chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Optifast - the good, the bad and the ugly   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyThu 12 Jun 2008, 10:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
I thought that I'd start a thread on Optifast, so those who still have this to look forward to can get all the info before they start.
Personally, I haven't tried other brands, although I've heard that you can use any "complete meal replacement". My doc just said Optifast, so that's what I've stuck to.
The cheapest place I have found to buy it, and also the place with the biggest range to choose from, is www.pharmacydirect.com.au. The postage is only $5.95 flat rate, and they usually send out very quickly.
There are the inevitable shakes, in 3 flavours - chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. The strawberry is much more expensive, but tastes heaps better than the others.
They also have a dessert, which is a mousse-like consistency. I've only had the chocolate, which isn't too bad, but I think they also do a lemon.
Then there are the crunchy bars - if you've had those weight watchers bars, they're a little like that. Not too bad at all, and when I'm super hungry, I've actually found myself considering having another one! LOL I've only had the berry crunch bars, but they also come in cappuccino now.
Last, but not least, they have a "chocolate bar". Now don't get too excited, because they're not anything like a real chocolate bar. Yes, they are chocolate covered, as are the crunch bars, but inside it is a very chewy consistency. It has an unusual taste, but not all bad. It also has a bit of an aftertaste, but you can live with it.
I like the fact that there are several consistencies to choose from, because if I just had to have shakes all the time I'd go crazy - I love to eat things that crunch and chew.
I hope that this information is useful to those yet to embark on the Optifast stage.
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Bellaballerina33
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2014-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyMon 08 Jun 2015, 2:55 pm

Bigdaddy, I'm not gonna lie, the first probably 4 days could be tough. After that your body gets used to the new ways, and it's pretty easy going, albeit somewhat boring. Try adding interesting spices or herbs to make things a little more palatable. I had carrot sticks for the office, and the sugar free lollies. Are you allowed to have the lite jelly, that's something else that was good for me.
Back to top Go down
BigDaddy
BigDaddy

Male
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-06-03

PostSubject: Optifast Here I come....   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyMon 08 Jun 2015, 11:51 am

G’ day fellow Sleevers,

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 878453Tomorrow I begin my Optifast diet (3 weeks) in preparation for my Gastric Sleeve Procedure scheduled for the 30th of June. I have cases of bottled water, chocolate and vanilla shakes, assorted bars, soups, Benifiber, sugar free mints/gum and everything “carb-free veggie” to get me through this….

I am both excited and nervous! I love my Friday evenings at home with Chinese food and a movie with my partner and I am afraid that I am going to have a difficult time ahead. My dietician has allowed me 100 grams of skinless/boneless chicken OR tuna each day which I will have with stir-fry veggies  for dinner. This should take some of the edge off of just having shakes and bars. I hope…..

Any suggestions for eating at the office? I am also afraid that I may have a melt down at the office after a few days of shakes and veggies.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and support!

~ Big Daddy
Back to top Go down
Alkirbe
Alkirbe

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-05-13

PostSubject: Soups   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyWed 13 May 2015, 6:26 am

Are you allowed OptiFast Soups whilst on the Pre-Op Diet. I am currently having the shakes for Brekkie, Lunch and Dinner.
Don't want to slip up in any way before weigh in on day before surgery 11th June.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Mar 2015, 7:28 am

Trish,

I don't know if the soups made me sick because I couldn't stand the taste enough to actually eat them. LOL!  What a waste of money.  Also tried the berry crunch and cappuccino crunch bars and both made me physically gag trying to eat them. I am amazed that others can get them in.  I did and still do quite like the plain chocolate bar (it's a bit protein bar like in its denseness but I don't mind that).  Needed to water my shakes down with almost double the water but that was ok, I didn't mind those.  I think the best is lemon creme dessert with half a passionfruit or a couple of chopped strawberries in it.  My dietitian let me have up to a cup of berries a day and 2 passionfruits (not that I ever ate that many).
Back to top Go down
Trish25
Trish25

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Mar 2015, 4:54 am

meg_82 wrote:
I'm on the third week. Have had three lapses and I am just Over it. Not hungry.  Not sick. Just over it. 3 more days.

