applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Hello  from New Zealand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyThu 24 Jul 2008, 8:09 am

the constant buping even with a sip of water does go away. It did drive me nuts for ages tho it was like I drank a litre of coke shaken to death rather than a sip of water hehehehe I find it very hard to get my water down in winter. so my solution is I use one of those soup mugs, like a huge coffee cup. It holds 500ml I pour in 400ml of boiling water just dip a tea bag in it lightly, then fill with skim milk. I make sure I have 4 of these a day. This way I am getting my calcium/milk products for the day and my water in it. When I go over 3 per day I reduce the milk to just a spash. It bearly looks like tea it is that weak so I do not have to worry about it having that bad caffine effect on me and it gets in the water. I tend to get in 5 or 6 a day this way.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyThu 24 Jul 2008, 6:48 am

Not craving anything sweet, never actually had a sweet tooth. My weakness has always been the high fat foods. Takeaways, cheese and crackers, savory stuff. It is real strange how water is the hardest to get down. I used to drink water quite happily now it gives me instant wind pain and I burp after every sip. Don't understand that one at all.

Thanks Nicole. We all doing well and all deserve a pat on the back. We are winners.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyThu 24 Jul 2008, 6:13 am

Oooh, licorice allsorts - yummo! But I'm not brave enough to have them yet.
You're welcome, Kiwi. I actually have more trouble with water than with anything else, so I usually stick to decaf tea and some apple juice. I have also found that I can empty a can of lemonade into a glass and leave it in the fridge to go flat - and it takes about 2 days to get rid of most of the bubbles - and that tastes sweet, if you're craving sweet, and also goes down better than water. Water's so innocuous, you'd think it'd be the easiest thing to go down, wouldn't you?
Chris :afro:
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyThu 24 Jul 2008, 5:53 am

I know this is not the confessions page but as we are all talking about the wrong things to eat....licroce all sorts got the better of me last night....i only had one but it took me about 20 mins to eat it... :lol!: pulled apart the layers then just sucked on them....my hubby just shock his head :lol!: ....but it was good and took my sweet craving away.

Gee your doing well kiwi...5kg in one week.....we could never have imagined that before could we....post op i have lost 9kg in 3 1/2 weeks... but all up i have lost 15kg in just under 7 weeks....that would not have been possible before...so a big pat on the back to you....you must be proud of yourself.

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyThu 24 Jul 2008, 4:43 am

Thanks Chris. What an interesting piece of information that is. Thats so funny. lol I have been sip sip sipping all day, but not getting enough liquids still. The water is going down a little easier today though.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyThu 24 Jul 2008, 3:30 am

Hi Kiwi
That's great news - glad the doc is happy with you, and you're happy with the staples out.
A 5kg loss is terrific - and if you've been keeping up your fluids, like a good girl, then not too much of it would be just fluid.
Oh, and my hubby asked the doc how much the stomach that comes out would weigh, and he said only about 300-400g, so it's not that either.
Face it - you're losing weight! Great, isn't it?
Glad you're feeling good.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: 1st follow up appointment.   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyThu 24 Jul 2008, 2:48 am

Hi everybody, My internet provider is still down so I am still operating with my vodum which in intermittent. Extremely frustrating.

Went to see my surgeon today, exactly one week after my op.. the nurse removed the staples from my stomach, and gave them to me in a jar to keep! Yuk, what am I supposed to do with them. It was not to pleasant getting them out, but now that they are I feel so much better. Not so sore, and not the constant pulling I had.

He was extremely happy with my progress, said I could start introducing sloppy food when I felt like it and would see me again in 3 weeks.

Now heres the good bit.... Lost 5 kgs Just seems unreal. Surely some of that has to be water loss, as if I have the flu or something for a few days and go off my food completely I don't lose much. Maybe the chunk of stomach they removed weighed a few kgs.

Well I am feeling absolutely wonderful

Cheers
Kiwi
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 9:26 pm

Hi guys
Steph, I know what you mean about the junk food cravings getting the better of you - when I was cooking, I found myself nibbling as I went. And it wasn't pureed - and I paid for it, too.
Just because you know you shouldn't do it, doesn't mean you can automatically stop - even now!
Ah well, we'll live and learn, won't we? After all, that's why we had this done. We can't expect to change every behaviour immediately.
I've been talking about trying some fish for a week now, but haven't worked up the nerve. But I think I'll make up some white sauce and put the fish through that, and hopefully that will be okay. No chippies for me, though!
I hope you kiwis get your computer problems sorted soon - I hate to be out of contact, too.
Oh, and apple - yuk! LOL
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 11:16 am

Hi Rose, I still have been unable to send that email to you. Internet just stops. Yes the weather has been a bit rough and more of it to come. Oh well not much I can do about that.

Kiwi
Back to top Go down
rose
rose

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 11:12 am

helo kiwi

guess who's got the same prob? internet freezing the whole day.
must be the weather. the wind and rain today was a bit strong. maybe some equiptment got damaged?

your guess as good as mine

:lol:
Back to top Go down
http://www.naturesgiftnz.com
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 11:05 am

Me too. I am actually using a vodum now, but this is also kinda connected to the same internet provider, and struggling to keep on line. When I ring to find out whats going on they say there is a 2 and 1/2 hour delay in answering calls. Must be something major. What will I do with my day lol
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 10:31 am

Hi Kiwi,

Hope your computer problems are fixed soon.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 10:28 am

I just laughed so much I nearly burst me staples apart. Just picturing the beach/seagulls scene! Sorry I haven't replied to your posts today. My internet provider has major problems and I have been unable to connect to the internet for most of the day. When it does go it seems to last about 2 mins before crashing again. I have so missed today not being on here reading all the latest tit bits and receiving good advise and info that makes me feel "normal" better post this before the next crash

Kiwi
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 10:12 am

Oh Applesauce you did make me :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: I can just imagine it. The seagulls would have loved it.

