hayley_james
hayley_james

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-09-22

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 01 Feb 2009, 4:53 am

First topic message reminder :

I am wondering if anyone else has been unlucky and developed a leak after their surgeries???!!!

I was sleeved on 17th September 2008 by Dr France. It wasn't until early December 08 that I began feeling unwell with vomiting. I was admitted to the Bundaberg Base hospital and the Dr's ran some swallow test and it showed nothing unusual so I was discharged and sent home.

Two days later I was still vomiting and generally feeling unwell so I went to see my GP and she admitted me straight away into one of the local private hospitals. It was there that a CT scan was ordered. The doctor came to tell me that there was a collection behind my stomach and that none of the surgeons in Bundaberg wanted anything to do with me because of the Sleeve Gastrectomy (Apparently they didn't know anything about this type of surgery). They arranged for me to be seen by Dr George Hopkins in Brisbane. About 10pm that day I was flown by the Royal Flying Doctors to Brisbane, it was during flight that the "collection" (abscess) ruptured (the pain was unbearable). I was taken directly into surgery. About two weeks later (xmas eve) I was told that I would have to have another surgery because another collection was forming. After each surgery I woke up in the ICU. Was told that I would be in hospital for some time, as I had to fight the massive infection.

So after the abscess was taken care of they began searching for the reason, it was there that they discovered the leaks. Both leaks were at the very top of my stomach, (one leak was quite large). Instead of having another surgery to fix the leaks I took the option of having a stent placed in via an endoscopy which has to be removed after 3 months. The stent is covering the holes, doctors are hoping the holes will heal themselves (fingers crossed).

So after 8 weeks in hospital I am finally at home. Medically I feel fine now..... by physically I am weak, after spending so much time in bed I have lost all the muscle tone in my legs and I cannot walk. So I have a long road ahead of me!!!

P.S. I think I forgot to mention that I was nil by mouth for 7 weeks.
And I can only have puree foods until the stent is removed, (as the doctors are worried that the stent will migrate and then I will be back where I started).

So basically I had a crappy xmas, crappy new years and I had a crappy birthday!!!!

But I am sure glad to be home!!!!!
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
tracey
Sponsor

Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Apr 2009, 8:42 am

Hey Lib,

i used to get a really bad stitch like pain after i vaccuumed or did other housework i wasn't supposed to do.

hope you are taking it easier today
tracey
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Apr 2009, 7:50 am

Feel better soon.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Apr 2009, 7:48 am

Yeah I kind of figured that. I really over did things yesterday and am paying for it today, but it seems to have settled down today! Thanks Deb
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Apr 2009, 7:47 am

Not a very specific answer sorry but my surgeon said, "If you have a leak, you will know about it."
As in hurts like hell.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Apr 2009, 7:06 am

I doubt it is, thought I'd just ask!
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Leak symptoms?   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Apr 2009, 5:48 am

Just wondering what the symptoms of a leak would be?

I have had a few stabbing pains in my side, and I have a really sore back.
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptySat 04 Apr 2009, 12:42 pm

Hey!!

Charlie!! Thanks for the concern but nope not dead!!

Oma - I didn't know I had a leak until about 3 months after the initial Sleeve surgery. But unlike Jezzybel's mother I wasn't in any great deal of pain. I can barely remember what it was like now, everything is a bit fuzzy, I can just remember the constant vomiting and when I tried to lay on my right side it was painful.

But on the bright side, I had my stent removed yesterday and have finally been given the all clear!! The hole is no longer there!!!! YAY!!! So I celebrated last night indulging in a little KFC! Unfortunately I paid for it this morning, my body is so not used to the fatty foods anymore.

- Hayley!
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 29 Mar 2009, 10:29 am

Hey Oma,
Judging from my mum's experience, you know you have a leak because - you're in excruciating pain. Hers was initially attributed to gall stones, gall bladder and pancreatitis, before it was realised several months later that the reason the pain was still there was because it was coming from a leak and associated abscess. It's not the kind of pain you can ignore, if you have a leak, you will end up in hospital, and they will work it out there.
Back to top Go down
Oma
Oma

Female
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 29 Mar 2009, 3:09 am

Hayley,
I just read your entire thread and I cannot believe what you have gone through and survived so well.
Looking at the positive you have lost your weight and made your goal. So you have a different
journey than most of us on the sleeve WLS road.
Just so glad all worked out and you can get back on your feet. (slowly).
Leaks!!!! - Page 3 217555
Hugs,
Oma
Back to top Go down
Oma
Oma

Female
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 29 Mar 2009, 3:00 am

Hayley,
How do you know if you have a leak once the drain is out?
Oma
Back to top Go down
Charlie
Charlie

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-11-16

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 29 Mar 2009, 2:06 am

Hey guys...