My dietitian told me if i got "taste bland" that I could have a cheat day but to stick to a small portion of lean meat and veggies and not to over do it.
I'm only on day 4 of a 3 month plan as the surgeon wants me down by 40kg before the op.

3 more days are easy, keep occupied and think of the end goal, hang in there Meg :)
Back to top Go down
FinallyHere
FinallyHere

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-02-22

PostSubject: started my 'opti today'   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Mar 2015, 6:44 am

I am being sleeved in two weeks today so had to start my meal replacements. I opted for Aldi's brand, someone had told me that it tastes nicer than Optifast (which I had tried in the past) and was pleasantly surprised when I found out that it was. I like the Aldi's brand. I checked the calories/protein/carbs/minerals against Opti and they are similiar. Good luck with your Opti.
Back to top Go down
meg_82
meg_82

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-12-07

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Mar 2015, 4:54 am

I'm on the third week. Have had three lapses and I am just Over it. Not hungry. Not sick. Just over it. 3 more days.
Back to top Go down
http://myfancysleeve.wordpress.com
Trish25
Trish25

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Mar 2015, 2:08 am

Hello
I am new to this all and only been on Optifast for a few days. The thing I am finding is the soups make me feel sick, like going to throw up sick.
I was on a protein shake years ago while in hospital and had the same reaction. I dont seem to mind the optifast shakes or bars it just seems to be the soups.
Anyone else had this issue?
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 9:09 am

Hi Blueyes,
A lot of pre-op diets allow starch free vegetables and a small piece of very lean protein. So if you are struggling with just shakes it's better to cheat with lean, fat free protein than carbohydrates or fats which will effect your liver.

It's very normal to be second guessing yourself. I think we all have felt to urge to get up and run even on the trolley waiting to be pushed into theatre. But if you truly feel un-sure of your decision or don't think you have researched it enough perhaps you should make a list of the pro's and con's, then if you still aren't ready it's better to postpone it and get yourself mentally prepared than rush in unprepared.

If it helps here is my list-
Pro
Con
Increased chance of keeping my weight off than just dieting - Studies have shown that the percentage of excess weight loss ranges from 60 to 85%. (http://www.gastricsleeve.us/gastric-sleeve-surgery.html)
As per the Updated Position Statement on Sleeve Gastrectomy as a Bariatric Procedure released by the (ASMBS) on October 28, 2011, patients lose between 50-66% of their total weight after undergoing the surgery.

Risk of dying about .25%
As per a New England Journal of Medicine report, gastric sleeve surgery resulted in 23-40% reduction in premature mortality.Risk of post op complications about 1% – gastric leak, infection, chime leak, strictures, collapsed lung/pneumonia.
Improve my hypertensionStill need to work at it and have will power, doesn’t cure head hunger
Reduce my back painPain, nausea and gastric reflux post op – usually limited duration
Improve overall  health, reduced risk of diabetesMourning  food
More energyPossibility of stretching sleeve over time and putting weight back on.
Better able to cope at workCan’t be done in Tasmania
Fit into seats: such as aeroplane, cinemas, theme park rides.Expensive
Able to go on the back of Steve’s bike 
Physically limits food intake 
Reduces hunger and makes you feel full faster 
Digestion occurs naturally and usually does not cause malabsorption or Dumping Syndrome 
Does not require periodic adjustments, as with gastric banding 
Can usually be performed laparoscopically 
May be used as part of a staged procedure and can be converted to duodenal switch or gastric bypass for additional weight loss if necessary 

Luckily for me none of the Con's happened to me.
cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
blueyes

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-03-16

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Mar 2015, 8:51 am

Hi, So i am new and booked in for a gastric sleeve next week, i am really nervous and doubting if i have made right choice or not. i have been fine on the pre-op diet eating no sugars or carbs but have cheated with protein. I am struggling with no meat. Do you think that will risk my liver shrinking? I am nervous. Hoping to hear from someone!
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Jimbob

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptySat 13 Dec 2014, 12:55 am

Good luck with your op on 22nd Dec . Everything will be fine . Stay positive .
Back to top Go down
Claire2014
Claire2014

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-10-06

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Dec 2014, 9:48 pm

Thanks for the quick replies guys! 

I wasn't given an upper limit either - that's what's scatting me lol. I'm just like everyone else - worried in doing it wrong and they won't operate. My dietian told me I could eat as vegies as I like, as long as they were on the free list... Just second guessing myself I guess as I don't want to self- sabotage, like I would normally do. 
Everyone on this forum is always talking about how hungry they got pre-op but I'm struggling to eat three optifast products and my vegies too. I'll admit I do eat a lot of cooked vegies but there is nothing on them that shouldn't be and I have no desire to cheat at all, in fact I'm enjoying the challenge of making the vegies yummy. 
Thanks guys so much for putting my mind at ease. 
This forum has become a sanctuary for so many of us and I'd to personally thank you all for being so caring and understanding as we newbies find our way:-) 
Operation date 22/12/14 and I'm so excited to meet the new me :-)
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Dec 2014, 9:27 pm

Claire, I was told by my dietitian to eat AT LEAST 2 cups of free vegies a day and was not given an upper limit. I also had to have my 3 serves of Opti a day as it ensured complete nutrition.  Lizzy is right though, different surgeons/dietitians have different guidelines so it would be worth checking that with them.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Dec 2014, 8:04 pm

Claire2014 wrote:
Okay! Because I'm captain stupid, I need someone To tell me if it's okay on the intensive phase if I eat my body weight in the free vegies, on the low starch list? AND while I am eating my body weight in green vegies, am I meant to be still consuming 3 optifast products a day?

Claire, it's only ok if your surgeon and/or the dietician has said it's ok.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

PostSubject: Vegiess   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Dec 2014, 7:31 pm

I was allowed 4 cups of free vegies plus my 3 Optifast items (shakes,bars or soup) per day. I found making the vegies into a soup helped.
Back to top Go down
Claire2014
Claire2014

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-10-06

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 Dec 2014, 1:30 pm

Okay! Because I'm captain stupid, I need someone To tell me if it's okay on the intensive phase if I eat my body weight in the free vegies, on the low starch list? AND while I am eating my body weight in green vegies, am I meant to be still consuming 3 optifast products a day?
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture
PC

Male
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2014-06-15

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Oct 2014, 1:55 pm

If you're going to eat solid foods in the pre-op phase, try and keep yourself to non-starchy vegetables. 

If you need something else, consider some form of lean protein, but only if absolutely necessary.  That might be a chicken breast, boiled in stock.  It might be a salmon fillet.

Never ever ever ever cheat with starchy carbs (bread, pasta, potato (chips or otherwise), corn (chips or otherwise)) or sugary foods or drinks.  I'm not sure about the merits of cheating with beans.

The purpose of the pre-op diet is to force yourself into a weight loss mode.  You may not actually lose weight, but as your body gets close to weight loss mode, it starts to drain fat stores from the liver and its immediate surrounds, which makes the surgery less risky.  Eating starchy carbs (toast, doritos) or sugars (chocolate) ruins this process and recharges the liver.  Eating lean meat is so-so, and probably won't do much harm.  Eating non-starchy vegetables won't make the slightest bit of difference and some dieticians (mine included) will let you eat an unlimited amount of non-starchy veg pre-op, except for the final day when other considerations (the need for an absolutely empty stomach) comes into play.
Back to top Go down
bigclompers

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-10-21

PostSubject: I need some help   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyTue 21 Oct 2014, 11:38 am

So I am on the optislim and I am at day 7, I have cheated and I am so angry at myself for doing it.

I find the shakes revolting, I have to pinch my nose and skull to get them down.

