AuthorMessage
Kati
Sponsor
Kati

Female
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-11-03

diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something Empty
PostSubject: Re: diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something   diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 4:10 am

Yes, I was one of those people who became sensitive to milk - never worked out whether it was the casein, lactose or what exactly caused the problem. It has gone away in time, [thank heavens] but for a while there I was living on the loo, and feeling very unwell....Oh my golly it was baaad!

I found two things really helpful: 1) my dietician and 2) gastrolyte/electrolyte from the chemist really helped me feel better

Immodium/Loperamide or other anti-diarrhea drugs were not much use to me when things got really bad.

I also had to modify my diet - along the lines that Lindabinda describes below. Not that you feel like eating much!

Best of luck 2ndtimemum - this is certainly not easy to cope with for an extended period, take it easy!

Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something   diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 1:52 am

Quite a lot of people do become lactose-sensitive postop from what I've read. I have switched to Lactaid myself to see if it makes me feel better.
Back to top Go down
2ndtimemum

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something   diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 11:44 am

I found this thread earlier today because I was experiencing the same problem. I ended up taking immodium after my 9th trip to the loo so I could get to my dietician appointment.

She said it could be a couple of things causing it, but her best guess was the liquid in = liquid out theory. Other possibilities are the 2 berrocas (sp?) I have been having each day which might be too harsh on my baby tum or I may have become sensitive to dairy. It has happened twice straight after having frozen yogurt so maybe it had too much sugar??

I am back to work tomorrow so I hope I don't have it again. I have got quite dehydrated though. I just haven't been able to get enough water in to compensate.

Dietician actually recommended taking benefibre each day which I thought was bizarre but apparently it binds as well as softening and keeping your tummy regular. Haven't had the guts (LOL) to try it today, maybe after work tomorrow.

Hope this info helps someone x
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something   diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something EmptyMon 10 Jan 2011, 6:51 am

oh my goodness Linda thank you so much!

my mum ended up buying me some gastrolyte or hydrolyte (one of the lytes anyway) and dropping that and anti poo drugs off an hour ago (so far so good)!
and taking my little boy for me

can't eat yet but am trying to drink - hard with a tiny tum

i was passing the liquids as soon as i had drunk them but at the moment they've stayed in yay

thanks again
mel
ps great for the weight loss LOL
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something   diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something EmptyMon 10 Jan 2011, 2:57 am

Hey Mel,
I can give you info on diarrhoea, I do telephone triages for it ALL the time and know off pat pretty well what to do.

Drink as much water as you like, you need to be replacing the fluid so at least 8-12 glasses ( or equivalent)

If you don't want to drink plain water it is okay to have juice or soft drink or cordial but break it down to 1:4

Complex carbs need to be increased so dry toast, saltine type crackers,potato,rice, chicken without skin..... that type of food.

Avoid spicy, fried foods, lollies,caffeinated beverages, fruits and fibrous vegetables.

If you are losing a LOT of fluid from diarrhoea you may need to have oral rehydration solution to replace lost electrolytes.

Also make sure you're not dehydrated. Signs and symptoms of dehydration can be.....

not passing urine for up to 12 hours
dark concentrated urine
feeling lightheaded or giddy when you stand up
feeling dry in the mouth
thirst
just feeling plain horrible

If you feel really terrible or are having fevers with the diarrhoea you should either see your GP or call health direct and they can run through an assessment for you.

Hope that is a bit helpful for you and that you are soon feeling a bit better.
Linda :)
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something   diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something EmptyMon 10 Jan 2011, 1:34 am

Hi all
I'm 5 months out and have a lovely tummy bug - or ate something, not sure
But every time i drink it comes out the other end

What do you suggest i use today - have got docs app tomorrow

should i have plain water / water with cordial etc etc

i'm not able to go out so need to have stuff in the house (no gatorade etc here)

also while i'm here, do you know if drug effects are different with the sleeve? i have a terrible fear of flying so need to take xanax - should i take a tester or just take it as normal on the plane?

thanks heaps
mel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something   diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something Empty

Back to top Go down

diarrhoea - ugh when do i need to do something
Page 1 of 1