chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Optifast - the good, the bad and the ugly   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyThu 12 Jun 2008, 10:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
I thought that I'd start a thread on Optifast, so those who still have this to look forward to can get all the info before they start.
Personally, I haven't tried other brands, although I've heard that you can use any "complete meal replacement". My doc just said Optifast, so that's what I've stuck to.
The cheapest place I have found to buy it, and also the place with the biggest range to choose from, is www.pharmacydirect.com.au. The postage is only $5.95 flat rate, and they usually send out very quickly.
There are the inevitable shakes, in 3 flavours - chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. The strawberry is much more expensive, but tastes heaps better than the others.
They also have a dessert, which is a mousse-like consistency. I've only had the chocolate, which isn't too bad, but I think they also do a lemon.
Then there are the crunchy bars - if you've had those weight watchers bars, they're a little like that. Not too bad at all, and when I'm super hungry, I've actually found myself considering having another one! LOL I've only had the berry crunch bars, but they also come in cappuccino now.
Last, but not least, they have a "chocolate bar". Now don't get too excited, because they're not anything like a real chocolate bar. Yes, they are chocolate covered, as are the crunch bars, but inside it is a very chewy consistency. It has an unusual taste, but not all bad. It also has a bit of an aftertaste, but you can live with it.
I like the fact that there are several consistencies to choose from, because if I just had to have shakes all the time I'd go crazy - I love to eat things that crunch and chew.
I hope that this information is useful to those yet to embark on the Optifast stage.
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 7:29 pm

Hey asnewme1
I was told that it didn't matter what brand I used, as long as it said "complete meal replacement".
There are a lot of shakes around, but they aren't all the same - look for the magic words and you should be okay.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 2:46 pm

Most like the tony ferguson shakes they are very sweet to my taste tho. I loved their roast pumkin soup and still enjoy it for lunch every few weeks :) If your surgeon has said you can have any then if I was you I would choose them not only because more people like them but because you can purchase them ONE meal at a tiem that way you are not stuck with flavours you do not like.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
mazey

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 2:34 pm

Hi I have just been reading all the posts about optifast and I am not looking forward to having them?? Is here any other type of drink you can have like the Terry White chemist diet drinks? My dietician did say just to have some sort of protein drinks twice a day after the operation in the 1st stage.
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Slim Fast anyone   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 12:52 pm

I haven't gotten all the details yet but I am supposed to be on Slim Fast for breakfast and lunch and then a small no carbs dinner for about 10 days before the surgery. I am wondering if Optifast is a better, more complete product. Has anyone done this research yet?
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyMon 21 Jul 2008, 5:04 am

OOOOHHHH!!!
That's brilliant!
Thanks Hayley.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyMon 21 Jul 2008, 4:00 am

A sticky is a thread that can never get lost. It always sits at the top of the page, so it is easy to find the info you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyMon 21 Jul 2008, 3:37 am

Oh, that's a great idea - but what is a sticky, please?
Chris :afro:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyMon 21 Jul 2008, 2:46 am

Yup, I realise that, but I wanted to make it a sticky, so as soon as I find it, I will merge the two together.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptySun 20 Jul 2008, 11:43 pm

Oh, Hayley, there is a thread for Optifast somewhere already.
Chris :afro:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptySun 20 Jul 2008, 3:43 pm

Ok, you may have been required to stick to the Optifast diet or other diet, and if so, add your thoughts and ideas here.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyWed 16 Jul 2008, 6:15 am

Yes, they're definitnely the two best, in my opinion, so if you have to choose, I'd definitely go with them.
That doesn't mean they taste good - just less disgusting than the rest! :lol!:
:afro:
Back to top Go down
liquefiedstars
liquefiedstars

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyWed 16 Jul 2008, 5:36 am

Opti sounds hideous. It's a shame they don't do a mixed box so you can try them all before buying a whole box of one flavor. It is going to be hard enough sticking to opti without having to soldier through some disgusting flavour. I don't have the money to waste a whole box if I don't like it. I Wonder if I should just live on the strawberry shakes and the chocolate dessert. :lol!: .
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyWed 16 Jul 2008, 4:59 am

I havent had an optifast for the last week....and i can say i DO NOT MISS THEM.
The choc, vanilla shakes were ok to begin with, but the last vanilla i had it nearly made me throw up. The choc i can still make do with. I also found the strawberry to sweet to begin with but now it would be my fav.
The cappacino bars were also not to bad , but as steph said you really need something to drink with them as they are very dry.
The soup i did not try, i had one given to me but never ended up having it. Not sure i want to now :lol!:
Thats my view on them anyway,

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyTue 15 Jul 2008, 10:28 pm

Ha ha ha - the first two weeks, I agreed with you about the chocolate bars - but by week 5, I thought they were pretty good! Must be a bit like when you have one drink too many and the people start looking good!
Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyTue 15 Jul 2008, 10:23 pm

Clive I can relate to everything you say about Optifast LOL. The only one I can stomach now is the strawberry and I found that way to sweet in the beginning but I need to add 300ml water to drink it. I didn't mind the capucino bars but they were pretty heavy and need a coffee to wash it down with.
I have some vegie soup packets if you want to try them. I can send them to you. I found them absolutely disgusting myself but save you paying to find that out, you can have mine if interested.
Email me or PM me and let me know.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyTue 15 Jul 2008, 4:53 pm

chicken soup very very few people like the stuff. I like the flavour but the consistancy stinks. The best way around it is to make it with warm water ONLY then blend it like crazy then pour into your mug and nuke for just 30 seconds. You are not allowed to boil it but getting it mixed like crazy before you get it beyond just warm makes a huge difference.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptySun 13 Jul 2008, 11:29 am

optifast went straight though me before surgery and I found it impossible to drink after, as getting even 100ml in one sitting was a pain in the ass.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptySun 13 Jul 2008, 10:36 am

Oh, Steph, who knows?
When I had diarrohea I wasn't taking Opti, and I went back on to help it - and it did!
I think it's trial and error, to find out what's happening.
And there's the benefibre debate - some dieticians say it helps with diarrohea as well as constipation, others say not.
I just kept on taking immodium, which helped me, and after about 5 days I was okay again.
Good luck!
Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptySun 13 Jul 2008, 10:29 am

How have people found the Optifast diet post op? I am finding that when I have the Optifast shake that it goes straight through me and I end up on the toilet. I'm not sure if it's because it's so sweet or even if it's my antibiotic affecting me.
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyMon 23 Jun 2008, 12:51 pm

Hi steph,

I also had a cappacino bar for lunch with a coffee, there not to bad are they. A bit of a change from the shakes.

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyMon 23 Jun 2008, 11:32 am

Hayley then how about those 100 calorie muesli bars they have now. A lot of snack things are done to 100 calories now to meet the guidlines set down so they can get ticks etc. The diet trifle is nice as well at under 80 calories :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptyMon 23 Jun 2008, 9:01 am

Hi Hayley,

I had an Optifast cuppacino bar for my lunch today but had it with a cup of coffee :lol!:
I didn't mind it but I wouldn't have liked it without the coffee to wash it down

steph
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptySun 22 Jun 2008, 3:34 pm

Yes your right Apple, I do do my yoghurt and fruit, but when I am walking around at work,
I dont have time to make soup, or make something, and yoghurt gets dead boring day after day.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptySun 22 Jun 2008, 3:29 pm

not if you want to lose weight they do not make for a good snack at over 200 calories you might as well have a mars bar. My dietician recomends yoghurt or some form of dairy for one snack and fruit in some form for the other snack. Just because getting them in other times is hard. Now am I good at doing that wellllllll ummmmmmmmm not always *LOL* if I am out 1/2 a muffin finds its way to me for morning tea. I do like a mandarin for afternoon tea tho. Oh and those diet trifle or diet le rice things are yummy and at 150gram tubs fit nice and come in at under 80calores.
I try and limit snacks to 100 calories unless out hence the muffin. tho the one time I ate an entire muffin I could not eat lunch I wa far to full.

oh for winter a cup of soup with 1/2 slice of toast would be nice mid afternoon :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 EmptySun 22 Jun 2008, 2:51 pm

oh ok, I have never had them, so if they are filling, I will stay away.
Thankyou!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 32 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
Page 32 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next