284 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Meo

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-06-27

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast Empty
PostSubject: Pre-Op with OptiSlim   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptySun 10 Jul 2016, 12:08 pm

Hi,

Started my pre-op diet on Friday. Tasted different brands and settled with OptiSlim mainly due to taste. I hate shakes and have to force them down. Keep on reminding myself that I have to drink them slowly.
Feeling a bit weak but very motivated.
I have a OptiSlim Chocolate (mixed with coffee) or Strawberry shake in the morning. OptiSlim bar for lunch with veggies and OptiSlim chicken soup in the evening with veggies. Between meals I will have diet jelly (my saviour), Pepsi Max (addicted to this) or water. 

So far so good and on track for my op on the 26th of July.

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast 65317
Back to top Go down
metime2016
metime2016

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2016-05-02

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptySun 03 Jul 2016, 2:11 am

I was just wondering about the difference between OptiSlim & OptiFast.  I don't have my Dietician appointment until the 11th (surgery is 29th).  I just went in to buy individual satchels so I know what flavours etc. I like before buying and they only had OptiSlim.

I know everyone is talking OptiFast but wondering what the difference is AND also whether the task is the same for both?
Back to top Go down
Ree84
Ree84

Female
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2016-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyMon 20 Jun 2016, 2:30 am

Thanks Box of Jewels. I was a little concerned about the lack of chewable foods, but if being allowed veggies and lo-cal noodles -I think that will help a lot!
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyFri 17 Jun 2016, 10:35 am

For me pre op - 
shake for breakfast, made with lots of ice, water and a dash of sugar free syrup (I used the gloria jeans ones, or the sugar free maple syrup you get at supermarkets - the ice and syrup seemed to make the texture and taste more appealing.)

Lunch (anytime from 11am on) - I'd roast a tray of allowed vege - purple onion, baby tomatoes, brocolli, pumpkin etc.  Bit of tuscan seasoning on top.

afternoon tea - shake, like at breaky.

Tea - more vege - sometimes salad, with cold roast pumpkin, or my favourite - mushrooms, coated in morrocan spice and shaken in a bag and roasted.  Or, stir fry vegies with a bit of soy sauce.  I used those lo-cal noodles to - they are allowed as per the optifast website.  

Supper - shake.

If I was working - I'd take a salad along for lunch, and a opti bar.
Back to top Go down
Ree84
Ree84

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyFri 17 Jun 2016, 7:21 am

Thanks for the reply Goldilolz, I appreciate the tips! I had considered stocking up on certain things, but I have seen a lot of stories about things people could have before but not after, so I think I will just play it by ear after surgery to see what I can tolerate.

:)
Back to top Go down
goldilolz

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyFri 17 Jun 2016, 6:25 am

About 6 months before i decided to have the surgery my dietitian suggested i tried Optifast, it was brilliant, had a shake or dessert 2-3 times a day have veges and the occasional cheat meal when my boyfriend or i cooked for each other, managed to lose 10kg over 12 weeks (maybe one to many cheat meals or i would have lost more). Shortly after i lost all that weight i was sent away for work for 3 weeks living out of a hotel, no means of cooking or preparing any food, i gotta admit the hotel meals were really really yummy. I ended up regaining most of weight i had lost, which is why i decided on the surgery cause i knew i could't keep up the Optifast, i'd slip back into old habits.

I'm currently 5 weeks post op, word of warning don't stock up on too much Optifast for post op, I only ever liked the chocolate shakes so i bought 3 boxes for pre and post op. I've tried to have an Optifast shake a few times since the surgery, at first i cut the serving in half and managed to have some of it over half an hour but it got harder every time i tried to have some. Now i can't stand to even have a mouth full, my stomach instantly starts making unpleasant noises and the taste just isn't what it used to be. Unfortunately I've got most of the 3 boxes left at home and i think I've got another half a box at work, i'm hoping a friend of mine considering the surgery will take them off my hands or else they will go to waste.
Back to top Go down
Ree84
Ree84

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyTue 14 Jun 2016, 7:55 am

I know there are guidelines available,but I am just wondering what a typical day on Optifast looks like for everyone?

I don't have my surgery date yet, nor have I had my appointment with the dietitian. I like to be prepared though, so I'd like to gather some examples of the way people incorporate vegetables etc in to the Optidfast diet.
Back to top Go down
kim67

Female
Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyWed 08 Jun 2016, 7:03 am

BigDaddy wrote:
Thank you very kindly!

~ Big Daddy

Oh yea, update:

Down by 23 KG's since I started the Optifast diet 3 weeks prior to surgery - now just over 7 weeks post-op now. Life is good. No more pain. Fitting into clothes that are three to four sizes smaller!

Thanks for all the info and support!!!

Great stuff, Congrat's
Back to top Go down
http://ktartaro@hotmail.com
kim67

Female
Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptySat 04 Jun 2016, 3:33 am

nogi wrote:
My surgery is this Friday and I've done a week of optifast and this week left and had no cheat meals. Just wondering if it would be an issue to have the broth of some chicken soup one night? Same volume as the optifast soup. Just need something a little different.

Hi There, I now I am a little late replying, but I hope your surgery was a success, as a newby, was just wondering how you are? My surgery date is the 20th June 2016. I picked up my optislim starter pack, I was surprised I was allowed to include vegetables (Select type only on List) between meals.  I will start it Monday the 6th,
Good luck
kim 67
Back to top Go down
http://ktartaro@hotmail.com
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
valebrook
valebrook

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-12-02

PostSubject: Lactose intolerant   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyMon 04 Jan 2016, 7:03 am

Rayne wrote:
See this right here is what I am worried about, I am still waiting on the dietitian to find me a lactose free option to optifast, or I am going to be wishing I was dead with massive Gi upset for 2 weeks pre op!  The surgeon kind of looked stunned then confused when I told him I am lactose intolerant, plus 3 FODMAP sensitivities.  
Hi there,

Have you tried lacteeze?
Back to top Go down
Rayne

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2015-10-09

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyFri 09 Oct 2015, 3:00 pm

See this right here is what I am worried about, I am still waiting on the dietitian to find me a lactose free option to optifast, or I am going to be wishing I was dead with massive Gi upset for 2 weeks pre op! The surgeon kind of looked stunned then confused when I told him I am lactose intolerant, plus 3 FODMAP sensitivities.
Back to top Go down
JadziaOz
JadziaOz

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2015-08-16

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyThu 20 Aug 2015, 10:48 am

That's awesome progress! Go you!

And I LOVE your avatar :D
Back to top Go down
BigDaddy
BigDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-06-03

PostSubject: Thank you   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyThu 20 Aug 2015, 8:44 am

Thank you very kindly!

~ Big Daddy

Oh yea, update:

Down by 23 KG's since I started the Optifast diet 3 weeks prior to surgery - now just over 7 weeks post-op now. Life is good. No more pain. Fitting into clothes that are three to four sizes smaller!

Thanks for all the info and support!!!
Back to top Go down
JadziaOz
JadziaOz

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2015-08-16

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyWed 19 Aug 2015, 11:17 am

BigDaddy wrote:
Great suggestions and support, thanks!!!!

BD

PS: How does one change their Avitar/Profile Pic?
I notice no-one has actually answered your last question about your avatar :/

Click on your "Profile" tab, then across the top of the box it has these faint titles: Information | Preferences | Signature | Avatar | Friends and foes | Notifications | Topic(s) being watched | Favourites | Drafts

(I can't change the colour. Sorry, I tried) The FOURTH tab says "Avatar" - click on that, and then either choose from the available gallery (last option, down the bottom), or use the option to choose one from your own computer - or go create one at the offered link - then come back and save it, and it will appear next to your profile :)

Hope that's helpful for you  The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast 65317
Back to top Go down
Firsttime
Firsttime

Female
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2015-05-16

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptySat 11 Jul 2015, 11:35 am

I'm starting opti later this week and wondering if anyone knows any easy free veg recepies. I plan on eating some for lunch and dinner (so it feels like I'm eating a meal).