Yes I have learnt my lesson. My junk food craving got the better of me

Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 10:10 am

yeap steph the fish and the chips might have been mushie but no liquid in them. I would never have managed them 3 weeks out. Next time you want to try them mash them up with some mayo or gravy. The biggest mistake people make going from purred to mushie is they tend to go to fast to stuff with not enough liquid content. I had no problem with this but oh boy oh boy did the male of the species have a problem with it. He did just what you did on fish like that about 5 weeks out. Yet tined tuna in spring water was not a problem. We thought the fish and chips looked moist enough and it went down me no problems but him he must have puked up a bucket of saliva with it *LOL* Okay not funny to you yet, but it was funny after to us here was him at the beach and a zillion seagulls going puke in my direction please please please hehehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 9:59 am

Hi enfinsusie,

I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow and at this stage I have to say that when they remove Grelin hormone there is definitely no hunger. I have to force myself to eat and I am trying for 2 meals a day, although they are very small. Today I had a cruskit for lunch with strawberry philly and for tea a half piece of fish and 3 chips but I have been bringing that all up since.

I am really struggling with eating and since I have returned to work I am also struggling with fluids too.

I have been so tired today and I know it's because I'm not getting enough protein.

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 9:39 am

I agree, Apple, that's the hardest thing. You've done extremely well, though, even if it did come back on again. Not any more, though!
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 9:09 am

I took 40kg off to have my babies then it all came back and I took a lot of again over 30kg 6 or 7 years ago. It is that keeping it off that just never works for me. I have never looked at dieting as hard it is the after that never worked for me. This time I now have a stop button, and oh do I love it :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 6:09 am

Wow, Kiwi, that's a big weight loss on your own - well done!
Chris
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyWed 23 Jul 2008, 6:02 am

wow that much weight loss on your own....you need that meadal and the chest to pin it on. You are great. all that weight on your own... the sleeve will help you lose the rest you need to be "normal" gee that is a silly word...???what is normal????
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 9:12 pm

I am so similar to you. I lost 50 kgs, then gained 20kgs. I needed something to motivate me to lose again but also keep it off. I was always so hungry, and I could not cope with that for the rest of my life. My doctor said that the stomach that is removed is the main bit that tells you that you are hungry so I should not have the hunger problem anymore. Also check how big they are making your sleeve. Some surgeons have apparently started making the sleeve size much smaller now than they used to. I have got the smallest size sleeve (according to my dr) that any surgeons are performing. I see him tomorrow and will ask him again exactly what size sleeve I have and let you know. He did tell me but I have forgotten.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 9:10 pm

Hi enfinsusie
I agree with Kiwi - we're all told something a bit different.
Wow - I can't believe how much weight you lost by yourself - and kept it off! You should be very proud of yourself, because it's such a difficult thing to do.
I think if you can do that, you will find the sleeve will be great for you.
As for the grehlin - everything I've read about it says that most of it is in the part of the stomach that we LOSE when we have the sleeve done! Maybe you'd best check with your doc on that one.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Back to top Go down
enfinsusie
enfinsusie

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 8:47 pm

I read that the Grelin hormone, who is saying that we are not hungry are mostly in the part of stomach that we keep with vertical sleeve. I have a document of my doctor who said that. Is that true?
Back to top Go down
enfinsusie
enfinsusie

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 8:44 pm

Hi Kiwi,

Thank you for your answer.

I understand, the doctor at my hospital told me that i am not enough overweight for the bypass, i have maybe 35-37 maximum kg to loose, but before i was more overweight than now with 85kg to lose. He thinks that the sleeve is enough, he don't talk about the other part of the operation. The doctor think that if i lose 85 kg alone and have maintein it for 5 years... i will be able with the sleeve.
But, with my obesity pass, i know that the situation could be worse for me than now. So an other hospital offer me the bypass. It why i am on hesitation, because i know that i can be easily more overweight than now if i do nothing... and i don't know why but now it's hard for me to include exercice another time. It's like if i have to begin all the job that i done before. I need to found motivation for that.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 8:26 pm

Hi Enfinsusie, I think everyone is told different information. Basically I was allowed to suck only on ice-cubes for 2 days then I was discharged and allowed water only for 1 day. Then I was told to have just fluids for 2 weeks after surgery. Fluids were defined as anything that can be sucked up through a straw. Optifast was suggested as a good option because it has all the nutrients that you need but in liquid form. After 2 weeks I can then introduce other foods.

I did consider 3 different options of surgery. Originally the band was my 1st choice. The Dr would not consider a bypass as I was not enough over weight for this. He said he could not ethically carry out a bypass operation unless I came back 40 or 50 kgs heavier. He did say though that an advantage of the sleeve is that it is the 1st stage of a bypass operation, and that if necessary could be converted easily to a bypass. However every case that he had seen that had the intention of doing the stage 2 bypass at a later stage never needed it. Its hard to make the final decision though I know. I completely went off the banding because so many people are banded then later had the sleeve. I have had to pay for this myself, and could only ever afford to do it once.

Kiwi.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from New Zealand   Hello  from New Zealand Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from New Zealand
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next