13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Kiwi

Female
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptySat 28 Jun 2008, 9:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everybody,

Not sure what I am doing as I am not very computer literate. I tried to make the font size bigger and couldn't even manage that!!

I am having my sleeve operation 17th July. I am really nervous. I realise this potentially is either the worst or best decision I have ever made. I am excited one minute and the next minute think that I am absolutely crazy for even thinking about having this operation. I have heaps of questions that I am searching for answers to.

Well I am going to try and send this, lets hope it works.

Feel free to ask any questions
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyTue 01 Jul 2008, 9:48 am

Applesauce, Unfortunately my health insurance does not cover elective surgery. I am not 100% sure but I don't think that you can get health insurance in New Zealand that does. It certainly is a huge amount of money, but I am trusting that it is going to be worth it.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyTue 01 Jul 2008, 9:39 am

Wow Jezzybel you certainly have made some huge life changes. Giving up food and smoking almost at the same time, I really am impressed. Neither one is easy on there own and you have done both. I can assure you everyday does get easier when you give up smoking. Can't comment on the food side of things yet.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyTue 01 Jul 2008, 9:20 am

kiwi can you not take out private health insurance in nz to cover it and just wait out the 12 months ? Not suggesting you do that now and wait, just curious how it works over there. I agree tho with the one shot better to take the 100% of the sleeve over the not guarantee with the band.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyTue 01 Jul 2008, 7:50 am

Kiwi, I totally get what you mean, I stopped smoking 2 1/2 weeks ago, and from time to time I still go outside with my man and a cup of coffee and hold a cigarette, without smoking it. Silly huh? But going through the motions makes me feel like I'm not missing out. According to behaviourists, it takes 6 weeks to break a habit, so 4 1/2 weeks more and I should have the hang of this... :)
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 9:25 pm

Good morning, Kiwi
To answer your questions, we usually just hit reply - it's easy to read the messages to see what a reference is to, if needed. Having said that, I'm not sure if there's a "right" way or not!
As to when to go back to work - I'm sure a lot depends on how fast you heal, what type of work you do, and all that stuff. If I was doing an office job, I'm sure that I could go back to work next week, but I'd probably be extremely tired at the end of the day. I guess you need to take the doctor's advice, but temper it with how you feel at the time.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 7:55 pm

Jezzybel wrote:
Hey Kiwi and welcome,
I had my sleeve done 10 days ago, and I'm not feeling physically hungry. At the same time though, I'm still fighting the psychological habit of "I'm watching TV / sad / reading / it's been a few hours, I want something to eat". That's strictly habitual though, and not because I'm FEELING hungry, if that makes sense. Applesauce is right though, it seems to be a very fine line between not-quite-full and whoops-it's-coming-back-up. But I imagine that with more time, I'll adjust to both those things :)

Hi Jezzybel

I think for me breaking the Psychological habit will be hard too. Sounds silly but when I gave up smoking 7 years ago. I broke the Nicotine habit way before I broke the smoking habit. Hmm not sure if that makes sense or not. The more I talk about this op on here the more excited I get. Thats a good thing aye.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 7:48 pm

applesauce wrote:
Kiwi both my husband and I have a sleeve I had mione 19th November last year he two weeks later. Neither of us have any hunger, we get this odd empty feeling on occasion. Our biggest problem is knowing we are full tho as it took ages to work out as as little as a teaspoon can be the difference from comfortably full to feeling like you just had christmas dinner ie the entire damn turkey hehehe. When they remove 90% of your stomach they take away the ability for the production of the grehlin (SP?) hormone that is the one that tells you that you are hungry and is produced in your stomach.

Question if you do not mind, how common is the sleeve over there kiwi land and can you have it done as a public patient ?:)

applesauce

Hi Applesauce

Thanks for your reply. I feel much more reassured now.

In reply to your question. The sleeve is a relatively new procedure here. I am the 10th sleeve op my surgeon has done, and he claims to be the most experienced in NZ at this operation. He has however had a lot of experience in other weight loss surgical procedures. There is little funding available through the public system for people to have this operation paid for through the public system, However they do an occasional one. I would never qualify for this as I am not enough overweight to even be considered.

I am having this operation privately and will be in a private hospital.. I have been quoted $20,000 to $22,000 to have this done. Eeek Thats the 1st time I written that figure down. The cost is a main reason I changed my mind on having a band.
My research showed that a lot of people have bands removed and end up having a sleeve. I can only afford to have one go at this!!!

Nice to hear from you. Feel free to ask any questions at all.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 7:35 pm

chrisbychic wrote:
No, Kiwi, not feeling hungry at all - in fact, can't believe how little it takes to make me feel full! I'm only 8 days out, though. I must admit, though, that's one of the things that I wondered about to. Rest assured, I've asked this question before, and the answer's the same - no hunger. Well, hungry enough to know it's time to eat, but not starving I have to have it now hunger!
Chris

Hi Chris.

Thanks for that. Please tell me, am I replying to these messages correctly. I click on quote, type my message, then push send. Or should i just go straight to reply. Hope this makes sense. I think during my recovery I will practice my computer skills.

My Doctor has signed me off work for 2 weeks after surgery. Having had your op 8 days ago. Do you think this is enough time off. It seems quite soon to return to work after major surgery. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 12:12 pm

Hey Kiwi and welcome,
I had my sleeve done 10 days ago, and I'm not feeling physically hungry. At the same time though, I'm still fighting the psychological habit of "I'm watching TV / sad / reading / it's been a few hours, I want something to eat". That's strictly habitual though, and not because I'm FEELING hungry, if that makes sense. Applesauce is right though, it seems to be a very fine line between not-quite-full and whoops-it's-coming-back-up. But I imagine that with more time, I'll adjust to both those things :)
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 11:39 am

Kiwi both my husband and I have a sleeve I had mione 19th November last year he two weeks later. Neither of us have any hunger, we get this odd empty feeling on occasion. Our biggest problem is knowing we are full tho as it took ages to work out as as little as a teaspoon can be the difference from comfortably full to feeling like you just had christmas dinner ie the entire damn turkey hehehe. When they remove 90% of your stomach they take away the ability for the production of the grehlin (SP?) hormone that is the one that tells you that you are hungry and is produced in your stomach.

Question if you do not mind, how common is the sleeve over there kiwi land and can you have it done as a public patient ?:)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 11:22 am

No, Kiwi, not feeling hungry at all - in fact, can't believe how little it takes to make me feel full! I'm only 8 days out, though. I must admit, though, that's one of the things that I wondered about to. Rest assured, I've asked this question before, and the answer's the same - no hunger. Well, hungry enough to know it's time to eat, but not starving I have to have it now hunger!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 11:19 am

chrisbychic wrote:
Hi there
Yes, your post came up okay, so success!
Welcome to the site - everyone here has been really helpful.
I just had my sleeve done last Monday, and am at home again and feeling pretty good.
It took me ages to decide that weight loss surgery was for me, and then ages more to decide on the sleeve, but I researched, joined groups and forums, and asked lots of questions.
Now it's done and I'm happy with my decision.
Good luck on your journey.
Chris

Hi Chris. Its great to talk with someone who has had the sleeve, and happy with it.

Just wondering do you feel hungry at all. I have this tiny concern that I am going to be constantly hungry. One of my reasons for having the op is I am fed up with always being hungry when on diets trying to lose weight. Sorry if this is a silly question.

Take care

Kiwi
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 11:13 am

ssteph2342 wrote:
Hi Kiwi,

Welcome to our group. I know exactly how you're feeling. I have got 4 more days to go and like you one minute I am so excited and can't wait and the next I wonder if I'm doing the right thing and am I really big enough for this surgery.

I look in the mirror and I don't like what I see but I also don't think I look that huge. That is until I see a picture of myself. I went to lunch on Friday with some work people as a girl in my department is leaving and she was taking photos and when I looked at them on her camera I thought I looked enormous. And that was good enough answer for me.

Ask away any questions because everyone here has lots of wonderful, helpful advice.

Good luck with your op.

steph :flower:

Hi Steph.

You must be real excited and nervous now. You are so close to the big day.

I also sometimes think I am maybe not big enough for the op. I have however been a lot heavier and are regaining the weight I lost. The battle is endless so thats
the deciding factor for me.

All the best with your op. Will be thinking of you.

Kiwi
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 11:08 am

oldfart wrote:
G'day Kiwi,
There are many people on the "sleeve road trip" but from what I have read and the single person I know personally that had plenty of problems with the lapband I have decided that this is the best option as far as I am concerned; but like yourself I am not sure one day to the next..... I keep re thinking in my mind but only on whether I can do it not if I need to do it for one look in the mirror tells me I have to do something, and a bottle of scotch, a hot bath and a chainsaw are not viable options ......... but it is the sensibel and right way I feel to gain at least some semblence of normality for me, I have to have the kick start and finality of this operation to regain some control..........
What is the worst that can happen (apart from not being able to stomach food anymore!:lol:) though I have just had some bacon and eggs for brekky and I was thinking boy I will miss this..... but I dont have too really as I can still have things in moderation, I will only miss the amount that I consume now, so that has to be a great thing for anyone who struggles with overeating ......... correct me if I am wrong here people as I would like to know before hand eh!!

I am positive this operation will be a great tool for our return to a normal life (one that takes up less room on the bus seat!)