Also any tips on how to survive the next 2 weeks would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Back to top Go down
BigDaddy
BigDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Thanks Renaissance_girl   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyFri 19 Jun 2015, 12:37 pm

I have found the Opti-fast products to be just fine. I love the shakes and bars and the Tomato soup with lots of fresh veggies in it is great for lunch or when you crave a savory as the shakes and bars are sweet. I also get the 100 grams of meat each night and broil boneless/skinless chicken breasts on a bed of frozen stir-fry and winter medley veggies… This is where I add my teaspoon of olive oil as well. Be careful of the sugar-free lollies… too many and they act as a very powerful laxative... learned that one the hard way, LOL!

The Complete Guide to Nutrition for Weightloss Surgery” book is very helpful and has great recipes to help keep the before/after diet from getting mundane! Thanks for the tip on purchasing direct from the publisher – saved over $25.00!

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast 618285 again for your insight and suggestions!

~ BigDaddy

PS: I had my initial hospital visit today and wow, it really made me not want to do the procedure for a few hours. I found it quite startling to think about all that has to be done before and after the surgery… sharing a hospital room with up to 4 strangers as they cannot guarantee a private room post-op and some people not being able to eat red meat or have a cocktail again, etc. Fortunately, that temporary anxiety passed with a little research and now I am back on track to my sleeve gastrectomy procedure scheduled for the 30
th of June. Bottom line, everybody is different and they said I was an ideal candidate so.. here’s to their professional opinions!

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast 63412
Back to top Go down
reneeski2
reneeski2

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-04-24

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyThu 18 Jun 2015, 8:33 am

Hi Rob and Chiara

Thanks so much for the advise sorry i didn't respond earlier forgot i put this post up lol and have just been going on to the june monthly blog... But thanks heaps The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast 217555
Back to top Go down
BigDaddy
BigDaddy

Male

PostSubject: All About Me?   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyTue 16 Jun 2015, 12:31 am

Opti-Week One (1) is behind me...The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast 446871

It actually felt harder these past two days (cravings)... but alas, they have passed. I am a bit grumpier and have snapped at a few people but all in all, doing pretty well.

Thank you so much to all that have provided general information and experiences. It truly helps to have an actual accounting of what to expect from people that are going through the very same experiences.

Week two here I come! I have me pre-op appointment with the hospital this Friday. Probably when they’ll give me an orientation and ask for pre-payment. Wish me luck…

See yawl next week!

~ Big Daddy
Back to top Go down
Chiaria
Chiaria

Female
Registration date : 2015-05-01

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptySat 13 Jun 2015, 11:50 pm

I was just thinking about Opti, and was pretty worried I hasn't shrunk my liver. 

I never ever cheated with carb, but I did have protein that wasn't on my list. I had an egg one day, some chicken another, and beef once. All cooked without oil or salt etc. I made veg soups with low salt stock. I also realised late I was using pumpkin, which was on the avoid list. 

The last day before the op I put myself on a clear diet, but I had clear soup chicken broth a few times which wasn't low salt and was delicious. 

I bought those ketosis sticks that WondaWendy recommended on another post here and it worked. The main thing is, if you're loosing weight, your liver is shrinking. 

I did Opti for 10 days and lost 5 kilos. Just had my surgery and all went beautifully. 

My advice is to stick to your Opti shakes, veg, and if you have to shave to cheat, look up keto diet and never ever cheat with carbs.

I mixed the shakes with green tea vanilla, and coffee in the choc each morning. Can make them hot too, just shake first :) then heat.
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2015-05-13

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyFri 12 Jun 2015, 9:27 am

Hi Renee,

I'm on day 3, I had a slight headache yesterday but have not been very hungry, I have been having a lot of diet jelly,  lucky I really like jelly. Also drinking more water than I used to.  

