hayley_james
hayley_james

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-09-22

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 4:53 am

First topic message reminder :

I am wondering if anyone else has been unlucky and developed a leak after their surgeries???!!!

I was sleeved on 17th September 2008 by Dr France. It wasn't until early December 08 that I began feeling unwell with vomiting. I was admitted to the Bundaberg Base hospital and the Dr's ran some swallow test and it showed nothing unusual so I was discharged and sent home.

Two days later I was still vomiting and generally feeling unwell so I went to see my GP and she admitted me straight away into one of the local private hospitals. It was there that a CT scan was ordered. The doctor came to tell me that there was a collection behind my stomach and that none of the surgeons in Bundaberg wanted anything to do with me because of the Sleeve Gastrectomy (Apparently they didn't know anything about this type of surgery). They arranged for me to be seen by Dr George Hopkins in Brisbane. About 10pm that day I was flown by the Royal Flying Doctors to Brisbane, it was during flight that the "collection" (abscess) ruptured (the pain was unbearable). I was taken directly into surgery. About two weeks later (xmas eve) I was told that I would have to have another surgery because another collection was forming. After each surgery I woke up in the ICU. Was told that I would be in hospital for some time, as I had to fight the massive infection.

So after the abscess was taken care of they began searching for the reason, it was there that they discovered the leaks. Both leaks were at the very top of my stomach, (one leak was quite large). Instead of having another surgery to fix the leaks I took the option of having a stent placed in via an endoscopy which has to be removed after 3 months. The stent is covering the holes, doctors are hoping the holes will heal themselves (fingers crossed).

So after 8 weeks in hospital I am finally at home. Medically I feel fine now..... by physically I am weak, after spending so much time in bed I have lost all the muscle tone in my legs and I cannot walk. So I have a long road ahead of me!!!

P.S. I think I forgot to mention that I was nil by mouth for 7 weeks.
And I can only have puree foods until the stent is removed, (as the doctors are worried that the stent will migrate and then I will be back where I started).

So basically I had a crappy xmas, crappy new years and I had a crappy birthday!!!!

But I am sure glad to be home!!!!!
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Mez

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptyMon 02 Feb 2009, 6:23 am

Thanks Hayley for your reply

I have 100% faith in Dr France, will take each step as it comes.

Take care and wishing you a very speedy recovery.
Back to top Go down
nomesskinnypants
nomesskinnypants

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptyMon 02 Feb 2009, 5:49 am

Thanks for replying hayley. I wish you a speedy recovery kiss
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptyMon 02 Feb 2009, 1:54 am

Mez wrote:
Oooh Hayley...you poor luv. I am glad to hear that you are feeling better now, but very sorry to hear of the bad run that you had. Things can only get better from now on.

I am having my sleeve Next Thursday with Dr France, and my nerves have a started to kick in a little ( but also very excited). When you were in hospital in Adelaide, did you have all the tests for the leaks? I am a just a little concerned.

Yes, I was in hospital for 3 days at the Ashford and I had the test done for the leaks. I was aware of the risks, I guess I was just unlucky. I hope nobody else has to go through what I have been through. Dr France is an amazing surgeon, your in safe hands!
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptyMon 02 Feb 2009, 1:50 am

Rice cake wrote:
Oh Haley, not the best start but at least you are on the mend now. I hope you don't have too much pain from the stent, sometimes they can be right buggers and cause pain.

My surgeon told me there is still chances of getting a leak after the surgery even if the dye test shows no leak and that a stent would have to be placed. I can't remember what the time period was though. I'll put that on my question list right now so I know!

I have to go back in 3 months to have the stent removed.
Back to top Go down
Mez

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 8:22 pm

Oooh Hayley...you poor luv. I am glad to hear that you are feeling better now, but very sorry to hear of the bad run that you had. Things can only get better from now on.

I am having my sleeve Next Thursday with Dr France, and my nerves have a started to kick in a little ( but also very excited). When you were in hospital in Adelaide, did you have all the tests for the leaks? I am a just a little concerned.
Back to top Go down

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 1:08 pm

Oh Haley, not the best start but at least you are on the mend now. I hope you don't have too much pain from the stent, sometimes they can be right buggers and cause pain.

My surgeon told me there is still chances of getting a leak after the surgery even if the dye test shows no leak and that a stent would have to be placed. I can't remember what the time period was though. I'll put that on my question list right now so I know!
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 12:49 pm

Oh gosh Hayley, I really feel for you ...what a torrid time the past few months have been for you..........

I really hope that you are on the road to healthiness and feeling stronger now......

Hugs
Bella :))

ps.... treat yourself to a decadent luxury......massage & day spa treatments bath or something that takes your fancy....sound like you really deserve it !

xx
Back to top Go down
mydear
mydear

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: prayers for you   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 11:54 am

good to hear that they finally found out what the problem was. i pray that all goes well for you here on out. i also pray that you have a speedy recovery and good health, mydear
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 7:56 am

nomesskinnypants wrote:
Hayley,

I am sorry to hear of the issues you had with your sleeve, must have been horrible! I am, however, pleased that you are on your way to recovery.