I have been having steam fresh vegetables, and a piece of fish for dinner. Sometimes I have had half a tin of beans instead of the fish. 

But I have a slip in other ways with with chocolate, a handful of doritos and a piece of toast with peanut butter.

I just feel like I cant stop, I'm really upset with myself.
Back to top Go down
chikkie73

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-08-05

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyTue 02 Sep 2014, 6:38 am

Call me crazy but I'm quite enjoying the pre op faze! The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 65317
I feel it's making me think about my food choices.  Every time I go to grab something or take a bite of my 1 yr old daughters sandwich I ask myself - why are you doing this??  I'm not hungry so just PUT THE FOOD DOWN!!
It's really making me feel accountable for my past choices.  I just hope I can keep it up. 
1 week tomorrow until surgery eeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptySat 30 Aug 2014, 2:56 pm

yes the desserts are a meal replacement. I love the lemon and have it with jelly. if you are allowed to have fruit you could eat them together.

also make the soup, add cooked allowable veggies and blend. will be more filling just add some allowable herbs
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptySat 30 Aug 2014, 2:35 pm

So, maybe a stupid question (really? Another one?). These Opti deserts, they're misnamed, right? They are instead of a main meal, shake or bar aren't they, and not for "afters"? So would having your low starch veges followed by one of those be how they are used?

Are they nice? What is best flavour and are they as sustaining as a shake? For that matter, do the bars keep you feeling satisfied for as long as a shake?

On question tends to snowball into many with me, lol. Snowy!
Back to top Go down
RuralGirl5
RuralGirl5

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-06-13

PostSubject: Not lost a single gram   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyTue 19 Aug 2014, 10:23 am

Has anyone been on opti and not lost any weight ???, I have been on it for a week and a half and not one gram has shifted. 
I know its main purpose is to shrink the liver but how can you tell if its actually working if no weight moves either. 
I have surgery Tuesday next week and I'm getting worried.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
zigzag
zigzag

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyMon 18 Aug 2014, 12:06 pm

Thanks Willowgirl for preop Optifast regimen posted August 7th 2014.
Very Spartan

Helps to know what I am in for. See surgeon in two days for pre-op appt. 

Sleeve booked by his reception nurse for 9 September. 

I see dietician next Week  (27/8)  So that gives me time to start Opti.

Actually I started today cutting back the food. Ease into it a bit may help my body not have a shock so much.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female

PostSubject: My pre op diet   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2014, 1:35 am

I am allowed 3 Optifast sachets or bars plus 2 cups of approved vegies from the list below:

My pre op 2 cups of vegies allowed are : Alfalfa, asparagus, green beans, bok choy, broccoli, brussel sprouts, celery, carrots, cabbage, capsicum, cauliflower, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, lettuce, leeks, mung beans, mushrooms, onions, radish, shallots, silver beet, snow peas, spinach, squash, tomato, watercress and zucchini.

I have to avoid : Legumes (dried peas, beans and lentils), potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, corn, peas, parsnip, turnip and swede.

Calorie free fluids (at least 2 litres per day) : Water, tea black, coffee black, herbal tea, green tea, diet soft drink, diet cordial, mineral water/soda water unflavoured or diet varieties.

I have to avoid : Fruit juice, alcohol, regular cordial or soft drink, vegetable juice, milk or soy milk

Can have some condiments but only the thin ones like lemon juice and vinegar...no mayo, tomato sauce etc

Soups : Stock cubes, bonox (in moderation) and miso soup

Miscellaneous: Artificial sweetners, artificially sweetened gum, Diet jelly, flavor essences eg coconut essence
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female

PostSubject: Difference   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyWed 02 Jul 2014, 8:15 am

What is the difference between Optifast and Optislim?
Back to top Go down
nightowl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 May 2014, 10:35 am

I much preferred my opti shakes warm. I would mix the powder with a bit of cold water in a mug then add hot water. Don't pour boiling water straight onto the powder, goes very lumpy, my dietitian said that was due to  the protein.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
Page 2 of 34Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next