Oh this is going to seem morbid, but Hayley are you around?? I have heard that there was a death of a 24-25 year old female from a leak complication with the sleeve. So scarey, but please Hayley when you get a chance please pop in and say hello!! I am dreadfully worried!!

Luv Charlie
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyTue 03 Mar 2009, 9:44 am

Waynel wrote:
Hi Hayley
My name is Natalie and my husband is in Cabrini hospital in Melbourne with complications from a gastric sleeve operation. He was sleeved on 8 January 2009, and 7 weeks later is still in hospital after 3 absesses and 4 drain tubes. They still cant work out if the stomach has sealed. His surgeon (Dr Simon Wood) is recommending a stent and we would like to know what your experience has been with the stent and what the procedure was like for you. He is in a lot of pain and has a 14mm drain tube in his left side which is the fourth one they have re-inserted in the same place - the thrid became infected.

Hi Natalie! Sorry it has taken me a long time to reply.

Well after conducting some research I have found that Leaks are not that uncommon when it comes to the Gastric Sleeve operation. There was another lady in hospital with a leak at the same time I was.

I am so sorry that this has happened to your husband and you. It was extremely scary for me when I found out that I had a leak. There were weeks where I didn't know what was going to happen. I too had a rather large drain in my left side and another drain in the middle of my abdomen, they are extremely unpleasant and painful.

Now onto your question about the stent. I'm going to be perfectly honest with you, I hate the stent!!! I can feel the stent after drinking fluids or after eating or simply when I have to burp, it does cause pain for a few seconds but it passes as soon as it has come. I was informed that the stent is to be removed after three months so that's early April for me (fingers crossed it has worked). The stent is put in endoscopically so that part isn't painful.

I'm not really sure what else to write but if you have any specific questions let me know. I will check this site a bit more frequently.
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 4:56 pm

Hi there Natalie,

I haven't as yet been sleeved so i cant offer any guidance.......but someone who can will pop their heads in here soon.

Just wanted to send you my very best wishes for you hubby and that he is soon fully recovered and enjoying the reasons why he had the sleeve in the first place.

It must ne a worrying time for you too........so keep us all up to date as to how he is going and know that we are all here to support you too.....

Big hugs
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 4:36 pm

You know I worried about having a heart attack, a blood clot in the legs or a stroke, but I never really worried much about a leak. I thought you were clear after passing the leak test unless you broke one of the eating rules - just another example of how oblivious I can be at times.
Back to top Go down

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 10:36 am

Sorry to hear about how it has all been. Before my surgery, the my surgeon told me if I did get a leak the treatment would be stenting. As I never did, I don't know much about how it is done but we use stenting alot in the area of nursing I work in and they are successful for preventing leaks when we do reconstructive bladder surgery, to help healing of other internal plumbing that has been cut and joined and is swollen or damaged. They work on the same principle as the stenting of gastric sleeves leaks.
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 9:53 am

My mum had a leak and abscess, but was never offered a stent, so I can't help with that. Please let us know how he goes with it, as my mum's still having a lot of problems, and if a stent could help, it would be good to have all the info I can on it.
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 9:08 am

7 weeks is a long time to be in hospital. It must be tough on you both.
I hope things turn out OK for him and he is recouperating at home soon.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 7:54 am

Hi Natalie
I'm so sorry to hear that your husband is having such problems after a sleeve operation.
There are so few that we hear about that have real problems, but that doesn't help you.
I can't offer any help on this subject, I'm sorry, but would like to send you both my very best wishes for your husband's complete and quick recovery.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Waynel

Male
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: experiencing a leak   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Feb 2009, 5:32 am

