AuthorMessage
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 10:02 am

Thank you Melinda :)

I'm glad I had such a good support team of professionals around me post-op or things may be a lot worse!
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female
Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2011-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 9:34 am

You look great LMC!
It's great when you have surgeons & nurses that are on the ball. I'm so happy it's all working out for you!
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 8:30 am

In relation as to why some people get so ill from a leak and take months to recover, I can only assume that this is dependent on how long the leak had been happening and how long it took to be picked up.

I developed a leak the night after my surgery, the nurses & doctors picked up on it pretty much instantly, and I was operated on just hours after it was picked up.
I had drains put in, and spent 4 extra days in icu, but I recovered from the leak after a week.
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 8:19 am

Thanks Melinda :) This photo is 5 years old, I love it, its the best pic of my Mum and I.. we are both alot smaller now. My Mum is my hero and rock, she had her sleeve done 2 years ago and she inspired me to go ahead and do it.

Your surgeon sounds great, extra careful and particular just how we want them :) Hope time flies for you before your op xxx
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 3:34 am

Great update Kate. My Dr does the same. 2 layers of stitching and then the glue.
Ps: love your avatar photo!

Last edited by Melinda38 on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 3:30 am

Hi Liz,

I had my surgery done by Mr Michell, I think from memory he is also yours.

Mr Michell would have explained to you that he stitches two layers of stitches along the new tummy and then goes down through your mouth and glues from the inside, he is extra super cautious.

Unfortunately I was really really paranoid about getting a leak as my Mum had a very bad one (but this was with a different surgeon). Day 2 after surgery Mr Michell was a little worried that I might have a leak because I was incredibly nauseated and after the swallow test he thought there may possibly be a tiny leak... they took me straight down to have a scan to see what was going on.. by the time I had the scan Mr Michell was waiting for me to be wheeled out and had the results, there was no leak.. He walked by my side whilst I was being taken back to my room and apologised for worrying me, he joked that I had him a little paranoid because of what happened to my mother. I later found out Mr Michell had organised a operating room to have me in there that afternoon to fix the possible leak.

Mr Michell doesn't muck around. He is a incredibly patient and understanding gentlemen. I cant recommend him enough. Any further questions, feel free to message me xxx
Back to top Go down
Melinda38
Part of the furniture
Melinda38

Female

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 1:12 am

They also use a special glue that sometimes works better. When the surgeon is inside you he looks around first to see the shape & size of your stomach. He checks to see if it is an unusual shape. He then takes a measurement to see what size bougie he will need to use. Back when this was solely for cancer stomach patients they never did the measurement. On a world wide review the surgeons decided this measurement is vital for success. Since this review fewer leaks have occurred. The Australian surgical board is cracking down on irresponsible surgeons and the hospitals themselves are refusing certain surgeons until they improve their infection rate. The stomach isn't a perfect shape so as they stitch a gap may occur. Some surgeons do a dble stitch (mine dose). There is no place in your body besides the stomach that can cope with gastric fluid. It highly acidic to break down foods etc. The same fluid can begin to break down other parts of your inside. For example when you have a vomiting bug your mouth and chin may start to breakdown. So you end up with ulcers and sores. Inside your abdominal cavity it's hard to know where the acid has touched. So they do what is called 'a washout' but there's lots if nooks and crannies so it's possible that they still may miss it. Like firie said the bacteria combined with the acid is highly detrimental to you other organs.

A bit long winded but I hope that helps. Basically it's up to your surgeons skills in cross stitch! Think of the worst shape to sew around -like a star- (not that your stomach looks like a star) add darkness, a small environment, only being able to use long extensions of your arms/hands and you'll understand the skill the surgeons need to have.

Xx
Back to top Go down
MissPea

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 12:42 am

My surgeon said they sew the leak shut but it tends to reopen. I asked why and he said because the tissue is quite fibrous the acid in your stomach eats through and slowly leaks out again.
Back to top Go down
onlyjustbegun

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 12:10 am

I don't understand that, either, Liz.. Anyone know??
Back to top Go down
Firie75
Part of the furniture
Firie75

Female
Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptySat 22 Oct 2011, 12:39 am

Hi Liz

From what I understand they do sew up the leak, but the problem is the resulting infections that wreak havoc from the leak. The gastric contents that leak out of the stomach are choc full of bacteria hence the resulting infection and sepsis (which can be deadly). The infections damage the tissues of the stomach and its surrounding tissues and organs and can make healing slow and difficult for some people which puts the person in danger of more leaks later on as the staple line wound fails to heal properly. This will often result in more surgery and antibiotics and time in hospital. Well trained and experienced surgeons will do their utmost to prevent leaks but as my surgeon has said to me while he has done over 300 sleeves with no leak as yet, statistically it will happen to a patient one day. It is the biggest risk of the sleeve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer EmptyTue 18 Oct 2011, 12:31 pm

After reading and listening to various stories over the last few weeks I have decided I am still confused.
If you get a leak (god forbid!!!) why doesn't it just get sewn up again straight away? I keep hearing about these people having leaks for weeks/months/years that aren't healed yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer   Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer Empty

Back to top Go down

Confused over leaks...maybe someone here has the answer
Page 1 of 1