Do you mind if I ask, do you blame the surgeon? Did you move to Bundaberg or were you on holidays? Did anyone contact Dr France? If its too many questions, sorry. Leaks!!!! - Page 4 796297

Here's to a speedy recovery Leaks!!!! - Page 4 217555

No.. I don't blame the surgeon, I was fully informed as I am sure everyone is that there is a risk of developing a leak.
I have always lived in Bundaberg but sorta had a mini holiday and had surgery at the same time in Adelaide.

Dr France is aware that I developed a leak, but because the abscess ruptured there wasn't time to fly to Adelaide to have Dr France repair the leak.
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 7:28 am

gee what a bummer. I am so glad that you are on the mend. hopefully this will be the end of your delima.hoping that the stint works.
take care and exercise those legs
Back to top Go down
nomesskinnypants
nomesskinnypants

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 7:16 am

Hayley,

I am sorry to hear of the issues you had with your sleeve, must have been horrible! I am, however, pleased that you are on your way to recovery.

Do you mind if I ask, do you blame the surgeon? Did you move to Bundaberg or were you on holidays? Did anyone contact Dr France? If its too many questions, sorry. Leaks!!!! - Page 4 796297

Here's to a speedy recovery Leaks!!!! - Page 4 217555
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 6:54 am

Hi Hayley, I am so sorry that you have had to go through this, it sounds like such an awful experience.

I truly hope that you are now on the road to recovery, and that life continues to get better for you from now on.

xx
Tamara
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 6:39 am

jigs wrote:
Hi Hayley, sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it lately, hope you are well and truly on the mend now. I was told the danger time for leaks was the first 2 weeks after surgery.I couldn't leave the hospital until i'd had that terrible blue dye test which would detect any leaks.

I also had the blue dye test whilst I was in hospital the morning after the operation. I am baffled as to why the leak went undetected for 2 months.
Back to top Go down
jigs
jigs

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 6:28 am

Hi Hayley, sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it lately, hope you are well and truly on the mend now. I was told the danger time for leaks was the first 2 weeks after surgery.I couldn't leave the hospital until i'd had that terrible blue dye test which would detect any leaks.
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 6:21 am

Hi Hayley

I replied to another of your posts in the monthly post but then found this post and boy oh boy you have had a really rough time. No wonder you have lost an enormous amount of weight and feeling so weak after being nil by mouth for 7 weeks!!!!!!! Leaks!!!! - Page 4 878453

One can only imagine what you have been through. My surgeon told me a leak may surface the week straight after the op or another dangerous period was 7 - 12 days after the op. I didnt know it could still happen 2 - 3 months after!!!!!

You certainly did have a crappy xmas, new year and birthday and just hope that you are over the worst now.

Will be thinking of you and sending you all the best wishes for a speedy recovery.

kiss Jilly
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 4:53 am

I am wondering if anyone else has been unlucky and developed a leak after their surgeries???!!!

I was sleeved on 17th September 2008 by Dr France. It wasn't until early December 08 that I began feeling unwell with vomiting. I was admitted to the Bundaberg Base hospital and the Dr's ran some swallow test and it showed nothing unusual so I was discharged and sent home.

Two days later I was still vomiting and generally feeling unwell so I went to see my GP and she admitted me straight away into one of the local private hospitals. It was there that a CT scan was ordered. The doctor came to tell me that there was a collection behind my stomach and that none of the surgeons in Bundaberg wanted anything to do with me because of the Sleeve Gastrectomy (Apparently they didn't know anything about this type of surgery). They arranged for me to be seen by Dr George Hopkins in Brisbane. About 10pm that day I was flown by the Royal Flying Doctors to Brisbane, it was during flight that the "collection" (abscess) ruptured (the pain was unbearable). I was taken directly into surgery. About two weeks later (xmas eve) I was told that I would have to have another surgery because another collection was forming. After each surgery I woke up in the ICU. Was told that I would be in hospital for some time, as I had to fight the massive infection.

So after the abscess was taken care of they began searching for the reason, it was there that they discovered the leaks. Both leaks were at the very top of my stomach, (one leak was quite large). Instead of having another surgery to fix the leaks I took the option of having a stent placed in via an endoscopy which has to be removed after 3 months. The stent is covering the holes, doctors are hoping the holes will heal themselves (fingers crossed).

So after 8 weeks in hospital I am finally at home. Medically I feel fine now..... by physically I am weak, after spending so much time in bed I have lost all the muscle tone in my legs and I cannot walk. So I have a long road ahead of me!!!

P.S. I think I forgot to mention that I was nil by mouth for 7 weeks.
And I can only have puree foods until the stent is removed, (as the doctors are worried that the stent will migrate and then I will be back where I started).

So basically I had a crappy xmas, crappy new years and I had a crappy birthday!!!!

But I am sure glad to be home!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Leaks!!!!
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4