Hi Hayley
My name is Natalie and my husband is in Cabrini hospital in Melbourne with complications from a gastric sleeve operation. He was sleeved on 8 January 2009, and 7 weeks later is still in hospital after 3 absesses and 4 drain tubes. They still cant work out if the stomach has sealed. His surgeon (Dr Simon Wood) is recommending a stent and we would like to know what your experience has been with the stent and what the procedure was like for you. He is in a lot of pain and has a 14mm drain tube in his left side which is the fourth one they have re-inserted in the same place - the thrid became infected.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 09 Feb 2009, 5:27 pm

Gee, you have had it tough, haven't you?
And you had 2 others to go through it with? Wow!
After all you've been through, I hope that the weight loss is proceeding well!!!
And how are you feeling now?
Chris
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 09 Feb 2009, 9:06 am

chrisbychic wrote:
Hi Hayley
Yes, that makes sense - I just wonder that it didn't cause you grief much earlier! That's pretty big, isn't it?
I agree that it's important for others to know the things that can go wrong, as well as right. That was one thing I loved when I found this site - everyone was so straightforward. It can be a little scary when you're researching, or just pre-op, but I believe it's best to go in with eyes wide open because that way you'll cope better with any setbacks.
Best wishes
Chris

Hi Chris!!!

Yeah I was also shocked when I heard the size of the abscess! I was feeling really good, then all of a sudden one day I start vomiting and I have a dull pain in my stomach region.

After I found out what was making me ill I asked straight out how long will I be in hospital for and the response I received no less than 6 weeks. Most of my time in hospital was spent fighting infections. Plus I had problems with my lungs (collapsed on two separate occasions).

Anyhoo, I just wanted to share my story. So people who are researching or pre-op just remember leaks can happen (there were two other people in hospital with leaks the same time I was there).

- Hayley
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 09 Feb 2009, 7:28 am

Hi Hayley
Yes, that makes sense - I just wonder that it didn't cause you grief much earlier! That's pretty big, isn't it?
I agree that it's important for others to know the things that can go wrong, as well as right. That was one thing I loved when I found this site - everyone was so straightforward. It can be a little scary when you're researching, or just pre-op, but I believe it's best to go in with eyes wide open because that way you'll cope better with any setbacks.
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
hayley_james
hayley_james

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptySun 08 Feb 2009, 11:21 pm

chrisbychic wrote:
Hi Hayley
I'm so sorry that you've had so much trouble and been so sick.
Someone mentioned you a few days ago, and I wondered what had been happening to you - now I know!
Hopefully the stent will work well for you, and solve the problem.
Like the others, I was surprised that you'd developed a leak so late - unless they were there for a while, but not causing a problem - I don't even know if that can happen, though.
Best wishes for a complete recovery, and I hope that this is the last problem you have with your new tum.
Hugs
Chris

Thanks Chris!
I just wanted to let other people know that leaks do happen! When I was considering surgery I knew it could happen but like others you just don't think it will happen to you!!!

The surgeon who was looking after me in Brisbane believes that the leak was there all along. The size of the abscess was 7.5cm x 8, so it would have taken time to form. Apparently I had two leaks, both right at the top of my stomach.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 02 Feb 2009, 7:53 pm

Hi Hayley
I'm so sorry that you've had so much trouble and been so sick.
Someone mentioned you a few days ago, and I wondered what had been happening to you - now I know!
Hopefully the stent will work well for you, and solve the problem.
Like the others, I was surprised that you'd developed a leak so late - unless they were there for a while, but not causing a problem - I don't even know if that can happen, though.
Best wishes for a complete recovery, and I hope that this is the last problem you have with your new tum.
Hugs
Chris
Back to top Go down
ang
ang

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 02 Feb 2009, 10:09 am

Hi Hayley,
From a fellow Sept sleever, your run of bad luck is dissapointing,i bet for you and a reminder to us that the surgery may not be foolproof. I had tummy pain in Nov and went to see Dr France. I was worried but had the MRI xray and just had a full bowel. Relief, i can tell you but also reassured me that i have no leaks. I wish you a speedy recovery and a big hug
Ang Leaks!!!! - Page 3 217555
Back to top Go down
Mez

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 EmptyMon 02 Feb 2009, 6:23 am

Thanks Hayley for your reply

I have 100% faith in Dr France, will take each step as it comes.

Take care and wishing you a very speedy recovery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leaks!!!!   Leaks!!!! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Leaks!!!!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next