Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?

Go down 
+12
BingoButt
jen-e
Carrie
Tempest
Max
kaysa9
shelly25
Buck
myeverest
fatnomore
Emily
Bella77
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Has Shrunk
Has Shrunk

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm

Diamonds, That is so true!!! Gosh I have a hard time now just walking out to the back garden bed to pick my vegies!

You know the more I read the posts on this site the more I want the sleeve! My GP tried talking me into the band yesterday and I could have slapped her.... I did not go in asking about the band!! anyhow... thanks for the quote! I will have to tell hubby that one!
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
shortsleeves
Part of the furniture
shortsleeves

Female
Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptyTue 10 Aug 2010, 5:46 am

I would show them a photo of me 8 months ago and say 'look at me now!!!'

I would then say, yes it does take some getting used to the portion size and the quick fullness but its sooooooooooooooo worth it!!!!

Any questions???

Bruna

Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptyTue 10 Aug 2010, 5:37 am

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? 314562
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
Bella77
Part of the furniture
Bella77

Female
Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptyTue 10 Aug 2010, 4:27 am

Hi Bingo, I don't think I'll be telling anyone anyway. When I had my band the only person that knew was my hubby. I know most people I know and my dad esp would just not understand and he is just that way and is one of those that thinks it's all about just not eating and exercise blah balh blah...you know all the things we have all heard a hundred times before.

I also don't want people to know because I don't want to hear the 'oh your taking the easy way out.' I have a friend who has another friend who has a band and has had it for years no probs so quite often she'd say things about her having it that I'd just turn a blind eye to. But the other day she said that so many people she now knows or knows of have had a band put in and she said...'so many people now are doing it the easy way'.

People just don't get it unless they have had it or something else like the sleeve done. I haven't been sleeved yet but have had the band and it is certainly not easy. I just don't want to hear peoples negativity or judgements...like the oh your just too lazy to do it with diet and exercise...if only they knew...of course most of us would do it with diet and exercise if we could and keep it off! Just people blabbing their mouths off when they have no idea what they are talking about...that's what I just don't want a bar of. So basically I'll do the same my hubby will know and thats it and after all it's really no-one elses business is it?

Btw why would you change and not tell people? For the same reasons I just mentioned?
Back to top Go down
BingoButt

Female
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 2:05 pm

Hmm there's a few things

Don't be scared
Be prepared especially emotionally
and personally I wouldn't be open and tell everyone I was having it done -that's the one thing I would change if I could...
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 1:02 pm

Yes, it is different for everyone. Some huge differences.
I started drinking diet soft drink about 5 weeks post op..very small sips and would sort of let the bubbles dissipate before I swallowed.. If it was too big a sip or too fast my stomach would let me know. I'm still careful when I drink anything bubbley but it hasn't been a problem.
Back to top Go down
Bella77
Part of the furniture
Bella77

Female

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptyMon 09 Aug 2010, 9:15 am

Wow Jen-e you only lost 10 on the band...goes to show all things work different for different people hey. I lost 34 on my band before i started having probs with it and was at a weight I was happy with anyway, just wish I could have kept that off without the band and after my baby...oh well, onto better things from here hopefully. I found with the band I could eat most things and even drink my diet coke which I am addicted to as I don't drink tea or coffee. It does worry me that I might not be able to drink it with the sleeve but I have read lots of people can and then some can't but if it's something I have to give up then so be it, I won't argue. I did find that I could overeat with the band or not chew properly though and i paid for it when I did.

What I am getting from having a good read around the board is that even the sleeve works differently for everyone and what one person may be able to eat or the amount can be different from someone else, but all in all it works and no-one would change a thing, so I think it sounds like it's something you really have to wait and see how it works for you.
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySun 08 Aug 2010, 11:23 pm

You might still feel hungry, even an hour after eating.

The full feeling is different to the band full feeling. I wouldn't even attempt to eat some food when I had the band cos I knew I couldn't (eg hot chips, bread, salmon) or I would eat a tiny bit then say 'nope, cant eat any more of that' but now I can & do push eating that little bit more (& I can eat chips & bread tho it's usually only about 8 chips) In saying this I am losing weight whereas with the band I didn't after the 1st 10kg.

Love my sleeve Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? 65317
Back to top Go down
Bella77
Part of the furniture
Bella77

Female

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySun 08 Aug 2010, 3:10 pm

Thanks All. Interesting reading all your answers. Because I have already had a band I'm not scared about eating a small amount of food, infact in the time I have had with not having the band and without being pregnant, I have remembered just how much I can eat and would welcome being restricted again with open arms. I've done quite a bit of research and I think it's the path I will go down, let's just see what Dr Armstrong says on friday!!! I was just interested to know from people who have had the sleeve done as to if there were other things they wish they had been told etc because sometimes you can do all the research you can but hearing things from people that have the expereience is a different thing. Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySun 08 Aug 2010, 2:50 am

Max wrote:
Research it, Compare it, DO IT !!!!!
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySun 08 Aug 2010, 2:10 am

I am with Max,

Do your research, then

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT
Back to top Go down
Max
Part of the furniture
Max

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 8:45 am

Research it, Compare it, DO IT !!!!!

Max
Back to top Go down
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 7:30 am

I expected that eating so little would leave me unsatisfied and that I would miss food. I don't.
I expected to never be hungry again, that was false. And I expected to loose weight without working for it, that was also false. Sorry, that was three things :-) Good luck
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 4:35 am

i would say do your research so your informed including choosing a surgeon with a good reputation,then id say join this forum and see what others have experienced on thier journeys,then id say DO IT!!!!!!
Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? 63412
Back to top Go down
Buck

Male
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 4:04 am

Don't hesitate, just do it.......you will not believe how easy it is and how great you will feel
Back to top Go down
myeverest
Part of the furniture
myeverest

Female
Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 3:49 am

What a fantastic idea fatnomore!!!
Back to top Go down
fatnomore
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 3:34 am

Couldnt stop at one thing! lol.... Hmmm maybe tell them to weigh 200gms of food and before the sleeve eat that for dinner and thats it..see how hungry they are after it and tell them after the sleeve you will be so full you couldnt and wouldnt eat another thing...
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptyFri 06 Aug 2010, 5:38 pm

You can do reading of people's diaries to find out the "real life" experience of actually getting and having the sleeve, but the thing I'd say now I am 10 days out is don't be scared, just do it. I haven't lost my weight yet obviously, but the massive relief I already feel, knowing that I can do it, is overwhelming.

Compared to the band, it just sounds so easy and final.
Back to top Go down
Bella77
Part of the furniture
Bella77

Female

PostSubject: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? EmptyFri 06 Aug 2010, 4:02 pm

Hi All! Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? 355206 I'm a newbie from Perth and have just told my story in the intro section and posted my long story of how I got here. If you havn't read it basically, I have had a band but now band free and looking into getting the sleeve done because I absolutely don't want another band. My first appt with my surgeon to suss everything out and get all the info is this coming friday but I was curious as to what you would all say to a person looking at getting it. I think you can get all the info you can from a doctor but there is still nothing better than hearing advice or things from people who have been there. Like, when I had my band I was given all the info and thought I was well equiped with the knowledge I needed to know, which I was, but once I had it, a few times along the path there were times when I said 'I wish someone had told me' and they were things that I think only someone who had experineced a band would know.

So my question is, if you had the chance to tell someone something that you wish someone had told you, or give advice or what you thought was the one thing they needed to know about having a sleeve before they made their decision, what would it be? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Bella
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?   Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve? Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats the one thing you would say to someone considering a sleeve?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: