chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Optifast - the good, the bad and the ugly   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptyThu 12 Jun 2008, 10:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
I thought that I'd start a thread on Optifast, so those who still have this to look forward to can get all the info before they start.
Personally, I haven't tried other brands, although I've heard that you can use any "complete meal replacement". My doc just said Optifast, so that's what I've stuck to.
The cheapest place I have found to buy it, and also the place with the biggest range to choose from, is www.pharmacydirect.com.au. The postage is only $5.95 flat rate, and they usually send out very quickly.
There are the inevitable shakes, in 3 flavours - chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. The strawberry is much more expensive, but tastes heaps better than the others.
They also have a dessert, which is a mousse-like consistency. I've only had the chocolate, which isn't too bad, but I think they also do a lemon.
Then there are the crunchy bars - if you've had those weight watchers bars, they're a little like that. Not too bad at all, and when I'm super hungry, I've actually found myself considering having another one! LOL I've only had the berry crunch bars, but they also come in cappuccino now.
Last, but not least, they have a "chocolate bar". Now don't get too excited, because they're not anything like a real chocolate bar. Yes, they are chocolate covered, as are the crunch bars, but inside it is a very chewy consistency. It has an unusual taste, but not all bad. It also has a bit of an aftertaste, but you can live with it.
I like the fact that there are several consistencies to choose from, because if I just had to have shakes all the time I'd go crazy - I love to eat things that crunch and chew.
I hope that this information is useful to those yet to embark on the Optifast stage.
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
nightowl

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 May 2014, 10:35 am

I much preferred my opti shakes warm. I would mix the powder with a bit of cold water in a mug then add hot water. Don't pour boiling water straight onto the powder, goes very lumpy, my dietitian said that was due to  the protein.
Back to top Go down
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture
gingerchicken

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 May 2014, 10:10 am

Wonderful. Will try it tomorrow. Thanks so much!!

Ginger
Back to top Go down
bringingbackme
bringingbackme

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2014-04-10

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 May 2014, 7:43 am

Yep, I did cold water then microwaved it this morning. As it says not to use Hot/Boiling water with it.
Back to top Go down
Vikki28
Part of the furniture
Vikki28

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2013-07-24

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 May 2014, 5:20 am

I would bullet blend it cold and then put it into a mug to microwave it.
Back to top Go down
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture
gingerchicken

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 May 2014, 5:02 am

Anyone have some advice on making optifast chocolate as a hot chocolate. I've tried boiling water, bullet blending, shaking.....and it just keeps being lumpy... Urghhhh

Thx
Ginger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 May 2014, 12:50 am

I just had a look but I threw the pre op diet info out. It was basically that I could eat lean meat and eggs with steamed broccoli and cauliflower, I could have lettuce, cucumber etc but no tomato or carrot and strawberries, blueberries and passionfruit. I could have tea and coffee but no milk or sugar and I could have diet drinks and diet jelly.

So pretty much I'd have a grilled steak with the veges for dinner, poached eggs for breakfast (even bacon with no fat). It was very easy. I would have steak and green salad for lunch.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 1:56 pm

Thanks Lizzy,

Much appreciated - I just PM'd you.

:) Wendy
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 1:22 pm

Wendy, I don't know if Sway's alternative diet is different to the one my dietician had as an option, which is called the K8 diet.

As terrified as I was of Opti, I think I did better on it because it seemed more rigid to me. In the past, I'd justify stupid food decisions, was just too afraid that I'd do the same on the K8 and really screw myself up. If you'd like a copy, I'd be happy to email it to you, just PM me an email address I can send it to.
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-04-14

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 11:43 am

Hi WondaWendy,

The optifast shakes were ok. I had the caramel and the vanilla ones. I'd have one for breakfast then the optifast cappuccino bar (took a bit to get used to but then they felt like a treat week 2) for lunch with a salad if I was hungry then I'd have vege soup and maybe a boiled egg for dinner or a shake.
I only had to do opti for 2 weeks and thought I'd never last but my willpower kicked in and I just kept telling myself I had to get my liver to shrink!
It wasn't easy and my tummy rumbled at night but I just brushed my teeth and went to bed.
A girlfriend hated the opti and lived on mainly carrot sticks and the other veges.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 11:29 am

Hey Swayback,

I've been Googling, trying to find an alternative diet to Optifast as I hate the idea of consuming all those chemically fake sugars etc.

I was going to be pro-active and pitch the proposal to my surgeon and dietician once I found something but haven't yet.

You don't have to go into great detail but I would be interested to know a few details about what your dietician put you on.

??? :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 1:44 am

Optifast DID make me vomit and gave me the trots...big time. My dietitian put me on an alternative diet which worked well (lost 8kgs in two weeks pre op). I threw all my Opti out!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 1:44 am

Optifast DID make me vomit and gave me the trots...big time. My dietitian put me on an alternative diet which worked well (lost 8kgs in two weeks pre op). I threw all my Opti out!
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 2:46 pm

Ahahaha! @WondaWendy it's definately optishit!
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 2:43 pm

I wonder if you could mask it with a teaspoon of melted instant coffee? When I was Googling the other day, I saw someone refer to it as Optishit, LOL!

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 706350I see something delicious and easy to eat in your very                     near future!
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 2:27 pm

Oh dear lord! had the choc opti mousse about an hour ago, can still taste it.  Nearly made me sick
Umm...5 pkts for sale?! Don't think I can stomach it!
Or maybe it's just too early days for me yet
I will NOT be having that again in a hurry. Will stick to my lemonade icy poles :)
Back to top Go down
veronica simcoe
Part of the furniture
veronica simcoe

Female
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2013-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 7:50 am

I loved both the lemon and choc opti desserts
Back to top Go down
MrMick
Part of the furniture
MrMick

Male
Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2014-03-07

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 5:50 am

Enjoy neens, and rest up every day gets better. :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.lawnmowingbrisbane.com
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 5:49 am

Great thanks MrMick! Sending hubby out to get me some now!!
Hope you're doing well.  I'm not feeling the best today. Only got home yesterday so resting on the bed with my dog!
Back to top Go down
MrMick
Part of the furniture
MrMick

Male
Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2014-03-07

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 5:03 am

Love the Opti Choc dessert, tastes as good as any moose I have tried, post op it does take a while to eat I divide in 2 halves now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lawnmowingbrisbane.com
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 4:53 am

Has anyone tried optifast desserts?

Thought this may be a good option post surgery now I'm home

I've had the jenny craig chocolate mousse before and loved it so I'm hoping it's the same sort of consistency.

Let me know your thoughts :)
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Jimbob

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Optislim   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014, 6:14 am

Jimbob wrote:
suzie77 wrote:
I have surgery in 14 weeks and I am thinking about starting optifast now.  I will do it for as long as I can hack it and then transition to the maintence phase for the remainder of time until my surgery.  How long did everyone else do it?  Was anyone else super keen and started early?
I started Optifast 3weeks before Sleeve surgery & together with vegetable meals such as Ratatoui I lost 9kgs .Be strong stick to it . It helps clean & shrink liver to make the keyhole surgery a lot easier .
It was Optislim I tried & Vanilla is best & then Coffee flavour
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Jimbob

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Optifast works    The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptyTue 29 Apr 2014, 2:59 am

suzie77 wrote:
I have surgery in 14 weeks and I am thinking about starting optifast now.  I will do it for as long as I can hack it and then transition to the maintence phase for the remainder of time until my surgery.  How long did everyone else do it?  Was anyone else super keen and started early?
I started Optifast 3weeks before Sleeve surgery & together with vegetable meals such as Ratatoui I lost 9kgs .Be strong stick to it . It helps clean & shrink liver to make the keyhole surgery a lot easier .
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Apr 2014, 9:04 am

Thanks for your support everyone. I think I'm just getting impatient and want to start seeing the results.  I'm really looking forward to seeing those digits drop on the scale!!

Bring on April 29th

I'm pleased to say not a single Easter egg has passed my lips this year!  I cannot believe it!!  What fool would choose to do opti at Easter?! Oh well, I've certainly made up for it with the 35 Easters I've had!! Lol

I wouldn't do it any longer than I had to because it's hard!! 
My stomach is rumbling and carrot and celery sticks aren't all they're cracked up to be. 
 I didn't have much choice, leading up to surgery, as I was booked in for June 10th but got a call to say there's been a cancellation I can come in on April 29th.   This only gave me 3.5 days to EAT ALL THE YUMMY FORBIDDEN FOOD in the house and have one last blast!

I was dreading doing the 2 weeks on opti but I'm in day 7 now and I'm being really strong because  I know there's only 7 days to go.
Really don't think I could handle 14 weeks! 

Definately replace a meal here and there with opti and watch what you're eating (I know easier said than done otherwise why else would we be here?!) but see what your surgeon recommends and go with that.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Apr 2014, 6:15 am

Hi Suzie77 (from suzy77 and I hope people don't mix us up as you definitely don't want my run post op!), I'd not suggest you start opti too early and then move to maintenance phase. THe point is the vlcd is designed to shrink your liver for a safe op. IF You move out of the early phase and start to add carbs etc back in then you might undo all your hard work. I'm no expert so I might be wrong but I'd definitely check with a dietician for their advice. Of course any weight you lose pre op is a bonus and would,also make for a safer op I'm sure but the purpose of opti as someone else here said is the liver, not weightloss.
Plus it really sucks so don't punish yourself anymore than you have to!! Good luck to all those on their pre op diets. I had a row on fb once because someone thought it funny to cheat on opti. It isn't funny to risk your health for surgery and whilst discipline isn't our strong suit and lack of it got us here in the first place, it's essential,we follow all our dietician guidelines to the letter now more than ever! Safety first....pre and post op. Just wanted to remind everyone of that....
Xxx
Back to top Go down
Jojoivory

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySun 20 Apr 2014, 4:17 am

I was very strict with opti and didn't lose weight until week 2 then it started dropping off! Am sure it will happen :). Like mentioned earlier, it is about your liver not losing weight although it is an added bonus when it dies happen!
Back to top Go down
suzie77
suzie77

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-07-12

PostSubject: How long did you do pre-op Optifast and how much did you lose?   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Apr 2014, 3:18 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
Page 3 of 34Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next