chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Optifast - the good, the bad and the ugly   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyThu 12 Jun 2008, 10:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
I thought that I'd start a thread on Optifast, so those who still have this to look forward to can get all the info before they start.
Personally, I haven't tried other brands, although I've heard that you can use any "complete meal replacement". My doc just said Optifast, so that's what I've stuck to.
The cheapest place I have found to buy it, and also the place with the biggest range to choose from, is www.pharmacydirect.com.au. The postage is only $5.95 flat rate, and they usually send out very quickly.
There are the inevitable shakes, in 3 flavours - chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. The strawberry is much more expensive, but tastes heaps better than the others.
They also have a dessert, which is a mousse-like consistency. I've only had the chocolate, which isn't too bad, but I think they also do a lemon.
Then there are the crunchy bars - if you've had those weight watchers bars, they're a little like that. Not too bad at all, and when I'm super hungry, I've actually found myself considering having another one! LOL I've only had the berry crunch bars, but they also come in cappuccino now.
Last, but not least, they have a "chocolate bar". Now don't get too excited, because they're not anything like a real chocolate bar. Yes, they are chocolate covered, as are the crunch bars, but inside it is a very chewy consistency. It has an unusual taste, but not all bad. It also has a bit of an aftertaste, but you can live with it.
I like the fact that there are several consistencies to choose from, because if I just had to have shakes all the time I'd go crazy - I love to eat things that crunch and chew.
I hope that this information is useful to those yet to embark on the Optifast stage.
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySun 22 Jun 2008, 2:51 pm

oh ok, I have never had them, so if they are filling, I will stay away.
Thankyou!!
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySun 22 Jun 2008, 2:46 pm

gee

i think you would only need a bite hayley, they seem to be really filling...for me anyway

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySun 22 Jun 2008, 2:41 pm

Hey,
Do you ladies think that the Optifast bars would be any good
for a light snack in a normal diet? I am wondering if I can have one as a snack mid morning.
I am having 3 main meals and 2 tiny ones... I call it play lunch, or little lunch, LOL.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySun 22 Jun 2008, 2:36 pm

hey bugs,

no i didnt find them to strong....but i do love my coffee.....had another one today...they seem to fill you more than the shakes.

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySun 22 Jun 2008, 4:24 am

hi nicole,

you didnt find the cappacino bars too strong? i ended up giving mine away lol wimp aren't i?

$66 for optifast?????!!!!!! that's a rip off!!!! :affraid: can someone in perth get them for you and post them to you? even postage wouldn't cost that much! can i ask what town you live in?

bugs
Back to top Go down
http://www.rkm.id.au
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySat 21 Jun 2008, 8:34 am

I bought the cappacino bars today and hadone for lunch, boy did it fill me up almost felt to full, as much as they are not fantastic they are alright and a chage from the shakes. a friend gave me a coffee opti shake to try she hated it i didnt think it was to bad, I guess we all have different taste buds. It would be good to be able to buy just one to try instead of a whole box.

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyFri 20 Jun 2008, 10:08 am

No way!!! thats daylight robbery!!!
Thats shockin.
Back to top Go down
jcjfsm
jcjfsm

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyThu 19 Jun 2008, 3:56 pm

Hayley wrote:
Had to reply here, Optifast at Gregs Discount Chemist in Midland is 38 bucks.
Dont know about the soups or other things though...
Hayley

Hayley I'll go to the extreme end of the spectrum try $66 in my outback town
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyMon 16 Jun 2008, 10:47 am

hi steph,

i found the capochino very very strong, i am not a coffee person, but i even struggle with the chocoalate, and that i am a fan of! lol

good luck, let me know how you go!

bugs :afro:
Back to top Go down
Donna-lee
Part of the furniture
Donna-lee

Female
Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyMon 16 Jun 2008, 9:18 am

hi steph,

yes I tried the cappacino bars and as much as I love my coffee and dont like the bars or the shakes.yuk!

