AuthorMessage
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Surgery Recovery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery Recovery   Surgery Recovery EmptyMon 16 Jan 2012, 1:59 pm

I took 2 weeks & 2 days off work...

I have a pretty sedentary job as well being an accountant, but I'm do glad I took that time off... I ended up spending an entire week in hospital (sleeved Friday afternoon.. Home following Friday afternoon rather than Monday as planned), due to complications.
The other week & a bit I had at home I found I couldn't sit up straight for long periods as it hurt my incision sites.
I also got reallllly tired in the afternoons.

Everyone is different.. Maybe do a trial back at work for a day or two, take the rest of the time off if it's not working... Or keep going if you feel fine.

Good luck with your surgery :)
Back to top Go down
*Genie*
*Genie*

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2011-12-23

Surgery Recovery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery Recovery   Surgery Recovery EmptyMon 16 Jan 2012, 12:55 pm

I'm a week out and starting to feel ok though the tiredness really does creep up and makes working difficult. I also ended up staying in hospital for 5 days because I had trouble getting enough fluid on my own.

Just keep in mind everyone has different experiences and there are risks with trying to push yourself before you're ready.
Back to top Go down
CareBear
Part of the furniture
CareBear

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2011-07-24

Surgery Recovery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery Recovery   Surgery Recovery EmptyMon 16 Jan 2012, 11:07 am

Same here, it took me the whole 2 weeks before I felt human enough to interact with clients and employees. I had the trots a fair bit too so I was glad to be Home near my own loo. I was not able to sit in the one position for long periods either - might be problem if desk bound?. I had periods of profound weakness in the mornings too. I sometimes needed to have a rest after showering and some housework. I was also unable to drive for at least a week, my seatbelt hurt as I had a drainage tube in. Was okay on the passenger side. I was also insulin dependent diabetic so I allowed myself 4 weeks recovery just to be sure I had my BSL's stabilized before returning to work. I could easily have gone back after 3 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Ryjackmama
Part of the furniture
Ryjackmama

Female
Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Surgery Recovery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery Recovery   Surgery Recovery EmptyMon 16 Jan 2012, 5:49 am

I think it took me a good two weeks before I started feeling "normal" again. I got tired pretty quickly, food didn't taste right and if you read some other threads, lots of people can't even drink water at this stage without feeling nauseous.....I think take the 2 weeks, even though you'll just be sitting at the computer I think you're better off at home just in case.
Back to top Go down
kayt83
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Surgery Recovery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery Recovery   Surgery Recovery EmptyMon 16 Jan 2012, 5:29 am

I only took one week off work (my op was on a Saturday, I was in hospital until Monday afternoon then had the rest of the week off).

I have a very sedentary desk job (I'm a lawyer) and didn't find this to be a problem personally, but I'm glad I had the first week off as the first week can be pretty exhausting as you are recovering and generally on a very restricted diet (depending on your surgeon - I was on clear fluids for the first four days). I also worked from home a bit towards the end of the first week which I found fine.

If you can have the two weeks off, it is probably worth it to give you the best chance to relax and recover, but if you really can't you would probably be ok to go back after a week (at least based on my experience). If you do go back after a week though try to take it as easy as possible that week!
Back to top Go down
Karnivool

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Surgery Recovery Empty
PostSubject: Surgery Recovery   Surgery Recovery EmptyMon 16 Jan 2012, 4:52 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm having the sleeve done in a couple of weeks and am excited about how it's going to affect my life, but my main question is recovery.

I see that it's a hospital stay for a couple of days, then I need to take 2 weeks off work. My question is what happens during those 2 weeks and why are they necessary? I have a job where I kinda need to be there (Producer for a large Advertising firm), and most of my day is spent sitting at my computer, which will be what I'd do at home for those 2 weeks anyway.

Is there anything drastic that happens to you during this 2 week period, or since my job is very physically non-demanding, would I be able to head back to work after a few days?

Let me know your experiences :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Surgery Recovery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surgery Recovery   Surgery Recovery Empty

Back to top Go down

Surgery Recovery
Page 1 of 1