Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!

Go down 
+2
jagxclusive
Lacey21
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisabee
Lisabee

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-06-08

last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! Empty
PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptyFri 14 Jul 2017, 11:25 am

Hi guys,

I'm day 7 into my pre-op optifast diet and I'm really really struggling. I'm starving all the time, both Isowhey and Opti taste like crap and give me the runs. So far I haven't cheated but I'm fantasising about going on an all out eating frenzy! My hubby has also decided that now was a good opportunity to go on a 5 day fishing trip with the boys so I'm stuck at home prepping meals for the kids and finding myself salivating every meal time! arghhh Someone tell me its worth it to keep going.... I lost 4kg in the first 2 days of Opti (fluids I'm assuming) and now I haven't lost any weight for 4 days now so my motivation to keep going is slowing dying!!! 

Heaviest weight: 122kg Jan 2017
Pre-Opti: 110kg 8/7/17
Current: 106kg 14/7/17
Back to top Go down
Lacey21
Lacey21

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2011-09-05

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptySun 26 Mar 2017, 11:07 pm

Hi Aussiebro and greenfrog,
Iv'e never heard of those bars, I think I'm over opti anything lol and need to opt out of opti anything and eat normal food but little portions. 

Green frog yeah I get that, me too, there are just somethings I can eat fast but others I can't even get down, so it's still working but not as it should do. 

I'm giving up drinking alcohol today for a while. I go to the doctors next week that's attached to my surgeon so I have to make a good impression lol :)

Lace 
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptySun 26 Mar 2017, 11:27 am

I havn't heard of those bars, may be better checking with your surgeons office.

I will also say, it still shocks me I can eat a whole packet of large chips, or popcorn in under 5 minutes... but I can't drink a glass of water in 5 minutes!!!
Or 1 cup of real food takes me at least 15 minutes, im always the slowest eater.
Anyway...
Back to top Go down
Aussiebro

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-03-23

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptySun 26 Mar 2017, 2:15 am

Has anyone tried the isagenix pre-op?  The shakes and bars were ok, but I failed at the diet, I have heaps left, so wondering if I can use them pre-op?
Back to top Go down
Lacey21
Lacey21

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptySun 19 Mar 2017, 3:36 am

Hello guys,

Iv'e seen the Aldi trim bars, they look ok. Fat is good for you. The right sort that is. I do the Atkins diet all the time. I lose a bit and then I put some on but I really want this re-sleeve. It's doing my head in when I can eat lol. 8kg jagxclusive well done you :)

Aniseed I'm hearing you, Iv'e tried everything, it's not our fault most of the time, we have the body that we have because of many different reasons not just because we eat pizza. It get's on my nerves when people say 'oh you must eat all the time' well no actually I don't I eat the wrong crap because my lifestyle is so fast. Stomachs are meant to get bigger that's what they do. The Paris Hiltons of the er eat a lettuce leaf a day and then drink alcohol and then throw up... That's just what they do. 

All bodies are different and sometimes the only way forward is surgery. 

look at this link from Dr Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtxwzUX1eNs

It explains a lot. Some of these doctors who he deals with are still in the dark ages. We lose before we win, so I'm not beating myself up. 

I have an appointment in April with my surgeon and doctor. They said to me that the sleeve is now like a hip replacement, it's good for at least five years and then you have to have it done again. 

This made sense to me as the stomach stretches. So lets see what they say to me.

You're doing great guys, just one step every day is better than no step at all. If you can leave alcohol or crisp out for one day it's better than eating it every day. :) xx
Back to top Go down
Aniseed
Aniseed

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2017-03-03

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptyFri 17 Mar 2017, 9:57 pm

jagxclusive wrote:
Aniseed, when I was preparing for the sleeve I thought I had to eat everything beforehand as I THOUGHT that i would never be able to eat it again. I wish someone told me that.... YOU CAN EAT ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, ESPECIALLY ICE CREAM AND CHIPS AND CHOCOLATES IN GREAT VOLUMES from about 3 months after. You think you can get away with it too because you are still losing weight then so you keep doing it.  6 months after the sleeve i stopped losing and by 2 years out had GAINED NEARLY ALL with severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  So please do not think you can't ever eat this garbage again. The sleeve does not limit junk food.  Unfortunately, you can, and if your head doesn't stop you, like me, then you actually eat MORE of it because your tummy is small and healthy foods/proteins can only fit mouthfuls. Tell yourself that you can eat whatever you want -- later. And hope that you don't want it.

Thanks Jagxclusive,

This weight loss gig is such a head game isn't it!?!
I'm trying again to eat in moderation. I crave chocolate around my monthly's and I give in way too easily.