Donna :flower:
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyMon 16 Jun 2008, 8:58 am

I have only tried the strawberry so far and it's way too sweet for me. I've also got the cappucino bars but haven't tried them yet. Does anyone know what they're like?
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyMon 16 Jun 2008, 7:44 am

A lady at work is on the TF shakes i compared the label the other day and TF is alot higher in sugar and also higher in fat....but they do taste nicer :D
The st/brry from opti is nice but also really really sweet the first one i had i thought it was to sweet but had another last night and wasnt quite so bad.

I might go and shop around for a better price....

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyMon 16 Jun 2008, 3:33 am

i've got the chicken soup from optifast and it's all right. :lol!: i havent tried the tomatoe not a fan of it lol i thought i'd be safe with the chicken soup htough lol

take care

bugs
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyMon 16 Jun 2008, 12:42 am

Sorry - computer dropped out on me again last night before I could finish.
It's not just the extra sugar, either - the "proper" ones are specially formulated to give you what your body needs to work on if you're just having shakes - you don't need to take extra supplements with them. The cheaper ones are okay for the occasional meal replacement, but not for every meal, every day.
I tried the Optifast tomato soup when it was out and it was really vile - I had to chuck it away, it was so bad. That's why I haven't tried the new soups - but now that someone else has said they're okay, I might give them a go later on.
Bye for now
Chris
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySun 15 Jun 2008, 2:58 pm

hi,

they are full of sugar. try to stick to tony ferguson or optifast. i think there is an optislim but i dont know what its like and only seen it some places, its half the cost of optifast but i've never tried it

good luck

bugs
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySun 15 Jun 2008, 11:04 am

Hi Donna
I'm not sure that Celebrity Slim are okay - check to see that they are a "complete meal replacement", because if not then they're not okay.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Donna-lee
Part of the furniture
Donna-lee

Female
Number of posts : 303

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySun 15 Jun 2008, 2:05 am

Hi I get my optifast when I use it from Gregs in Midland also but cant stand the soups they are yuk.. heard the soups from tony ferguson arent so bad and you can buy them on the net.. Also noticed that celebrity slim (priceline) have a couple of soups out and you can buy individuals so you can taste before you buy a bigger pack.

Donna :flower:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySat 14 Jun 2008, 3:17 pm

Had to reply here, Optifast at Gregs Discount Chemist in Midland is 38 bucks.
Dont know about the soups or other things though...
Hayley
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptySat 14 Jun 2008, 2:06 pm

:roll: hi everyone,

i went and bought the optifast chicken soup yesterday and the chocolate desert. i can't stand the chocolate/vanilla shakes, the strawberry is ok - just. i mostly have the chocolate desert though. i found the capochino chew bars, far too strong for me, i couldnt stomach the chocolate one, i could only manage 1/2 of it before i was full. i haven't tried the berry but i will give that one a go as i like chris, need to do the chewing thing. i had my yogurt for breakfast this morning, my soup for lunch, i found it spicy and had reflux afterwards for the rest of the day. i had planned on having the chocolate mousse for dinner but i weakened and had pizza :oops: :oops: both my partner and i were pooped from 3 hours of hard gardening this afternoon/evening and just couldn't be bothered and thought, oh heck.

i have the roast pumpkin soup from tony fergusion so i will give that a go, i did their shakes also, and i liked them,much better than optifast. but i found my blood sugars really dropped on optifast but not on TF. I weighed myself at a friends today and i am 124 kg but can i say it's all fluid as my period is 2 weeks late? lol

For anyone in perth the diabetic chemist on high road willetton sells optifast for $39.00 for the box of shakes.

take care

bugs
Back to top Go down
wobblymummy

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2008, 7:29 am

Yep, you can only buy them from TF weightloss centres or online.

At the weightloss centres the soups cost $3.20 each and the shakes cost $3.50 each.

I can't remember online prices but I thought they were cheaper - but you have to add postage.

I bought heaps and am going to have them after surgery too.

They make your teeth feel furry though - all the shakes do for me.
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2008, 7:07 am

Mmm, those Tony Ferguson soups sound good.
I've been on Optifast before and don't particularly like the taste, so I wasn't overly looking forward to having them while I'm on liquids post-op.
Do you know roughly how much they are?
Back to top Go down
wobblymummy

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2008, 6:49 am

I am meant to be on a VLCD called Clinical (Dr McLeods) but it has such a lot of lactose in it and I am constantly suffering when i have it.

So i a allowed to substitute in Optifast for the shakes and bars and Tony Ferguson for their soups.

I don't like the Opti chocolate bars. The chemical taste just turns me off and I can only force half a bar down drowned with coffee. That means I am only having half a meal which i didn't figure was good.

So, I mainly live off the shakes - choc and vanilla - and the TF soups.

The soups are the saving grace of the whole thing I must say. They are delicious - especially the roasted pumpkin and Asian curry ones. I just take them in my handbag and when i meet the hubby for lunch we go to Dome where I get a big mug of hot water and then stir in the soup. Viola! I am having lunch too.

My daughter has gotten used to me having soup all the time and has never asked for any which is good.

But I have to say i find the idea of only providing sweet tastes a bit strange. I never only ate sweet things before I started this diet and it was hard until I found the soups.

Looking forward to real food again i must say.
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2008, 3:10 am

Hi chris,
thanks for the info. i guess when you add the postage my chemists price isnt all that bad...
Im going out for lunch today and im thinking do i make a good choice or do i have something naughty.....in two minds as ive been going so well and i dont want to put any on....oh well i'll make the choice when i get there.
you have done really well, 16.8 kg fantastic :cheers:

my kids have no idea :lol!:

Im glad your getting support from your sisters, its good to hear.

talk to you soon

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2008, 2:54 am

Hi Nicole
Thanks! No problem re the typing, either - we got the message!
Just checked out the website and the price for 21 vanilla shakes is $41.75 - they used to be $39.95. Couldn't find the chocolate shakes, so they may be out of stock at the moment.
I just got a delivery of bars, which is what I'm going to be having mostly over the next week or so - to satisfy my need to chew, and also saving the shakes for after the op, when I can't have solids.
I'm doing very well, thanks, which is a big change for me! And my hand is recovering nicely. I can do a little more each day, and even managed some sewing yesterday and the day before. I must admit that it was a bit of a challenge, but I managed to make 2 new nighties to take to the hospital with me.
Congratulations on your weight loss so far - you're doing well. I'm finding this week pretty difficult, as I ate over the weekend. Actually celebrated - Alan's birthday, our anniversary, and the last time I'd be eating "real food" for a while. I overdid it and put on a couple of kilos, but to my surprise they came right back off again.
I'm pretty happy with my weight loss so far. I've lost 16.8kg since the beginning of the year, and half of that has been since 5th May, when I started on Optifast.
Had to laugh about your kids envy - let them taste it and I bet they'll change their minds! LOL Yes, you do get used to it, but I don't think anyone would choose it! LOL
I have to call the hospital soon to book in, so it will all start feeling real then, I suppose. At the moment, it still seems like it will never happen. I have started telling my family, though, and so far so good.
Bye for now
Chris
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2008, 2:37 am

sorry about the typing before, my keyboard is playing up a bit and i didnt preview
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 EmptyFri 13 Jun 2008, 2:34 am

Hey chris,

Good idea for a thread. I have only had te chocola and vanilla shakes so far and i must say i am now getting used to the flavour. My kids are actually jealous of me when i sit down to a milkshake for dinner and they have to eat veges...lol I have been going really well and have now lost 4.5kg it seems to be falling off :D
How much do you pay through pharmacy direct? mine were about $50 for a pack of 21 Is that good or bad?

I hope your feeling well, how is your hand?

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 33 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
Page 33 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next