Your so right there. I catch a glimpse of myself in a shop window and are reassured that this is the right thing. I think though that the finality of this operation is the scary bit. There aint no turning back once you had it done. They cant exactly
give you your stomach back a few months down the track if you don't like it.

I do wonder about the physiological side of missing the big pig outs on yummy food, but I am sure over time I will adjust to the small quantities..... Guess we wont have much choice.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptyMon 30 Jun 2008, 10:58 am

Hayley wrote:
Hi and Welcome Kiwi!

Great to have you along. Do you mind if I put your op date on the calendar? If not, let me know and I will remove it.
I have found it very useful for everyone to know who is going in or their op and when, and as we have just had 4 at about the same time, it has helped alot.
Please dont be afraid to pop in here if your feeling those nerves, are a bit scared or just want some company. There is usually someone here that will answer any questions and help with some advice.
P.S, when you want to change your font for a message, you need to highlight the text first then choose your font etc...
I hope that helps, if not, please let me know!
Welcome again, hope to get to know you more very soon!!
:cheers:
Hayley.

Thanks Hayley. Sorry for the delay in my reply. Still finding my way around. No problem with putting my name on the calendar. Makes it kinda real when its on there.

I have a question. I understand that you can eat extremely small quantities of food once you have had the op. But my question is do you feel hungry all the time or cause your stomach is so small do you feel full and content with small meals.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptySun 29 Jun 2008, 4:36 am

Hi and Welcome Kiwi!

Great to have you along. Do you mind if I put your op date on the calendar? If not, let me know and I will remove it.
I have found it very useful for everyone to know who is going in or their op and when, and as we have just had 4 at about the same time, it has helped alot.
Please dont be afraid to pop in here if your feeling those nerves, are a bit scared or just want some company. There is usually someone here that will answer any questions and help with some advice.
P.S, when you want to change your font for a message, you need to highlight the text first then choose your font etc...
I hope that helps, if not, please let me know!
Welcome again, hope to get to know you more very soon!!
:cheers:
Hayley.
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

Male
Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptySun 29 Jun 2008, 1:45 am

G'day Kiwi,
There are many people on the "sleeve road trip" but from what I have read and the single person I know personally that had plenty of problems with the lapband I have decided that this is the best option as far as I am concerned; but like yourself I am not sure one day to the next..... I keep re thinking in my mind but only on whether I can do it not if I need to do it for one look in the mirror tells me I have to do something, and a bottle of scotch, a hot bath and a chainsaw are not viable options ......... but it is the sensibel and right way I feel to gain at least some semblence of normality for me, I have to have the kick start and finality of this operation to regain some control..........
What is the worst that can happen (apart from not being able to stomach food anymore!:lol:) though I have just had some bacon and eggs for brekky and I was thinking boy I will miss this..... but I dont have too really as I can still have things in moderation, I will only miss the amount that I consume now, so that has to be a great thing for anyone who struggles with overeating ......... correct me if I am wrong here people as I would like to know before hand eh!!

I am positive this operation will be a great tool for our return to a normal life (one that takes up less room on the bus seat!)
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptySun 29 Jun 2008, 12:48 am

Hi Kiwi,

Welcome to our group. I know exactly how you're feeling. I have got 4 more days to go and like you one minute I am so excited and can't wait and the next I wonder if I'm doing the right thing and am I really big enough for this surgery.

I look in the mirror and I don't like what I see but I also don't think I look that huge. That is until I see a picture of myself. I went to lunch on Friday with some work people as a girl in my department is leaving and she was taking photos and when I looked at them on her camera I thought I looked enormous. And that was good enough answer for me.

Ask away any questions because everyone here has lots of wonderful, helpful advice.

Good luck with your op.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptySat 28 Jun 2008, 9:58 pm

Hi there
Yes, your post came up okay, so success!
Welcome to the site - everyone here has been really helpful.
I just had my sleeve done last Monday, and am at home again and feeling pretty good.
It took me ages to decide that weight loss surgery was for me, and then ages more to decide on the sleeve, but I researched, joined groups and forums, and asked lots of questions.
Now it's done and I'm happy with my decision.
Good luck on your journey.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 EmptySat 28 Jun 2008, 9:13 pm

Hi everybody,

Not sure what I am doing as I am not very computer literate. I tried to make the font size bigger and couldn't even manage that!!

I am having my sleeve operation 17th July. I am really nervous. I realise this potentially is either the worst or best decision I have ever made. I am excited one minute and the next minute think that I am absolutely crazy for even thinking about having this operation. I have heaps of questions that I am searching for answers to.

Well I am going to try and send this, lets hope it works.

Feel free to ask any questions
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from New Zealand
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4