Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?

Go down 
+3
dakodasmum
RozzieT
devilishchicky
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?   Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general? EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm

My endocrinologist was the one who put me on to Opti, well before I ever heard of the sleeve op.

You do need to have medical supervision if you're doing it long term, though.

As for the taste - some like it, some don't. I didn't, but as the days and weeks added up, it became much more palatable. Amazing what you can get used to!!!

Good luck - whatever works, eh?
Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture
Jacko84

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?   Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general? EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm

I have been on opti since april but have managed to lose 26kg so doing well and have surgery next week haven't stuck to it religiously though
Back to top Go down
100%-er
Top Poster
Top Poster
100%-er

Female
Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2011-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?   Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general? EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 9:24 pm

My DH was on opti with me pre surgery, but he kept going for 2 months in total. He then changed to Tony Ferguson as he was a little over the lack of variety. He lost 20 kilos on it, and has lost a further 8 kilos with TF.

I think as others have mentioned, check it out with your doctor.

(and the taste isn't that great.... well, that's my opinion anyway)

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?   Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general? EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

Hi Devilishchicky

Yes it is possible to do Optifast as a diet by itself although I was under medical supervision at the time. My endocrinologist had me on it for 3 months prior to me deciding to go down the surgery route.

I lost about 10kgs in that time, but unfortunately it caused my already low blood pressure to drop to almost dangerously low levels, so I had to stop. Was okay doing it for the 2 weeks prior to surgery, just had to watch for the dizzy spills that signal when my BP is getting too low.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
dakodasmum
Part of the furniture
dakodasmum

Female
Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?   Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general? EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

Hi Devilishchicky, I have wondered the same thing and from what Im told, yes you can do opti as a safe weight loss method, Ive even read that some ladies on here are doing it to kickstart their weightloss again after platueing. The only thing I have against your idea is that, apparantely it tastes awful (Im yet to try it, my op is in october) and so for that reason, some ladies have told me, only take it as long as you need to because it tastes so foul and that if I overdid it, I might get sidetracked and not doing when im supposed to be doing it, if that makes sense? Goodluck with your decision, we will all be here to support you :) Cheers, Angie :)
Back to top Go down
RozzieT
RozzieT

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?   Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general? EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

On the boxes of Optifast it is indicated that it can be used as a complete diet (plus vegies) for about 12 weeks.

Perhaps have a chat with your doctor and see what they have to say? I know Optifast is not meant as a long term solution - but I took it for 9 weeks before my sleeve op and lost 24kg, which was the best kick-start to my weight loss journey. I have also been using it for the past 2 weeks post-op on the advice of the surgeon, but only using it for two meals a day ... having diluted soup as my third meal.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
devilishchicky
devilishchicky

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-07-08

PostSubject: Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?   Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general? EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 10:24 am

The subject pretty much says it all. Im feeling a lil depressed and wondering if it is safe to do Optifast for a while just to move that weight to help me out a lil faster way before getting the sleeve done???????

Im not a moron but i have tried everything apart from Opitfast & have seen how much you can lose on it so who can point me into the right direction????

Thanks forums :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?   Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it safe to do Optifast as a diet in general?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: