Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.

Go down 
+12
MrMick
Mummawhale
Nini
bluebags
Toran
gingerchicken
skinnygreyhound
steph11
Caz
LittleMissCee
~Trishah~
Scotty75
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Angel_Est1982
Part of the furniture
Angel_Est1982

Female
Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-05-21

Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyTue 13 May 2014, 12:47 am

Bad = Not being able to go to the toilet without some help from the Chemist.
Some loose skin (That's my own fault for letting myself get so big. This can be fixed though)
Feeling the cold (But hey, I can find many cute jumpers to wear now so it's not all bad!)
Spending so much money on new outfits (Again, not all bad as I love shopping haha)

Good = Where do I begin?
Being able to shop in the normal clothes section.
Being able to find clothes to suit my new body instead of just wearing baggy black everything to hide in.
Having lots of energy.
Having confidence in myself to pursue my dreams.
Having confidence to quit my job of almost 13 years, go back to Uni and start a new career path.
Fitting in seats with room to spare as opposed to being squished in and ending up with bruising because the arms cut into my thighs (Or getting stuck and when getting up, the chair is still attached to my butt)
Being able to walk further and for longer without feeling like I've done a marathon after 5 minutes, being in pain, looking like a tomato and sweating a thousand gallons (seriously, it's not a good look!)
Walking with my head held high because I feel normal
Not being the 'fat person' that everyone jokes about/ laughs at
Eating anything I want, in moderation
Making my parents proud for FINALLY looking after myself
Learning to love myself
Being happier and healthier and looking forward to the rest of my life!!

Of course, there are battles in this journey. It's not all rainbows and sunshine but I have NEVER once thought it not worth it. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I never thought life could be so good until now.

It's time to be the person we've always meant to be and to go out and live life to the fullest!!
Back to top Go down
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture
gingerchicken

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyMon 12 May 2014, 6:07 am

Firstly,

THANKYOU to all of you for contributing to this post. It's amazing to see the great things that are happening in your lives.

Jagxlusive- It must be really difficult for you and the experiences you've had. I appreciate your honesty on here and really do hope things improve for you. TBH, some of what you're going through are the fears I have.

There are a few people on this forum who are struggling. I am really thankful they are still posting. For their sake, so they feel supported by others who've had the op..... But also for newbies, so we are made aware of several perspectives and experiences. I am very fearful that I will have a similar path. I wonder whether past medical history or age or surgeon or aftercare are major contributing factors.... Or whether they are just one off... Unpredictable cases? Susy77 is in her thirties.... Not too much older than me.... And I can't help but think could what happened to her, happen to me? Sure... My weight would be gone..... But to not play with my children or lift up my baby? Yes.... I am a little overwhelmed with fear.

Ottopia- pride and relief.... That must feel so wonderful. Yes, for a long time I have felt such shame and embarrassment for my family. I'm so glad you get to experience such a change in dynamics.
Skin... I am concerned about too. One things at a time though I suppose. At least you have that perspective too and have a long term plan in sight.

Nini- 
"The trouble with WLS is that everyone reacts differently and you don't really know what your experience will be like until you start it."

This is my anxiety maker..... There's no answer..... I know it just boils down to me doing it or not.
I love the way you referred to the "inner me"... I do long for that. No longer feeling stifled by the fat suit.

Mummawhale- it must be women's intuition....(or just simply like mindedness) You read between the lines..... Yes, I am totally freaking out.... I just don't know if I can go through with it. The risks to me are overwhelming and at the moment, I'm flipping from one side to the other several times a day. Your post was spot on, my thoughts are mirroring yours. Thank you for being so honest about your reticence..... It makes me feel better about mine.

It also feels like the right time for me and my family.... I'm not so fearful of the surgery...I've planned to have a hernia fixed for a long time...just had to wait for last baby. I will be having the hernia repaired regardless... It's whether to sleeve or not. It's Just the possibility of complications.... It's because everyone recovers differently.... Or reacts differently. Like nini said.

I have 40kg to lose to be at my ultimate dream weight (I'm short... So my Bmi is still high) I'd be Happy with being 30 down I suppose. My sister has just lost 40kgs by herself and has really changed her life around..... It has taken her around 18months of losing and then maintaining for some time... She has started back on it again and has a last 20kgs to go. It makes me feel so happy for her and.... Well if she can do it.... Maybe I can too.
I don't have any other health issues... I don't have PCOS, diabetes, pre diabetes or anything else that stops me from losing...... I just can't stick to anything....or maintain any losses..because i just can't stick to anything...see the cycle? I feel a little fraud like.... Because I don't have really pressing medical reasons for it (I. Know... They're likely to come soon) but does anyone know what I mean? I can't remember where I read it..... I thought I read somewhere (can't find it, or remember)... Someone posted: That if they "only had 20kg to lose they wouldn't have done it....but because they had so much more(60) that they couldn't have lost it by themselves."
 One doctor said I could aim to lose 15kg. 15kg!! That made me sit on edge. I know drs are conservative with their goal weights.... So that they're achievable....but who would do it for 15kg??

I suppose to me.... Does the reward outweigh the risk or vice versa??

I REALLY have rambled....I just read back through it..... But have to put it all out there. By nature, I'm an internal worrier.... Normally, I keep It to myself.... But writing it here is the only way to get it sorted? I really do appreciate all your responses and am truly happy for such positive experiences you are all having!

Ginger

Ps- I just saw joe hockey on TV...... Made me think.... Would the treasurer really take that big of a risk ;)
Back to top Go down
Ottopia
Part of the furniture
Ottopia

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2014-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyFri 09 May 2014, 10:14 pm

The absolute best is the pride and relief (where there was worry before) in my husband's and children's eyes when they see me active, participating and loving life.
Other bests are clothes, not feeling so tired, no sore feet and joints, nit being hungry.
The most challenging is actually understanding that I am changing, that I am shrinking and that this isn't a phase but my life now. Second most challenging is having people look at me...this is one I didn't anticipate. And my third challenge is the bloody loose skin, at 23kgs down and many cmd lost it is starting to cause issues already- exercise exercise exercise and in two years the knife for some skin tucking!
cheers,
Llyr
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyFri 09 May 2014, 2:08 pm

jagxclusive wrote:
Best things - within 3 weeks after surgery blood pressure, insulin and sugars all normal.  Felt much better with 20kg off, just being able to move about easier and fit more comfortably into my clothes, stopped being so embarrased about my weight. The surgery itself went well.
Worst things - not being able to stick to healthy eating, not losing much weight since 4 weeks post op, 6 months out now and gaining weight, thyroid mucking up, sleep problems, tiredness that is taking  forever to aleviate, depression. All my cravings are back, lost motivation, miss sculling water. Telling everyone that I was having the surgery now I look like a fat failure and they monitor what I eat  so I really don't want to go out anyway.

NAW!  Jagxclusive!  You are usually the most inspiring and positive poster ever on this site  (I read all your posts and you are always there for others!), I am so sorry you are struggling atm.

You are NOT fat failure, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, give yourself some big doses of a multi Vit B (esp B12 which is designed for depression & available in a tasty sublingual form) and some self love!!!  Screw what others think and focus on yourself for a change!!  Chronium Picolinate is my saviour when I can't control my eating habits (I have 4 NOT 1 per day as recommended by my dietician) and within 2wks it whisks away my sugar and carb cravings. 

If anyone can do it - you can!  Continue to be that lovely positive person you are and look after yourself xo
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyFri 09 May 2014, 1:51 pm

Best things - within 3 weeks after surgery blood pressure, insulin and sugars all normal.  Felt much better with 20kg off, just being able to move about easier and fit more comfortably into my clothes, stopped being so embarrased about my weight. The surgery itself went well.
Worst things - not being able to stick to healthy eating, not losing much weight since 4 weeks post op, 6 months out now and gaining weight, thyroid mucking up, sleep problems, tiredness that is taking  forever to aleviate, depression. All my cravings are back, lost motivation, miss sculling water. Telling everyone that I was having the surgery now I look like a fat failure and they monitor what I eat  so I really don't want to go out anyway.
Back to top Go down
MrMick
Part of the furniture
MrMick

Male
Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2014-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyThu 08 May 2014, 4:25 am

+2 everything Mummawhale has said. Totally spot on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lawnmowingbrisbane.com
Mummawhale