I think each dietician is a little different with what they want you to eat, and I am thinking it may depend on you blood test results as I think they can tell from that how fatty your liver is, not positive though.  I thought maybe that's why some need to do more weeks on the Optifast. 

Anyway I was told I could have 3 shakes per day plus rabbit veg for lunch plus 150g of lean protein for dinner if I want it and 1 1/2 cups of low carb veg.  

I was not sure if I could have tomato and snow peas.  I also made some chicken soup with liquid stock and veg.  I had some of the chicken from that last night but didn't drink the broth as was not sure if I could have it.  I didn't realise I had to use reduced salt stock as it says in my cookbook. .  Does anyone know if it matters  a lot?  I also like to add salt to my salad, I know salt is bad for your health but I do like a little. 

I bought the cook book she recommended - Your Complete Guide to Nutrician for Weight Loss Surgery.  In that book the Optifast pre-op diet includes both those veg so I think I will go with what the book says since my dietician is away and I can't ask her, but since she recommended the book I think it's ok. 

Are you able to contact you dietician, even if you ask her receptionist to ask her or maybe email them?  

Oh by the way if you want the book go online and buy it direct from the company in Adelaide it's cheaper! I paid about $45. I know some have bought it for their kindle or iPad but I like to have the hard copy.
Back to top Go down
reneeski2
reneeski2

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2015-04-24

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyThu 11 Jun 2015, 9:12 am

Hi everyone I am currently on day 4 of the opti fast diet surgery on the 22nd June I have to do this for two weeks and im already struggling... the headaches are intense and I am not wanting carbs or sugary sweets just some normal protein like an egg or some chicken my dietician didn't say this is part of the opti fast but do you think protein will hurt and could it impact the size of my liver? I am terrified of going through all this getting in there and my liver is still too big.

I have noticed some people do the optifast for three weeks or more? does it just depend on the surgeon etc?
Back to top Go down
Renaissance_girl

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-06-09

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyTue 09 Jun 2015, 2:58 pm

Hi Big Daddy,

My first couple of day's on my 3 week Optifast diet were a little tough, not because I was hungry but my energy levels were low. I was lucky I started on a Thursday so I was able to take a flexi on Friday and use the weekend to adjust. By the end of the first week I was craving meat and when I spoke to my dietician about this she said I was allowed 100g of lean meat per day if I wanted it. This helped me get through the next two weeks relatively easily and without biting my workmates heads off...my partner did bear the brunt and little! The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast 32773 

Hang in there. I had my gastric sleeve surgery last Thursday and my surgeon was very pleased with the size of my liver as it was the size of a teenagers...which was pleasing for a 48 yo woman who weighed 125kg on surgery day (I lost 8kg on Optifast). My favourites were the chocolate mousse, the vanilla shake with a teaspoon of instant coffee and the chocolate bar. I also enjoyed the chicken soup.

One thing that helped me get through this period was buying, "The complete guide to nutrition for weightloss surgery". I highly recommend you buy this book to help you prepare some interesting meals pre-op and post op. It was written by two Australian dieticians who have worked in this field for many years and includes the experiences of some of their patients. They have a Facebook page and a website so do yourself a favour and check them both out.

Renaissance-girl
Back to top Go down
BigDaddy
BigDaddy

Male

PostSubject: Thank you   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyTue 09 Jun 2015, 9:05 am

Great suggestions and support, thanks!!!!

BD

PS: How does one change their Avitar/Profile Pic?
Back to top Go down
Bellaballerina33
Part of the furniture
Bellaballerina33

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2014-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast EmptyMon 08 Jun 2015, 2:55 pm

Bigdaddy, I'm not gonna lie, the first probably 4 days could be tough. After that your body gets used to the new ways, and it's pretty easy going, albeit somewhat boring. Try adding interesting spices or herbs to make things a little more palatable. I had carrot sticks for the office, and the sugar free lollies. Are you allowed to have the lite jelly, that's something else that was good for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
Page 1 of 34Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 34  Next