8 posters
AuthorMessage
smeggles
smeggles

Female
Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Stupid question about protein shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptyThu 03 May 2012, 7:53 am

Hey Miss Hel, that is an interesting article!!

makes you think about how much money the companies make from selling protein powders and drinks etc.... $$$$$$$ it is gold for them.....
Using enzymes seems smart but it is just another cost...

Oh well maybe small doses over the day and protein added to other foods might be the way...
I wish someone could work out a way so protein could be rapidly absorbed!

Good luck with your op
Back to top Go down
MissHel
Part of the furniture
MissHel

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptyTue 01 May 2012, 10:58 am

Hey thanks Smeggles! Always happy to get better informed. And wow - quick research!
Can't for the life of me figure out why my dietician would recommend liquid protein if it doesn't get absorbed.

And I just read this article and it seems that the best thing I can do is find a whey powder that I can tolerate and sip it over the day - Poo! And I thought I'd found something easier!
Back to top Go down
smeggles
smeggles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptyTue 01 May 2012, 10:55 am

Have found out a little more..
there are other brands and some that give a higher dose of protein. Across the board the taste is questionable but as they are small and easily downed most say they just drink it down and deal with the taste.
As far as the effectiveness of the protein goes i haven't found out any more info. I guess as a supplement these may be good but if you are using them for muscle gain etc they are apparently not worth it.

Anyway hope it helps..
The other brands of protein shots are
Pure Protein shots,
Proasis Protein shots,
Body Fortress Super whey,
Worldwide sports pure protein,
IDS Pure Protein,
Muscle Tech Smart Protein,
Bullet Nutrition Protein,

There are plenty of brands out there... I think i will go buy myself some to try them out....
Back to top Go down
smeggles
smeggles

Female

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptyTue 01 May 2012, 10:26 am

Hi Miss Hel,
I just did a search on the product and found this review on it from amazon site. A lot of people complained about the taste of these, but you can drink it in 3 seconds so I didn't care about that. However, after a friend told me "that stuff is useless - do some research", I decide to. Basically, the reason it's cheaper than other whey protein is because they use "a proprietary blend", which includes "Collagen Protein Isolate". On the label it's the first protein list. It's also the least effective and cheapest.

This protein has a PER (Protein Efficiency Ratio - Google it) of almost 0. It contains little or no tryptophane, one of the essential Amino Acids necessary for the formation and utilization of all the other Amino Acids. It is a lot cheaper for a manufacturer to purchase hydrolyzed gelatin than the special whey American Body Building uses, which is a natural milk protein naturally extracted during the processing of cheese, after which the lactose, a milk sugar, is removed.

Surprisingly the site with the most straight forward info wasn't a place known for bodybuilders:
[...]

If you are taking this to build muscle, you are wasting your money. Whether it has 42g of protein or not doesn't matter - it's not getting absorbed into your body, so it's empty calories. If this wasn't the case, the mfg would be much more clear on how much of their proprietary formula is true whey protein. They aren't, because it's probably not very much.

Find something with 100% whey protein.

I haven't tried it but it seems as though for the price it may not be as beneficial as first thought. I noticed your link and thought it would be a great way to up my protein. Not sure i will try it now especially if the protein in it is not absorbed and is also the least effective. I will do some more background on it and hopefully find something better.
Good luck. Hope the information helps you and others to make an informed choice on the product.

Also just realised it did say if you are wanting to build muscle so maybe as a dietary protein it may be effective i will do more research...
Back to top Go down
MissHel
Part of the furniture
MissHel

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptyTue 01 May 2012, 9:47 am

I've just discovered something called New Whey Liquid Protein - its 100 mls of fruit flavoured drink in a little plastic tube.
Each dose has no fat and no carbs but 42 grams of protein.

I think they're about 5 bucks per dose or less if you buy more. One place online had 12 for $55.
I was thinking I'm gonna buy 24 and use them daily immediately post op for 2 weeks and then as I get to eat a bit more meat down the track, I'll have one every second day or so.

They look awesome for healing tho and 100mls shouldn't cause too many probs - and they're fruity not milky - which makes me yak anyway!

And heres a picture (and info!)

Info on it
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptySun 29 Apr 2012, 1:04 am

I made mine up as per normal ie 250 mls water.

I could get half cup in, so used to have half for morning tea and the other half for lunch.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptySat 28 Apr 2012, 3:29 pm

You should be able to drink more than a quarter cup at a time.. It's more so foods (I know you're on thin liquids, but shakes n soups are different) that you should be sticking to 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time.

Just drink what you can.
Back to top Go down
CherryRipe
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptyThu 26 Apr 2012, 2:15 am

What they said. And no, the question doesn't make you sound slow!!
:-)
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptyThu 26 Apr 2012, 1:49 am

I just made mine up as normal then drank as much as i could really,it gets easier
Back to top Go down
Serina

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptyThu 26 Apr 2012, 1:35 am

I make mine as normal (think would be gross and harder to digest) and I would sip away until I felt like I had had enough (not easy in the beginning) then I would pop it back in the fridge and come back to it later. In the first week I only managed 2 protein shakes a day and it would take me ALL day to get them down. After the first 2 weeks it’s easier, you just have to persist in those first few weeks and do what you can.

Serina
Back to top Go down
twistedbydesign
twistedbydesign

Female
Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2011-09-10

PostSubject: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes EmptyWed 25 Apr 2012, 11:51 pm

ok, i KNOW this might make me sound a little slow, but i'm wondering in the first couple of weeks after the surgery how do you fit in a protein shake if you can only drink 1/4 a cup at a time? do you just make it with that little water? seems like it would be extra thick and kind of gross...

or do you just sip on it until you're done?

Stupid question about protein shakes 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question about protein shakes   Stupid question about protein shakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Stupid question about protein shakes
Page 1 of 1