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyThu 08 May 2014, 4:15 am

Hi Ginger

I was so like you are now.  I was so nervous about having an elective surgery that could potentially make my life worse not better.  I was worried for my family, convinced I wasn't going to come off the operating table and if I did I was going to end up with some terrible complication.  I am the strength behind my family and if I wasn't around how were my children (twins) ever going to get through Year 12 and move to their competitive chosen careers without me there to guide and drive them.  While it seemed like the best time to have the op because I wouldn't shy away from attending all the events that will be happening in their final year of school and I might even be able to enjoy them and have photos taken (that I'm not ashamed to look at later), it also seemed like the worst possible time should something go wrong.  This teamed with a surgeon who was totally risk adverse and a hernia and gastric reflux prior to the surgery made me very nervous about progressing.  My surgery was on a Monday and it wasn't until the Friday before at around 4 pm that I paid the fees and confirmed the surgery.  Even then I was told that if I didn't turn up on Monday it would be ok and my money would be returned!
However it seemed that once I paid the money my mind switched into  overdrive, it was happening and that was it.
I can say now, that whilst it is still only early days (almost 7 weeks post op) I can't believe how easy it has been and I can't believe that I was so nervous about going through with it.  I am progressing onto normal food and have been able to eat anything I have tried, I'm dropping weight and life just feels so normal.  The biggest thing is the increased comfort I feel everwhere - in my clothes, in my movement, my energy levels, my confidence,  the difference in way people respond to me, my professional identity - just everywhere....and I'm only a third of the way there!
Reading through these threads does bring a tear to my eye because it is all so true - there are no negatives, and if there is any slight doubt, it is far out weighed by the positives. 
There are some difficult stories on this site that you do need to bear in mind, but don't lose sight of the many that have visited this site for support during the decision making process and then gone off to live happily ever after sleeved lives.
Good luck, be strong!
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyThu 08 May 2014, 2:24 am

Hi Ginger,

The trouble with WLS is that everyone reacts differently and you don't really know what your experience will be like until you start it. Saying that my experience so far (10 months) has been a dream run. I can honestly say that losing the weight has given me back my "Inner Me". It's a bit difficult to describe. I am no longer that invisible fat person. I feel like the person I always was is finally unfolding and flowering. The confidence to be me, with all my quirks and failings - that is the best thing. How do you put a price on that? Of course the improvement in my health, the increased energy, and fitting into normal clothes is wonderful but really to me it all adds up to giving me back my life.

I made a complete commitment to change my eating behaviours when I decided to have the Sleeve. I researched A LOT. So I didn't freak out when the usual bumps in the journey happened. So the stalls, hair loss, head hunger, shrinkles etc were all just something I expected and accepted as par for the course.  One thing that does frighten me is maintaining my weight. It is a life time commitment, I can never "relax" and just forget I was overweight. I have found that the successful, long term Sleevers have a few things in common - they all track their food intake (even if its only a couple of days a week), they all eat their protein first, they all continue to drink around 2lt of water and they all exercise. So if there is a Con it is that it has to be forever, but this is the same for any successful weight loss. So, for me there have been no Cons from the surgery.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyThu 08 May 2014, 2:03 am

Best thing good health, joint pain gone, exercise everyday feel great able to buy lots of lovely clothes and look good in them plenty of compliments. 

Worst thing is sagging skin especially my face I feel like I look cranky all the time the rest is sloppy/soft but covered by clothes I think it takes time to get used to these changes and for some it definitely means more surgery and its expense.

Even with the worst side of things if it all goes well it is truly worth any down sides to gain good health.
Back to top Go down
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture
gingerchicken

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyThu 08 May 2014, 1:28 am

Thx Toran.

I feel like even though I have less than a month to go..... I'm still not sure about it.

Thx
Ginger
Back to top Go down
Toran
Part of the furniture
Toran

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyWed 07 May 2014, 8:49 am

WOW I'm only 4 weeks out and I love it, just knowing it's coming off is the best I'm already happier.

Negatives I just want to chew something at the moment. lol

I'll let you know I reckon it's just going to get better  Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. 542174
Back to top Go down
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture
gingerchicken

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyWed 07 May 2014, 6:58 am

Just wanting to bump this thread.

I've been thinking about asking you all what's the BEST and WORST thing you've found about your sleeve?

And then I found this thread. Perfect!

So go on, tell me, enlighten me..... educate me. 

Ginger
Back to top Go down
skinnygreyhound
Part of the furniture
skinnygreyhound

Female
Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 10:52 am

so many positives!
clothes, fitting- into baths, chairs, planes, buses, cinema seats, sofas, beds, showers.....um clothes! feeling sexy, feeling younger full of energy, fit! i can run across the road, squeeze behind chairs, run, jump, fit in with life...not stand out
oh I'm a cheap date! eat an entree max, don't drink ...CLOTHES!..undies, bras, fitting pantyhose, taking a suitcase for a weekend away and it is little cos your clothes don't take up any space!!! you don't sweat as much...you don't care if you have to walk far to a car parking space! you don't (always) feel so driven to eat

negatives- difficult to eat out as i am now vegetarian as well, lots of food makes me queasy, this is not always a problem for me but is for other people! some people are not sure of their reactions to you, cake works better than healthy vegetables!
i wish id had the courage to do this ten years ago but i guess lives a journey :)
Back to top Go down
steph11
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 5:00 am

Bestest of the best part for me is just the energy. I can face each day now with confidence that I will enjoy it and get the most out of it, as I have so much more energy. It's contagious too I think,my family is more active and energized and I am " attracting" more positive people too me which is fun I think just because being more energized is powerful....if that makes sense? The size 12 clothes are great also, being less hot and sweaty, being so much less embarrassed about myself, trying less hard to be funny, or bubbly etc as I agree with Trisha people assume so much about you when you are huge.

The negative is ...let me think, we don't eat out as much I guess, I have to be more organized to make healthier good tasting choices at home??not so bad, really struggling for a negative here.

Goodluck your time till sleeving will fly by.
Steph
Back to top Go down
Scotty75

Male
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 12:50 am

Lol, its funny how an operation can change so much in your life.
Trishah lol, people trying to feed u food! I never thought about becoming visible, sometimes its a good thing to blend in to the background isnt it. Was men talking to you for no reason a good thing or bad thing...lol.
LittleMissCee- checked out your pics and youve done an awesome job, and well done putting up the b4 and afters, do you laugh when you look back and see the difference. I didnt think from reading your posts that u ever had a problem with confidence :) Getting cracked onto a lot lol, I guess it can be annoying especially the weirdos...lol. I didnt think I would ever hear any1 say how the nice clothes are in the plus size section, thats 1 of my things too look forward to normal size clothes. Getting run down quickly is something Ive heard a few times you would have to stay on top of it all the time Im guessing cause your not eating a lot. ( Is it true u have to be on mulit vits forever after sleeve, i thought that was just bypass??)
Caz - I had to laugh I wish I could eat more because meal is so yummy....lol. A lot of those positives are in my goals post sleeve, the energy, playing with the kids, proud of myself ( not that Im depressed now), weight under control with little effort wow that would be awesome (will be).
Thanks everyone, this stuff helps me pass the time only 361 days to go...lol

Scotty
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyThu 26 Jul 2012, 11:52 pm

Positives - more energy, able to keep my weight under control with little effort, can keep up with grandchildren, look better, proud of myself, and have my family proud of me and my daughters have both lost weight in sympathy (not that they were fat - just had post baby-weight).

Negatives - um - um - um????? Maybe that I didn't do this many years ago? The only thing I can think of is that sometimes (very rarely) I wish I could eat more because a restaurant meal is just so yummy. But that is a very small price to pay for all the benefits.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyThu 26 Jul 2012, 1:46 pm

Positives - look better (more than half my pre-sleeve size.. Check out my diary for before & after pics). More confidence. Less health problems.

Negatives - get cracked onto a lot (not always a good thing.. Typically weirdo's.. Maybe it's telling me something? Lol). Get run down very quickly if I'm not vigilant with vitamins and eating decent food. Sick to death f the fact that all the nice clothes right now seem to be in the plus size section.. Whereas used to be the opposite when I WAS in the plus section!!!

Positives far outweigh the negatives. I'm just pedantic.
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyThu 26 Jul 2012, 1:10 pm

Hmmmmm... this might sound stupid....but I find being visible now very hard to deal with. I hate that now I get served in shops (it annoys me to get served before someone else where before I was pushed aside)....that men talk to me for no reason or that people try to feed me food.

On the up side people no longer think I am mentally dull because of my weight...dont know what is with that but for some reason people think the more cuddly you are the dummer you are.
Back to top Go down
Scotty75

Male
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. EmptyThu 26 Jul 2012, 1:03 pm

I like hearing stories of how the Sleeve has changed your life as well as things that havent gone expected to plan. What you want from your sleeve. What has been harder than you thought it would be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.   Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you. Empty

Back to top Go down

Just wanted to get the best and worst thing the sleeve has done for you.
Page 1 of 1