of the diabetes and meds. Truly impressive. I really hope I have the same success.

Interestingly my doctor told me that in some medical circles, weight loss surgery is now being referred to as diabetic surgery due to the incredible success with eliminating diabetes.

Thankyou all for the replies.
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 1:43 pm

Well done. That is a great result!

LittleMo wrote:

I stopped taking Diaformin 3 days before surgery and have not had any medication for diabetes since last November. I have perfect blood sugars most days, although stress (at work) does spike it.

My doc is cautious and says I am not in the clear yet, but if I have perfect blood sugars and take no medication, then thats good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
LittleMo

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptySun 15 Apr 2012, 1:22 pm

I stopped taking Diaformin 3 days before surgery and have not had any medication for diabetes since last November. I have perfect blood sugars most days, although stress (at work) does spike it.

My doc is cautious and says I am not in the clear yet, but if I have perfect blood sugars and take no medication, then thats good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012, 3:58 am

The cost to Medicare for diabetes related illnesses must be huge. I am so glad my diabetes is gone. A friend of mine who is really undisciplined lost some toes, again, last week due to his diabetes. He refuses to do anything the Doctors tell him and so he keeps having to go back into hospital for more surgery. Sad.

gottarhyme wrote:
I was diagnosed as 'pre diabetic' before I was sleeved with sugars of between 8 and 9. After the sleeve I am in the normal range, so my diabetes was controlled by diet. If I hadn't had this surgery, I would have been type 2 for sure.

A lot of Diabetes educators are having to do a serious rethink about how losing weight will affect those of us who suffer type 2, according to my surgeon. There is overwhelming evidence to suggest that after surgery, 90 percent of us go into remission and never need medication again! I hope you are one of those statistics!
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptyFri 13 Apr 2012, 1:14 am

I was diagnosed as 'pre diabetic' before I was sleeved with sugars of between 8 and 9. After the sleeve I am in the normal range, so my diabetes was controlled by diet. If I hadn't had this surgery, I would have been type 2 for sure.

A lot of Diabetes educators are having to do a serious rethink about how losing weight will affect those of us who suffer type 2, according to my surgeon. There is overwhelming evidence to suggest that after surgery, 90 percent of us go into remission and never need medication again! I hope you are one of those statistics!
Back to top Go down
ozrick33
Part of the furniture
ozrick33

Male

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 11:53 pm

Hi Strawberry. I too had type 2 diabetes. I was on Diabex and Diaformin. They checked my BSL constantly in hospital and it was low so they told me not to take my meds. I went and saw my GP post op and she checked my BSL and again it was great and she told me to stay off the medication. Saw Dr. Taylor after that and he too confirmed not to take it. It said we need a 3 month range of tests to confirm I am no longer diabetic but said that should be the case. I am still not taking any medication.

Post op I pretty much drank what I could get down easily. Lot of soup, water that had been flavoured with diet cordial and some juice. Don't forget to add some fibre powder to the drinks too.

I had the surgery with the aim of getting rid of the diabetes and its looks like that has happened. I could not be happier!
Back to top Go down
mj78
mj78

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 2:59 pm

Hi Strawberry chick.

I was on 2g of Diabex-xr pre-op for type 2 diabetes. The night of my surgery, my bsl was 9, the days after they were perfect (5.2, 4.9 5.6 etc). The surgeon witheld my diabex-xr whilst in hospital and I had no probs i.e no hypos etc. on day 6 post op I took my 2g of diabex (thinking "I should get back to taking my meds") and felt horrible, got irritabel and felt like my BSLs were too low (forgot to take glucometer out with me). Spoke to GP and he said to stay off Diabex for a week and have blood test. Had blood test yesterday and wil get results next week.

I know other people on this site have eventually come off of their diabetes meds, even off insulin - so there is hope! I'll let you know the verdict next week! Your GP whould send you for a blood test to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Strawberrychick
Top Poster
Top Poster
Strawberrychick

Female

PostSubject: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? EmptyThu 12 Apr 2012, 5:54 am

Hi everyone

I'm getting sleeved in a few days and had a couple of questions I'm hoping someone may be able to answer.

Firstly, I have Type II diabetes and take Diabex. My GP said not to worry about taking it post surgery but to keep an eye on my blood sugar levels because firstly, I'll have a very low intake of food (liquid) and secondly, because the pills are enormous.

I was wondering if there's anyone else in this situation and what you did about your Diabetes meds post-surgery? Was it an issue for your sugar levels?

Also on the topic of Diabetes, my dietician said that in the free fluids stage I should basically just drink anything I can get down because a lot of people have trouble getting adequate fluid in this stage. She gave me lists of ideas of what to drink of course but she said for example that if I can drink down some milkshake then that's fine, just make milkshakes and drink them and not be too worried about my blood sugar levels (obviously I wouldn't normally drink any milkshake for this reason) because if I find that's something I can drink, that's more important. Again my GP said that's fine just keep an eye on my blood sugar levels. She said because of low intake of calories I might even experience a blood sugar low.

Again just wondering if anyone else with Type II Diabetes was concerned about this post-op, or what you drank and if it was an issue at all, or how your sugar levels were?

Thankyou all for your help :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?   Diabetics - taking tablets post-op?  Blood sugar levels post-op? Empty

Back to top Go down

Diabetics - taking tablets post-op? Blood sugar levels post-op?
Page 1 of 1