I'll keep you I'm mind and do my best to use this tool the best as possible...3 months doesn't sound like enough to turn your life around! :(
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptyFri 17 Mar 2017, 1:55 am

Aniseed, when I was preparing for the sleeve I thought I had to eat everything beforehand as I THOUGHT that i would never be able to eat it again. I wish someone told me that.... YOU CAN EAT ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, ESPECIALLY ICE CREAM AND CHIPS AND CHOCOLATES IN GREAT VOLUMES from about 3 months after. You think you can get away with it too because you are still losing weight then so you keep doing it.  6 months after the sleeve i stopped losing and by 2 years out had GAINED NEARLY ALL with severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  So please do not think you can't ever eat this garbage again. The sleeve does not limit junk food.  Unfortunately, you can, and if your head doesn't stop you, like me, then you actually eat MORE of it because your tummy is small and healthy foods/proteins can only fit mouthfuls. Tell yourself that you can eat whatever you want -- later. And hope that you don't want it.
Back to top Go down
Aniseed
Aniseed

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptyTue 14 Mar 2017, 12:28 am

jagxclusive wrote:
i've been doing a majority diet of Aldi slim n trim bars, and some of their meal replacement shakes. the first four days i thought i was dying, severe withdrawal headaches, diarhea,  felt constantly dehydrated, etc. after that my sweet tooth seemed to simmer down. I have been eating other stuff, not craving junk. Mainly eat meal bars and decaf coffee with milk and sugar. I've even lowered the sugar to a quarter teaspoon as it tastes too sweet to me now. BUT I crave fat. I eat fried chicken with skin lashed with salt. (I never used to crave salt but i figure i need it now). I have lost 8kg so far. It is much slower loss compared to pre sleeve, but I feel a thousand times better for it. My neck fat isn't choking me now.... ! And I never mentioned the bars to anyone. I just did it. When people ask me to eat with them I say "oh i had a late breakfast" or something like that. I find it much easier to deal with that way.  No one has noticed my weight loss, but I feel it. Didn't think i could do it, but here i am, one day at a time, essentially still eating what i want but importantly not craving sweets. Didn't think I could do it actually, but I just take it day by day, hour by hour, and don't beat myself up. I stick to no plan.

Well done! Keep going...if you're noticing it others will too, and you said you're feeling better and that's the main objective right!
Keep us informed okay!
I'll have to check out Aldi shakes! Also, have you tried taking a magnesium supplement to help with salt cravings?

"It's horrible stuff YUK... 
I have tried some more shakes but to be honest I don't like shakes and they don't fill me up. I work as a teacher so it is high octane all the time and I feel frazzled when I drink shakes.
what are you doing? :)"

@Lacey21 - My 2 week pre-op fast doesn't start until next month...I've been eating way too much telling myself these big meals won't last forever so enjoy them now...Totally the wrong head space! I even bought a big box of indulgent choc icecreams last night and have devoured half...hello, this is why I have a weight problem.
I do have The Healthy Mummy shakes at home. I don't like them...but will make myself drink them for two weeks prior to surgery...that, or I'll live on watery vege soup I'll make myself...long story short, I've tried a few different shakes and have failed to find one I like without adding peanut butter, banana and cacao which almost defeats the purpose and I don't think would be advisable in the pre-op fast.
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptySun 12 Mar 2017, 6:54 am

i've been doing a majority diet of Aldi slim n trim bars, and some of their meal replacement shakes. the first four days i thought i was dying, severe withdrawal headaches, diarhea,  felt constantly dehydrated, etc. after that my sweet tooth seemed to simmer down. I have been eating other stuff, not craving junk. Mainly eat meal bars and decaf coffee with milk and sugar. I've even lowered the sugar to a quarter teaspoon as it tastes too sweet to me now. BUT I crave fat. I eat fried chicken with skin lashed with salt. (I never used to crave salt but i figure i need it now). I have lost 8kg so far. It is much slower loss compared to pre sleeve, but I feel a thousand times better for it. My neck fat isn't choking me now.... ! And I never mentioned the bars to anyone. I just did it. When people ask me to eat with them I say "oh i had a late breakfast" or something like that. I find it much easier to deal with that way.  No one has noticed my weight loss, but I feel it. Didn't think i could do it, but here i am, one day at a time, essentially still eating what i want but importantly not craving sweets. Didn't think I could do it actually, but I just take it day by day, hour by hour, and don't beat myself up. I stick to no plan.
Back to top Go down
Lacey21
Lacey21

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptySun 12 Mar 2017, 2:42 am

It's horrible stuff YUK... 

I have tried some more shakes but to be honest I don't like shakes and they don't fill me up. I work as a teacher so it is high octane all the time and I feel frazzled when I drink shakes.

what are you doing? :)
Back to top Go down
Aniseed
Aniseed

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptySat 11 Mar 2017, 11:44 pm

Lacey21 wrote:
Hi jagxclusive

Opti is horrid... I'm doing Atkins and Opti together... well it's not Opti its another brand that tastes ok. 

Wait, wait... It doesn't have to be Optifast?
Fabulous. What other brands have people used? Optifast looks expensive and reading along it appears that most people don't like it!
Back to top Go down
Lacey21
Lacey21

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptyFri 13 Jan 2017, 9:52 pm

Hi anyone out there. 

Day 6 and Iv'e lost 1.8 kilos since I started my shake down diet. Iv'e cheated, Iv'e had wine, not no more though it made me feel terrible.. 

So nearly at the end of 7 days. I'm doing this for 14 days then re-accessing my diet. I need to lose 10 kilos by Feb 9th if I can. :)

Lace
Back to top Go down
Lacey21
Lacey21

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptyTue 10 Jan 2017, 12:53 am

Yeah it's hard work...

I like the part where you annoy yourself, I do that too. lol :)

And I didn't lose an ounce of weight. Sounds about right but I'll stick to it. It's the only thing I can do. 

Ok day 2 lets see what it brings. :)

Thanks for the support.

Lace
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptyMon 09 Jan 2017, 12:52 pm

thats a good idea, aim for 5kg. i often feel i need a retreat away for 6 months. ... very hard to focus on myself.... and when i do i just annoy me anyway!! all the best, let us know how you go!
Back to top Go down
Lacey21
Lacey21

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptyMon 09 Jan 2017, 3:24 am

Hi jagxclusive

Yeah it's hard duck it really is. I think you need about 6 months of life just to concentrate on yourself. I am always one step forward and about 10 back. 

Opti is horrid... I'm doing Atkins and Opti together... well it's not Opti its another brand that tastes ok. 

I find this combination works for me. Loads of protein and hardly any carbs. You feel a bit knackered but it works and I'm only giving myself two weeks and see where I go from there. So I have a cut off date. 

No alcohol for 14 days which is going to kill me.  

Surgeons are hard work, they have no idea how this condition of obesity debilitates you. We also have lives to live as well and jobs to hold down, are Mums and wives... it's really hard and I will argue the point with anyone who tells me its not or just say 'why don't you just stop eating'... well 'try not breathing for two weeks and lets see how you get on'... GROWL... 

Take one day at a time jagxclusive and see what you can do one day at a time. 

My doctor said to me the benefit of losing only 5 kilos is amazing. So I'm going to try and aim for that in this next two weeks.

No-one knows the stats on re-sleeving as it is relevantly new. I know someone who has had it and she is pleased with the result. 

I know it's not easy but you have to be selfish and think of you and say NO a lot. "no thank you I can't come out for coffee or dinner' friends and family will understand if they love you. If not SOD EM!!

As Marshall Mathers said:

You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime (yo)

Day one going good so far, I'll keep you posted :) x
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptySun 08 Jan 2017, 2:16 pm

Hi Lacey,
I'm just over 3 years out and back to surgery weight. My iron is also very low, recently had another iron infusion. My surgeon said that when my iron levels are back up to do 6 weeks opti and then try to stick to the right foods before going any further with any other options.  Ok, so I've had the infusion.... and every single damn day I wake up and say I'll start opti.... and I actually for some reason just don't do it! Last time i lost 10kg in 2 weeks as well for surgery. Now I'm looking at 6 weeks and dieting forever... couldn't do it before that's why i had the sleeve.... so how on earth can i do it now??!!!!! 
I would love to hear how you go. I don't know the success stats on re-sleeving. Headed for surgery you can opti!! .. and I'll think about starting tomorrow.....  last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! 81722 all the best with yours!
Back to top Go down
Lacey21
Lacey21

Female

PostSubject: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! EmptySun 08 Jan 2017, 3:15 am

Hello fellow sleeve supporters 

Ok short synopsis... 

had sleeve 2011 worked, now I regained most of the weight back. Due for a re-sleeve in July 2017. Before my re-sleeve date I thought I would try the two week optifast diet again. Last time I did it (to the letter) I lost 10 kilos in 14 days. 

I really do hate the fact I can't eat anything when I know I can lol. I also drink alcohol so that's going to have to knocked on the head. I find water gives me heart burn (probably watering down the alcohol intake). 

So here I go again with the two weeks shake diet. Starts Monday (tomorrow). Every diet starts Monday lol. 

Anyone else out there trying this again for the millionth time?

Lace :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!   last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK! Empty

Back to top Go down

last ditch attempt at the Optifast shake diet... YUK!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: